Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Old Boys network 22:22 - Jun 18 with 2592 viewsVancouverHoop

As a matter of interest just how many ex-players has the club employed in a managerial or off-field capacity since, say 2000?

Off the top of my head I've got:

Gerry Francis
John Gregory
Gary Waddock
Iain Dowie
Ray Wilkins
Ian Holloway (twice)
Gareth Ainsworth
John Eustace
Les Ferdinand
and all three Gallen brothers

Sir Les and the Gallens apart they were all first team managers, but there were likely more I've forgotten or never knew about.
The Old Boys network on 22:31 - Jun 18 with 2543 viewsQPR_Jim

John Eustace never played for us.

Marc Bircham, Alan McDonald and Paul Furlong have both had coaching roles at the club. Gary Penrice as a scout. Andy Sinton works for the clubs as well strictly speaking.
The Old Boys network on 22:38 - Jun 18 with 2523 viewsVancouverHoop

Cheers. (can't believe why I thought Eustace played for us!)
The Old Boys network on 22:47 - Jun 18 with 2511 viewsKernowRanger

Andy Impey and Ademole Bankole both currently coaches in the academy
[Post edited 18 Jun 2023 22:48]
The Old Boys network on 10:06 - Jun 19 with 2369 viewsterryb

Paul Furlong
The Old Boys network on 10:16 - Jun 19 with 2348 viewsdaveB

This is the case at every club, they all have former players working for them
The Old Boys network on 10:34 - Jun 19 with 2297 viewsterryb

The Old Boys network on 10:16 - Jun 19 by daveB

This is the case at every club, they all have former players working for them

I'm sure you're correct Dave, but I doubt that many clubs employ as many as first team managerr/coach. 7 of the names mentioned have held that position, which I sugest is above average.

In my time of supporting Rangers I can add the following :- Stock, Allen, Sibley, Venables, T Francis & Hollins.
The Old Boys network on 11:13 - Jun 19 with 2207 viewsQPR_Jim

The Old Boys network on 10:34 - Jun 19 by terryb

I'm sure you're correct Dave, but I doubt that many clubs employ as many as first team managerr/coach. 7 of the names mentioned have held that position, which I sugest is above average.

In my time of supporting Rangers I can add the following :- Stock, Allen, Sibley, Venables, T Francis & Hollins.

I'm not sure that the amount of former players we've had is a concern to be honest. It's quite common to get ex-players back to coach (especially within the youth team) once they've retired and have done/are doing their coaching badges. I'd imagine it would reflect well on the club with players that we don't just abandon them after they've served their purpose for the first team. There are many other coaches which weren't former players, so it's not like a limitation we've imposed upon ourselves.

Since 2000, as manager we've had Francis, Holloway, Waddock, Gregory, Dowie and now Ainsworth who were former players. Of them I only think only Waddock was his first role as manager, so whilst they were ex-players they've mostly cut their teeth and been successful elsewhere before getting the job. Again it's not exclusively ex players being hired as manager, so we're not doing it at the expense of better candidates who haven't played for us.
The Old Boys network on 11:22 - Jun 19 with 2195 viewsAntti_Heinola

I don't think it's a negative at all. It is if they are poor appointments only made because they used to play for us. It's good to have people around who understand the culture and the history of the club. In terms of managers since 1990 with a previous association with the club versus those without one, the former wins out doesn't it? Warnock and Warbs apart, the others have not fared that well. Ray Wilkins even got us to a FA Cup QF!

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

The Old Boys network on 11:42 - Jun 19 with 2142 viewsfrancisbowles

The Old Boys network on 22:31 - Jun 18 by QPR_Jim

John Eustace never played for us.

Marc Bircham, Alan McDonald and Paul Furlong have both had coaching roles at the club. Gary Penrice as a scout. Andy Sinton works for the clubs as well strictly speaking.

