Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dogs. 13:11 - Apr 26 with 2483 viewsSpaceman_P

Hi all,

Last night we had to take our dog to have the last injection. The dog was my wife's and he was 13 years old, I had known him for 7 years or so during the relationship.

My wife was distraught, but for me, I didn't realise how badly something like this could effect you.

Our dog was a very loving, very friendly Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, an absolutely beautiful boy.

I haven't owned a pet prior to this and it really was a kicker.

Anyone else dealt with this. My wife is beside herself, its like she lost a kid.

All the best,

Paul

Dogs. on 23:01 - Apr 26 with 613 viewsjohncharles

Hey Spaceman, it’s the last good turn you can do for your best friend. It’s all part of man and dog

Strong and stable my arse.

Dogs. on 23:54 - Apr 26 with 561 viewsCLAREMAN1995

We have a rescue dog from a shelter and no better animal walked this earth and shows it daily .When I come home she is paying the door waiting for me .When my daughter tore her ACL and came home drugged out we put her on the couch and the dog lay beside her for hours until bedtime because she knew she was hurting .
My mother in law fell ,hit her head and the police had to break down the door to get her so now she lives here the dog goes into her room every morning to greet her and talk to her basically its beyond incredible how they know they are needed .
I cannot imagine putting her down but when the time comes we are all going to hold her and look into her eyes so she knows what she means to us
Best wishes to your wife and you Spaceman
Dogs. on 00:44 - Apr 27 with 545 viewswombat

Dogs. on 23:54 - Apr 26 by CLAREMAN1995

We have a rescue dog from a shelter and no better animal walked this earth and shows it daily .When I come home she is paying the door waiting for me .When my daughter tore her ACL and came home drugged out we put her on the couch and the dog lay beside her for hours until bedtime because she knew she was hurting .
My mother in law fell ,hit her head and the police had to break down the door to get her so now she lives here the dog goes into her room every morning to greet her and talk to her basically its beyond incredible how they know they are needed .
I cannot imagine putting her down but when the time comes we are all going to hold her and look into her eyes so she knows what she means to us
Best wishes to your wife and you Spaceman

Sorry for your lose Paul. Done it way to many times lost our last two within two months of each other kasper the rescue lab on Valentine’s Day four years ago to liver es around 13 years old suppose we was luck as it was spotted during a routine vet check so managed to keep him going for another year , we knew it was coming and due to his illness he couldn’t be given his usual kibble and there no diet Aval for dogs with liver failure that dosnt contain meat protein so we had to invent something for him each Sunday cleared the decks in the kitchen and started cooking white and brown rice , tofu , small amount of white fish , sweet potato and we bought a vacuum sealer to allow us to make enough for the week , we knew it was time whe. He stopped drinking and barely ate so arranged with the vet the time the following day , didn’t sleep the night before got up cooked a whole chicken , lunch was a sirloin steak mid afternoon snack some chicken and his last meal a juicy ribeye , then it was time and to this day still breaks me thinking about it , he was my boy slept with me shadowed me all day slept and farted with me ,

Dela his sister from another mother lab again started fitting early hours Xmas day four years ago , knew she hadn’t eaten anything she shouldn’t have vet couldn’t do anything apart from us keep an eye on her and hope it was a one off , it wasn’t turned out to be a brain tumour the fits become more regular the drugs wasn’t touching the sides the vets used to meet us in the car park to save us some cash when upping her drug the bills were mental even with insurance which was used up in the first month of treatment , the end was a cluster fit basically a non stop fit this happens a week into lock down , so we had the 30 mins drive to Chesham to the emergency vets with dela fittins non stop in the back of the car and me trying to get there as soon as possible , vets we’re sure of what to do due to Covid tried to stop us coming in the final moments but finally let us in thank fully . Both master and dela were from dogs trust in Harefield amazing dogs considering there prior lives tied up and locked up in a shed , you would never have known they wa§y the was with us and friends and esp children who dela adored , we knew we couldn’t be a house without dogs so found two labs pups just before dela passed , Stan and Ollie never has. More fitting ames for two dogs , now four years old both mental in there own ways but wouldn’t be without them , sorry fro you r lose Paul it will get easier but you will never forget them

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Dogs. on 00:52 - Apr 27 with 542 viewsted_hendrix

Bear with me.

Many years ago I bought a Welsh Collie puppy and we named him Charlie, he slept In the garage (wasn't allowed In the house) Wifes instruction.
One day my eldest Lad came home from work early and took Charlie for a walk down by the fields and river near the West Berkshire village we lived In at the time. On the way home he discovered a small distressed Jack Russell hiding and shivering in the hedgerow, so he brought him home with Charlie.
We left notes in the village 'lost dog' etcetera without any reply, I took the poor sod to the vets to get checked over and Mrs Ted said he can sleep in the garage with Charlie for a couple of days.
We had a 'house meeting' and decided to call the Jack Russell Albert.
It was obvious to us that we couldn't keep both dogs so we advertised Charlie to a good home and a farmer from two villages west of us towards Lambourne took Charlie FOC and we all visited Charlie a few Months later in his new house with the farmer.

