Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy 14:00 - Oct 22 with 2742 viewsMrSheen

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/22/rise-and-fall-of-thin-lizzy-no-one

As for the recollections...Don't Believe A Word!

A friend used to help his dad out on his milk-round in Kew. They used to deliver morning vodka to Phil's house.
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 14:53 - Oct 22 with 2686 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Thanks.

Something in that made me google this. Midge Ure!!! I didn't know he was a good guitar player!

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 15:02 - Oct 22 with 2673 viewsBoston

Saw ‘em live a couple of times, very good show, never really impressed by their vinyl to be honest.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 15:24 - Oct 22 with 2653 viewsLythamR

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 14:53 - Oct 22 by Metallica_Hoop

Thanks.

Something in that made me google this. Midge Ure!!! I didn't know he was a good guitar player!

Adequate guitar player, i wouldnt say good certainly not in comparison

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 15:43 - Oct 22 with 2641 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 15:24 - Oct 22 by LythamR

Adequate guitar player, i wouldnt say good certainly not in comparison

That's true compared to Moore and Robertson but I'd never have thought he could have a bash at their guitar parts.

I met Scott Gorham backstage at High Voltage in 2010 with Northolt. Nice chap, he posed for a pic too. Mel was chatting to him about Stan Bowles as I recall.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 15:45 - Oct 22 with 2639 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great article. Thanks to Sheen and NW5.

I never really got Lizzy as a kid, but knew they were good at what they did. Lynott's Mum, Philomena, was a friend of a friend of my Mum and she used to spend two weeks in August every year in our Hotel in West Cork back in the 70's and 80's. Really lovely lady and down to earth. Everyone was mad about her and she'd give me a few bob for dropping her drinks down to her table.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 16:28 - Oct 22 with 2590 viewsfrancisbowles

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 15:45 - Oct 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Great article. Thanks to Sheen and NW5.

I never really got Lizzy as a kid, but knew they were good at what they did. Lynott's Mum, Philomena, was a friend of a friend of my Mum and she used to spend two weeks in August every year in our Hotel in West Cork back in the 70's and 80's. Really lovely lady and down to earth. Everyone was mad about her and she'd give me a few bob for dropping her drinks down to her table.

Nice story, Brian. They were my 2nd best band after Rory Gallagher. Saw them loads, including in a small venue when they were restarting after Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson replaced Gary Moore/Eric Bell in 75, I think. Great band got all their vinyl too.

Didn't Philomena (which incidentally was my mum's name although she hated it and was known as Phyl) run some sort of cafe in the Manchester area?
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 17:09 - Oct 22 with 2563 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 16:28 - Oct 22 by francisbowles

Nice story, Brian. They were my 2nd best band after Rory Gallagher. Saw them loads, including in a small venue when they were restarting after Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson replaced Gary Moore/Eric Bell in 75, I think. Great band got all their vinyl too.

Didn't Philomena (which incidentally was my mum's name although she hated it and was known as Phyl) run some sort of cafe in the Manchester area?

I thought she was a hotelier, FB?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 17:23 - Oct 22 with 2552 viewsNW5Hoop

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm a little too young to have seen them, and when I was a kid they weren't heavy enough for me. Later on, they started to hit some of my sweet spots, though. They just never got it right all the way through a studio record, though, did they? The run of Jailbreak to Black Rose is very strong, but none of them are near back-to-front perfect. I mean, we'd all take Live and Dangerous on its own over all four of those studio records put together, wouldn't we, honestly?

Lynott's such a complicated writer. Not least because he often hides in plain sight: Don't Believe a Word is an extraordinary lyric, in which he lays out the fact he is a serial liar and philanderer. It's not romantic in the least; it's brutal. But he manages to makes himself sympathetic, and it's that tension that makes it great. Because he's so complicated — creating all these different mytholgies, each of which are Lizzy archetypes (Celtic warrior, Western drifter, street gang leader, bruised romantic) — he's streets ahead of any of the other hard rock lyric writers of the era.

