Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Tourism 10:58 - Jul 17 with 43166 viewsDr_Winston

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/16/huge-market-untapped-lack-of-vis

Already on its knees in recent years thanks to the Welsh Govts unnecessarily heavy Covid restrictions, refusal to deal with M4 congestion and seeming intention to actually make getting around in Wales even harder. To top that off we've still got the mooted tourist tax to come.

Is there anything in this country that they can't screw up?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Tourism on 15:14 - Jul 18 with 1198 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Tourism on 14:22 - Jul 18 by builthjack

Tourism is thriving in Mid Wales. Very busy.
I have a good friend near Tenby and they are booked up all summer until early October.
People will always turn up in nice places.

That's good to hear but I've been to stay in Tenby three times so far this year and the regular bars and restaurants and I go are all saying about 30% down this year. Places I normally need to book you can walk in and tables are empty. Walking about, the fish and chip shops had queues and now there are none. I'll update you when I go next in August which is peak season.
Welsh Tourism on 15:23 - Jul 18 with 1189 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 15:14 - Jul 18 by Whiterockin

That's good to hear but I've been to stay in Tenby three times so far this year and the regular bars and restaurants and I go are all saying about 30% down this year. Places I normally need to book you can walk in and tables are empty. Walking about, the fish and chip shops had queues and now there are none. I'll update you when I go next in August which is peak season.

I’ve been reading a sizeable article refuting what Builth posts.
A tax will not exactly encourage people to go to Wales.
Many of our British resorts still do not handle tourists as they could,although much is to do with our weather.
Seaside vacations abroad are much more reliable ,more convenient and pleasant.
Our waters are cold and often unpleasant with raw sewerage still piling into the seas.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh Tourism on 16:18 - Jul 18 with 1153 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 13:49 - Jul 18 by Fireboy2

Tbh I dont see many people commending anything welsh.

It just isn't right to praise, its more fashionable to bash.

Right then, the people of Wales are, by and large, wonderful. Our beaches are beautiful as is our countryside.

What will any of that matter when our Senedd is turning Wales into an undesirable place to visit?
What will any of that matter when our Senedd is killing our economy?

Wht does any of that matter when the Senedd is ruining our childrens futures and it encourages young people to leave Wales, whther by accident or not?
Welsh Tourism on 16:32 - Jul 18 with 1151 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 16:18 - Jul 18 by SullutaCreturned

Right then, the people of Wales are, by and large, wonderful. Our beaches are beautiful as is our countryside.

What will any of that matter when our Senedd is turning Wales into an undesirable place to visit?

Wht does any of that matter when the Senedd is ruining our childrens futures and it encourages young people to leave Wales, whther by accident or not?

Best thing for welsh tourism would be to have a share of global warming .
Nowhere is fun the rain.
It is horrendous up here today as it’s been the whole month.
Entertaining kids in the passing west is no fun.

Welsh Tourism on 18:17 - Jul 18 with 1099 viewsFireboy2

Welsh Tourism on 16:18 - Jul 18 by SullutaCreturned

I don't think the way the senedd is run stops people from going to holiday in or visit Wales, people will always visit because it has beautiful countryside, beaches and there is plenty to do.

I've no idea on what the senedd does re the economy.
Welsh Tourism on 18:44 - Jul 18 with 1073 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 18:17 - Jul 18 by Fireboy2

I don't think the way the senedd is run stops people from going to holiday in or visit Wales, people will always visit because it has beautiful countryside, beaches and there is plenty to do.

I've no idea on what the senedd does re the economy.

And that's the part you've clearly missed. The queues at the Brynglass tunnels, the tourist taxes, the other silly thinsg they do that will put tourists off like reducing the speeds on our roads, refusingt upgrade roads.

PS, I never said it stops people but it does make it a less desirable choice, the Senedd should be improving Wales.

The economy is stagnating anywhere outside South East Wales and the Senedd's refusal to upgrade the infrastruture is making thigs worse. I can accept that things are not better in England but the Senedd doesn't run England. England is Westminsters fault and I can say quite a bit about them too.

Things here could be better, they should be better.
Welsh Tourism on 20:49 - Jul 18 with 1029 viewsRhonddaSwans

Congestion 😂 ever driven in London pal?

Poll: Will we beat Poland?

