Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s the point? 11:22 - Feb 19 with 2945 viewsloftboy

Okay so I was born in 1967 football was always my only real passion, from collecting panini stickers to being allowed to stay up late to watch sports night if there was an important game on, my memory goes back to the early 70’s, you had Leeds, Derby, Nottingham Forest, all winning the league.
Into the 80’s and Liveroool have started to monopolise with an interruption from Villa and Everton, but the smaller clubs were still in with a shout, there was us, Norwich, Watford, Ipswich even Wimbledon finished 5th one year.
Then onto the 90’s and the invention of a sport called football by at TV company called Sky, they didn’t want little clubs involved , no overseas revenue in that, so the money was thrown at the big boys and they got richer and they got bigger, grounds full of tourists paying top dollar to watch the game whilst filming it, Leicester broke the monopoly but have since been put back in their place.

The knock on effect has seen the 2nd division turn into a mini PL, the rich teams will win it, many break the rules that we are battling to adhere to ( yes we were one of those but our punishment won’t let it happen again)
I went to my first live game in 1978 I was 10 nearly 11, my Dad wouldn’t take me any earlier due to the hooliganism at the time, since then I have been hooked , one season attending 56 games including England games and ground hopping when we didn’t have a game, there have been seasons where I have only been to a handful due to personal commitments but as a rule I had a season ticket and knew where I’d be on a Saturday afternoon.
I got all my kids involved a couple of them having season tickets as young as 4, I was chuffed they seemed a keen as me, then my first marriage ended acrimoniously and I changed jobs , the kids moved to Yorkshire and I couldn’t attend as often as before, but still I was optimistic we could one day sit at the top table.
I have been to Wigan at home this season and Norwich away and have just bought tickets for me and two of my boys for Rotherham, I’m only going as they really want to!
After this season I think I’m done, I cannot see the point of any competition where you know at the start of the season you have no hope of winning, it isn’t a competition, so back to my original question, what’s the bloody point?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What’s the point? on 12:21 - Feb 19 with 2784 viewsParkRoyalR

I get your post but the answer (imo) is in there and was maybe more apparent during Covid,

your boys want to go to a game with you,

it's time together and something you share and a bond and it's character building stuff for later in life, keep the faith.
What’s the point? on 12:33 - Feb 19 with 2723 viewsBushRanger82

I've been asking myself the same thing these last few years.
A club that doesn't want even a semblance of a cup run, never mind harbour dreams of being involved in a final, and is only about league, league, league, and nothing else, is dead, soulless, a corpse.

The hardest part of the last 20/30 years, has been watching Chelsea fans see their club enjoy phenomenal success. Good luck to them, That is what football is about, garnering as many honours a club possibly can.
A pity that a club like ours, with a fabulous name, fabulous kit (when it's done right), couldn't have been one of the greats. Because, it really should have been.
What’s the point? on 13:23 - Feb 19 with 2577 viewshertshoops

I have many similar memories from the same starting point as you, and the same distrust of Sky
My son and I have stood through every home game this season. To be honest since the first half of last season under Warbs and a few early games under the Bealeshitter, watching the game is a secondary part of our day out

Hopefully my son is off to Uni, next season he'll only be there sporadically, so I'm enjoying spending home games with him and mates while I can - I refuse to let Rangers being temporarily shite spoil our days out
What’s the point? on 13:27 - Feb 19 with 2557 viewsessextaxiboy

For me the point is belonging to something , being loyal to it , being part of a community , a link to the past in my Dad and passing it on to my sons (sorry boys) . supporting this club is never ever boring , we lurch from success to failure , rags to riches , winning to losing .
We have a distinctive kit, and name and have had some great characters over the years .
Its a roller coaster .
What’s the point? on 13:50 - Feb 19 with 2505 viewsAntti_Heinola

What’s the point? on 13:27 - Feb 19 by essextaxiboy

For me the point is belonging to something , being loyal to it , being part of a community , a link to the past in my Dad and passing it on to my sons (sorry boys) . supporting this club is never ever boring , we lurch from success to failure , rags to riches , winning to losing .
We have a distinctive kit, and name and have had some great characters over the years .
Its a roller coaster .

