Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? 08:27 - Nov 21 with 1766 viewsbollockchops

Back in 89 Rangers played Newcastle but we stayed in the Pavillion for just one more and when we got to the ground all the turnstiles were shut so we walked around and where there is an alley on Ellerslie Rd that leads to the away end was a copper and i span a yarn about a big crash on the motorway and he let us all four of us in just in time to see Martin Allen score a screamer in front of us and we won 3-0.....good times
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 08:33 - Nov 21 with 1750 viewscaliforniahoop

Must be at least 25+ years ago against Sheffield Wednesday, thankfully it ended 0:0
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 08:54 - Nov 21 with 1724 viewsQPRSteve

I used to stand in the away end quite a lot in 1977 with my mates. Never any problems.
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 09:00 - Nov 21 with 1714 viewsBrianMcCarthy

No, but now I really want to.
Not first game back, though.
First game back I'm going to run on a reversing U through Saffa, Loft and Ells for the entire first half.
Then I'll put some clothes on and sit down somewhere and watch the match.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 09:44 - Nov 21 with 1644 viewsterryb

I stood in the school end for the last game of the 78/79 relegation season.

I was with my wife & other Ipswich fans that I knew as we all met for pre match drinks in the Black Horse before Ipswich midweek home games.

We were well & truly stuffed, but it was hard to handle the sympathy of those with me & other Ipswich fans. Not from the result, but from the announcement that Docherty had been appointed as manager.

I was inconsolable with the news & this remains the closest I've ever been to removing my support for the club!
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 10:12 - Nov 21 with 1626 viewsnix

How the hell do you not jump up when we score though? It's just automatic, isn't it? Although I'm pretty sure I've sat next to some away fans in SAR as they speak v quietly so as not to give accents away and don't stand up whichever side scores.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 10:12]
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 10:26 - Nov 21 with 1593 viewsqueensparker

Of all the games to do it, I was in the away end for the 5-5 with Newcastle.

I was only a young lad and went with my mate from school and his Dad, who didn’t know the ground, and he took us into the top tier in the away end by mistake. Quite something to be surrounded by hordes of screaming Geordies at that age for a boy who’d never gone further north than Harlesden. Learnt a lot of new words that day and also an early lesson in how to keep your mouth shut if you’re in the wrong end... Was brilliant to be an eye witness as they went from cocky arrogance at 4-0 up to completely f–king gutted as Mickelwhite got number 5, will never forget that game
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 10:28 - Nov 21 with 1590 viewsSuperhoop83

I was in the away end in November 1988. We lost 1-0 to Liverpool and I didn't enjoy being pushed forward about 5 rows when they scored - John Aldridge got the goal, I think.

I was with a southern scouser mate but I've no idea why we went in the away end - maybe the home stands were sold out??

On a related note, a friend of mine brought a Man City fan into the East Paddock for the cup game we lost 4-3 in 1995. He has been banned ever since from repeating that mistake!

Suffering since 1978.

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 10:41 - Nov 21 with 1567 viewshantssi

Loads, when the kids were small it what where they gave out cheap family tickets in the lower tier!
Login to get fewer ads

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 12:19 - Nov 21 with 1509 viewsTGRRRSSS

Think we did a deal for a fiver in lower school end in the old div 2 and I am sure I saw us beau Scunthorpe in School Lower.

Never been in School upper or East Paddocks, the only areas I've not been in, but technically been in every stand Per Sey.
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 12:24 - Nov 21 with 1508 viewsAntti_Heinola

went with a mate once to watch West Brom play Fulham when they were groundsharing with us. Sadly, fulham won 3-0, so was a miserable night, the view was not great. Think Fulham's left back scored a screamer though. TBF to them, they had a tidy side at that point, with some likeable players.

Bare bones.

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 12:32 - Nov 21 with 1497 viewsEsox_Lucius

When I first started going I used to watch the first half at whichever end Rodney was going to score at then walk along the SA terrace to the other end for the second half. That was all put to a stop to when Jim Gregory built the bloody SAR stand. Bastid!

The grass is always greener.

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 12:46 - Nov 21 with 1468 viewsHarbour

Stood on the school end terrace a few times in the early 70s always seemed to be a fair few rangers in there and suprislingly few bother with away fans. But would not stood there if Millwall west spam or the scum in town.
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 12:52 - Nov 21 with 1465 viewsqpr_1968

was in the school end when we beat west ham 6-1 in the fa cup.
was with a west ham mate who didnt want to stand in the loft end, my mate collapsed and fainted due to being crushed in the crowd, that was after about 20 minutes, spent most of the game with st johns ambulance men, lucky enough, until he was fit to leave.
remember leighton james goal.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 13:14 - Nov 21 with 1433 viewsDavieQPR

When I first went there wasn't really an away end, especially mid week, so we used to change ends at half time. You could walk unobstructed right around the ground in those days. Always remember standing in the rain at the 'other' end and a dirty, wet, gritty ball going over my head and hitting the terracing and rebounding back straight into my face. Claret everywhere.
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 13:24 - Nov 21 with 1419 viewsSydneyRs

Second game my Dad ever took me to v Chelsea in about 1978. Finished 0-0 but sure we were were in the Chelsea end (school end). Being about 9, I was happily cheering for Rangers without a care in the world and my Dad being both old enough to be slapped and Irish was probably wishing he left me at home!
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 13:26 - Nov 21 with 1412 viewsSydneyRs

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 10:26 - Nov 21 by queensparker

Of all the games to do it, I was in the away end for the 5-5 with Newcastle.