Wayne Fereday works with Andy Sinton on match days and special events.
The Old Boys network on 14:41 - Jun 19 with 1992 viewsdaveB

The Old Boys network on 10:34 - Jun 19 by terryb

Our last 15 full time managers only 2 have played for us before (Holloway & Ainsworth)

Those 15 are - Luigi Di Canio, Paulo Sousa, Jim Magilton, Paul Hart, Neil Warnock, Mark Hughes, Harry Redknapp, Chris Ramsey, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Ian Holloway, Steve McClaren, Mark Warburton, Mick Beale, Neil Critchley and Gareth Ainsworth

The 15 before that 9 of them were ex players but was more normal at all clubs then
The Old Boys network on 16:11 - Jun 19 with 1929 viewsterryb

The Old Boys network on 14:41 - Jun 19 by daveB

Our last 15 full time managers only 2 have played for us before (Holloway & Ainsworth)

Those 15 are - Luigi Di Canio, Paulo Sousa, Jim Magilton, Paul Hart, Neil Warnock, Mark Hughes, Harry Redknapp, Chris Ramsey, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Ian Holloway, Steve McClaren, Mark Warburton, Mick Beale, Neil Critchley and Gareth Ainsworth

The 15 before that 9 of them were ex players but was more normal at all clubs then

It doesn't make much difference, but you've left out Ian Dowie.

At least, my memory tells me that he was after Di Canio!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 16:23]
The Old Boys network on 17:03 - Jun 19 with 1882 viewsdaveB

The Old Boys network on 16:11 - Jun 19 by terryb

It doesn't make much difference, but you've left out Ian Dowie.

At least, my memory tells me that he was after Di Canio!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 16:23]

your right forgot about him, so 3 of the last 15 been former players. I had assumed it was a lot more to be honest
The Old Boys network on 17:10 - Jun 19 with 1877 viewsterryb

The Old Boys network on 17:03 - Jun 19 by daveB

your right forgot about him, so 3 of the last 15 been former players. I had assumed it was a lot more to be honest

I think that reflects how many managers we've had since we were taken over by Briatore & Eccleston!

Our first four managers this century were all ex players!
The Old Boys network on 18:19 - Jun 19 with 1828 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Paul Furlong
Marc Bircham
Gary Penrice
Andy Sinton

I swear Zesh Rehman sold me a hotdog in the upper loft the other month.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 18:21]
The Old Boys network on 08:50 - Jun 20 with 1702 viewsDWQPR

The Old Boys network on 22:47 - Jun 18 by KernowRanger

Andy Impey and Ademole Bankole both currently coaches in the academy
[Post edited 18 Jun 2023 22:48]

Bankole!!!!!! Assume working with our young keepers? Christ on a bike, Jimmy Krankie would have been a better choice. In the one half I saw Bankole play, against Tranmere if I recall I have never been so terrified in my life.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The Old Boys network on 09:13 - Jun 20 with 1663 viewsdaveB

The Old Boys network on 17:10 - Jun 19 by terryb

I think that reflects how many managers we've had since we were taken over by Briatore & Eccleston!

Our first four managers this century were all ex players!

Yeah I did say the 15 before that 9 of them were ex players, we did quite well under most of them as well
The Old Boys network on 07:54 - Jun 21 with 1503 viewspaulhoop2

The Old Boys network on 08:50 - Jun 20 by DWQPR

Bankole!!!!!! Assume working with our young keepers? Christ on a bike, Jimmy Krankie would have been a better choice. In the one half I saw Bankole play, against Tranmere if I recall I have never been so terrified in my life.

I raised this years ago got no replies on here lol George has been with us a long time now worryingly he is highly rated as a coach. I was at that Tranmere game. Feel so old !!

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

The Old Boys network on 23:50 - Jun 21 with 1382 viewsnumptydumpty

Any organisation jobs for the boys and girls is always very very common.

What's the phrase - "better the devil you know."

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024