Good post.
Also, I love watching football. The reality is that every season most teams in the league 'fail' - either by not getting promotion, or not making the play-offs, or by almost getting relegated or getting relegated. Depending on expectations. If you only go to see your team win a competition, and you need that regularly for it to be worth it, then this is the wrong club. Thousands go to non-league every week and have no expectation of winning the Premier League one day. That can't be why you go, because if it is, you're going to be very unhappy. It has to be for camaraderie, belonging, seeing mates, supporting your club, loyalty, and those rare seasons when we're actually really good and you appreciate it 1000 times more than any Man Utd or Liverpool fan does.

Martin Keown on TV said yesterday winning the old Div 2 with Villa was as good as any title with Arsenal. And he's right. The joy we had in 2011 will have been greater than any Man U fan will have felt since they started winning stuff again (outside the treble maybe!). Equally, I'd take the utter misery of the late 90s (and if you think we're bad now... jesus christ) for that one game v Oldham. It was all worth it.

Looking back to what is now really still the early days of football is interesting: From '59 to '66, 8 different clubs won the top flight in 8 seasons. That's incredible stuff, and you could in those days dream. Ipswich and Burnley in amongst the big boys. But from 69 to 92, only 7 different teams won the league. There have been 7 different winners in the PL era. It's been tough for 50 years - we should have high expectations as all clubs should, but the reality is whenever we're in the top flight we're punching miles above our weight - now more than ever imo.

Bare bones.

What’s the point? on 15:18 - Feb 19 with 2270 viewsswitchingcode

What’s the point? on 13:50 - Feb 19 by Antti_Heinola

Good post.
Also, I love watching football. The reality is that every season most teams in the league 'fail' - either by not getting promotion, or not making the play-offs, or by almost getting relegated or getting relegated. Depending on expectations. If you only go to see your team win a competition, and you need that regularly for it to be worth it, then this is the wrong club. Thousands go to non-league every week and have no expectation of winning the Premier League one day. That can't be why you go, because if it is, you're going to be very unhappy. It has to be for camaraderie, belonging, seeing mates, supporting your club, loyalty, and those rare seasons when we're actually really good and you appreciate it 1000 times more than any Man Utd or Liverpool fan does.

Martin Keown on TV said yesterday winning the old Div 2 with Villa was as good as any title with Arsenal. And he's right. The joy we had in 2011 will have been greater than any Man U fan will have felt since they started winning stuff again (outside the treble maybe!). Equally, I'd take the utter misery of the late 90s (and if you think we're bad now... jesus christ) for that one game v Oldham. It was all worth it.

Looking back to what is now really still the early days of football is interesting: From '59 to '66, 8 different clubs won the top flight in 8 seasons. That's incredible stuff, and you could in those days dream. Ipswich and Burnley in amongst the big boys. But from 69 to 92, only 7 different teams won the league. There have been 7 different winners in the PL era. It's been tough for 50 years - we should have high expectations as all clubs should, but the reality is whenever we're in the top flight we're punching miles above our weight - now more than ever imo.

That’s an excellent post and that’s how I see things about modern day football.I’m now watching Premier league football for the second season and looks like next season as well and have to say after the initial euphoria unless you are one of the so called top 6 it’s a bore fest.
What’s the point? on 15:49 - Feb 19 with 2141 viewspaulparker

I hate the premier league and champions league I just can’t get into modern football anymore
If I go to Rangers it’s more about the drink before hand and reminiscing about how good we were
It’s tragic how far we have fallen and I can’t see us winning anything again in my life time
For this season I’m done with it ,I’ve been going 40 odd years and apart from the 2000 debacle of a season i can’t think of a worst Rangers team to get behind
I think the sooner this super league gets going the better and maybe things may go onto a bit if an even keel it will also be interesting what happens to City and the knock on effects of that