I was only a young lad and went with my mate from school and his Dad, who didn’t know the ground, and he took us into the top tier in the away end by mistake. Quite something to be surrounded by hordes of screaming Geordies at that age for a boy who’d never gone further north than Harlesden. Learnt a lot of new words that day and also an early lesson in how to keep your mouth shut if you’re in the wrong end... Was brilliant to be an eye witness as they went from cocky arrogance at 4-0 up to completely f–king gutted as Mickelwhite got number 5, will never forget that game

Must have been amazing to be in that end. Even from the Loft the devastation when we got our 5th was obvious. What a game.
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 14:14 - Nov 21 with 1360 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Think I mentioned it on here before. QPR v Liverpool boxing day 1991. Me and my brother couldn't get in the home end but managed to get into the West Paddock terrace, which was Liverpool for this game. Finished 0-0, the only time this has ever happened for this fixture in 51 matches.

Also sat in the lower school end for the play-off semi final v Wigan which was QPR for this game.

Edit- Wigan not Oldham
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 14:16]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 15:32 - Nov 21 with 1303 viewswelwynranger

have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 13:14 - Nov 21 by DavieQPR

When I first went there wasn't really an away end, especially mid week, so we used to change ends at half time. You could walk unobstructed right around the ground in those days. Always remember standing in the rain at the 'other' end and a dirty, wet, gritty ball going over my head and hitting the terracing and rebounding back straight into my face. Claret everywhere.

Claret everywhere was we playing West Ham?
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 19:26 - Nov 21 with 1220 viewsBrixtonR

My second game at Loftus Road (Newcastle 2-1 79-80 was my first) and it was actually the Loft. It was the Spurs game in January 1981 and my uncle (a spurs fan) had got me and my mate (another Spurs fan) tickets. It was when they'd taken the roof off the old loft for redevelopment at the end of the season and Rangers had the school end. I had a QPR scarf on but hid it under my coat. Luckily it was 0-0 as I'm not sure if I would have been able to have not jumped if we'd scored as fkn hated Spurs.
Funny thing was I went to the Chelsea home game (1-0 Tommy Langley) a couple of weeks later and only missed one home game (Soton 0-2 1986 Chicken Pox) until January 1990.

Always gutted I never stood on the old loft with the proper roof, that roof made it much louder in those days before they put the seats above.
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 20:20 - Nov 21 with 1177 viewsSteveB

I was in the Loft the day the scum came out of the School End, ran the length of the pitch and jumped into the Loft, if that counts.. Horrible memories...
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 21:38 - Nov 21 with 1120 viewsswisscottage

Man City 1991
Right at the back of the upper tier in the School end with my then girlfriend who was a huge City fan.

It was all I could do not to go ape, when Les scored after a brilliant move. Sam didn't speak to me all the way home :).

Passed the ball out wide from just inside the city half after coming back to win it, made a bee line straight to the box to get on the end of the returning cross. with an absolutely perfect unstoppable low bullet header into the bottom right hand corner.

[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 21:42]
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 21:59 - Nov 21 with 1094 viewsplasmahoop

Used to live in Gillingham and sat in the school end upper tier with a couple of gillingham supporting mates for the 2 all midweek draw in late 2000. Was in with the qpr fans for the one nil win at priestfield later in the season and the 5 nil loss to Wimbledon on the Saturday after.
Peter crouch turned the 2 all for us. We were 2 nil down and could have been more. Crouch came on and they couldn't cope with him at all
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 22:05 - Nov 21 with 1089 viewsqprxtc

You’d have to ask the wife.
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 23:07 - Nov 21 with 1018 viewslightwaterhoop

If i remember correctly there was a brief period in the early 1980's when away supporters were not allowed to stand in the lower school end they had to sit in the upper part.QPR supporters were encouraged to stand in the lower part the idea being that it would improve the support for the team.It was not very popular and didnt last long but i did stand there once when we played Orient in a very drab game indeed but the only reason i remember it was because Stan Bowles was playing for Orient!
have you ever been at HQ but in the wrong end ? on 23:26 - Nov 21 with 999 viewskropotkin41

A couple of times. There were occasions when tickets were sold on Groupon and the lower School End was home fans........ damned if I can remember the season or the games..... although maybe Dec 2013, Bournemouth's first season in the Championship, they came to HQ and played really nice football but looked lightweight and we won 3-0.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024