Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Jimmy Armfield 11:19 - Jan 22 with 3460 viewspaulparker

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-42775098

used to enjoy his commentary on radio 5 during the late 80s and early 90s , he wasn't shouty, or OOT like the morons we get today (Merson, Savage, Sutton etc )
but was knowledgeable and articulate and he had the perfect voice for radio
also responsible for getting El Tel the England managers gig

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 11:47 - Jan 22 with 3412 viewsDiscodroids

RIP Jimmy.

A voice along with Peter Jones, Hugh Johns and Bryon Butler which filled my younger life with football association spice melange.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:01 - Jan 22 with 3398 viewsCamberleyR

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 11:47 - Jan 22 by Discodroids

RIP Jimmy.

A voice along with Peter Jones, Hugh Johns and Bryon Butler which filled my younger life with football association spice melange.

Can only echo that and add Brian Moore to the list. Avuncular seems to be a word invented especially for him, he seemed to be a very nice man.

Also, he wasn't a club manager for very long but he is in a fairly exclusive list of English managers to manage a club in a European Cup final (Paisley, Clough, Barton, Fagan the others).

RIP

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:02 - Jan 22 with 3394 viewspaulparker

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 11:47 - Jan 22 by Discodroids

RIP Jimmy.

You Got it DD , I can still hear those blokes commentary and voices in my head , halcyon days indeed
especially when I was a small lad playing in the back garden pretending QPR had won the FA cup , Mike ingham and Jimmy would be commentators with yours truly making the crowd noises ,
for years I think the next door neighbours thought I was asthmatic

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:14 - Jan 22 with 3366 viewsLythamR

R.I.P Jimmy
one of the giants of the game and a real gentleman as well
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:17 - Jan 22 with 3358 viewsdaveB

One of the great broadcasters, 5live did a special with him last year and it was a fascinating listen.

Played a big part in Venables getting the England job as he lead a search for the next England manager
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:41 - Jan 22 with 3321 viewsPlanetHonneywood

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:14 - Jan 22 by LythamR

R.I.P Jimmy
one of the giants of the game and a real gentleman as well

And a brilliant summariser.

Always insightful, always a joy to listen to. Not like many today who just prattle on and consider stating the obvious makes them sound intelligent.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 13:15 - Jan 22 with 3280 viewsMrSheen

For some reason, I always loved the fact that he played the organ in his church.

Radio 4 has a lovely obituaries programme on Sunday nights at 8.30, which I listen to when I pick my daughter up from her job at the pool. Last night, after a sequence of the Falklands War surgeon with medals from both sides (Mr Jolly!), Dolores O'Riordain and Cyrille Regis, I couldn't speak to my daughter.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/14/falklands-hero-surgeon-rick-joll
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 13:23]
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 13:39 - Jan 22 with 3243 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Superb commentator, so calm and assured, interesting and authoritative.

Seemed a really decent sort as well.

RIP.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 16:47 - Jan 22 with 3158 viewsHendonHoop

Very sad news. He was a true gentleman and will be sadly missed.
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 17:27 - Jan 22 with 3131 viewsbosh67

RIP Jimmy.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 21:00 - Jan 22 with 3061 viewsMonahoop

Old school commentator and pundit. Talked sense in his gentle northern tones. I rarely listen to football commentary or programmes these days because simply as someone posted earlier, there are too many shouty, opinionated, childish oafs knocking about on the airwaves nowadays. RIP gentle northern man.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 21:11 - Jan 22 with 3038 viewsflynnbo

Gentleman Jim. RIP
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 21:47 - Jan 22 with 3013 viewsT_Block

Yes -a gentleman.Always had a kind word for Rangers
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 22:02 - Jan 22 with 2991 viewsVancouverHoop

I only remember him as a player – the first overlapping fullback in the English game. If you'd asked any kid in the early sixties who the best fullback in the country was I doubt there'd be many other names in the mix. I was lucky enough to see him, and Matthews, doing their stuff a couple of times. Great times.
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 22:32 - Jan 22 with 2968 viewsCiderwithRsie

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 22:02 - Jan 22 by VancouverHoop

I only remember him as a player – the first overlapping fullback in the English game. If you'd asked any kid in the early sixties who the best fullback in the country was I doubt there'd be many other names in the mix. I was lucky enough to see him, and Matthews, doing their stuff a couple of times. Great times.

