Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report 15:58 - Mar 4 with 6155 viewsNorthernr

Ok, well I can sense from the debates on here today there's going to be some strong disagreement with some of this, but here it is for what it's worth anyway.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/54419
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:23 - Mar 4 with 3819 viewswood_hoop

Absolutely spot on Clive, it pain's some but despite the score a game where you daren't take your eyes off the screen for a minute.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:28 - Mar 4 with 3798 viewsNov77

I've seen games of volleyball where the ball spent longer on the ground

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:35 - Mar 4 with 3740 viewsNoelmc

Blimey, a very rare 9 for Mowatt. You must have been impressed!

I found it entertaining to watch as a one-off but think I would struggle to watch that style of football every week. Have to admit it was very effective though and they were deserved winners.

Thanks for the entertaining report.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:42 - Mar 4 with 3714 viewsNov77

the Barnsley under 11s:

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:49 - Mar 4 with 3687 viewsPinnerPaul

All fair comment.

To make matters 'worse' the one that hit the post and Bonne's miscontrol were both offside, the 1st one given, 2nd advantage signalled.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:52 - Mar 4 with 3681 viewsNorthernr

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:49 - Mar 4 by PinnerPaul

All fair comment.

To make matters 'worse' the one that hit the post and Bonne's miscontrol were both offside, the 1st one given, 2nd advantage signalled.

On the one off the post, my reading of it is if it had gone in it would have counted, but it then rebounded out to somebody who was offside.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:53 - Mar 4 with 3680 viewsdaveB

personally thought the game could have gone either way until the 3rd goal which killed the game off. They were the better side just as Blackburn were a few weeks back but we were getting chances and at 2-1 the next goal was key. Even at 3-1 we had chances to get back in the game.

On Mowatt was he available in January? I know it was rumoured that he wanted to leave but no one seemed to come in for him. He looks a good player.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:55 - Mar 4 with 3666 viewsPinnerPaul

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:52 - Mar 4 by Northernr

On the one off the post, my reading of it is if it had gone in it would have counted, but it then rebounded out to somebody who was offside.

No don't think so, I think it was Dykes who headed it, it then hit Charlie who was offside and then on to the post.

Andy (As usual!) called it correctly on comms
Login to get fewer ads

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:57 - Mar 4 with 3655 viewsNorthernr

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:53 - Mar 4 by daveB

personally thought the game could have gone either way until the 3rd goal which killed the game off. They were the better side just as Blackburn were a few weeks back but we were getting chances and at 2-1 the next goal was key. Even at 3-1 we had chances to get back in the game.

On Mowatt was he available in January? I know it was rumoured that he wanted to leave but no one seemed to come in for him. He looks a good player.

He's out of contract in the summer, and not signing one, so it was a possibility somebody could sneak in Wells/Freeman style with a bid, £1m was being mooted, but in the end nobody did.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:59 - Mar 4 with 3644 viewsPinnerPaul

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:57 - Mar 4 by Northernr

He's out of contract in the summer, and not signing one, so it was a possibility somebody could sneak in Wells/Freeman style with a bid, £1m was being mooted, but in the end nobody did.

Why not I wonder?

As you imply in the report (and mark), has to be in any Championship Team of the Season.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:02 - Mar 4 with 3630 viewsNorthernr

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:59 - Mar 4 by PinnerPaul

Why not I wonder?

As you imply in the report (and mark), has to be in any Championship Team of the Season.

Because why do you pay £1m for a player you can get for free in the summer?
Personally I think he would have been worth that to get him before an inevitable rush in the summer, but I get why teams didn't do it in the current climate. Plus I've always been a big fan so I probably overrate him.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:08 - Mar 4 with 3606 viewsLongsufferingR

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:42 - Mar 4 by Nov77

the Barnsley under 11s:

Fantastic! Cracked me up when the 20 mini goalkeepers came into view.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:37 - Mar 4 with 3486 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agree with that excellent report. I wouldn't say Barnsley were *quite* as great as you say, and it's not 'sniffy' to say you don't enjoy prolonged periods of head tennis in middle fifth of the pitch, it's just personal preference, surely? Equally sniffy to say you don't like defenders 'fannying about with it' (re: passing the football) if that is the case.

I do agree they played nice stuff up top, mind. I found it an absorbing game - 1st half more than the 2nd, where they shut us off very well - but overall, it was long periods of ugly stuff mixed with great effective play and some lovely skill from Mowatt (top class free kick that, nigh on unsaveable).