I'd noticed a few times that Albert was slowly getting In the house more and more when I mentioned this to Mrs Ted she told me to leave him alone, lo and behold a few days later Mrs Ted had purchased a dog bed and Albert was now sleeping downstairs in the house. Albert had 'bonded' with Mrs Ted and that was It.
Some 15 or so Years later Albert was at the end of his life, he was losing control of where he was, he was getting up in the middle of the night, he was obviously suffering physically and mentally so we had to make that dreadful=dreadful decision.
I couldn't face taking him to the vets nor could the Missus so my lad took him.
On the morning before I went to work I said goodbye to him, It took me forever and was a crippling thing to do, poor Albert just stared at me with blank eyes. when I got home that night the house was just empty, he had gone It was awful.
We got Alberts ashes from the vet and kept them in the front room by the fireplace.
When we sold the house we just never knew what to do with Alberts ashes, In the end two days before we were due to move me and Mrs Ted went for a walk down by the River Lambourn to near where my eldest Lad found Albert all those Years ago and between us we carefully scattered Alberts ashes in the slow moving river, when we used to walk Albert the place where we scattered Alberts ashes was the place he always liked to stop and take a drink.

That fateful morning i said goodbye to Albert just crushed me for days on end, still think about him and sometimes he appears In my dreams.

RIP Albert.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Dogs. on 12:41 - Apr 27 with 404 viewswestberksr

this week has been horrible for me...

on Monday I made the heart-breaking decision to make the final journey with my beloved Weimaraner Riley. He was 14 and had been recently diagnosed with cancer; the deterioration in the few days prior to that had forced me to act as the thought of him suffering further was too much to bear.

We had been joined at the hip for 14 years and he'd seen me through the hardest of times, when I genuinely don't think id have made it without him; truly my best friend.

so at midday on Monday I took him to the vets with all of the seats folded down in the back of the car, I climbed in and lay next to him, cuddling him and telling him how much I loved him as the vet administered the anaesthetic dosage to send him on his way and he fell asleep in my arms for the last time. There was no resistance and it was more peaceful that I could have imagined; he'd run his race and it was time.

I miss him more than words can describe and will never forget that moment as long as I draw breath.

The thing is, I'll do it all again. I'd take a dog over a human 99% of the time and the only bad thing about dogs is their journey is so much shorter than ours. I've been through this 4 times as child and adult; this was the first that I was actually there for the final moments and I owed him that love and reassurance for all he's done for me.

give all of your 4 legged friends a cuddle from me; not for the first or last time this week I'm sat here now in tears.
[Post edited 27 Apr 12:45]
Dogs. on 12:46 - Apr 27 with 388 viewsBlackCrowe

Sorry to hear this Spaceman. We're staring down the barrel ourselves - labradoodle Indie will be 15 in couple of months and the hind legs are on the verge of goingg...when they go, then we'll do what has to be done.
Been the centre of our lives and for the kids growing up. I've had dogs all through my life so i know the score, but Mrs.Crowe - it's her first and she and the dog are inseparable - gonna be grim.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Dogs. on 12:47 - Apr 27 with 385 viewswestberksr

it's devastating Spaceman

give your wife a huge hug from me; they are part of the family.

condolences to you and your family on the loss of a loved one
[Post edited 27 Apr 12:50]
Dogs. on 13:26 - Apr 27 with 320 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sorry to hear your news, Paul. It's a horrible loss and it will take some time to adjust and to recover. Much love to you and to your wife.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Dogs. on 14:37 - Apr 27 with 254 viewsRanger_Things

Sorry for your loss Spaceman and for all of you who have lost dogs. It’s absolutely gut wrenching but we keep them knowing this pain will come. It’s unavoidable but we go through this knowing it’s worth it. It hurts so much because you loved them and they loved you back 10 times more. Remember the mishaps, the stolen roast chicken, the relief when you got the fcker back after it chased a deer halfway across poxy Richmond or knocked that lycra clad dude off his bike. Remember how when you put the bins out they greeted you like you’d been away for a year. The good times always outnumber the bad and while you may shed a tear or two that’ll be broken by laughter when you remember the stolen slipper , when they fell asleep in a spot half their size or sat on the cat’s head. And whilst they may be gone they’ll never be forgotten, you will always have reminders. That favourite walk, that empty spot on the sofa, the dog hair in your car that will n ever come out no matter how much you hoover.
RIP all the dogs we lost and love all the dogs still with us.
[Post edited 27 Apr 14:38]
Dogs. on 14:55 - Apr 27 with 213 viewsBoston

You can't replace a good dog, you can get another one, but you can't replace it.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024