Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Zamora - Fulham perspective 09:59 - Feb 1 with 3482 viewsKonk

Without knowing the amount we received for Zamora, it’s difficult to know what I feel. If it was the £4m that’s been reported in some places, then it’s a poor deal for us and a good deal for you. £6-7m and I think we’ve down well to get in decent money for an increasingly injury-prone, 31 year old player who didn’t want to be at the club. If he’s the difference between you staying-up and going down, then £6-7m could be good business for both clubs. Two and a half years sounds about right for a player of his age/physcial condition - not sure what you're paying him, but he was supposed to be on £45kpw at Fulham and I'm sure you've had to improve upon that.

Oh his day Zamora can be immense; he’s physically strong, links play well, has scored roughly 1 in 3 in the Premier League over the past three seasons, and when he hasn’t played, we’ve looked a far weaker side; possibly because without Zamora or a similar player, the whole system stopped working, but undoubtedly also because of what Zamora personally brought to the team in terms of holding the ball up and bringing others into the game, his assists and his goals etc. Zamora was at his absolute peak a couple of seasons ago when we got to the Europa League final — he was unplayable at times and scored some fantastic goals during that run. Last season under Hughes, we struggled really badly without Zamora (all our forwards were injured at the time) and looked a far better side once he came back into the team in the Spring.

This season, Zamora has clearly been unhappy — there have been numerous leaks to the press about he and Jol not getting on, and his demeanour during games has not been one of a bloke enjoying himself - or trying at times. Zamora being stroppy is nothing new for us (or referees); he’s remarkably precious when it comes to his relationship with the crowd - many of whom he alienated by ‘celebrating’ goals with a cupped ear or mouthing off to one or two individuals who’ve had a pop at him in the past, rather than acknowledging the unyielding support he’s had from 90% of the crowd, even during his first season when he only scored two goals and missed countless chances. We even overlooked him being close mates with John Terry — regular text buddies after games apparently.

We had still looked a better side with Zamora in the team, but he has definitely lost some mobility and appears to be increasingly struggling with Achiles and ankle problems (both feet), has been playing with pain killing injections and often appears in discomfort during games. Not sure where his going leaves us: I think the club have made the assumption that we won’t go down (beat WBA tonight and I’ll be a lot more relaxed), good money was on offer (if £6m) and the manager gets to assert his authority by getting rid of an unhappy/disruptive player. This year was always going to be about transition for us and so far we’ve either been excellent or terrible with very little in between. I expect the idea is to spend in the summer when there’s better value to be had, but I’d be lying if I said I was happy to see Zamora go without an adequate or exciting replacement being brought in. As things stand at the moment, it’s difficult to see that Zamora leaving doesn’t weaken our team, whilst strengthening a team only six points below us.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:06 - Feb 1 with 2106 viewsNorthernr

Thanks for a considered and intelligent post, appreciated. £4.5m is the fee I believe.
Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:07 - Feb 1 with 2098 viewsingeminate

Good post that, cheers.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:09 - Feb 1 with 2078 viewsDesertBoot

Excellent writing. Thankyou

Wish I could be like David Watts

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:10 - Feb 1 with 2064 viewshoopstilidie

Cheers for that.
Hard to disagree with much of it if any.
As you say, fitness and desire will be key to the success or failure of this move.
I have to say I like the look of a front 2 of Zamora and Cisse beings as the strongest parts of their games would appear to compliment each other, if we had just been bringing in Zamora alone then I wouldn`t have been quite so enamoured in all honesty. We are either buying a game changer or we aren`t.
Time will tell.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:10 - Feb 1 with 2063 viewsCanadaRanger

Makes good sense. Well written.
Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:14 - Feb 1 with 2037 viewsKRanger

Thanks for the view.
Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:20 - Feb 1 with 2009 viewspomanjou

Tks Konk. Cannot see any way we would have paid 6-7m for a guy who will probably feature in about 30 games a season max. So you may have a poor deal in the financial sense but a good deal to have got rid of a troubled mind. We may have a good deal in a financial sense but only if he does the biz and gets/makes goals in sufficient matches.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:22 - Feb 1 with 1988 viewsBlackCrowe

Cheers Konk...a post of reason between our two set of supporters is a rare thing indeed. Final figure I heard was £4m and £45k p.w. with a hefty goal bonus.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:24 - Feb 1 with 1981 viewsKonk

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:10 - Feb 1 by hoopstilidie

Cheers for that.
Hard to disagree with much of it if any.
As you say, fitness and desire will be key to the success or failure of this move.
I have to say I like the look of a front 2 of Zamora and Cisse beings as the strongest parts of their games would appear to compliment each other, if we had just been bringing in Zamora alone then I wouldn`t have been quite so enamoured in all honesty. We are either buying a game changer or we aren`t.
Time will tell.

I think Zamora will definitely have the desire - he's been around England squads and his hoping to go to Poland/Ukraine. Now he's at a new club, I don't think you'll see any lack of effort.

If the fee was £4m then that's a good deal for QPR - also shows how desperate Jol must have been to move him on because I'd have hoped for £6m - especially with it being the deadline. Quite a few stories this season about Zamora being increasingly disruptive, so I guess the club just wanted shot. Shame for us at that money because he's a good player.

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:25 - Feb 1 with 1968 viewsGloucs_R

A Fulham fan and a thread thats not.... "we are bigger than you", "no your not, look how many you take away!"

Wow. Am I in a parallel world today?