It looked revolutionary, I'll give it that. A bit like South Korea in 2002 (I remember one journo calling that 'frenzy football') - but they did it without their defenders crashing the ball sky high 8/10 times they received it.

Be interesting to see how they continue this season and next.

Bare bones.

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:38 - Mar 4 with 3479 viewsgazza1

We were 2nd best all over the park last night......they were better by far and they had too much energy for us. Were they better players technically, maybe or maybe not, some were and some were. We basically had no answer to their tactics or energy - it was awesome.

Could I watch it all the time - yea why not, it was impressive. Fair play to them, I was quite shocked with what I was watching.

In saying that I think we played into their hands and if we don't stick away good opportunities then we are not going to win - who knows what they would have done if we had scored those early chances.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:40 - Mar 4 with 3471 viewsdaveB

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:37 - Mar 4 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with that excellent report. I wouldn't say Barnsley were *quite* as great as you say, and it's not 'sniffy' to say you don't enjoy prolonged periods of head tennis in middle fifth of the pitch, it's just personal preference, surely? Equally sniffy to say you don't like defenders 'fannying about with it' (re: passing the football) if that is the case.

I do agree they played nice stuff up top, mind. I found it an absorbing game - 1st half more than the 2nd, where they shut us off very well - but overall, it was long periods of ugly stuff mixed with great effective play and some lovely skill from Mowatt (top class free kick that, nigh on unsaveable).

It looked revolutionary, I'll give it that. A bit like South Korea in 2002 (I remember one journo calling that 'frenzy football') - but they did it without their defenders crashing the ball sky high 8/10 times they received it.

Be interesting to see how they continue this season and next.

certainly wasn't revolutionary, Wimbledon were playing like this 30 years ago
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report (n/t) on 17:41 - Mar 4 with 3467 viewsMickS

[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 17:42]
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:54 - Mar 4 with 3409 viewsdutch

Reactionary not revolutionary. British bulldog on sulphate, with big dollops of head tennis, rush goalie and time wasting. One of the most depressing football matches I've ever watched, the game we love reduced to who can run the fastest and crowd the ball. And we were useless
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:56 - Mar 4 with 3397 viewsgazza1

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:40 - Mar 4 by daveB

That is how football was played many years ago....its only since we starting watching European teams passing backwards, sideways, sideways, backwards, forwards, then back again, 10 passes later it gets into the other teams half to create a goal scoring chance, if you are lucky - more passes than blades of grass on the pitch.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:58 - Mar 4 with 3387 viewsgazza1

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:57 - Mar 4 by Northernr

I would suggest that his agent has gotten something all lined up.......
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:59 - Mar 4 with 3386 viewsdutch

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:56 - Mar 4 by gazza1

That is how football was played many years ago....its only since we starting watching European teams passing backwards, sideways, sideways, backwards, forwards, then back again, 10 passes later it gets into the other teams half to create a goal scoring chance, if you are lucky - more passes than blades of grass on the pitch.

By whom? Gerry Francis? Trevor Francis? Don Masson? Paul Parker? Clive Wilson?
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 18:13 - Mar 4 with 3340 viewsgazza1

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:59 - Mar 4 by dutch

By whom? Gerry Francis? Trevor Francis? Don Masson? Paul Parker? Clive Wilson?

They were players but they still give it distance when needed and many of the players in that era were not concerned about hoofing it......
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 18:14]
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 18:36 - Mar 4 with 3257 viewsdutch

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 18:13 - Mar 4 by gazza1

They were players but they still give it distance when needed and many of the players in that era were not concerned about hoofing it......
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 18:14]

I can only assume most of those would be appalled by what Barnsley were doing and even more by how we responded.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report (n/t) on 18:53 - Mar 4 with 3195 viewsdutch

[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 18:55]
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 18:54 - Mar 4 with 3186 viewsdutch

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 16:23 - Mar 4 by wood_hoop

Absolutely spot on Clive, it pain's some but despite the score a game where you daren't take your eyes off the screen for a minute.

No. For the first time I wanted to turn it off in disgust.
Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 19:00 - Mar 4 with 3160 viewsstevec

Rangers run ragged by rampant Tykes — Report on 17:40 - Mar 4 by daveB

Can’t agree, Wimbledon used brute force right across the pitch,that wasn’t what I saw last night.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024