I teased Gorham, by claiming that Visconti had told me there was so much rerecording done for Live and Dangerous that those outtakes had formed much of Bad Reputation and Black Rose. He was genuinely on the brink of fury until he realised I was making it up. Perhaps went a bit far with that one. Oh well.
Login to get fewer ads

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 18:55 - Oct 22 with 2508 viewsLythamR

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 17:23 - Oct 22 by NW5Hoop

I'm a little too young to have seen them, and when I was a kid they weren't heavy enough for me. Later on, they started to hit some of my sweet spots, though. They just never got it right all the way through a studio record, though, did they? The run of Jailbreak to Black Rose is very strong, but none of them are near back-to-front perfect. I mean, we'd all take Live and Dangerous on its own over all four of those studio records put together, wouldn't we, honestly?

Lynott's such a complicated writer. Not least because he often hides in plain sight: Don't Believe a Word is an extraordinary lyric, in which he lays out the fact he is a serial liar and philanderer. It's not romantic in the least; it's brutal. But he manages to makes himself sympathetic, and it's that tension that makes it great. Because he's so complicated — creating all these different mytholgies, each of which are Lizzy archetypes (Celtic warrior, Western drifter, street gang leader, bruised romantic) — he's streets ahead of any of the other hard rock lyric writers of the era.

I teased Gorham, by claiming that Visconti had told me there was so much rerecording done for Live and Dangerous that those outtakes had formed much of Bad Reputation and Black Rose. He was genuinely on the brink of fury until he realised I was making it up. Perhaps went a bit far with that one. Oh well.

Fighting has grown on me over the years and there is some really good stuff on the earlier albums as well, its not hard rock but some of it is particularly soulful, beyond Black Rose its pretty much formulaic Hard Rock and unspectacular, going through the motions although even with Snowy White on guitar they still had their moments as a live band

Phil Lynott was essentially a poet who ended up in a rock band. he was a romantic and can as easily be associated with William Blake and Percy Shelley as closely as with Ozzy Osbourne or Lemmy,

He had a great chance to escape the cycle of drug abuse when he married but sadly he didnt achieve the required escape velocity which was an absolute tragedy
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 19:00 - Oct 22 with 2499 viewsfrancisbowles

Yes I like Nightlife which is very soulful and Vagabonds of the Western World which is a mixture of blues and rock etc.

I only found out recently that Nightlife, the title track is a Willie Nelson song.
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 19:01 - Oct 22 with 2496 viewsfrancisbowles

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 17:09 - Oct 22 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought she was a hotelier, FB?

Your probably right, Brian. I knew it was something in hospitality.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 19:01]
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 19:55 - Oct 22 with 2452 viewsPaddyhoops

Phil is One of Irelands great icons. Brilliant band.
Seen them live live at slane Castle in 1981. Awesome live band . One of the support bands was a little known band called U2. Seen them again a few years later at a festival in Castlebar, co Mayo.
They were a shambles. Lynott died not long after.
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 19:59 - Oct 22 with 2447 viewsPaddyhoops

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 16:28 - Oct 22 by francisbowles

Eric Bell used to play a residency in the Archway tavern back in the eighties. We we're blessed and it was free.
Mind you the amount of alcohol we drank more than covered Bells fee for the night!!
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 20:22 - Oct 22 with 2429 viewsGalacticR

Fantastic article, was before my time to see them with Phil Lynott, but did see the current version of the band a few years back as support for Deep Purple, they was brilliant live.
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 20:23 - Oct 22 with 2428 viewsstevec

This’ll upset all the Guardian readers on here but, before an England game, I played snooker with Phil Lynott at the Wembley Conservative Club.

BOOM SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE THE ROOM .
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 20:38 - Oct 22 with 2416 viewsPaddyhoops

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 20:23 - Oct 22 by stevec

This’ll upset all the Guardian readers on here but, before an England game, I played snooker with Phil Lynott at the Wembley Conservative Club.

BOOM SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE THE ROOM .

Phil wouldn't have been overly bothered about politics.
He did a brilliant interview with BP fallon a colourful Irish rock journalist many years ago.
BP asked him how his career/life was panning out.
He replied, "I'm a black, Irish b****d, its been all down hill since". Typical Lynott!!
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 21:06 - Oct 22 with 2393 viewsCiderwithRsie

Yeah, I read that earlier - very good. Not much love lost between Robbo and Gorham, it seems.

Lizzy were on my radar but as a band a tad older than my contemporaries so it's slightly shocking to realise Phil Lynnott was just 36 when he died.

