Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colombia trip 14:16 - Jun 26 with 2935 viewsThird_Division_South

It was reported a few months ago that Belk and Les went to Colombia on a scouting trip. This poses a few questions.

Presumably, they wouldn’t have gone all that way with the expense it would have incurred on a whim so it seems likely that certain targets had been identified. Since then it’s all gone quiet.

So a couple of thoughts,

Are these sort of overseas trips a regular thing but we just don’t hear about them? Not sure about that with our budget problems.

Would these targets likely to have been data driven, ie Belk spots?

Now that Les has gone are these targets now off the table?

I understand that it’s likely nobody will have any answers but I’d be interested in hearing what others think

Colombia trip on 14:35 - Jun 26 with 2833 viewslightwaterhoop

I would be more inclined to look at Argentina.What we could do with a couple of players like Gino and Ale.Playing in London might suit them as well.
Colombia trip on 14:49 - Jun 26 with 2768 viewsderbyhoop

How many of us knew about Paal before we signed him.
Before then we had Polter, Chery, Ngbakoto, Wzolek.

Sometimes the club manages to do deals that aren't pre announced by clickbait Web sites.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Colombia trip on 15:31 - Jun 26 with 2577 viewsHooping_Mad

Good post, I couldn't understand why we all collectively shrugged our shoulders at this one. When we couldn't scout a striker 30 minutes away I did wonder exactly what we were picking up in Columbia?

To be fair Les did have the energy to sit down with Clive right after he landed, probably squeezed in a health spa along the way or something.

Absolutely nothing fishy about this business trip at all. I'd love to be wrong but very much doubt it.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Colombia trip on 17:37 - Jun 26 with 2313 viewsQPR_Jim

Colombia trip on 15:31 - Jun 26 by Hooping_Mad

Good post, I couldn't understand why we all collectively shrugged our shoulders at this one. When we couldn't scout a striker 30 minutes away I did wonder exactly what we were picking up in Columbia?

To be fair Les did have the energy to sit down with Clive right after he landed, probably squeezed in a health spa along the way or something.

Absolutely nothing fishy about this business trip at all. I'd love to be wrong but very much doubt it.

Nonsense. Hull proved that you could sign columbians under the current rules with Estupinan who was doing well. 10-15k on a trip down there to watch some of the players they'd looked at in the flesh and see what the general level of the league's are, isn't outrageous.
Colombia trip on 17:52 - Jun 26 with 2249 viewsdaveB

Isn't this quite normal to look at players in other countries

I doubt they are going to announce who they were looking at and if they want them same as with every other player they look at
Colombia trip on 18:12 - Jun 26 with 2188 viewsHooping_Mad

Colombia trip on 17:37 - Jun 26 by QPR_Jim

Nonsense. Hull proved that you could sign columbians under the current rules with Estupinan who was doing well. 10-15k on a trip down there to watch some of the players they'd looked at in the flesh and see what the general level of the league's are, isn't outrageous.

I wouldn't take my comments on this too seriously. The trip was a bit of a piss take so i'm treating it in the same regard.

Colombia trip on 18:24 - Jun 26 with 2132 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Honestly lads, is this for real?

Pre 2015 we were signing players who were rinsing us dry to the tune of millions of pounds because our football knowledge, connections, and pool only extended to Kia Joorabchian’s iPhone contacts.

If you want unearthed gems, you better look for them.

Of all the things thrown at Les Ferdinand both justified and unjustified, THIS is the most ridiculous.
Colombia trip on 20:16 - Jun 26 with 1939 viewsRanger_Things

Fcksake lads. Haven’t we decided on a new scapegoat yet? I’d really like to know who to abuse on twitter. Preferably before the Slavia Prague game but if not then definitely before we get tonked at Wimbledon.
Login to get fewer ads

Colombia trip on 20:59 - Jun 26 with 1868 viewsThird_Division_South

Colombia trip on 20:16 - Jun 26 by Ranger_Things

Fcksake lads. Haven’t we decided on a new scapegoat yet? I’d really like to know who to abuse on twitter. Preferably before the Slavia Prague game but if not then definitely before we get tonked at Wimbledon.

Sorry, I didn’t start this thread to have a go at anyone. I think it’s a good idea to be scouting anywhere in the world. I was just wondering how often our recruitment team go abroad on trips like this and if it was with definite targets in mind.
Colombia trip on 21:58 - Jun 26 with 1750 viewsHooping_Mad

Colombia trip on 20:59 - Jun 26 by Third_Division_South

Sorry, I didn’t start this thread to have a go at anyone. I think it’s a good idea to be scouting anywhere in the world. I was just wondering how often our recruitment team go abroad on trips like this and if it was with definite targets in mind.

It's difficult not to be cynical but I would imagine whatever strategy was in place in will be under review.

I'm all for scouting and casting the net wide, however there have been some incredible scouting failures a lot closer to home than Columbia that's the point I think a few are missing here.

Maybe who is doing the scouting and to what plan will become clearer by the end of summer but I can't see GA scouting Columbia, Costa Rica or Argentina anytime soon.

Tuff either way for the club as you can't announce who you've identified as a target without bumping any prospective fee's. With that in mind it's again difficult to know how close our scouts whoever they are may be getting.

We need to be realistic about this season prospects and won't be helped pinning our hopes on the next Ale Faurlin turning up.

I think we are in more Stuart Wardley territory personally.

Colombia trip on 23:14 - Jun 26 with 1613 viewsLblock

“Did you pack your own suitcases for the return journey Sir??????”

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Colombia trip on 09:54 - Jun 27 with 1359 viewsrobith

oh, I'm planning on going on holiday there next year, was hoping this would be full of recommendations.

Anyone got Les' number? I need to know where's good to stay in Cartagena
Colombia trip on 09:59 - Jun 27 with 1353 viewsflynnbo

Colombia trip on 09:54 - Jun 27 by robith

oh, I'm planning on going on holiday there next year, was hoping this would be full of recommendations.

La Manga?
Colombia trip on 10:29 - Jun 27 with 1305 viewsQPunkR

Colombia trip on 09:54 - Jun 27 by robith

tbf he's got some time on his hands, he can fly you there by helicopter

QPR - "shit but local"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024