Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does time exist 23:53 - Mar 22 with 4307 viewsqprxtc

Is it just a human concept of measuring life and railway timetables. Do Martians know about daylight saving times?

We spin around thexsun and then the sun explodes. What a git.

And pubs still. Lose at 11pm.

You only get what you give. What a song.

This whole damn world can fall apart. And it will.

A good man always knows his limitations.

Time for bed Zebedee
Does time exist on 14:33 - Mar 24 with 1486 viewshubble

Does time exist on 12:45 - Mar 24 by PunteR

Yes it does exist.
The solar system moves around to a perfectly set pattern which creates our night and days and seasons. We've just set our clocks to that. As humans we're all on a countdown because we die. But the rest of the universe will keep spinning for eternity.
Even If humans never died and lived forever than time is still important , same as any other measurement. We need it to build things, organise, make music and basically do everything. Unless you're a DJ and hits the sync button...

Errm that's not exactly true Punter. Firstly, there is no 'set pattern', it's far more complex than that. Everything, on whatever scale you choose, cosmic or microcosmic, is in a state of flux, and there is no such thing as 'time' as it is commonly understood. At bottom, the universe is a granular, multidimensional matrix without a particular 'flow', but upon/within which an infinite number of discrete interactions take place, and it is only through the relationship between one discrete particle/probabilistic point in space and another that the totality is built. There is no 'universal time' but an infinite set of interrealtionships that weave together to create the fabric of spacetime. However, we humans are predisposed to experience reality as seamless, hence our concept of a universal time flowing. Kinda thing.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Does time exist on 15:35 - Mar 24 with 1420 viewsEsox_Lucius

One thing I have learned over the years...

The grass is always greener.

Does time exist on 16:01 - Mar 24 with 1401 viewsPunteR

Does time exist on 14:33 - Mar 24 by hubble

Errm that's not exactly true Punter. Firstly, there is no 'set pattern', it's far more complex than that. Everything, on whatever scale you choose, cosmic or microcosmic, is in a state of flux, and there is no such thing as 'time' as it is commonly understood. At bottom, the universe is a granular, multidimensional matrix without a particular 'flow', but upon/within which an infinite number of discrete interactions take place, and it is only through the relationship between one discrete particle/probabilistic point in space and another that the totality is built. There is no 'universal time' but an infinite set of interrealtionships that weave together to create the fabric of spacetime. However, we humans are predisposed to experience reality as seamless, hence our concept of a universal time flowing. Kinda thing.

Love that reply Hubs. Yeh you could be right. I'm entering a discussion I've no idea about tbh. I can kind of get my head around that get time is not linear, in the grand scheme of things but time from a human point of view is. We've created this linear passage of time, whether is counting birthdays , years and months or the 24 hour clock. So from that respect time does exist because we created it.
You would know better than me, but light is set to a time isnt it? As in, the speed of light is the distance measured by the time the light reaches, or something. Or the speed of sound. How did we decide how long a second is for example?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Does time exist on 16:13 - Mar 24 with 1376 viewsloftus77

Does time exist on 16:01 - Mar 24 by PunteR

Love that reply Hubs. Yeh you could be right. I'm entering a discussion I've no idea about tbh. I can kind of get my head around that get time is not linear, in the grand scheme of things but time from a human point of view is. We've created this linear passage of time, whether is counting birthdays , years and months or the 24 hour clock. So from that respect time does exist because we created it.
You would know better than me, but light is set to a time isnt it? As in, the speed of light is the distance measured by the time the light reaches, or something. Or the speed of sound. How did we decide how long a second is for example?

It was those pesky Romans (who did nothing for us), wasn't it? Or those Greeks? Or the Egyptians? Dunno.
Does time exist on 16:13 - Mar 24 with 1374 viewsQPsyR

Does time exist on 15:35 - Mar 24 by Esox_Lucius

One thing I have learned over the years...

Nice One

FKA AcidPixie

Does time exist on 20:11 - Mar 24 with 1299 viewsSonofpugwash

Time is that which prevents everything happening at once.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Does time exist on 20:29 - Mar 24 with 1277 viewsstainrods_elbow

Does time exist on 20:11 - Mar 24 by Sonofpugwash

Time is that which prevents everything happening at once.

Said Mark Twain! Credit your sauces!

Except that quantum science now comes along and claims everything IS happening at once, cutting Mark's thesis in, er, twain, I guess!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Does time exist on 12:27 - Mar 25 with 1181 viewsBluce_Ree

Time is everything.

I've been working on early retirement since David Bowie died. If that guy can die at 69 then I can. And I'm meant to retire at 67? Yeah, okay. Two years and then dead. F*ck off, time.

Working to 67/68? I'm not about that life at all.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

Does time exist on 12:52 - Mar 25 with 1129 viewsjohann28

Does time exist on 16:01 - Mar 24 by PunteR

The speed of light is a universal constant in a vacuum, like the vacuum of space. The speed of light traveling through a vacuum is exactly 299,792,458 meters (983,571,056 feet) per second. That's about 186,282 miles per second.

However, light can 'slow down' slightly when it passes through an absorbing medium, such as water (225,000 km p.s = 140,000 miles p.s) or glass (200,000 km per p.s = 124,000 miles p.s).

