Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A slow start to the season? 09:06 - Aug 17 with 1191 viewsdmm

Like many, I thought we'd have a slow start to the season so hoped for a reverse of last season's form. A new manager, injuries to key players, and regrouping after the disappointment of last season all suggested that might be the case. Isn't that what we're currently experiencing?

It's normal for there to be a kickback reaction on here after a home defeat but it's more extreme than usual. Maybe we as supporters are having a 'slow' start to the season too?

Even though it's the first Beale game I've left with real questions about his approach, it is only August. There is a long way to go.
A slow start to the season? on 09:25 - Aug 17 with 1135 viewsdavman

The thing is that losing can become a habit. I get that we may start slow and also that I had us down for 0 points from the first three games and three from last night's one, but we need to be picking up points whilst players are out.

My worry is Dykes and Bonne. Massively worried that they have already shown themselves to be below this level and the early signs of improvement are simply not there.

We should have been out of sight last night before Bowler did the inevitable and should be sitting pretty with 7 points today.

Also Jojo is showing signs of his legs having gone and he is contracted to us as long as Willock and Dickie are.

Hopefully this is an initial blip and we'll get there by September...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

A slow start to the season? on 09:40 - Aug 17 with 1090 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

I'm reading less into the results and more into the style and manner of play. The worrying thing for me (so far) is the similarity between how we've started this season and how we ended last. It's reasonable to conclude therefore that MB is really struggling to get his ideas and coaching ingrained.

It's such early doors that the bar's not even open so no time to panic. Things do need to change though - it won't be long until there's a theme of malcontent if they don't.
A slow start to the season? on 09:47 - Aug 17 with 1063 viewsdmm

A slow start to the season? on 09:40 - Aug 17 by Padulas_Shampoo

I'm reading less into the results and more into the style and manner of play. The worrying thing for me (so far) is the similarity between how we've started this season and how we ended last. It's reasonable to conclude therefore that MB is really struggling to get his ideas and coaching ingrained.

It's such early doors that the bar's not even open so no time to panic. Things do need to change though - it won't be long until there's a theme of malcontent if they don't.

Yep, I feel similarly about the hangover from last season. Our tempo remains very slow and deliberate and is a big factor in why we're frustrated by what we see. Armstrong's quick and direct approach stands out in such stark relief to how we're playing.
A slow start to the season? on 09:51 - Aug 17 with 1045 viewstoboboly

A slow start to the season? on 09:40 - Aug 17 by Padulas_Shampoo

What has concerned me so far is our inability to adapt in a game. Last night we were so narrow that Blackpool could practically do what they wanted down the sides. We not only didn't counter that but we were crap down the middle.

As soon as someone runs at us we part like the dead sea and panic (see their goal, 5 players round him like headless chickens).

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

A slow start to the season? on 10:22 - Aug 17 with 976 viewsdmm

A slow start to the season? on 09:51 - Aug 17 by toboboly

What has concerned me so far is our inability to adapt in a game. Last night we were so narrow that Blackpool could practically do what they wanted down the sides. We not only didn't counter that but we were crap down the middle.

As soon as someone runs at us we part like the dead sea and panic (see their goal, 5 players round him like headless chickens).

The narrow shape has been a feature of Beale's strategy so far. I assumed it was to address problems with conceding goals as Beale has spoken about constricting space in defence and opening it up in attack, but it's clearly not working. I'm not sure changing formation would help as 3 at the back won't fundamentally change this narrow shape Beale wants.
A slow start to the season? on 11:13 - Aug 17 with 919 viewstoboboly

A slow start to the season? on 10:22 - Aug 17 by dmm

The narrow shape has been a feature of Beale's strategy so far. I assumed it was to address problems with conceding goals as Beale has spoken about constricting space in defence and opening it up in attack, but it's clearly not working. I'm not sure changing formation would help as 3 at the back won't fundamentally change this narrow shape Beale wants.