That's really good to hear; well before my time but it is good to know those players and times are still remembered.
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 22:44 - Jan 22 with 2958 viewsCiderwithRsie

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:01 - Jan 22 by CamberleyR

Can only echo that and add Brian Moore to the list. Avuncular seems to be a word invented especially for him, he seemed to be a very nice man.

Also, he wasn't a club manager for very long but he is in a fairly exclusive list of English managers to manage a club in a European Cup final (Paisley, Clough, Barton, Fagan the others).

RIP

Was reading the obit in the Graun and he was manager for longer than I thought - 3 years at Bolton and 4 at Leeds, never outside the top 10 with Leeds (which probably didn't seem that great at the time but looks pretty impressive now). Robbed in Europe too.

A decent innings and a good life it seems so not as sad as some passings but it does feel a bit like an end of an era of decency combined with ability in English football. And still contributing all his life (I'd forgotten his role in the Venables appointment; an unusually sensible decision in the FA, possibly the last thing they got right. Makes you think that Armfield was under-used)
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 23:32 - Jan 22 with 2938 viewslondonscottish

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:17 - Jan 22 by daveB

One of the great broadcasters, 5live did a special with him last year and it was a fascinating listen.

Played a big part in Venables getting the England job as he lead a search for the next England manager

It's on again tonight. I've been listening it's fascinating.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 06:13 - Jan 23 with 2896 viewsjonno

Nice guy, great player and excellent commentator. Would probably have played in the 1966 WC Final (was in the squad and I believe was first choice) but was injured and missed out.
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 09:14 - Jan 23 with 2839 viewsElHoop

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 12:01 - Jan 22 by CamberleyR

RIP

Yeah it was he who got Leeds closest to being the champions of Europe in fact, not Revie. He took over the carnage left by Clough.

RIP Jimmy Armfield - a great man.
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 10:06 - Jan 23 with 2810 viewsfrancisbowles

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 06:13 - Jan 23 by jonno

Nice guy, great player and excellent commentator. Would probably have played in the 1966 WC Final (was in the squad and I believe was first choice) but was injured and missed out.

He had been first choice and captain from 1962-64 but was then out for two years. Came back in 1966 for two appearances, both as captain but then picked up a toe injury. England played three more games without him before the tournament. He was officially fit and a squad member but never played for England again. Moore had taken over as captain and Cohen as rb.

It's interesting to think of the players that got injured and left the captaincy available for Moore. Not only Armfield but Johnny Haynes had been injured in a car crash in 1962, having captained England in Chile 62.

Arguably, if Duncan Edwards hadn't been killed at Munich in 1958 he would have captained in 1966 as he would have been 29 by then.

RIP Jimmy a really great man with really decent values.
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 15:30 - Jan 23 with 2737 viewsElHoop

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 10:06 - Jan 23 by francisbowles

He had been first choice and captain from 1962-64 but was then out for two years. Came back in 1966 for two appearances, both as captain but then picked up a toe injury. England played three more games without him before the tournament. He was officially fit and a squad member but never played for England again. Moore had taken over as captain and Cohen as rb.

It's interesting to think of the players that got injured and left the captaincy available for Moore. Not only Armfield but Johnny Haynes had been injured in a car crash in 1962, having captained England in Chile 62.

Arguably, if Duncan Edwards hadn't been killed at Munich in 1958 he would have captained in 1966 as he would have been 29 by then.

RIP Jimmy a really great man with really decent values.

Surely Edwards would have played instead of Stiles?

He may well have been captain, but Moore would still have played.
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 19:41 - Jan 23 with 2671 viewsfrancisbowles

RIP Jimmy Armfield on 15:30 - Jan 23 by ElHoop

Surely Edwards would have played instead of Stiles?

He may well have been captain, but Moore would still have played.

Yes, I agree. I didn't mean he wouldn't have played as he was an outstanding defender.
RIP Jimmy Armfield on 11:34 - Jan 24 with 2574 viewsTacticalR

Ian Holloway's tribute to Jimmy Armfield (who he knew from his time at Blackpool) on 5 Live Football Daily (35 minutes in, about 5 minutes long).

A tribute to Jimmy Armfield
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05vrksh

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024