Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
good grief..... 10:31 - Dec 12 with 4708 viewswood_hoop

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/turkish-top-flight-suspended-vile-235043497.html
good grief..... on 20:42 - Dec 12 with 743 viewsstowmarketrange

I run the line for my granddaughter’s team on Sunday mornings and then my daughter’s women’s games in the afternoon,and I’m lucky that I don’t get too much stick normally,but the abuse the women give the refs in the afternoon games is getting worse.
One Sunday last month one of the opposing team was cold and volunteered to run the line for them.She was absolutely useless and only did it to keep warm,but she was stood in the same place for most of the half apart from one occasion when she was level with me on her attacking end of the pitch.
It isn’t always a pleasant job but I’ve started to enjoy it more and more.I’m not sure I’d enjoy the added abuse that comes in most of the men’s games though.
good grief..... on 20:51 - Dec 12 with 710 viewsNorthernr

good grief..... on 16:49 - Dec 12 by PhilmyRs

Interesting observations. I’m not sure where I stand on this. While I stated I’d never do the job for the money on offer, and agree making a job a more attractive financial package like you suggested will widen the pool of candidates, I just wonder if refereeing is different, and that by trying to encourage a different type of applicant, it may actually backfire in the long-run.

I think you need to be a certain type of character to become a referee. I tend to find the best have a bit of personality and instinct in their decision making, skills I don’t think are easy to train. I worry that ending up with a 150+ 21 year olds fresh out of grad school, capable of writing a thesis on the amount of tape a player is permitted to wear isn’t going to improve the spectacle, although they may technically know the rules a lot better. Football is very much about interpretation and training/learning skills as part of refereeing is very different to learning skills as a player. It’s the reason I can’t stand VAR, how certain events on a Football field are ‘interpreted’. How many times have we heard “well by the letter of the law, but…” If you have some expensive refereeing academy where up and coming referees are earning decent wages and getting some expensive training package, I worry about the impact they will have on games – a jobsworth style of refereeing perhaps which would ruin the spectacle even more.

Abuse is the issue and how referees are treated. Focussing on improving the standard of referees as part of the solution, feels to me that it’s not really dealing with the fundamental issue of how people act towards a ref. Almost like at the moment they’re justified in their actions, but get a different type of referee and these type of things will stop. I just think you need to really clamp down on it. Sin bins for moaning too much, managers banished to the stands straight away. You enforce those things, you stop a lot of the problems.

Mate atm at what we’ve got being fast tracked through. It’s your 150+ 21 year olds out of grad school, except there are only about 12 of them.
good grief..... on 22:58 - Dec 12 with 601 viewslightwaterhoop

Lets just hope Lee Hoos doesn't run on the pitch and chin the ref anytime soon.
good grief..... on 23:11 - Dec 12 with 574 viewsWegerles_Stairs

It's the kind of thing that would happen to us. We should be twinned with MKA Ankaragucu.
good grief..... on 23:16 - Dec 12 with 565 viewsstainrods_elbow

good grief..... on 10:40 - Dec 12 by loftboy

Seen some of the idiotic comments on Facebook, as someone who was assaulted whilst reffing it’s definitely not a laughing matter.

Quite so, but if Amit, Warbuton and Jude the Cat had run on and clocked Stroud after that Sunderland debacle, I'd have applauded!
[Post edited 12 Dec 2023 23:17]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

good grief..... on 05:12 - Dec 13 with 493 viewsChurchie

good grief..... on 14:41 - Dec 12 by Northernr

You'd need your fcking head examining to take up refereeing these days.

Zero support, zero training, zero money, maximum aggro. The parents were fcking horrendous when I was doing it 20 years ago. I was just a kid myself, refereeing kids a bit younger than me, and you've got Big Ron Manager types on the touchline in their initialled Brumby Beevers U11s tracksuit behaving like it's a fcking Champions League semi-final.

I did Gunness v Messingham U13s one year, I was probably 15/16 years old. I had a dad charge onto the pitch, during the match, to square up against me because I'd refused to show a yellow card to a 12/13 year old boy after he'd committed three fouls in the game. Not a bad foul, not a fight, nothing really. Just Mr Fcking Football wanting a child yellow carded for mistiming three tackles because "in the Premier League" that's a yellow card for repetitive fouling ref.

Now I wouldn't go near the job. Even our Monday Night 5-a-side games regularly descend into violence, or threats of violence. Little cnts saying they're going to stab you afterwards, know people who'll kill you, gotta knife in the bag behind the goal. Cnts deliberately trying to go over the ball and snap your leg because you've dared to take the lead, or have the ball off them. People aggressively surrounding and chasing referees around the pitch. And this is in fcking Islington, it's not like we're playing a midnight cage league in fcking Bermondsey. I've come to hate it really. Broke my hand two months ago and haven't been able to play and haven't missed it once.

To do the job in Turkey you'd have to be certifiable.

I was a low league referee in the UK. I am now retired and live in Turkiye and do tournaments vet games and an occasional youth game. Not all matches are an issue but when there is it can bad. And you are right sometimes I think I am certifiable.
good grief..... on 05:39 - Dec 13 with 489 viewsBenny_the_Ball

When I was younger I was keen on taking up refereeing until, that is, I saw a ref suckered punched by an opposition player. He'd blown full-time on our amateur match. As we were walking off the pitch this chap punched him from behind, and then ran off. A real coward's move. The poor bugger never saw it coming. Knocked him out cold, breaking his jaw in 3 places. The crazy thing is that they'd won the game! These refs used to get paid a mere £20 to receive dogs abuse week in, week out. Not for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024