Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we capable of going up next season. 22:24 - Apr 29 with 7313 viewsqpr_1968

why not...
we can beat anyone..
consistency.....
couple of new signings...
full house every game..
top manager...
do you know what....can't fking wait for next season.
big name friendly at home...
tour of ireland....that will do me...

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Are we capable of going up next season. on 12:17 - Apr 30 with 1738 viewsCateLeBonR

Are we capable of going up next season. on 12:15 - Apr 30 by kensalriser

On the basis of one freak win against a tired, nervy and inexperienced promotion chasing team?

Absolutely. I’m extrapolating a four nil victory in all our next 47 competitive games* starting at Coventry.

*not including cup games, obviously we will still lose those.

3-0 to Cov ;)
Are we capable of going up next season. on 12:36 - Apr 30 with 1672 viewsJames_Paddocks

A comfortable top half finish will do me nicely.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 13:44 - Apr 30 with 1548 viewsngbqpr

I envisage something like the first Warbs season...but maybe a slightly higher finish as no post-lockdown implosion.

Some very nice football, general feeling that we're on an even keel again...but too inconsistent for a concerted play off push.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Are we capable of going up next season. on 13:57 - Apr 30 with 1512 viewssprocket

Cannot imagine next year the teams will be as strong as this year so anything possible. With some money to spend and the manager I would wager we could go close. Recruitment as ever will be key. At a minimum we need GK, CM and a couple of strikers.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 14:44 - Apr 30 with 1429 viewsPaddyhoops

Mid table will do me . Just not a relegation fight . Two seasons in a row . Had enough of that.
Let’s saviour what he’s done for now.
I’ve get a lovely relaxing day at the Ricoh on Saturday. Should be back in time for a nice curry and a couple days off. That will do for me.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 14:52 - Apr 30 with 1373 viewsstainrods_elbow

Are we capable of going up next season. on 13:57 - Apr 30 by sprocket

Cannot imagine next year the teams will be as strong as this year so anything possible. With some money to spend and the manager I would wager we could go close. Recruitment as ever will be key. At a minimum we need GK, CM and a couple of strikers.

Agree with your basic sketch of our recruitment needs, though I think your menu is minimal. The squad, for me, is still 5-6 quality players short of mounting an assault on the playoffs. Armstrong needs to go on loan, Dykes (despite his two welcome goals at the end) just needs to go, and Kolli, though promising, really is a kid in footballing terms, and won't come good, I don't think, for some time, assuming he does - he needs a loan too. That means, I think, we need two quality strikers at a minimum, plus an understudy or two.

In midfield, if anything happens to Field, we lose our shield - and, it now happily seems, a goal or two along the way. Colback is very important for how we play, both in terms of breaking up play and getting us moving through the lines, but I would expect injuries and suspension would take him out for 10+ games next year. As has been said, a lot hinges in attacking midfield on whether we retain Chair and/or Willock.

At the back, I'm very happy with JCS, Cook and Dunne, and we should keep them all if we can, but Cannon doesn't seem to have had a very convincing season at this level, fitness-wise or playing-wise, and Paal for me blows hot and cold. Ideally, we will strengthen at least one full-back berth, therefore.

Out wide, I think Smyth is a useful outlet off the bench, but isn't good enough to start at this level for me, and I suspect won't improve (that) much, though perhaps I'm wrong.

In Marti I trust, but a lot depends on our resources, of course, and how much the Board trusts/backs the manager. MC has worked a minor, if not major, miracle with what he's had to work with, but, as he said post-Leeds, and despite that fabulous curtain-closer (and perhaps curtain-raiser for next year), we have some way to go to get to where we want. For that reason alone, and given our traumatic recent history, I agree that a top half finish, with plenty of green shoots (and shots) along the way, would probably satisfy me next campaign.
[Post edited 30 Apr 16:53]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Are we capable of going up next season. on 14:53 - Apr 30 with 1390 viewsFG_R

First 14 games up to 28th Oct 2023.
Won 2; Drawn 2 Lost 10. Points 8.
Position on points over this period: 22nd.

Last 14 games from 14th Feb 2024 to present. (With January signings).
Won 7; Drawn 3; Lost 4; points 24
Position on points over this period: 4th equal.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:02 - Apr 30 with 1364 viewsPaddyhoops

Are we capable of going up next season. on 14:53 - Apr 30 by FG_R

First 14 games up to 28th Oct 2023.
Won 2; Drawn 2 Lost 10. Points 8.
Position on points over this period: 22nd.

