Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Major FFP Reforms coming 11:36 - Mar 12 with 9948 viewsQPRConor2000

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but the PL are replacing the current PSR rules in the PL with new rules based on UEFAs new squad cost ratio.

This new rule would basically mean teams not competing in Europe are limited to spending 85% of their income on player wages, transfers along with agents fees, those in Europe will be limited to 70 percent.

I expect we will see these changes in the Championship as well.
Major FFP Reforms coming on 15:50 - Mar 18 with 1801 viewsstainrods_elbow

Major FFP Reforms coming on 11:59 - Mar 12 by Juzzie

There's got to be a way that owners can blow as much as they like on a club as long as the debt isn't saddled onto the club and the funds are in place first so you don't get owners leaving £millions in unpaid bills otherwise the Championship will just become PL MKII where the clubs with bigger stadia will have the advantage (maybe the intention, will curtail pesky little clubs having ideas above their station).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/GB2

Why has 'there got to be a way'? That just reduces football to (even more of) a lottery where if a club happens to snag a rich/mad owner with more money to burn than most, he can propel his club up the footballing food chain in double quick time.

Before you ask, I don't know what the answer is, or even if there can now be an answer, as the game lost its soul years ago.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Major FFP Reforms coming on 16:41 - Mar 18 with 1718 viewsJuzzie

Major FFP Reforms coming on 15:50 - Mar 18 by stainrods_elbow

Why has 'there got to be a way'? That just reduces football to (even more of) a lottery where if a club happens to snag a rich/mad owner with more money to burn than most, he can propel his club up the footballing food chain in double quick time.

Before you ask, I don't know what the answer is, or even if there can now be an answer, as the game lost its soul years ago.

"That just reduces football to (even more of) a lottery where if a club happens to snag a rich/mad owner with more money to burn than most, he can propel his club up the footballing food chain in double quick time."

That's pretty much what happened with us! Certainly once Warnock came on board. Other clubs too have risen with large injections of cash... Reading, Wigan, Blackburn & Fulham being other examples.

I just meant it in the sense that if an owner wants to splurge £millions on a club then the club must not be saddled with the debt, the debt is the owner(s).

FFP has effectively stopped/tried to stop clubs having owners doing this & going bust (I think that's what it's trying to do, I've lost track) but then it means clubs can only operate within their means so if you have a sub-20k stadium/fanbase then your income will be less than a club with 20k+ stadium/fanbase making it easier for the bigger clubs to generally have more success.

So, what to do..... rich owners but you risk going bust or play within your means
and know your place and stay forever in the doldrums.

Of course, none of it is fair, it never has been fair.
Major FFP Reforms coming on 16:56 - Mar 18 with 1664 viewsQPR_John

Major FFP Reforms coming on 15:50 - Mar 18 by stainrods_elbow

Football is no longer a lottery. When FFP was introduced certain clubs had already spent a lot of money and in effect pulled up the drawbridge. Many others had bigger stadiums than others and thus bigger incomes. Many were one city clubs with all that entails. Only once in the last ten seasons has the three promoted clubs from the championship not included at least one with parachute payments. . Over the last five seasons that rises to to two with parachute payments. In effect we are quickly moving to a close shop, the twenty teams in the Premier League and the three recently relegated. That's what FFP aided by the Premier League has done.
[Post edited 18 Mar 17:00]
Major FFP Reforms coming on 17:00 - Mar 18 with 1657 viewsterryb

Major FFP Reforms coming on 16:41 - Mar 18 by Juzzie

"That just reduces football to (even more of) a lottery where if a club happens to snag a rich/mad owner with more money to burn than most, he can propel his club up the footballing food chain in double quick time."

That's pretty much what happened with us! Certainly once Warnock came on board. Other clubs too have risen with large injections of cash... Reading, Wigan, Blackburn & Fulham being other examples.

I just meant it in the sense that if an owner wants to splurge £millions on a club then the club must not be saddled with the debt, the debt is the owner(s).

FFP has effectively stopped/tried to stop clubs having owners doing this & going bust (I think that's what it's trying to do, I've lost track) but then it means clubs can only operate within their means so if you have a sub-20k stadium/fanbase then your income will be less than a club with 20k+ stadium/fanbase making it easier for the bigger clubs to generally have more success.

So, what to do..... rich owners but you risk going bust or play within your means
and know your place and stay forever in the doldrums.

Of course, none of it is fair, it never has been fair.

The problem with this is that the club will be hit hard if the owner goes tits up!

They might not have saddled the club with debt, but take their finance away & inflated wages etc still have to be met. Exactly what happened to Wigan, Bolton, Reading & many others.