Welsh Tourism on 20:51 - Jul 18 with 1028 viewsbuilthjack

Welsh Tourism on 18:44 - Jul 18 by SullutaCreturned

And that's the part you've clearly missed. The queues at the Brynglass tunnels, the tourist taxes, the other silly thinsg they do that will put tourists off like reducing the speeds on our roads, refusingt upgrade roads.

PS, I never said it stops people but it does make it a less desirable choice, the Senedd should be improving Wales.

The economy is stagnating anywhere outside South East Wales and the Senedd's refusal to upgrade the infrastruture is making thigs worse. I can accept that things are not better in England but the Senedd doesn't run England. England is Westminsters fault and I can say quite a bit about them too.

Things here could be better, they should be better.

So Wales is no good to go on holiday.
England is no good to go on holiday.
Scotland or the North of Ireland any good?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh Tourism on 21:20 - Jul 18 with 1010 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Tourism on 20:49 - Jul 18 by RhonddaSwans

Most tourists don't need to, it has a brilliant infrastructure for tourists to get about quickly.
Welsh Tourism on 23:18 - Jul 18 with 953 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 20:49 - Jul 18 by RhonddaSwans

Underground
Check it out
Buses everywhere
Cabs too
Even ferries

Swansea , a large area, I'd still hard to get to from many places in Wales without a car
It should be a focal point with s real transport network
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 23:20]

Welsh Tourism on 06:34 - Jul 19 with 930 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/162/welsh-affairs-committee/news/1963

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Welsh Tourism on 06:56 - Jul 19 with 920 viewsAguycalledJack

My personal experience of matters relating to this topic are :

Was on a trip away a few years ago in Berlin. We did one of those walking tours. There was a Japanese travel agent on the trip. Got talking and she said she’d been to wales on a marketing trip run by welsh gov. She spent her time in Cardiff and went on that zip wire which is up north for 1 day. She knew nothing of Gower and Pembrokeshire and the beaches.

Make of that what you will.

I’ve got friends from stoke who visit. Last time they visited were stuck for over an hour at the tunnels. They couldn’t believe how narrow minded it was that the wag had turned down money to develop that section of the M4.

You can view the dual carriageway from Carmarthen to Tenby from my upstairs window. Tell you what, the traffic heading down on a Thursday and Friday and heading back on a Monday is nowhere near what it has previously been.
Welsh Tourism on 07:25 - Jul 19 with 907 viewsraynor94

Welsh Tourism on 15:14 - Jul 18 by Whiterockin

Agree, was in Tenby and Milford last weekend I was surprised how quiet it was.

Perhaps it will pick up in the school holidays.

But this Labour government seem to be doing its best to put people off

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Welsh Tourism on 07:41 - Jul 19 with 903 viewsBoundy

It's like an episode ( if a ever there was a TV series) of the Emperor's new clothes , everything is fine and wonderful in Wales because its not England.No criticism of the WAG is allowed and if it gets past the censors then its deemed as an attack on Wales itself .It may well be that tourism is booming in parts of mid Wales and someone has a nice day out in the north but considering that our country is supposed to geared towards tourism as the great savior of the Welsh economy then god help us .The Welsh affairs committee is concerned Wales attracts "such a small proportion" of visitors to the UK.

Of 41 million international holidaymakers to the UK in 2019, just over one million visited Wales.

Visit Wales said it would work with VisitBritain on how Wales is marketed.

A report by MPs on the committee highlighted the country's "relatively low profile overseas" and said "Wales lacks a coherent brand for the overseas market".

The report said £28bn was spent in the UK by international tourists in 2019, but only £515m - 2% - of that was spent in Wales

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh Tourism on 08:38 - Jul 19 with 877 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh Tourism on 07:25 - Jul 19 by raynor94

I’m not surprised tourism has dropped off, over the last few years we’ve had the pandemic which has either prevented or due to uncertainty encouraged people to holiday in the U.K. and Wales, this year we’ve got a cost of living crises and interest rates have gone up significantly taking a lot of money out of peoples pockets.
You say Labour seem to be doing it’s best to put people off, the Conservatives in London seem to be doing their best to mess everything up.

FWIW I am generally pro Senedd, but Drakers and Lee Waters need booting out. Boris offered money for the M4 relief road, but whether that was a political stunt we’ll never know. Most of the stuff that was promised about the levelling up across the U.K., the 40 new hospitals has all been smoke and mirrors and nothing of substance is taking place. Drakers should have accepted the money and called Boris’s bluff.
Welsh Tourism on 09:10 - Jul 19 with 856 viewsonehunglow

Seems some very pertinent observations on here now.
It is NOT Wales bashing .
It is concern,no more ,no less.