Last 14 games from 14th Feb 2024 to present. (With January signings).
Won 7; Drawn 3; Lost 4; points 24
Position on points over this period: 4th equal.

Sorry mate downticked you in error
Login to get fewer ads

Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:03 - Apr 30 with 1360 viewsGaryBannister86

Are we capable of going up next season. on 14:52 - Apr 30 by stainrods_elbow

Agree with your basic sketch of our recruitment needs, though I think your menu is minimal. The squad, for me, is still 5-6 quality players short of mounting an assault on the playoffs. Armstrong needs to go on loan, Dykes (despite his two welcome goals at the end) just needs to go, and Kolli, though promising, really is a kid in footballing terms, and won't come good, I don't think, for some time, assuming he does - he needs a loan too. That means, I think, we need two quality strikers at a minimum, plus an understudy or two.

In midfield, if anything happens to Field, we lose our shield - and, it now happily seems, a goal or two along the way. Colback is very important for how we play, both in terms of breaking up play and getting us moving through the lines, but I would expect injuries and suspension would take him out for 10+ games next year. As has been said, a lot hinges in attacking midfield on whether we retain Chair and/or Willock.

At the back, I'm very happy with JCS, Cook and Dunne, and we should keep them all if we can, but Cannon doesn't seem to have had a very convincing season at this level, fitness-wise or playing-wise, and Paal for me blows hot and cold. Ideally, we will strengthen at least one full-back berth, therefore.

Out wide, I think Smyth is a useful outlet off the bench, but isn't good enough to start at this level for me, and I suspect won't improve (that) much, though perhaps I'm wrong.

In Marti I trust, but a lot depends on our resources, of course, and how much the Board trusts/backs the manager. MC has worked a minor, if not major, miracle with what he's had to work with, but, as he said post-Leeds, and despite that fabulous curtain-closer (and perhaps curtain-raiser for next year), we have some way to go to get to where we want. For that reason alone, and given our traumatic recent history, I agree that a top half finish, with plenty of green shoots (and shots) along the way, would probably satisfy me next campaign.
[Post edited 30 Apr 16:53]

I don't get this desire to send Armstrong out on loan. He needs serious coaching, and I would much rather it is Marti and Xavi doing that rather than some League One or Two 'ave it merchant. Although in writing that I am wondering how Eze succeeded at Wycombe.

Also, unless we really can unearth two excellent strikers, I would be very keen to have him as an option from the bench. And if he proves himself from there, he can push on.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:07 - Apr 30 with 1344 viewsHAYESBOY

Don't think we will challenge top 6 next year, but I think we can get near the top 10 based on Marti's points haul since he came in. Depends on how well our summer transfer window goes.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:34 - Apr 30 with 1288 viewssprocket

Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:07 - Apr 30 by HAYESBOY

Don't think we will challenge top 6 next year, but I think we can get near the top 10 based on Marti's points haul since he came in. Depends on how well our summer transfer window goes.

Don't disagree on this. Wonder how Marti will see it? how long does he hang around if we cannot compete at the top end of the table? I'm sure he is ambitious and he won't hang around too long if we cannot compete.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:43 - Apr 30 with 1248 viewsHarbour

Aiming for top 6 more exciting than bottom 6
Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:55 - Apr 30 with 1215 viewsed_83

Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:34 - Apr 30 by sprocket

Don't disagree on this. Wonder how Marti will see it? how long does he hang around if we cannot compete at the top end of the table? I'm sure he is ambitious and he won't hang around too long if we cannot compete.

He currently seems destined for bigger things than a lower-half Championship team, but it's all about gradually building a reputation.

I think Beale offers a very handy warning about trying to run before you can walk: Marti's got a great opportunity here to build an ethos and team alongside a new CEO, and really showcase his abilities in an environment where everyone's bought into his approach and is 100% behind him.

Best case scenario for both us and him is that we get three or four seasons of gradual improvement before he moves on, by which point hopefully we'll be competing more consistently at the top of the table, and he'll have made a serious name for himself.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 16:02 - Apr 30 with 1183 viewsEsox_Lucius

Based on the form from our last match I see no reason we can't achieve 138 points next season; anything else will feel like failure.