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

What’s the point? on 16:04 - Feb 19 with 2101 viewsqpr_1968

loftboy, my whats the point was 10 years ago, but my grandson was into football then so i started taking him home and away for 10 years, he's 16 now and goes with his mates, qpr through and through.
i did that with my son and daughter and their cousins, took them all home and away through the late 80's up until the late 90's, all qpr and still go.
its my time with my mates now, i go purely for the social side, that 90 minutes in between is a chore.
first game for me was 2-1 win against notts forest 1968, one of 4 wins that season.
i've never missed a season since, averaging at least 20 to 30 games a season, living in ladbroke grove then shepherds bush has helped, its in the blood......role on the great grand kids....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Login to get fewer ads

What’s the point? on 16:56 - Feb 19 with 1932 viewsBoston

What’s the point? on 13:50 - Feb 19 by Antti_Heinola

Good post.

It's all about 'the day', the buzz from getting up in the morning, the travel, pub, grub, chit chat and glory be, when we get a result!

Since the formation of the league in 1888/89, only 24 clubs have ever finished top, and most of them are still the contenders for this and the foreseeable future.

We tied our flag to the mast of a sinking ship, is what it is, now please excuse me, it's time to rearrange the deck chairs.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What’s the point? on 18:51 - Feb 19 with 1762 viewsManinBlack

There may have only been 7 clubs winning the title between 69-92 but the smaller clubs could compete. We were London's highest placed club several times. That is simply not possible anymore with clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs earning big dosh in their Champions League campaigns.

Aston Villa won the title in 81 and the main challenge came from Ipswich. Derby won it twice and were 4th the season We came second. Even Wimbledon could finish in top 6 and their record for wins at Old Trafford and Anfield is superior to ours. We had two European campaigns but it looks a million miles away we will see Europe again.

For all our fine efforts over a 30 year period we still only won one major trophy as a third division club. The biggest change since 92 is We can no longer compete against the richest clubs as the gulf is now huge. That is the aspect that ha killed it for us. A club of our size can't even dream now and merely exists to fulfill its fixtures. In the modern game Stan Bowles would not have been with us for 7 years as he would have followed the big money the Premiership offers. Top quality players which we had in abundance once upon a time won't play for us again and that is the main difference today and back in 1992.
What’s the point? on 21:03 - Feb 19 with 1607 viewsDamo1962

What’s the point? on 18:51 - Feb 19 by ManinBlack

There may have only been 7 clubs winning the title between 69-92 but the smaller clubs could compete. We were London's highest placed club several times. That is simply not possible anymore with clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs earning big dosh in their Champions League campaigns.

Aston Villa won the title in 81 and the main challenge came from Ipswich. Derby won it twice and were 4th the season We came second. Even Wimbledon could finish in top 6 and their record for wins at Old Trafford and Anfield is superior to ours. We had two European campaigns but it looks a million miles away we will see Europe again.

For all our fine efforts over a 30 year period we still only won one major trophy as a third division club. The biggest change since 92 is We can no longer compete against the richest clubs as the gulf is now huge. That is the aspect that ha killed it for us. A club of our size can't even dream now and merely exists to fulfill its fixtures. In the modern game Stan Bowles would not have been with us for 7 years as he would have followed the big money the Premiership offers. Top quality players which we had in abundance once upon a time won't play for us again and that is the main difference today and back in 1992.

There are still too many small clubs doing OK for Sky and the Prem thankfully..And I say that with the utmost respect to these clubs. Sky must be gutted that it looks like three big clubs will drop this season. If you use the obscene money that comes with dining at the top...you can be relatively successful. We are what not to do😉
What’s the point? on 21:17 - Feb 19 with 1574 viewsthame_hoops

You’re a long time regular poster like me on this site, I get that, it seems to me every three or four months, a regular poster like yourself, posts a similar message. It gets a few replies, agreeing etc ( Ted Hendrix posted similar if I recall), then we will win a few games and it will be forgotten, you’ll be drawn back in. Have a few beers mate and chill.
What’s the point? on 22:20 - Feb 19 with 1509 viewsessextaxiboy

What’s the point? on 13:27 - Feb 19 by essextaxiboy

Its a roller coaster .

