Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Postponed games / rest 19:12 - Feb 20 with 1793 viewstraininvain

Anyone else think we might be benefiting from the postponed games and the extra rest we’ve had as a result?

Not saying it’s the only reason as obviously Charlie’s had a big impact and the change in formation has paid off. But it can’t be a coincidence that we’re finishing games strongly and often getting the winning goals in the last 20 mins.
Postponed games / rest on 19:15 - Feb 20 with 1755 viewsT_Block

Yes

Very clear after today
Postponed games / rest on 19:33 - Feb 20 with 1699 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Yes.

The goalkeeper and defence have been superb too.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Postponed games / rest on 19:33 - Feb 20 with 1698 viewsQPR_John

Postponed games / rest on 19:15 - Feb 20 by T_Block

Yes

Very clear after today

Of course the other side of the coin is that we will have to play those games when other teams are resting
Postponed games / rest on 19:51 - Feb 20 with 1640 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Postponed games / rest on 19:33 - Feb 20 by QPR_John

Of course the other side of the coin is that we will have to play those games when other teams are resting

Yes the next 4 wins might not be so easy to come by. Lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

Postponed games / rest on 20:00 - Feb 20 with 1603 viewsterryb

Postponed games / rest on 19:33 - Feb 20 by QPR_John

We only have one game more in March & one game more in April than other clubs & the game in April is against Rotherham who have the same dates for fixtures as us.

Wycombe would have played more games in 2021 than us when we play them as well.
Postponed games / rest on 20:42 - Feb 20 with 1489 viewsW7Ranger

"But it can’t be a coincidence that we’re finishing games strongly and often getting the winning goals in the last 20 mins."

Definitely a 2nd half team at the mo. Apart from Luton, I can't remember the last time we scored in the 1st half!
Postponed games / rest on 07:37 - Feb 21 with 1324 viewsTGRRRSSS

Possibly, but it;'s been a tough season, and even if it's true, there's clear signs of improvement at the back, don't forget we actually have 4 from the 6 against Bournemouth this season.

I think Charlie has helped in terms of what he might have brought behind the scenes, even if it simply takes pressure off others which gives them more freedom and less worry especially up front.

Lets enjoy it while we can, and others have had enforced breaks too afterall any side we didnt play due to pitches, or Covid had the rest too.
Postponed games / rest on 10:17 - Feb 21 with 1220 viewsfrancisbowles

Without a doubt.

It gave us time on the training ground to bed in the new recruits and work on the formation.

It gave us the time to rest and go into recent games with less fatigue and more energy in the legs than opponents.

It facilitated the current run which has now lifted much of the 'bottom three' pressure.
Login to get fewer ads

Postponed games / rest on 11:23 - Feb 21 with 1188 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Postponed games / rest on 10:17 - Feb 21 by francisbowles

Without a doubt.

It gave us time on the training ground to bed in the new recruits and work on the formation.

It gave us the time to rest and go into recent games with less fatigue and more energy in the legs than opponents.

It facilitated the current run which has now lifted much of the 'bottom three' pressure.

Agree FB, and agree with the OP.

I'm more than slightly concerned about how tired we looked yesterday before the subs came on. Maybe it's just that we've been loading the players of late, as that was our last chance before we hit the manic schedule of games. I hope so, because a few days of rest would solve that. If it's not that, we're in trouble.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Postponed games / rest on 11:43 - Feb 21 with 1171 viewsdaveB

no doubt about it, I think if the Luton game had gone ahead on the 2nd January and we'd not won then Warburton would have gone. That little break gave him time to work with the players in training and we have seen the benefits. They have used the extra time off from games really well
Postponed games / rest on 12:03 - Feb 21 with 1130 viewsgobbles

Postponed games / rest on 19:51 - Feb 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yes the next 4 wins might not be so easy to come by. Lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

I don't think the last four wins were easy to come by.
Rest or no rest wins against Watford, Blackburn, Brentford and Bournemouth is an unbelievable effort. How about giving them credit rather than picking holes in it?
Postponed games / rest on 12:04 - Feb 21 with 1128 viewsMyke

Postponed games / rest on 11:43 - Feb 21 by daveB

no doubt about it, I think if the Luton game had gone ahead on the 2nd January and we'd not won then Warburton would have gone. That little break gave him time to work with the players in training and we have seen the benefits. They have used the extra time off from games really well

Very true. Also the Rotherham game, even though we are in good form, was still a relegation battle if it had gone ahead last Saturday. Hopefully by mid-April, it'll be a dead rubber.
Postponed games / rest on 12:15 - Feb 21 with 1098 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Postponed games / rest on 12:03 - Feb 21 by gobbles

I don't think the last four wins were easy to come by.
Rest or no rest wins against Watford, Blackburn, Brentford and Bournemouth is an unbelievable effort. How about giving them credit rather than picking holes in it?

Not picking holes at all we’re on a great run and i’m loving every minute but i’d imagine things will settle down a bit now.

I’m not really one for doing predictions (get them wrong a lot) but next six games I’ve got us down for LLWDWD. Happy to be proved wrong.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 12:15]

Postponed games / rest on 10:28 - Feb 22 with 942 viewsfrancisbowles

Postponed games / rest on 11:23 - Feb 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Agree FB, and agree with the OP.

I'm more than slightly concerned about how tired we looked yesterday before the subs came on. Maybe it's just that we've been loading the players of late, as that was our last chance before we hit the manic schedule of games. I hope so, because a few days of rest would solve that. If it's not that, we're in trouble.

I noticed that as well Brian and am hoping that a lot of the tiredness is down to the extra mental fatigue caused by the Brentford game. I think they were really wound up before and during that game and then were in a state of 'euphoria' after. Lol

In all seriousness though it must have an effect on the energy levels.
Postponed games / rest on 10:29 - Feb 22 with 939 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Postponed games / rest on 10:28 - Feb 22 by francisbowles

I noticed that as well Brian and am hoping that a lot of the tiredness is down to the extra mental fatigue caused by the Brentford game. I think they were really wound up before and during that game and then were in a state of 'euphoria' after. Lol

In all seriousness though it must have an effect on the energy levels.

True, that could well be a one-off factor to add in.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Postponed games / rest on 11:21 - Feb 22 with 893 viewsdenhamhoop2

Think the going out of the Cups as soon as possible has also been a blessing in disguise especially when looking at Brentford on Saturday at least half their team looked quite a bit off the pace. Would say Warbs seems to have got the hang of this 5 subs malarkey a bit better does help that at least 3 of the subs probably are better footballers than those they replace
Postponed games / rest on 12:14 - Feb 22 with 823 viewsderbyhoop

Let's see how that pans out now we've got 8 games in less than a month.

Careful use of the 5 subs, possibly guided by the sports science guys, will have a big impact.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Postponed games / rest on 13:20 - Feb 22 with 783 viewsterryb

Postponed games / rest on 12:14 - Feb 22 by derbyhoop

Let's see how that pans out now we've got 8 games in less than a month.

Careful use of the 5 subs, possibly guided by the sports science guys, will have a big impact.

This is true, but there are 7 other clubs that face the same. All the other 16 clubs face 7 games in the same period, missing out on the midweek when we play Wycombe.

It's a hell of difficult time ahead, but it's not just us that will be affected. Possibly Huddersfield will have an advantage against us as they would have had a week between games when we play them.

Hopefully we will have the dutch defender & Thomas available to help swell our numbers.
Postponed games / rest on 13:26 - Feb 22 with 771 viewsLongsufferingR

One other big factor to take into account though is confidence. They must feel they are superhuman at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024