Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alfie Gilchrist 12:40 - Apr 16 with 2359 viewsHayesender

Half watching that lots game against Everton last night, and they brought one of "their" youngsters on, who went and scored the 6th goal. Chelsea fans singing "hes one of our own blah blah blah".

Commentator then says he joined their puppy farm from Queens Park Rangers.

Is there any point clubs like ours having a youth set up, as when we do find someone who may turn out to be half decent, they inevitably get snapped up by the prem teams?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Alfie Gilchrist on 12:52 - Apr 16 with 2272 viewshantssi

I’m assuming we have a sell on like Sterling.
Alfie Gilchrist on 12:55 - Apr 16 with 2257 viewsdaveB

Alfie Gilchrist on 12:52 - Apr 16 by hantssi

I’m assuming we have a sell on like Sterling.

No he was taken before that, don't get sell ons with the new rules
Alfie Gilchrist on 12:58 - Apr 16 with 2244 viewshantssi

Alfie Gilchrist on 12:55 - Apr 16 by daveB

No he was taken before that, don't get sell ons with the new rules

In which case I agree with the OP, what’s the point 🤷‍♂️
Alfie Gilchrist on 13:16 - Apr 16 with 2153 viewsthame_hoops

how good is Cole Palmer? has to play in the Euros
Alfie Gilchrist on 13:16 - Apr 16 with 2158 viewsbosh67

While we are here and I know it is them but... just how good is Cole Palmer? Madness if he doesn't go to the Euros. The kid looks like he could be an English Messi. Manchester City must be kicking themselves.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:20 - Apr 16 with 2109 viewsthame_hoops

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:16 - Apr 16 by bosh67

While we are here and I know it is them but... just how good is Cole Palmer? Madness if he doesn't go to the Euros. The kid looks like he could be an English Messi. Manchester City must be kicking themselves.

oops, we're posting from the same account again
Alfie Gilchrist on 13:49 - Apr 16 with 1938 viewsstainrods_elbow

Genuine question: Why was it in the 60s and 70s when our youth set-up actually was fit for purpose and bringing through the likes of Busby, Francis, Allen, and Goddard, these brilliant prospects WEREN'T getting 'snapped up' by those higher up the footballing food chain, so we actually managed to build a side?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:49 - Apr 16 with 1966 viewsAntti_Heinola

Chelsea's chuck sh!t (money) at a wall (of glue?) and see what sticks finally works. Not for one of their plethora of £100m wastes of money, but for one who cost a mere £40m. Barely gets you a Gibbs-White.
Rare misstep from Pep - he would walk into their team.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:57 - Apr 16 with 1913 viewsStanisgod

F#cking morons don't even know where their own players come from.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:58 - Apr 16 with 1892 viewsBoston

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:49 - Apr 16 by stainrods_elbow

Genuine question: Why was it in the 60s and 70s when our youth set-up actually was fit for purpose and bringing through the likes of Busby, Francis, Allen, and Goddard, these brilliant prospects WEREN'T getting 'snapped up' by those higher up the footballing food chain, so we actually managed to build a side?

Financial Times have changed.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Alfie Gilchrist on 14:00 - Apr 16 with 1868 viewsAntti_Heinola

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:57 - Apr 16 by Stanisgod

F#cking morons don't even know where their own players come from.

To be fair he was 11 when he changed. I don't think we had too much to do with it ;)

Bare bones.

Alfie Gilchrist on 14:16 - Apr 16 with 1803 viewsdaveB

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:16 - Apr 16 by thame_hoops

how good is Cole Palmer? has to play in the Euros

hard to know where to play him, difficult to fit in him with Bellingham, Foden, Kane and Saka

One of them will be on the bench but sure he will be involved
Alfie Gilchrist on 15:09 - Apr 16 with 1642 viewsjoolsyp

His first goal was a thing of beauty. Feel for Eze as I think Palmer is the better number 10, but what a dilemma for Southgate to have. With the likes of him, Foden, Bellingham, Kane, Eze we have an embarrassment of riches and must be one of the favourites for the Euros and 2026 World Cup.
Alfie Gilchrist on 15:25 - Apr 16 with 1566 viewsstainrods_elbow

Alfie Gilchrist on 13:58 - Apr 16 by Boston

Financial Times have changed.

Clearly, and clearly not in our favour, but my question remains.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Alfie Gilchrist on 15:49 - Apr 16 with 1489 viewsterryb

Alfie Gilchrist on 15:25 - Apr 16 by stainrods_elbow

Clearly, and clearly not in our favour, but my question remains.

I'm sure none of us really know the answer, but it definitely wasn't just Rangers that produced more players from their youth. Palace had "the team of the 80's" & Ipswich the likes of Beattie, Burley, Wark, Brazil etc. None of those were local either, but Talbot, Butcher & Osman were! It might be that you couldn't jump from one club to another as well?

I think it was said by Alec Stock or Dereck Healey, that our selling point was the progression through to the first team. I certainly miss that we no longer produce the likes of Hunt, Hazzell, Sibley, Morgan, Morgan, Leach, Clement, Allen, Allen, Goddard, Waddock, Gallen & many others. All of these came from within a 30 mile radius of Shepherds Bush as well.