....and here we go round for another ride
What’s the point? on 23:44 - Feb 19 with 1394 viewsDamo1962

What’s the point? on 22:20 - Feb 19 by essextaxiboy

....and here we go round for another ride

We certainly aren't dull to follow 😉
What’s the point? on 03:00 - Feb 20 with 1305 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Great post loftboy that makes you think. We were still competitive in the early 90s but fell off the PL wagon just as the serious money started to roll in. Who knows what the club would be like now if we'd managed to remain at the top table.

When I was younger I had a general interest in football as a whole outside of my allegiance to QPR. I would look forward to MOTD, The Big Match, Saint and Greavsie, Football Focus, Cup Finals, World Cups, and International matches, regardless of who was playing. Since Sky TV got involved I've lost a lot of that love for the sport outside of supporting QPR and playing the odd 5-a-side myself.
What’s the point? on 04:41 - Feb 20 with 1278 viewsLblock

What’s the point? At the moment this surely should read “What is a point?”!!!!!!
Christ my life I picked the right season to take a step back!!!!!

For me the whole point always was the social side - we all know that expression that a good day out at the football is ruined by 90 minutes at the game. Where else can you get those moments that pepper some of the match reports on here - stairs goals, ultimate highs like rare oasis in a sea of lows, the humour and the chance to have a beer in some of the ropiest backwaters this country can offer. You’ll see someone not seen for years and off you go chatting about years gone past – like our chat in The Adelaide on occasions Rob, games you’d been our Ref and Rs matches we’d attended.

For various reasons I started losing that about 18 months ago….. the game itself has become a rotting empty carcass where I felt totally detached from…. once that social side began drifting away due to various factors it all became a bit…. shoulder shrug.

I consider myself privileged to have followed this club. The glory years of the late 80’s and early 90’s (before Sky invented the game) were a joy to be part of. The ups and downs have been exceptional and racking up 86 grounds was mental but enjoyable; to have seen us win a title, a huge trophy at Wembley and be part of so much else is irreplaceable. However I think my race is run now…. I’ll always be an addict…. sure I’ll get bitten again as I do still love going.

So to answer you question – the point is the people and the memories; they mean more than this sanatised slop served up at the top table

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

What’s the point? on 17:27 - Feb 21 with 994 viewsloftboy

What’s the point? on 04:41 - Feb 20 by Lblock

What’s the point? At the moment this surely should read “What is a point?”!!!!!!
Christ my life I picked the right season to take a step back!!!!!

For me the whole point always was the social side - we all know that expression that a good day out at the football is ruined by 90 minutes at the game. Where else can you get those moments that pepper some of the match reports on here - stairs goals, ultimate highs like rare oasis in a sea of lows, the humour and the chance to have a beer in some of the ropiest backwaters this country can offer. You’ll see someone not seen for years and off you go chatting about years gone past – like our chat in The Adelaide on occasions Rob, games you’d been our Ref and Rs matches we’d attended.

For various reasons I started losing that about 18 months ago….. the game itself has become a rotting empty carcass where I felt totally detached from…. once that social side began drifting away due to various factors it all became a bit…. shoulder shrug.

I consider myself privileged to have followed this club. The glory years of the late 80’s and early 90’s (before Sky invented the game) were a joy to be part of. The ups and downs have been exceptional and racking up 86 grounds was mental but enjoyable; to have seen us win a title, a huge trophy at Wembley and be part of so much else is irreplaceable. However I think my race is run now…. I’ll always be an addict…. sure I’ll get bitten again as I do still love going.

So to answer you question – the point is the people and the memories; they mean more than this sanatised slop served up at the top table

Actually feel a bit better about things after todays news.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What’s the point? on 17:31 - Feb 21 with 973 viewsessextaxiboy

What’s the point? on 17:27 - Feb 21 by loftboy

Actually feel a bit better about things after todays news.

…back in the game !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024