Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading ban 08:50 - Aug 3 with 2155 viewsPinnerPaul

Really only of interest to those who have children playing under 12 (or younger organised football)

IF the competition agrees to take part in the trial, then deliberate heading of the ball will be 'illegal'

Indirect free kick if it is penalised, if in penalty area, an indirect free kick on the penalty spot.

Yellow if it breaks up a promising attack, red if it denies a goal or obvious goalscoring opportunity..

Good luck to all involved!
Heading ban on 08:54 - Aug 3 with 2139 viewsDixie_CT

East Berkshire league has been playing no overhead height for the Under 7/8/9’s for quite a few seasons. Was strange to coach in that environment and due to physical restrictions of the players, the ball rarely got lifted and not with much force.

Penalising with cautions and sendings off seems daft. What a way to shatter a player who is sent off for something that is only physically harmful to them. Try judging the likelihood of a clear goal scoring opportunity with the ball in the air. Refs will need to brush up their physics!!

Ban it in training for sure.
Heading ban on 09:15 - Aug 3 with 2071 viewsessextaxiboy

Bit of an over reaction IMO

The Ex pros who have suffered played when the ball absorbed a gallon of water , the tech involved in todays balls makes that impossible .

Thats where the controls should be IMO , the ball manufacturers to produce a "safe approved ball" and maybe restrictions on heading training for juniors and limits on it for pros.

Do you suddenly grow a thick skull on your 13th birthday ?

and issue cautions and sending off ? .. for kids ?
Heading ban on 09:23 - Aug 3 with 2043 viewsSonofpugwash

Heading ban on 09:15 - Aug 3 by essextaxiboy

Bit of an over reaction IMO

The Ex pros who have suffered played when the ball absorbed a gallon of water , the tech involved in todays balls makes that impossible .

Thats where the controls should be IMO , the ball manufacturers to produce a "safe approved ball" and maybe restrictions on heading training for juniors and limits on it for pros.

Do you suddenly grow a thick skull on your 13th birthday ?

and issue cautions and sending off ? .. for kids ?

Damn right.At least the modern balls don't have that lace to contend with either to lacerate your forehead.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Heading ban on 16:09 - Aug 3 with 1881 viewsLazyFan

Strange I would have been lobbing it up the field all day long as you cannot head it back. Chances are it will bounce without being cleared are now much much much higher, bounce means it goes even closer to the goal and could get close enough that if an attacking player gets on the end of it, for instance, a quicker shooting chance can occur. If you keep doing that your bound to get lots of shots on goal.

Corners must be fun, I am usually against going short, but now you could go short to then get the angle to shoot high, after all the only person who can stop it now is the Keeper, anyone else gets in the way could risk giving away an indirect free kick 4 yards off the goal line and another clear shooting chance.

Fascinating, I really wanna see such a game. We could call it "Highball".

zzzzzzzzzz

Heading ban on 19:38 - Aug 3 with 1768 viewsJames_Paddocks

I coach u9s and none of them like heading the ball anyway!
Heading ban on 20:49 - Aug 3 with 1703 viewsBoston

Can't see this ending well.
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/portrait-of-a-man-with-his-head-replaced-by

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Heading ban on 20:57 - Aug 3 with 1699 viewskensalriser

For a split second I saw that as Reading ban and got my hopes up.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Heading ban on 21:14 - Aug 3 with 1674 viewsBoston

We're Hayes, not Yeading
We're going all out Heading.

Login to get fewer ads

Heading ban on 23:16 - Aug 3 with 1596 viewsJuzzie

Heading ban on 19:38 - Aug 3 by James_Paddocks

I coach u9s and none of them like heading the ball anyway!

My son is soon to start his first full U8 season and if anything like the U7 half-season (Jan-June) just done it won’t be a problem either ‘cos none of them on any team liked heading the ball. Happy to let it drop and let fate intervene.
Heading ban on 01:44 - Aug 4 with 1561 viewsBoston

For what it's worth, I wasn't keen on heading the ball either, nasty big dirty thing flying at yer, 90 miles an hour!

Heading ban on 08:25 - Aug 9 with 1315 viewsbellomatic

As a parent of 11 and 9 year olds, I think the ban is a great idea. The 11 year goes for big headers and it can't be good for him (perhaps it is not bad for him, but I'd rather he didn't take the risk)

That said, I suspect I'm in a minority here. I think it would be an improvement if heading was banned in the adult game too:

- there's much more artistry in controlling the ball with the foot than the head (when did you ever see a headed goal that looked really brilliant?)
- it would mean there was less of advantage to defenders being tall (which means smaller players can't play that role)
- it would force more interesting tactics for corners than merely trying to hit it into the box at approximately head height (something we're not very good at anyway, as most of corners hit the first man)

While we are on the subject of rule changes, I think it would be good idea to abolish the offside rule, but I've never been to convince any proper football fan of that line of thinking!
Heading ban on 08:40 - Aug 9 with 1289 viewsDixie_CT

Heading ban on 08:25 - Aug 9 by bellomatic

As a parent of 11 and 9 year olds, I think the ban is a great idea. The 11 year goes for big headers and it can't be good for him (perhaps it is not bad for him, but I'd rather he didn't take the risk)

That said, I suspect I'm in a minority here. I think it would be an improvement if heading was banned in the adult game too:

- there's much more artistry in controlling the ball with the foot than the head (when did you ever see a headed goal that looked really brilliant?)
- it would mean there was less of advantage to defenders being tall (which means smaller players can't play that role)
- it would force more interesting tactics for corners than merely trying to hit it into the box at approximately head height (something we're not very good at anyway, as most of corners hit the first man)

While we are on the subject of rule changes, I think it would be good idea to abolish the offside rule, but I've never been to convince any proper football fan of that line of thinking!

Have you tried going to watch 5 a side instead?

Imagine Les Ferdinand’s diving header v Man City was not allowed? Or Jamie Mackie’s in the Aguero game?

Taller plays have their advantages for sure but so do shorter players.
Heading ban on 09:06 - Aug 9 with 1248 viewsHastings_Hoops

Heading ban on 08:25 - Aug 9 by bellomatic

To answer the question on ‘artistry’ in headed goals… Sir Les scored a few (Man City diving header and Middlesborough looping header) come to mind. Also recall Darren Peacock v Chelsea with a thunderbolt with many Parisians campaigning to have a corner of the Louvre dedicated to it.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 9:09]
Heading ban on 09:17 - Aug 9 with 1231 viewsEsox_Lucius

Dykes' goal Saturday wasn't too shabby either... and below head height LOL

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024