Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre backs if no one comes in 16:05 - Jun 26 with 2348 viewsbosh67

I would go with moving Furlong into the CB position because he has the Helguson/Parker leap and aerial ability. Plus he's fast. If Hall is fit then he would slot back in and we know what he can do at 6 foot 3+.

So Furlong and Hall would be my preferred CBs this season.

We've got Kakay coming through, Bidwell, Lynch and Baptiste who can step up.

Fox and Phillips could feature from the U23s and Phillips could be the surprise package as he is a beast.

God forbid the wrath of Clive but Goss could be trained to play CB if needed.

The problem with Furlong coming to CB which I think is a great move for him is that we have quite a few left backs now and hardly any right backs in the squad. That is a position we are lacking cover for. Unless they retrain Cousins as a right back, even though his tackling ability is a bit suspect.

We do have players for CB that could work but right back if Furlong comes across is a problem now. Hopefully the new gaffer won't make Wszolek play there. That would again be a total waste of his ability.

Thoughts?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 16:24 - Jun 26 with 2302 viewsRangersw12

I'm concerned about the lack of experience in the whole squad .

Furlong has done well at RB and he should be left to develop/improve there IMO
Centre backs if no one comes in on 21:14 - Jun 26 with 2159 viewsNorthernr

This Goss at centre back thing holds as much water as your Tyler Blackwood is the new Clive Allen thing.

They know they need to strengthen at centre back and with this money coming in now they will. As it stands, that defence gets relegated.
Centre backs if no one comes in on 21:29 - Jun 26 with 2111 viewscolinallcars

Centre backs if no one comes in on 21:14 - Jun 26 by Northernr

This Goss at centre back thing holds as much water as your Tyler Blackwood is the new Clive Allen thing.

They know they need to strengthen at centre back and with this money coming in now they will. As it stands, that defence gets relegated.

True, and just six weeks away from the first game of the season. Not a lot of time to buy and fit in two CBs.
Centre backs if no one comes in on 22:06 - Jun 26 with 2025 viewsbosh67

Centre backs if no one comes in on 21:14 - Jun 26 by Northernr

You do know that Goss is 9 foot 11!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 23:16 - Jun 26 with 1945 viewskensalriser

Will no one mention that Clint Hill could still do a job?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 07:56 - Jun 27 with 1824 viewsMarc

Relying on a player that has been crocked for the best part of two years and a RB converted to CB would most likely be a disaster, especially with an inexperienced goalkeeper replacing smithies.
Centre backs if no one comes in on 08:00 - Jun 27 with 1807 viewsEsox_Lucius

Hamalainen?

The grass is always greener.

Centre backs if no one comes in on 08:11 - Jun 27 with 1789 viewsTheChef

Centre backs if no one comes in on 21:29 - Jun 26 by colinallcars

True, and just six weeks away from the first game of the season. Not a lot of time to buy and fit in two CBs.

Come on, defending as a back four isn't exactly rocket science. Just get them drilled early and as much as possible.

You'd hope the club has a few targets lined up and once we get past 1st July there will be more movement re new signings.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Centre backs if no one comes in on 09:50 - Jun 27 with 1684 viewsfrancisbowles

In the limited time that he has played at cb, I believe Furlong has been impressive and looks like a, long term, Ned replacement.

However, experience in that position is key and we can't start the season with Furlong alongside a recovering Hall or an inconsistent Lynch in front of a rookie keeper.

Now if we return to a three at the back at some point (I said if), Furlong could do a job similar to the one Walker is now doing for England. Once again though, experience counts as Walker has been caught out once so far and we have bigger tests to come.
Centre backs if no one comes in on 09:53 - Jun 27 with 1677 viewsGloucs_R

Back four as it stands:

Furlong / Hall / Lynch / Bidwell

With Baptiste, Kakay and Nico as back up. So two full backs with little experience and a CB who can manage maybe 20 games. Just over a month to get two new defenders in.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 10:06 - Jun 27 with 1668 viewsTheChef

Centre backs if no one comes in on 09:53 - Jun 27 by Gloucs_R

Back four as it stands:

Furlong / Hall / Lynch / Bidwell

With Baptiste, Kakay and Nico as back up. So two full backs with little experience and a CB who can manage maybe 20 games. Just over a month to get two new defenders in.