The speed of sound, by contrast, varies an awful lot depending on such things as temperature and the medium through which a sound wave is operating. At 20 °C for example, the speed of sound in air is about 343 m/s, or one km in 2.91 s or one mile in 4.69 s. At 0 °C, the speed of sound in air is about 331 m/s. Typically, sound travels most slowly in gases, faster in liquids, and fastest in solids.
Does time exist on 15:18 - Mar 25 with 1067 viewsrobith

Mad to me that pubs close at 11 to stop WW1 factory workers getting pissed up on an all nighter before making bombs, and 106 years later I'm still being booted out of the pub at 10:30
Does time exist on 15:22 - Mar 25 with 1059 viewsTheChef

Does time exist on 15:18 - Mar 25 by robith

Mad to me that pubs close at 11 to stop WW1 factory workers getting pissed up on an all nighter before making bombs, and 106 years later I'm still being booted out of the pub at 10:30

Yeah but they extended pub opening hours didn't they?

Oh.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Does time exist on 19:24 - Mar 25 with 969 viewsMick_S

Does time exist on 12:27 - Mar 25 by Bluce_Ree

Time is everything.

I've been working on early retirement since David Bowie died. If that guy can die at 69 then I can. And I'm meant to retire at 67? Yeah, okay. Two years and then dead. F*ck off, time.

You are right. It’s your time. That’s how I understand it.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Does time exist on 23:36 - Mar 25 with 913 viewsted_hendrix

“People are often so busy living that they never stopped to wonder why.”

Terry Pratchett

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Does time exist on 23:42 - Mar 25 with 908 viewscolinallcars

Time and a half after 5 o'clock, double time at weekends.
Does time exist on 00:48 - Mar 26 with 892 viewsjohncharles

Time keeps on slipping into the future

Strong and stable my arse.

Does time exist on 08:41 - Mar 26 with 825 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Does time exist on 17:22 - Mar 23 by Spaceman_P

i'm almost 40 and from 30 til 40 has flown by.... so I will say time doesn't exist.

Hopefully retirement comes sooner than later.

When you're a child of say 5, you've had 260 weeks, of which half you knew nothing much about beyond whailing for food and nappy changing. So, waiting a week before Christmas Day is agonising because you've had fewer weeks as a reference point, and thus, it seems so much longer.

Add in 50 years of weeks, and the fcukers generally fly past but frequently at a pace in sharp contrast to what you want or need.

I hung it up three years ago at 55. I thought weeks were flying then, now when I'd like them to proceed more slowly as I'm less busy, the fcukers are merely proving my view: the older you get, the faster they fly!

However, it does reinforce my other theory on time: enjoy it no matter what and to the maximum!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Does time exist on 08:55 - Mar 26 with 799 viewshubble

Feels like an appropriate time to post this...

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Does time exist on 09:07 - Mar 26 with 774 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Does time exist on 17:22 - Mar 23 by Spaceman_P

i'm almost 40 and from 30 til 40 has flown by.... so I will say time doesn't exist.

Hopefully retirement comes sooner than later.

When you're a child of say 5, you've had 260 weeks, of which half you knew nothing much about beyond whailing for food and nappy changing. So, waiting a week before Christmas Day is agonising because you've had fewer weeks as a reference point, and thus, it seems so much longer.

Add in 50 years of weeks, and the fcukers generally fly past but frequently at a pace in sharp contrast to what you want or need.

I hung it up three years ago at 55. I thought weeks were flying then, now when I'd like them to proceed more slowly as I'm less busy, the fcukers are merely proving my view: the older you get, the faster they fly!

However, it does reinforce my other theory on time: enjoy it no matter what and to the maximum!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Does time exist on 12:42 - Mar 26 with 708 viewsBluce_Ree

Does time exist on 15:18 - Mar 25 by robith

I'm all for it though. If it's 10:30, go home. Unless it's a weekend, then go to a club.

It's all well and good letting people get pissed beyond then but the later it gets, the harder it is for the staff to deal with them and they don't want to be working past midnight.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Does time exist on 13:29 - Mar 26 with 669 viewsTheChef

According to the mighty dEUS:

Oh they say that time presses, but time doesn't press
It's just a figure for motion and emotional unrest
It's a matter of seeing and of being seen
As far as I'm concerned time is the state of my jeans

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Does time exist on 21:32 - Mar 26 with 558 viewsdigswellhoop

david bowie said it in a song on alladin sane album
dont think lyrics are allowed on this site
Does time exist on 21:42 - Mar 27 with 461 viewsRs_Holy

Does time exist on 14:29 - Mar 28 with 367 viewsCateLeBonR

I think time does exist where there is matter, as where there is matter there are processes and things are happening constantly. So there is time. IMO.

Did time exist before there was matter or does time exist in places where there is no matter? I don’t know the answer to that.

You might have to give me a minute…
Does time exist on 06:09 - Mar 29 with 269 viewsSharpediver

Does time exist on 12:27 - Mar 25 by Bluce_Ree

Time is everything.

Yeah but look at Dave Attenborough. He's 30 years older than that and still working. Probably didn't do as many substances etc as the other Dave which might also have something to do with it. But, maybe also because he loves his job. The natural world is infinitely fascinating after all as is the discussion on here about time.
[Post edited 29 Mar 6:12]
Does time exist on 08:08 - Mar 29 with 234 viewsdmm

Has the theoretical physicist, Carlo Rovelli, been referenced in this thread yet? I've enjoyed several of his books and he has written one on time called The Order of Time.

He says time is an illusion and our perception of its flow doesn’t correspond to physical reality, including Isaac Newton’s picture of a universally ticking clock and even Albert Einstein’s relativistic space-time.

Theoretical physics is heady stuff. I don't grasp much of it's complexities but, after all, it is theoretical and the physicists themselves don't agree with each other. It's all fascinating stuff nonetheless.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024