Having rich owners that have propelled their club to the top has been around since professionalism & the Football League came about. Preston started it & ever since owners have tried to take it to another level. In my lifetime Bob Lord at Burnley, Jack Walker at Blackburn & Jack Hayward at Wolves are possibly ther biggest examples.
Major FFP Reforms coming on 00:46 - Mar 19 with 1435 viewsThe_Beast1976

Major FFP Reforms coming on 16:56 - Mar 18 by QPR_John

Football is no longer a lottery. When FFP was introduced certain clubs had already spent a lot of money and in effect pulled up the drawbridge. Many others had bigger stadiums than others and thus bigger incomes. Many were one city clubs with all that entails. Only once in the last ten seasons has the three promoted clubs from the championship not included at least one with parachute payments. . Over the last five seasons that rises to to two with parachute payments. In effect we are quickly moving to a close shop, the twenty teams in the Premier League and the three recently relegated. That's what FFP aided by the Premier League has done.
[Post edited 18 Mar 17:00]

Precisely this
Major FFP Reforms coming on 08:14 - Mar 19 with 1315 viewsslmrstid

In truth couldn't it be said that we were also financially pumped by Jim Gregory in the 60s and 70s? Rich people coming into football clubs and pumping them up the leagues with money isn't really that new a phenomenon - its just the totals these days are completely wild and far more stretched than they were 50/60 years ago.
Major FFP Reforms coming on 09:48 - Mar 19 with 1181 viewsnadera78

Major FFP Reforms coming on 08:14 - Mar 19 by slmrstid

In truth couldn't it be said that we were also financially pumped by Jim Gregory in the 60s and 70s? Rich people coming into football clubs and pumping them up the leagues with money isn't really that new a phenomenon - its just the totals these days are completely wild and far more stretched than they were 50/60 years ago.

Jim Gregory put a few bob into QPR over the years obviously, but I wouldn't say it was the main driver of our success. The best thing he did really was get the youth team working well - we produced an awful lot of of our own players from the mid-60's to mid-90s, and Gregory would wheel and deal to top that up with signings. The instinct that made him very rich at a young age also allowed him to buy and sell for good prices at the right times. Lots of players sold for good profits when he was in charge. And he got all of his money back when he sold up.
Major FFP Reforms coming on 09:53 - Mar 19 with 1174 viewsterryb

Major FFP Reforms coming on 08:14 - Mar 19 by slmrstid

Definitely. The Cobbold brothers at Ipswich being another example.

There is a difference though, in that the Cobbold's had a business close to the club that absorbed the costs & employed many of the community. They also wouldn't risk putting the profitability of the business in jeopordy.

It is the level of funding that has changed, not the concept.
Login to get fewer ads

Major FFP Reforms coming on 06:40 - Mar 20 with 981 viewsTGRRRSSS

I would say many of those examples built and developed the club, rather than simply splurging as happens now. Such as us after Fernando's arrival.
Major FFP Reforms coming on 23:56 - Mar 20 with 818 viewsdaveB

The easiest solution for the points deductions are to give them for the following season so this season is unaffected and Forest start next year on -4 and Everton on -6
If they go down this year anyway the deduction is either held over until they come up again or they have it in the championship instead
Major FFP Reforms coming on 06:30 - Mar 21 with 665 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Major FFP Reforms coming on 23:56 - Mar 20 by daveB

The easiest solution for the points deductions are to give them for the following season so this season is unaffected and Forest start next year on -4 and Everton on -6
If they go down this year anyway the deduction is either held over until they come up again or they have it in the championship instead

Seems fair and sensible. Only problem with that is teams relegated this season could argue Forest/Everton cheated, were found guilty, but the punishment was deferred to a later date. Probably all sorts of legal challenges from the relegated clubs would begin.

It's an absolute mess.
Major FFP Reforms coming on 07:43 - Mar 21 with 633 viewsdaveB

Major FFP Reforms coming on 06:30 - Mar 21 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Seems fair and sensible. Only problem with that is teams relegated this season could argue Forest/Everton cheated, were found guilty, but the punishment was deferred to a later date. Probably all sorts of legal challenges from the relegated clubs would begin.

It's an absolute mess.

yeah would always be that but if everyone knew that was the rules you'd have less fallout imo especially if they all signed up for it
Major FFP Reforms coming on 09:14 - Mar 21 with 558 viewssaxbend

This is why I would suggest a spending limit that applies to all clubs and is realistic for the clubs with the smallest budgets. If I were to define the rules, I would still allow clubs with more money to spend it on transfer fees, but not on wages, and any fees over a certain amount would only be allowed if paid to a club who spent the previous season at least one division below the club purchasing the player in question.

All player contracts would necessarily have wages based on the current division the club is in. Get promoted, your wages go up automatically. Get relegated, they go down. No need for parachute payments. Sign for a club in a different division, your wages will automatically reflect that.

I would also add an annual increase in wages (relative to the division modifier) for every consecutive year spent at the same club (regardless of how many times the contract is renewed). If you sign for someone else, you go back down to the starting wage for that club's division, regardless of age and experience.

Top players still get rich from playing football, but instead of it coming from their clubs, they receive extra prize money based on league and cup finishes, personal stats, player of the season awards, tv votes, season ticket holder votes, internet votes, etc. all paid for with the broadcast and sponsorship money that no longer goes on inflated wages or parachute payments.

That's how I'd do it anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024