EDIT Worth also saying that Lynott was a fine bass player, one of the few in rock to really put that instrument at the front of the song
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 21:07]
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 08:55 - Oct 23 with 2292 viewsplasmahoop

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 17:23 - Oct 22 by NW5Hoop

Interesting points you make, and great article, but personally I think jailbreak is great from start to finish. One of my favourite albums. I see what you mean with some of the others, bad reputation is a bit patchy. But downtown sundown is a personal favourite. And how many groups do great albums all the way through? You normally end up listening to the songs you like more
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 12:14 - Oct 23 with 2228 viewsToast_R

Probably their period between 75 to when Brian Robertson left, they were the best sounding band out there. But they were too young and f*cked up to make the most of it. Robertson was around 17 when he joined and his skills with a guitar were truely unbelievable at that age, insanely talented. They developed that twin lead sound which inspired by Lynott's songwriting talents, produced some unbelievable albums. Johnny the Fox my personal favourite. If only they were better managed and stayed away from the parasites, they could have been the biggest band in the world for a time. Live & Dangerous captures it but its overly dubbed. Live 75 which is a later cleaned up release taken from gigs just as Goreham and Robertson were bedding in, is a really raw but wonderful album. The recording of Still in Love with you (greatest love song of all time) is really something to behold.

I was too young to have the opportunity to see them live, Limehouse Lizzy are the next best thing if you ever get the chance.
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 12:44 - Oct 23 with 2205 viewsQPRSteve

I used to see them and Gary Moore's first band Skid Row at the Marquee quite regularly. My best ever gig was when Gary Moore stepped in for an ill Eric Bell. Iv'e never seen the Marquee so packed.

Marvellous night. Got a grope off some girl next me who'd stripped down to her bra. Happy days.
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 18:09 - Oct 23 with 2143 viewsNW5Hoop

Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 12:14 - Oct 23 by Toast_R

Probably their period between 75 to when Brian Robertson left, they were the best sounding band out there. But they were too young and f*cked up to make the most of it. Robertson was around 17 when he joined and his skills with a guitar were truely unbelievable at that age, insanely talented. They developed that twin lead sound which inspired by Lynott's songwriting talents, produced some unbelievable albums. Johnny the Fox my personal favourite. If only they were better managed and stayed away from the parasites, they could have been the biggest band in the world for a time. Live & Dangerous captures it but its overly dubbed. Live 75 which is a later cleaned up release taken from gigs just as Goreham and Robertson were bedding in, is a really raw but wonderful album. The recording of Still in Love with you (greatest love song of all time) is really something to behold.

I was too young to have the opportunity to see them live, Limehouse Lizzy are the next best thing if you ever get the chance.

They weren't specially badly managed. Their mishaps were all their own doing: no one forced Lynott and Gorham to have their appetite for drugs. The members of the band insist L&D is not massively overdubbed. And, to be fair, Visconti increases the amount of overdubbing every time he talks about it.
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 20:51 - Oct 23 with 2086 viewsNorthantsHoop

Good article, saw Lizzy a couple of times in 80 at the Odeon and 81 at MK Bowl. Just one of the classic hard rock bands. Met Scott Gorham with Metallica Hoop and Son of Northolt at High Voltage, a very nice guy to talk to about old Lizzy days. Studio version of Emerald on Jailbreak a total duel guitar fest, and a personal headbanding favourite is Don't Believe a Word from Johnny the Fox. Remember seeing Gary Moore doing a fantastic version of this at Shepherds Bush Empire in 2007.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 20:52]
Great NW5 article on Thin Lizzy on 11:47 - Oct 24 with 2005 viewsNoelmc

Excellent article NW5, with some interesting insights.

One of my all-time favourite bands, who were fantastic live at their peak. Lynott was a very charismatic front-man and a great songwriter. He was a rocker, who could turn his hand to touching love songs and even radio friendly pop - Dancing in the Moonlight is a fantastic pop song.

Its a real shame that he self-destructed at far too young an age - the classic case of 'Live fast, die young'. His legacy lives on and he certainly deserves his statue in Dublin, which as is customary in the area has acquired a nickname, 'The Ace with the bass'. It's also great to be reminded of him in articles such as this.

Thanks for flagging it up Mr Sheen.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024