Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hitting Rock Bottom 11:59 - Oct 10 with 2342 viewsThe_Beast1976

It seems to me that medium (ish) sized clubs in a mess like us have to first hit rock bottom (which we're not at yet) before they manage to sort themselves out and come back. Recent examples (sure there are plenty more):

Luton - Conference, now Prem
Notts County - Conference, now League 2 (but currently top and could well be in League 1 next season)
Leyton Orient - Conference, now League 1
Portsmouth - League 2, now top of League 1
Sunderland - League 1, now 4th in Championship
Ipswich - League 1, now 2nd in Championship

The board/owners are a real life walking talking disaster. It's probably going to take the board/owners going, and perhaps a subsequent crash into League 1 at least, before we can start to sort ourselves out. Others have done it (as shown above).....

The only exception I can think of seems to be Charlton
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 12:00]
Hitting Rock Bottom on 12:39 - Oct 10 with 2191 viewsJuzzie

Let's not repeat the often said comment "maybe we have to go down a division to consolidate and come straight back up".

Going down is never an option.
Hitting Rock Bottom on 12:48 - Oct 10 with 2150 viewsThe_Beast1976

Hitting Rock Bottom on 12:39 - Oct 10 by Juzzie

Let's not repeat the often said comment "maybe we have to go down a division to consolidate and come straight back up".

Not saying we'd come straight back up. None of the other teams in my post did either. However, they got their mess cleaned up and finally cake back up.

In an ideal world the owners go now, we somehow stay up, and we sort out mess out without a relegation. However, sorting a financial mess out in the Championship seems to be almost impossible 😞
Hitting Rock Bottom on 12:49 - Oct 10 with 2137 viewsDamo1962

We might not have any choice, looking at results and performances. Think we are the worst team in the division TBH. I'm starting to buy into the idea that our owners don't care if we go down...and maybe even want it.
Hitting Rock Bottom on 13:01 - Oct 10 with 2082 viewsHayesender

I'd like to know more about this Richard Reilly fella, and what are his long term intentions? He seems to be the only stake holder who is actually showing any interest, but we know nothing about him

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Hitting Rock Bottom on 13:07 - Oct 10 with 2051 viewsMatch82

Agree with the point about the championship being a difficult league to sort your finances out in, but only Sunderland and Ipswich really did that. And Luton I guess.

There's a bunch of other clubs that were championship Mainstays once that have gone down and stayed down. Tranmere, Swindon, Oldham, Grimsby, all in league 2 or lower without looking like they're coming back.

I'm also nervous that the FA are taking a long hard look at Wrexham and trying to decide what set of rules they're going to make up to prevent them spending their way up the leagues. Whatever it is I'm sure we'll get screwed somehow as a result
Hitting Rock Bottom on 13:12 - Oct 10 with 2015 viewsJuzzie

Hitting Rock Bottom on 12:48 - Oct 10 by The_Beast1976

Not saying we'd come straight back up. None of the other teams in my post did either. However, they got their mess cleaned up and finally cake back up.

In an ideal world the owners go now, we somehow stay up, and we sort out mess out without a relegation. However, sorting a financial mess out in the Championship seems to be almost impossible 😞

I know you didn't say that but i've heard many times that we should go down and come 'straight back up'. It rarely happens.

OK, the owners who are pumping £1.5m+ a month into the club go. Who then comes in?
Not saying the owners are doing a sterling job but we now have a training ground that was delayed 7+ years thanks to SWF.

The utopian ideas people come up with are wonderful. Reality is not the same.
Hitting Rock Bottom on 13:17 - Oct 10 with 1997 viewsNed_Kennedys

Hitting Rock Bottom on 13:07 - Oct 10 by Match82

Agree with the point about the championship being a difficult league to sort your finances out in, but only Sunderland and Ipswich really did that. And Luton I guess.

There's a bunch of other clubs that were championship Mainstays once that have gone down and stayed down. Tranmere, Swindon, Oldham, Grimsby, all in league 2 or lower without looking like they're coming back.

