Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moroccan Earthquake 20:42 - Sep 9 with 2092 viewsSuperhoops2808

Absolutely appalling scenes in a place where many have likely been on holiday

I believe Ilias Chair is out there on international duty.

Can see the 1,000 death toll rising similar to Turkey
Moroccan Earthquake on 22:34 - Sep 9 with 1969 viewsCateLeBonR

I had a great time out there when I went and I'll happily go back. Wouldn't be my first choice of places to go during an earthquake I'll admit. Not sure what my first choice would be though. Thoughts and prayers to all those affected.
Moroccan Earthquake on 22:43 - Sep 9 with 1944 viewsbosh67

An absolute tragedy. Maybe I'm wrong but these things seem to be happening more regularly?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Moroccan Earthquake on 22:50 - Sep 9 with 1914 viewscolinallcars

It's unimaginable to us isn't it ?
We piss and moan about the weather here but look at this.
The international response tends to be quick and generous as I'm sure it will be in this case.
All we can do is chip in a few quid to Unicef and the like.
Bless all the relief workers.
Moroccan Earthquake on 23:01 - Sep 9 with 1900 viewsCateLeBonR

Moroccan Earthquake on 22:43 - Sep 9 by bosh67

An absolute tragedy. Maybe I'm wrong but these things seem to be happening more regularly?

Them Atlas Mountains aren't there for a laugh.
Moroccan Earthquake on 18:25 - Sep 10 with 1595 viewsGloryHunter

https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/morocco-earthquake-appeal

Or, if you prefer:
https://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/islamic-relief-launches-emergency-appeal-for-d

I have been to some of those villages up in the Atlas. What I remember most - apart from the stunning scenery - is the huge smiles on everyones' faces when they meet a couple of hapless Europeans stumbling along the tracks. Absolutely heartbreaking to think what has happened to them.
Moroccan Earthquake on 19:09 - Sep 10 with 1519 viewsBoston

Moroccan Earthquake on 22:34 - Sep 9 by CateLeBonR

I had a great time out there when I went and I'll happily go back. Wouldn't be my first choice of places to go during an earthquake I'll admit. Not sure what my first choice would be though. Thoughts and prayers to all those affected.

An aeroplane?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Moroccan Earthquake on 19:26 - Sep 10 with 1476 viewsBoston

Moroccan Earthquake on 22:43 - Sep 9 by bosh67

They are not happening more regularly.

What is happening is that improved measurement devices have been developed, so we are better informed. Though you don't need a machine to tell you there was a bloody big quake in Marrakesh.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Moroccan Earthquake on 19:30 - Sep 10 with 1471 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Moroccan Earthquake on 18:25 - Sep 10 by GloryHunter

https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/morocco-earthquake-appeal

Or, if you prefer:
https://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/islamic-relief-launches-emergency-appeal-for-d

I have been to some of those villages up in the Atlas. What I remember most - apart from the stunning scenery - is the huge smiles on everyones' faces when they meet a couple of hapless Europeans stumbling along the tracks. Absolutely heartbreaking to think what has happened to them.

Was there last year climbing Mount Toubkal and couldn't agree more.

The Berbers we met were incredibly friendly, funny and wise. I found their young people in particular to be mature and calm. I was very uncertain about going to Morocco following a wise post on here about subjugation of Women and their occupation of Western Sahara, and some of what I witnessed further North has me thinking to this day, but I loved the time in the Atlas Mountains among the Berbers. Been thinking a lot about them and wondering and hoping they escaped this tragedy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Moroccan Earthquake on 21:55 - Sep 10 with 1339 viewsCateLeBonR

Moroccan Earthquake on 19:26 - Sep 10 by Boston

They are not happening more regularly.

What is happening is that improved measurement devices have been developed, so we are better informed. Though you don't need a machine to tell you there was a bloody big quake in Marrakesh.

Also everyone's got a camera these days so it's all much more reportable. You get all the before during and after footage whereas before you'd get some grainy footage of a reporter in a far flung place you knew little about.

Echoing the sentiment in previous posts about the people there. Wise and friendly and happy and I can still picture their faces in the villages when I cycled past wearing my Adel Taarabt t-shirt.
Moroccan Earthquake on 09:09 - Sep 11 with 1157 viewsSuperhoops2808

Also good to see Ilias and his teammates giving blood to help out

Lets hope we get significant aid and help out there as soon as possible.
Moroccan Earthquake on 14:06 - Sep 11 with 1056 viewsWatford_Ranger

Moroccan Earthquake on 19:30 - Sep 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Was there last year climbing Mount Toubkal and couldn't agree more.

The Berbers we met were incredibly friendly, funny and wise. I found their young people in particular to be mature and calm. I was very uncertain about going to Morocco following a wise post on here about subjugation of Women and their occupation of Western Sahara, and some of what I witnessed further North has me thinking to this day, but I loved the time in the Atlas Mountains among the Berbers. Been thinking a lot about them and wondering and hoping they escaped this tragedy.

I did Toubkal a few years ago (the weekend we drew at Fulham and Wzoslek scored). Beautiful place. Bloody difficult hike given it was unexpectedly still snowing. Been to Marrakech a few times with and without girlfriends and have always found the people to be friendly and quite respectful of women compared to other places- Egypt the worst in my one experience.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024