Welsh Tourism on 09:12 - Jul 19 with 854 viewscontroversial_jack

Welsh Tourism on 07:25 - Jul 19 by raynor94

Tenby, is expensive to eat and drink. Don't know about Milford, i've never been there. Expensive to eat or drink anywhere in the Uk now. Better value to holiday overseas
Welsh Tourism on 09:19 - Jul 19 with 851 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 09:12 - Jul 19 by controversial_jack

Tenby, is expensive to eat and drink. Don't know about Milford, i've never been there. Expensive to eat or drink anywhere in the Uk now. Better value to holiday overseas

What grips me is pubs charging gourmet prices for microwaved pap.
I don’t mind paying restaurants prices but not overpriced comfort food.
Recently paid over £ 100 here for &our pub meals and four drinks .
absolute sheete

In Greece ,we were paying £60 for fresh caught local fish ,drinks all evening and a free dessert as a thank you ,all served in warm evening sunshine by somebody smiling as they served you.
No comparison.

Welsh Tourism on 09:54 - Jul 19 with 822 viewsTogg

I don't often agree with you but you are spot on. I can buy two drinks over looking the beautiful Langland Bay which will cost me £16.00. I do the same in Nerja in Spain. With bar practically on the beach. With sunshine. It will cost me just over 6 euro. In the town cheaper with a free Tapa.
We enjoy one or two weekends to South Devon but it doesn't half put a dent in your wallet.
Welsh Tourism on 09:57 - Jul 19 with 820 viewsTogg

Welsh Tourism on 09:19 - Jul 19 by onehunglow

What grips me is pubs charging gourmet prices for microwaved pap.
I don’t mind paying restaurants prices but not overpriced comfort food.
Recently paid over £ 100 here for &our pub meals and four drinks .
absolute sheete

In Greece ,we were paying £60 for fresh caught local fish ,drinks all evening and a free dessert as a thank you ,all served in warm evening sunshine by somebody smiling as they served you.
No comparison.

Yep...that's the way i look at it!
Welsh Tourism on 09:57 - Jul 19 with 819 viewsWhiterockin

The reason it is expensive, as it always has been, is because the are no national chain pubs and restaurants to force the prices down. It's the same in Milford and many places in the UK without competition from brand establishments. It didn't hinder the tourist trade before though.
Welsh Tourism on 09:59 - Jul 19 with 818 viewsTogg

Welsh Tourism on 09:57 - Jul 19 by Whiterockin

The reason it is expensive, as it always has been, is because the are no national chain pubs and restaurants to force the prices down. It's the same in Milford and many places in the UK without competition from brand establishments. It didn't hinder the tourist trade before though.

Good point but personally I have found pub prices have rocketed since before COVID.
Welsh Tourism on 11:06 - Jul 19 with 793 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Tourism on 09:59 - Jul 19 by Togg

Good point but personally I have found pub prices have rocketed since before COVID.

As has the price of everything. Apart from food inflation the living wage has gone up over 20% which affects hospitality hard, not that people aren't entitled to it. Throw in the shortage of staff forcing the wages higher, look in the windows at all the staff vacancies. Then add in businesses are trying to make back what they lost during covid, to cover the loans they had to take out. Its not just Wales it's happening everywhere.
Welsh Tourism on 11:11 - Jul 19 with 785 viewscontroversial_jack

Welsh Tourism on 11:06 - Jul 19 by Whiterockin

As has the price of everything. Apart from food inflation the living wage has gone up over 20% which affects hospitality hard, not that people aren't entitled to it. Throw in the shortage of staff forcing the wages higher, look in the windows at all the staff vacancies. Then add in businesses are trying to make back what they lost during covid, to cover the loans they had to take out. Its not just Wales it's happening everywhere.

We recently called in our local Harvester as we were passing. £47, for two of us , one course each and a drink.There's absolutely no justification in that.We won't be returning
Welsh Tourism on 11:24 - Jul 19 with 773 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 09:57 - Jul 19 by Togg

Yep...that's the way i look at it!

We were staying in Teignmouth two weeks ago. It was ok
Nerja a place we love. Hotel on the Balcon is something .
We ve not been though since the Sewer Plant saga and I miss the Three Cliffs Bar.
It’s Lanzarote for us now .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024