Are Hall and Lynch even fit?

Not that I expect them to play five consecutive games in August, that would be ridiculous.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 10:47 - Jun 27 with 1612 viewsqprd

Furlong needs to own the right back position first before he can think about shifting to CB

If QPR expects to play Phillips any time soon, he cant be dicking around in the U23s. He should be getting appearances here and there, even just initially as a substitute fullback or a CDM. Don't think anyone L1/L2 team is going to take him on loan and give him playing time given his total lack of experience
Centre backs if no one comes in on 11:44 - Jun 27 with 1556 viewsGloucs_R

Centre backs if no one comes in on 10:06 - Jun 27 by TheChef

Are Hall and Lynch even fit?

Not that I expect them to play five consecutive games in August, that would be ridiculous.

Lynch certainly is, been training hard preseason..........apparently.

Hall took part in some of the sessions this week. So probably not fit by the start of the season.

Lets hope we have a magic wand and can uncover another Darren Peacock from the lower leagues.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 11:59 - Jun 27 with 1541 viewsPlanetHonneywood

With the sheer potency of our attacking options being what they are, I doubt there’ll be much need for this defending thing you’re all getting in a tizzy over. Sure play a couple of centre backs to assuage some, but I can’t see them having much to do!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 13:05 - Jun 27 with 1478 viewskingsburyR

Centre backs if no one comes in on 11:59 - Jun 27 by PlanetHonneywood

With the sheer potency of our attacking options being what they are, I doubt there’ll be much need for this defending thing you’re all getting in a tizzy over. Sure play a couple of centre backs to assuage some, but I can’t see them having much to do!

I'll have whatever you are on!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Centre backs if no one comes in on 13:19 - Jun 27 with 1442 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Centre backs if no one comes in on 13:05 - Jun 27 by kingsburyR

I'll have whatever you are on!

He’s taking Sarcastimol.
Centre backs if no one comes in on 13:35 - Jun 27 with 1415 viewskingsburyR

Centre backs if no one comes in on 13:19 - Jun 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

He’s taking Sarcastimol.

Prescription or over the counter?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 13:42 - Jun 27 with 1392 viewstimcocking

At the moment we'd surely be screwed. You can't downgrade massively and hope to improve, whoever the fcuk is taking training.

I imagine plan A is find a good centre back or two sharpish. I'm trying not to panic, but it's the way they keep on pushing a one year older Alex Baptiste all the time which is ringing alarm bells (even if he played well).

I assume the Portugal trip is just for the attackers?
Centre backs if no one comes in on 14:01 - Jun 27 with 1365 viewsswisscottage

Don't be surprised if McClaren goes back to three at the back in a similar formation to England

Furlong - Hall/Lynch - Bidwell
or
Furlong - Hall - Lynch

where you have 'converted' fullbacks either side of a single CB, and then play attacking wingbacks.

Depending on the opposition and whether you expect to have more possession or less then determines whether you then play two holding midfielders or one.
Centre backs if no one comes in on 14:02 - Jun 27 with 1359 viewskingsburyR

Centre backs if no one comes in on 14:01 - Jun 27 by swisscottage

Don't be surprised if McClaren goes back to three at the back in a similar formation to England

Furlong - Hall/Lynch - Bidwell
or
Furlong - Hall - Lynch

where you have 'converted' fullbacks either side of a single CB, and then play attacking wingbacks.

Depending on the opposition and whether you expect to have more possession or less then determines whether you then play two holding midfielders or one.

Does that mean Pavel gets a game?

Centre backs if no one comes in on 14:44 - Jun 27 with 1299 viewsswisscottage

Centre backs if no one comes in on 14:02 - Jun 27 by kingsburyR

Does that mean Pavel gets a game?

I'm not saying whether it will work with our current personnel, just that I think McClaren will want to play that way.

I don't think it will suit Pav, as he strikes me far more as an out and out winger in the Ainsworth mould.

What I will say is that McClaren may have a better idea how to get our current squad playing with it better. than Olly did.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024