I'm also nervous that the FA are taking a long hard look at Wrexham and trying to decide what set of rules they're going to make up to prevent them spending their way up the leagues. Whatever it is I'm sure we'll get screwed somehow as a result

Yeah most clubs of our size and history who drop down to League 1 rarely come straight back up.

And would expect our luck would mean if we did go down the EFL would decide to install FFP restrictions in League One based on Wrexham’s possible for throwing money around to get an advantage.
Hitting Rock Bottom on 14:13 - Oct 10 with 1840 viewsMalintabuk

Hitting Rock Bottom on 13:17 - Oct 10 by Ned_Kennedys

Yeah most clubs of our size and history who drop down to League 1 rarely come straight back up.

And would expect our luck would mean if we did go down the EFL would decide to install FFP restrictions in League One based on Wrexham’s possible for throwing money around to get an advantage.

I think you may very well be right about this a FFP moving into the lower leagues
Wrexham and Gillingham are 2 examples of this happening and even the EFL must be worried about this
Login to get fewer ads

Hitting Rock Bottom on 14:27 - Oct 10 with 1781 viewstoboboly

I don't think we are anywhere near the bottom, I doubt it will be as bad as Yeovil/Scunthorpe etc but it will get much worse

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Hitting Rock Bottom on 14:55 - Oct 10 with 1692 viewsMatch82

Hitting Rock Bottom on 13:17 - Oct 10 by Ned_Kennedys

Exactly my concern
Hitting Rock Bottom on 15:01 - Oct 10 with 1648 viewsdaveB

Just as many go down and don't come back.
Portsmouth have been in the lower 2 leagues for a decade now.
Charlton show no signs of coming back, Reading look a mess
Teams like Oldham, Scunthorpe, Stockport all show you can drop like a stone

I personally don't fancy going down, we're more than capable of staying up and doing well in this league

To be honest if last Saturday wasn't rock bottom I don't think I want to be around when we hit that point
Hitting Rock Bottom on 15:01 - Oct 10 with 1649 viewsslmrstid

When we last went down to League One in 2001 we were 5 years out from being a mainstay top flight team, we were one of the biggest names in the league with one of the biggest stadiums.

23 seasons later we won't be one of the biggest names, and we won't be having the biggest stadium. Football has moved on and a lot have left us behind.

I therefore very much fear we'd be in for a long stay , or even in for a drop to League Two.
Hitting Rock Bottom on 15:14 - Oct 10 with 1603 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Indeed. Just ask Wigan and Reading.
Hitting Rock Bottom on 16:36 - Oct 10 with 1448 viewsMole_Senior

Why do we need to get relegated in order to sort our mess out?

If the owners do want to sell the club (which I believe they do long term and then sell Loftus Road for flats) going down a division would only devalue their assets?

They have to act on GA and appoint a short term solution to see us out until the end of the season and then consider there options. Relegation is unthinkable and knowing us, it would take 4-5 years to bounce back!
Hitting Rock Bottom on 16:44 - Oct 10 with 1422 viewsBluce_Ree

This.

It's one thing to be losers, it's another to be bitches.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Hitting Rock Bottom on 16:53 - Oct 10 with 1387 viewsTacticalR

I have got a horrible feeling that some people are so punch drunk that they have convinced themselves that every defeat is really a victory.

Air hostess clique

Hitting Rock Bottom on 16:58 - Oct 10 with 1374 viewsCateLeBonR

Hitting Rock Bottom on 15:14 - Oct 10 by Benny_the_Ball

Indeed. Just ask Wigan and Reading.

Sheffield Wednesday and Derby too, although those four are exceptionally crap. Lots of other sides have benefitted after going down. Sunderland, Ipswich, Luton, Plymouth. Probably others I’ve forgotten. It doesn’t have to be the end.
Hitting Rock Bottom on 17:16 - Oct 10 with 1336 viewsderbyhoop

Probably not good to mention Southend, Bradford C, Oldham or Scunthorpe.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hitting Rock Bottom on 17:47 - Oct 10 with 1292 viewsCateLeBonR

Hitting Rock Bottom on 17:16 - Oct 10 by derbyhoop

Probably not good to mention Southend, Bradford C, Oldham or Scunthorpe.

How could we forget Charlton.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024