I trust Hughes with forwards, thats for certain.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:26 - Feb 1 with 1963 viewsloftboy

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:24 - Feb 1 by Konk

I think Zamora will definitely have the desire - he's been around England squads and his hoping to go to Poland/Ukraine. Now he's at a new club, I don't think you'll see any lack of effort.

If the fee was £4m then that's a good deal for QPR - also shows how desperate Jol must have been to move him on because I'd have hoped for £6m - especially with it being the deadline. Quite a few stories this season about Zamora being increasingly disruptive, so I guess the club just wanted shot. Shame for us at that money because he's a good player.

Cheers Konk, Does he have a good shot/goal ratio or does the old song westham fans sang to him ring true?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:30 - Feb 1 with 1932 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks, Konk. Intelligent and reasoned post.

What formation, would you say, did Zamorra play best in for you?

4-2-2-2?
4-4-2?
Another?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:32 - Feb 1 with 1920 viewsTGRRRSSS

if he can chip in with 5-8 goals between now and May it should see us safe.
Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:35 - Feb 1 with 1905 viewspeejaybee

Thanks Konk, appreciate your comments. See you in a Final sometime maybe.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:39 - Feb 1 with 1879 viewsKonk

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:26 - Feb 1 by loftboy

Cheers Konk, Does he have a good shot/goal ratio or does the old song westham fans sang to him ring true?

I think Zamora looks a lot better in a 442 - often did well for us with creating assists for Gera, Dempsey, Johnson and Duff.

In terms of his shots - confidence. In his first season he did lots of good stuff for the team, but was absolutely woeful in front of goal. Once he got into a run of form, though, he was excellent. The Europa League year, he scored some fantastic goals, started to bully defenders (other than John Terry - weird and annoying) and began to believe he was a top player. Lots of good long range efforts and some decent free-kicks. He scored some important goals for us, but was probably more important for his overall contribution and bringing other players into the game.

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:47 - Feb 1 with 1820 viewsTheBlob

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 10:39 - Feb 1 by Konk

I think Zamora looks a lot better in a 442 - often did well for us with creating assists for Gera, Dempsey, Johnson and Duff.

In terms of his shots - confidence. In his first season he did lots of good stuff for the team, but was absolutely woeful in front of goal. Once he got into a run of form, though, he was excellent. The Europa League year, he scored some fantastic goals, started to bully defenders (other than John Terry - weird and annoying) and began to believe he was a top player. Lots of good long range efforts and some decent free-kicks. He scored some important goals for us, but was probably more important for his overall contribution and bringing other players into the game.

Should be an interesting encounter on the 25th.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:09 - Feb 1 with 1743 viewsBrightonhoop

Interesting perspective. I followed his progress at BHA and then Spurs thinking his confidence was an issue. He's matured a bit over the past 10 years into a half decent player. Here's hoping Mark Hughes can restore his confidence and Zamorra can find the taget.
Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:31 - Feb 1 with 1677 viewsBerkoRanger

A really good read Konk and a really intelligent discussion thread.

There was a story on here just after our hammering at your place that Zamora spoke to a couple of our players saying he would play for QPR in a heartbeat.
Now he's got the chance to prove his desire.

Looking forward to even more London Derbys next season with WH coming up as well!
Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:37 - Feb 1 with 1648 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Cheers Konk

A Fulham fan at work yesterday was a bit gutted as he's her favourite player. (though that may not be entirely football related )

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:38 - Feb 1 with 1636 viewsAunt_Nelly

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:37 - Feb 1 by Metallica_Hoop

Cheers Konk

A Fulham fan at work yesterday was a bit gutted as he's her favourite player. (though that may not be entirely football related )

You should take her up the R's Talli..
Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:40 - Feb 1 with 1628 viewswestolian

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:37 - Feb 1 by Metallica_Hoop

Cheers Konk

Did you then take advantage of her downbeat mood and drag her to the nearest cemetary ?

Thats just wrong

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:44 - Feb 1 with 1601 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I clearly missed a trick there guys.

Cemeteries are a summer passtime westy like Pimm's and Hendricks gin with Cucumber.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:46 - Feb 1 with 1581 viewsJuzzie

Cheers Konk!

Whether £4m or £6m I think the monies paid nowadays for a possible injury prone player is crazy, but that's the way it is I guess. Fingers crossed he stays injury free.

Do you think he'll be really up for it at Loftus Road or he may back off not wanting to score against his former club?

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 12:11 - Feb 1 with 1513 viewsKonk

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 11:46 - Feb 1 by Juzzie

Cheers Konk!

Whether £4m or £6m I think the monies paid nowadays for a possible injury prone player is crazy, but that's the way it is I guess. Fingers crossed he stays injury free.

Do you think he'll be really up for it at Loftus Road or he may back off not wanting to score against his former club?

Seeing as he clearly doesn't get on with Jol, I'd imagine he'd be well up for it. Plus he may well get a bit of stick and Zamora loves a grudge. I won't be giving him any grief providing he doesn't dig us out in the press or come out with any Paul Parker 'proper club' bollocks.

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 12:39 - Feb 1 with 1420 viewstoboboly

Zamora - Fulham perspective on 12:11 - Feb 1 by Konk

Seeing as he clearly doesn't get on with Jol, I'd imagine he'd be well up for it. Plus he may well get a bit of stick and Zamora loves a grudge. I won't be giving him any grief providing he doesn't dig us out in the press or come out with any Paul Parker 'proper club' bollocks.

What this?;

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/hughes-may-need-to-change-style-parker/

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024