Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sweet Caroline 23:00 - Jul 9 with 2858 viewsstan4england

Maybe you can settle a debate for me? When did we start singing Sweet Caroline after big wins? I know we sang it after the Wigan play-off in 2014, but I have a hunch we sang it after Oldham in 2003 too?
Sweet Caroline on 23:09 - Jul 9 with 2822 viewsBoston

This bloody tune is also sung after a home win at Fenway Park. It is supposed to have started when drunken members of the Kennedy organized crime family, lead by mob boss Ted, regularly sang it for a family member.

The other, possibly more plausible story, is that Amy Toby, who used to pick the music played at the stadium, rather liked it.

I prefer the thought of pasty faced Hibernian drunks having a sing song.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sweet Caroline on 23:33 - Jul 9 with 2775 viewsstan4england

Sweet Caroline on 23:09 - Jul 9 by Boston

This bloody tune is also sung after a home win at Fenway Park. It is supposed to have started when drunken members of the Kennedy organized crime family, lead by mob boss Ted, regularly sang it for a family member.

The other, possibly more plausible story, is that Amy Toby, who used to pick the music played at the stadium, rather liked it.

If we go with the more plausible option, when do we think that may have started?
Sweet Caroline on 23:36 - Jul 9 with 2767 views80s_Boy

It's been a boxing thing for about 30 years or so now.

You won't attend many shows where it isn't played.
Sweet Caroline on 00:00 - Jul 10 with 2725 viewsdezzar

As a seventies boy i think its well shit . the sort stuff your parents played on their hitachi music centre while you were grooving to something cooler, Dont mind the young uns enjoying it though. Neil Diamond was always naff though
Sweet Caroline on 00:43 - Jul 10 with 2673 viewsNewBee

As referenced above, this first became an anthem in Anerican sport.

On this side of the pond, though possibly not the first, NI fans were singing it at least as early as 2004 (away to Switzerland).

And this video of the GAWA from Euro2016 has already received over 9m views:

Sweet Caroline on 01:10 - Jul 10 with 2638 viewslightwaterhoop

The only thing i can say for it is that its a lot better than Swing low sweet chariot.
Sweet Caroline on 01:37 - Jul 10 with 2613 viewsBoston

Sweet Caroline on 01:10 - Jul 10 by lightwaterhoop

The only thing i can say for it is that its a lot better than Swing low sweet chariot.

Y'know, I was occasionally in Richmond area pubs after an England rugby game and was always struck by the gusto which Glad All Over received. Rather moving.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sweet Caroline on 09:29 - Jul 10 with 2329 viewsterryb

Sweet Caroline on 01:37 - Jul 10 by Boston

Y'know, I was occasionally in Richmond area pubs after an England rugby game and was always struck by the gusto which Glad All Over received. Rather moving.

That was a Palace song far as long as I can remember. Obviously, Croydon trying to imitate Tottenham!
Login to get fewer ads

Sweet Caroline on 09:54 - Jul 10 with 2289 viewsMick_S

https://images.app.goo.gl/HRQFzGsHrDUySahW9

Is that you, Neil?

https://images.app.goo.gl/RT4WiboXGUsa83wy6

Doppelgänger.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 12:37]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Sweet Caroline on 10:26 - Jul 10 with 2244 viewstoboboly

I was there a few weeks after the bombing and sang it. Also been sung at the cricket etc for ages too. I like the way the media seem to think its a brand new thing.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Sweet Caroline on 11:16 - Jul 10 with 2167 viewsSnipper

It’s been a thing at the darts for years too.

I honestly don’t remember us doing it after play off games. Hi Ho silver lining is our go to tune.
Sweet Caroline on 11:18 - Jul 10 with 2162 views80s_Boy

Sweet Caroline on 10:26 - Jul 10 by toboboly

I was there a few weeks after the bombing and sang it. Also been sung at the cricket etc for ages too. I like the way the media seem to think its a brand new thing.

Glad someone else has said that about the media...

I know that I should laugh it off, but it has been part of boxing culture in this country for decades.
Sweet Caroline on 12:24 - Jul 10 with 2099 viewsfrancisbowles

Sweet Caroline on 00:00 - Jul 10 by dezzar

As a seventies boy i think its well shit . the sort stuff your parents played on their hitachi music centre while you were grooving to something cooler, Dont mind the young uns enjoying it though. Neil Diamond was always naff though

Agree that he's a bit naff to look at with all the ruffled shirts and screaming 'middle aged' women fans.

Good singer song writer though, in the pop genre.
Sweet Caroline on 13:50 - Jul 10 with 2028 viewsdezzar

Sweet Caroline on 12:24 - Jul 10 by francisbowles

Agree that he's a bit naff to look at with all the ruffled shirts and screaming 'middle aged' women fans.

Good singer song writer though, in the pop genre.

Agree hes a very talented singer/songwriter , just annoys me for some reason.im sure hes devastated by that
Sweet Caroline on 16:10 - Jul 10 with 1935 viewsthemodfather

this obsession to copy what yanks do, jimmy buffer started it here as i am sure he said he'd only come over to mc if they played this effing song, now it's endless. yes neil diamond gives money from proceeds to a boston charity and i applaud thatbut can't we stick to hi ho silver lining? or even ant and dec on the ball!
Sweet Caroline on 18:58 - Jul 10 with 1852 viewsCiderwithRsie

That's no way to talk about our Karl
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024