The grass is always greener.

Are we capable of going up next season. on 16:03 - Apr 30 with 1180 viewsBklynRanger

Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:55 - Apr 30 by ed_83

He currently seems destined for bigger things than a lower-half Championship team, but it's all about gradually building a reputation.

I think Beale offers a very handy warning about trying to run before you can walk: Marti's got a great opportunity here to build an ethos and team alongside a new CEO, and really showcase his abilities in an environment where everyone's bought into his approach and is 100% behind him.

Best case scenario for both us and him is that we get three or four seasons of gradual improvement before he moves on, by which point hopefully we'll be competing more consistently at the top of the table, and he'll have made a serious name for himself.

I think he'll be aiming for a bigger, more rapid improvement than that. He said in January that he'd been clear with management about what the team needed. Think he'll already have been at least that clear in terms of summer plans, and he'll expect to be backed - not to an unreasonable extent but there's no way he's going into next season without at least one competent addition up front, just as an example.

Plus Nourry has openly pinned a lot of our medium term approach on Marti so he'll be wanting to give him what he can, again hopefully within sensible limits. I genuinely think they'll have the play-offs as an unspoken target for next season.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 16:11 - Apr 30 with 1150 viewsdm97

Of course it’s a (remote) possibility, but we’re all kidding ourselves if you genuinely think we will go up or be in the top 6 next season. All the usual problems remain, but we’ve landed on a special manager who is able through good coaching and tactical awareness to win games through his decision making - a trait I haven’t seen in an R/s gaffer since NW and even then he had Adel.

Progression after the cluster f*** of Beale-NC-Gaz for me would be: 14-8th, playing good football recruiting under the buy-to-sell model, seeing some youngsters (Kolli / SA) developing here or on loan, and making more strides off the pitch (love what they’ve done with away tickets at LR e.g.).

If you’re expecting more I think that’s unfair given where we have been for nearly two years!
[Post edited 30 Apr 16:12]
Are we capable of going up next season. on 16:55 - Apr 30 with 1056 viewsstainrods_elbow

Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:03 - Apr 30 by GaryBannister86

I don't get this desire to send Armstrong out on loan. He needs serious coaching, and I would much rather it is Marti and Xavi doing that rather than some League One or Two 'ave it merchant. Although in writing that I am wondering how Eze succeeded at Wycombe.

Also, unless we really can unearth two excellent strikers, I would be very keen to have him as an option from the bench. And if he proves himself from there, he can push on.

Agree with you about his coaching, but, and a bit worryingly, he's (hopefully) been getting that at QPR for a season or two already. He also needs to play regularly, not just these turbo-charged cameos off the bench. Marti will, I'm sure, have his views and recommendations here, and it'll be interesting to see how things percolate with him and one or two others now.
[Post edited 30 Apr 17:22]

Are we capable of going up next season. on 16:59 - Apr 30 with 1056 viewssprocket

Are we capable of going up next season. on 16:11 - Apr 30 by dm97

Of course it’s a (remote) possibility, but we’re all kidding ourselves if you genuinely think we will go up or be in the top 6 next season. All the usual problems remain, but we’ve landed on a special manager who is able through good coaching and tactical awareness to win games through his decision making - a trait I haven’t seen in an R/s gaffer since NW and even then he had Adel.

Progression after the cluster f*** of Beale-NC-Gaz for me would be: 14-8th, playing good football recruiting under the buy-to-sell model, seeing some youngsters (Kolli / SA) developing here or on loan, and making more strides off the pitch (love what they’ve done with away tickets at LR e.g.).

If you’re expecting more I think that’s unfair given where we have been for nearly two years!

I think the vast majority will be happy if we avoid a repeat of this season. We seem to have struck the jackpot with Marti but it should not be about who the manager is, Brentford being the prime example, but how the club is run and the decisions made with a medium to long term goals and sticking to the plan!