Didn't we have a close relationship with the Pathfinders Club in Slough at the time & perhaps with other youth teams?
Alfie Gilchrist on 16:30 - Apr 16 with 1367 viewsOldPedro

Alfie Gilchrist on 15:09 - Apr 16 by joolsyp

His first goal was a thing of beauty. Feel for Eze as I think Palmer is the better number 10, but what a dilemma for Southgate to have. With the likes of him, Foden, Bellingham, Kane, Eze we have an embarrassment of riches and must be one of the favourites for the Euros and 2026 World Cup.

On the downside, England have Southgate as the manager.........

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Alfie Gilchrist on 16:54 - Apr 16 with 1283 viewsjohnhoop

Unfortunately I don’t think those riches extend to the defence.
Alfie Gilchrist on 16:54 - Apr 16 with 1273 viewsgazza1

Not seen a lot of Gilchrist but when I have seen him he looks a fair player, very committed to Chelsea and why wouldn't he - makes our 'so called' youngsters look pretty average indeed. They have given him the chance to play top football.
Alfie Gilchrist on 17:17 - Apr 16 with 1213 viewsMedwayR

Play to our strengths and go with a 3-2-4-1.

Gordon, Foden, Palmer, Saka, Watkins, Eze, Maddison, Bowen competing for the 4 attacking mid roles. Gibbs-White, Jones, Elliott options too.

Rice, Mainoo making up the 2 cm roles. Gallagher, Lewis could be options too.

Bellingham can do either depending on who you want to drop out.

Go full on Kevin Keegan.
[Post edited 16 Apr 17:18]

Poll: Who’s better?

Alfie Gilchrist on 17:21 - Apr 16 with 1202 viewsAntti_Heinola

Alfie Gilchrist on 15:49 - Apr 16 by terryb

I'm sure none of us really know the answer, but it definitely wasn't just Rangers that produced more players from their youth. Palace had "the team of the 80's" & Ipswich the likes of Beattie, Burley, Wark, Brazil etc. None of those were local either, but Talbot, Butcher & Osman were! It might be that you couldn't jump from one club to another as well?

I think it was said by Alec Stock or Dereck Healey, that our selling point was the progression through to the first team. I certainly miss that we no longer produce the likes of Hunt, Hazzell, Sibley, Morgan, Morgan, Leach, Clement, Allen, Allen, Goddard, Waddock, Gallen & many others. All of these came from within a 30 mile radius of Shepherds Bush as well.

Didn't we have a close relationship with the Pathfinders Club in Slough at the time & perhaps with other youth teams?

It should be said that our youth set up in the 90s (and maybe earlier?) was mainly based around nicking talent from other clubs.
Don't dig too deep into the 90s youth set-up though, eh?

Bare bones.

Alfie Gilchrist on 17:47 - Apr 16 with 1114 viewsjoolsyp

Alfie Gilchrist on 16:54 - Apr 16 by johnhoop

Unfortunately I don’t think those riches extend to the defence.

Agreed. We can always go full-on Keegan on everyone?
[Post edited 16 Apr 17:48]
Alfie Gilchrist on 19:13 - Apr 16 with 974 viewsterryb

Alfie Gilchrist on 17:21 - Apr 16 by Antti_Heinola

It should be said that our youth set up in the 90s (and maybe earlier?) was mainly based around nicking talent from other clubs.
Don't dig too deep into the 90s youth set-up though, eh?

Sorry Antti, I'm probably being thick, but I don't follow your last sentence.

I've certainly not dug deep into our youth set up at any time in the clubs history! My post was trying to give a partial answer to Stainrod's question & relied completely on my memory.

My knowledge of Rangers in the 90's is limited at all levels & nearly non-existent regarding the youth set up. As I've often stated, between 1982 & 2002 I watched very few Rangers matches as family was my priority.

Perhaps you could enlighten us on this period?
Alfie Gilchrist on 19:33 - Apr 16 with 919 viewsdaveB

Alfie Gilchrist on 17:17 - Apr 16 by MedwayR

Play to our strengths and go with a 3-2-4-1.

Gordon, Foden, Palmer, Saka, Watkins, Eze, Maddison, Bowen competing for the 4 attacking mid roles. Gibbs-White, Jones, Elliott options too.

Rice, Mainoo making up the 2 cm roles. Gallagher, Lewis could be options too.

Bellingham can do either depending on who you want to drop out.

Go full on Kevin Keegan.
[Post edited 16 Apr 17:18]

There is a reason Kevin Keegan didn't do well with England

Not a hope we'll go with that and nor should we
Alfie Gilchrist on 20:50 - Apr 16 with 807 viewsEsox_Lucius

Alfie Gilchrist on 19:13 - Apr 16 by terryb

Sorry Antti, I'm probably being thick, but I don't follow your last sentence.

I've certainly not dug deep into our youth set up at any time in the clubs history! My post was trying to give a partial answer to Stainrod's question & relied completely on my memory.

My knowledge of Rangers in the 90's is limited at all levels & nearly non-existent regarding the youth set up. As I've often stated, between 1982 & 2002 I watched very few Rangers matches as family was my priority.

Perhaps you could enlighten us on this period?

Chris Geiler, the youth coach, had a number of child abuse allegations against his name which the club were loathe to act upon at the time.

The grass is always greener.

Alfie Gilchrist on 20:56 - Apr 16 with 759 viewsaston_hoop

I tell you one thing though, I don't care how competitive you are, you're a wrong'un if you have Cole Palmer in your FPL team. I don't care if not having him means you are never going to win your league, he's a Chelsea player and picking him is terrorism.
[Post edited 16 Apr 20:57]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024