True. If he is desperate for a narrow team then we need different players because we weren't able to cope with Blackpool down the sides and weren't able to push on through the middle.

Not sure what we can do with that tactic if we can't force the opposition not to go down the wings?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

A slow start to the season? on 11:32 - Aug 17 with 865 viewsSuperhoop83

Having nearly recovered from the ludicrous 4 minutes of added time after a sniper had shot countless Blackpool players during the second half, my take is:

1. MB needs time to see who and what works well as he is new to the club. He/we have also been unlucky with injuries and yesterday we had the debutant Laird at full back and two new and possibly not fully fit players in Paal and Roberts.

2. Johansen's legs have gone and we cannot ever play him, Field and Dozzell together again. I'm not sure there's ever been a slower midfield in the football league. Personally I'd drop Johansen now, but that isn't going to happen.

3. The formation needs to change. I don't know to what, but the 433 was way too narrow and ponderous and we looked wide open down the wings.

4. Dykes is no good as a lone striker. I haven't given up on him completely just yet, but his hold up play isn't good enough and his "finishing" last night was appalling.

5. Sinclair Armstrong was superb but he needs to be introduced gradually. At the moment he is the perfect sub.

6. We need Willock, Clarke-Salter and Amos back fast. I also think Richards will make a difference when he is fit again.

7. We need to sign another striker. God knows who though.

8. The players have to get on to the referee about time wasting. Last night was a new low for sh*thousing.

Come on you R'sss! Please!!!

Suffering since 1978.

A slow start to the season? on 11:37 - Aug 17 with 844 viewsParkRoyalR

A slow start to the season? on 11:32 - Aug 17 by Superhoop83

Having nearly recovered from the ludicrous 4 minutes of added time after a sniper had shot countless Blackpool players during the second half, my take is:

1. MB needs time to see who and what works well as he is new to the club. He/we have also been unlucky with injuries and yesterday we had the debutant Laird at full back and two new and possibly not fully fit players in Paal and Roberts.

2. Johansen's legs have gone and we cannot ever play him, Field and Dozzell together again. I'm not sure there's ever been a slower midfield in the football league. Personally I'd drop Johansen now, but that isn't going to happen.

3. The formation needs to change. I don't know to what, but the 433 was way too narrow and ponderous and we looked wide open down the wings.

4. Dykes is no good as a lone striker. I haven't given up on him completely just yet, but his hold up play isn't good enough and his "finishing" last night was appalling.

5. Sinclair Armstrong was superb but he needs to be introduced gradually. At the moment he is the perfect sub.

6. We need Willock, Clarke-Salter and Amos back fast. I also think Richards will make a difference when he is fit again.

8. The players have to get on to the referee about time wasting. Last night was a new low for sh*thousing.

Great post!
Login to get fewer ads

A slow start to the season? on 11:42 - Aug 17 with 820 viewsDamo1962

A slow start to the season? on 11:32 - Aug 17 by Superhoop83

Excellent analysis ...send it to MB 😎
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 11:43]
A slow start to the season? on 14:04 - Aug 17 with 718 viewsSuperhoop83

A slow start to the season? on 11:42 - Aug 17 by Damo1962

Excellent analysis ...send it to MB 😎
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 11:43]

I should add that I didn't think we were THAT bad last night.

It was a very frustrating and disappointing night, but if we (Dykes) had scored in the first half it probably would have been a very different game.

Suffering since 1978.

A slow start to the season? on 16:10 - Aug 17 with 614 viewsEmpireStateRanger

I was one who expected a slow start for the reasons the OP mentioned (end of last season, new manager, new players, etc.). But it is undoubtedly different when you see that expectation materialize. You can say "it'll take us a bit to get going" in June, but when, in August, when you see Dykes' struggles, JoJo's struggles, and the general inability to score goals from open play in August, it gets concerning.

But it's not all doom and gloom. I do think it'll come together and I do think we look better than we did in the last quarter of last season (can't overstate just how bad were were in the last quarter of 21-22).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024