QPR are a fantastic club with a wonderful and committed fanbase. In a prime location and an opportunity to grow into something that can be successful and rewarding. I'm looking forward with great excitement as to how this plays out in the next few years.
[Post edited 30 Apr 16:59]
Are we capable of going up next season. on 16:59 - Apr 30 with 1040 viewsstainrods_elbow

Are we capable of going up next season. on 15:55 - Apr 30 by ed_83

Completely agree with this, and, fortunately/hopefully, he doesn't seem to be a slimy customer like Beale. Mind you, if an offer comes in from, say, a 'bigger' Champ club, his loyalty, and the club's resolve, are likely to be tested. Interestingly, though, managers seem as a rule to be much less often 'poached' and/or have their heads turned mid-contract than players - the situation with Beale was unusual in leaving the bad taste it did. (When was the last time it happened to us - TV going to Barcelona?)
[Post edited 30 Apr 17:23]

Are we capable of going up next season. on 17:03 - Apr 30 with 1049 viewsqpr_1968

Are we capable of going up next season. on 16:11 - Apr 30 by dm97

good post..

look, if we don't finish in the top 6 i'm not going to go off on one....
what i mean by capable is exactly what ipswich have done this season....
not expecting us to, but also capable of a top half/6 finish with our manager now.
i thought i was showing him a bit of respect rather than being unfair...

remember this is my opinion, and i respect everyone else's opinion....
its made for a debate.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Are we capable of going up next season. on 17:41 - Apr 30 with 973 viewsstainrods_elbow

I certainly wouldn't bet against it based on Marti's incoming performance, and I'm going against the grain, but I still think, unless we strengthen, we're capable of going down next season - especially if we get off to a bad start. We don't score nearly enough goals, the squad is still too small/carrying dead and/or dubious quality wood (Richards, Cannon, Armstrong, Drew etc.), including players who the jury is still out on (e.g. Frey), and the likes of Hayden and Hodge will be going back to their parent clubs. By common consent, Bergovic (though I think he's done a lot better overall than the haters here make out) and Dykes need to be shipped out and replaced.

An awful lot depends on the pre-season for me in terms of retention, recruitment and club business. I hope for the best, but the Champ is a very fluctuating league, and pretty much anything can happen, however well we ended. *

* Hopefully, this season we can actually have a successful and just properly organised pre-season tour as well, now Les and Hoos are making room for people who are competent and have standards. That'll tell us plenty too.
[Post edited 30 Apr 17:44]

Are we capable of going up next season. on 18:26 - Apr 30 with 934 viewsJuzzie

This season we won 7 away (lower-mid table in the 'away' table) and won 7 at home (5th bottom in the 'home' table).

If we matched our away record next season and got a respectable upper-mid home record that would give us around 61 points.

That's anywhere around 11th/12th/13th in the table.

So, that's where we'd be with a decent turnaround in form compared to the last two seasons. We'd need to have a massive turnaround in form to get top 6.

Do-able? Possibly, but I think we need at least a season of stability first before having any decent fist at getting top 6.
Are we capable of going up next season. on 19:34 - Apr 30 with 844 viewsderbyhoop

Are we capable of going up next season. on 11:56 - Apr 30 by ed_83

We're 10th in the form table since Marti took over - it's impossible to know how that'll translate to next season, but there's clearly been a massive improvement since he came in.

I think our target should be to finish in the top half of the table next season, with half an eye on challenging for the playoff spots. Anything more than that feels optimistic.

Sounds about right.
Reproduce the form since Marti arrived and we'd be top half. But there's likely to be quite a bit of turnover of personnel. And we won't get the sane injury free run.

Let's assess in August.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Are we capable of going up next season. on 19:55 - Apr 30 with 786 viewsWestonsuperR

Extremely unlikely. Marti has worked wonders but he would need to pull off a minor miracle to get this set of players in contention and we have little to no budget to bring players in. We will be up against vastly superior squads and that have the capability to spend big.
[Post edited 30 Apr 20:01]
Are we capable of going up next season. on 19:58 - Apr 30 with 781 viewsWestonsuperR

Are we capable of going up next season. on 09:23 - Apr 30 by stantheman10

See this is the problem! Yes we are capable of competing in this division but it's no good getting ahead of ourselves. All this does is get some thinking we are going to be top 6 next season and starts putting pressure on Cifuentes to deliver and if we're 16th at Christmas some will be saying he's got to go. Let the bloke have at least one season getting us on an even keel and see where that takes us for a push the following season. Then if we do make the top 6 this coming season then that's a bonus. I'd prefer us to have a crack at the League Cup or maybe progress in the FA Cup this season coming.

This is similar to what happened to Warbs. Expectations too high and much of the fanbase seemed to ignore we had half the team out injured and still finished top half, let’s not fall into this trap again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024