Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. 18:30 - Oct 12 with 2802 viewsDiscodroids

Stumbled across this on you tube. Fascinating USA team of ex english/European/Latin players inc Bobby Moore and Pele!.

I never knew this game exisited... it has a real pioneer/frontier feeling with a side dish of mercenary credo about it.

That England Kit is the Golden Fleece of all England kits. Beautiful. Love to get my hands on a shirt.

Does anyone else remember it?. Our England Captain Gerry surfing the peak sawtooth waves of his playing powers as well.

Magic. Pure Retro footballing Ecstasy.

[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 18:31]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:50 - Oct 12 with 2759 viewsCamberleyR

The American bicentennial tournament. England, Italy, Brazil and Team USA which was basically an NASL all stars team as the USA national team at the time wasn't considered strong enough to take on three ex world champions. It was the only time that all yellow Admiral strip was ever worn.

There's a famous photo of Gerry posing inbetween Pelé and Bobby Moore and Pelé due to his Puma boot sponsorship has white tape down his adidas Team USA shirt and shorts.

Phil Parkes could have gone on the tour as number 2 to Ray Clemence but had made himself unavailable due to Revie allegedly reneging on a promise to give him the second half of the Welsh FA centenary match in March and playing Clemence the whole game instead.

Supposedly Phil basically told Revie he could stuff it and that was that for his international chances all the time Revie was boss. Shilton had also got fed up of being permanent understudy and had also made himself unavailable for the tour so Joe Corrigan and Jimmy Rimmer were the other keepers.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:53 - Oct 12 with 2751 viewsdmm

Nice spot. Thanks for posting.
Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:57 - Oct 12 with 2736 viewsDiscodroids

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:50 - Oct 12 by CamberleyR

The American bicentennial tournament. England, Italy, Brazil and Team USA which was basically an NASL all stars team as the USA national team at the time wasn't considered strong enough to take on three ex world champions. It was the only time that all yellow Admiral strip was ever worn.

There's a famous photo of Gerry posing inbetween Pelé and Bobby Moore and Pelé due to his Puma boot sponsorship has white tape down his adidas Team USA shirt and shorts.

Phil Parkes could have gone on the tour as number 2 to Ray Clemence but had made himself unavailable due to Revie allegedly reneging on a promise to give him the second half of the Welsh FA centenary match in March and playing Clemence the whole game instead.

Supposedly Phil basically told Revie he could stuff it and that was that for his international chances all the time Revie was boss. Shilton had also got fed up of being permanent understudy and had also made himself unavailable for the tour so Joe Corrigan and Jimmy Rimmer were the other keepers.

I knew you'd fill in the gaps Camberley!. I thought of you when i was posting it.

Thanks for the info mate.

;-)

PS.. what a picture!. my new screensaver. never seen it before.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 18:58]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:01 - Oct 12 with 2720 viewsDiscodroids

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:53 - Oct 12 by dmm

Nice spot. Thanks for posting.

Cheers!.

Wonderful old footage that takes me back to when i was an ankle biter. Gerry was, and is, my alltime QPR Hero.

But for injuries his England Career could have been limitless.Perhaps even going on to play in Europe for one of the major clubs in Italy ,Spain or Germany like Keegan.I felt his game was suited to it.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 19:03]

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:08 - Oct 12 with 2698 viewsWatfordR

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:01 - Oct 12 by Discodroids

Cheers!.

Wonderful old footage that takes me back to when i was an ankle biter. Gerry was, and is, my alltime QPR Hero.

But for injuries his England Career could have been limitless.Perhaps even going on to play in Europe for one of the major clubs in Italy ,Spain or Germany like Keegan.I felt his game was suited to it.

At the time, he was already playing for one of the major clubs in Europe!
Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:10 - Oct 12 with 2690 viewsDiscodroids

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:08 - Oct 12 by WatfordR

At the time, he was already playing for one of the major clubs in Europe!

True!

:-)

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:14 - Oct 12 with 2681 viewsCamberleyR

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:01 - Oct 12 by Discodroids

Cheers!.

England basically losing their midfield in Colin Bell and Gerry within about six months or so of each other was a major factor IMO of us not qualifying for Argentina.

What a central midfield that could have been but they only played together five times. They won three and drew one and scored eleven goals including five in that memorable tonking of Scotland at Wembley.

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:14 - Oct 12 with 2679 viewshantssi

And he still sports the same hair cut some 45 years later!
Login to get fewer ads

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:28 - Oct 12 with 2640 viewsDiscodroids

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:14 - Oct 12 by CamberleyR

England basically losing their midfield in Colin Bell and Gerry within about six months or so of each other was a major factor IMO of us not qualifying for Argentina.

What a central midfield that could have been but they only played together five times. They won three and drew one and scored eleven goals including five in that memorable tonking of Scotland at Wembley.

Colin Bell And Gerry!. Brutal.

i Still Maintain that '82 world cup squad was our strongest ever.

A fit keegan, brooking and regis would have made all the difference.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 19:29]

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:34 - Oct 12 with 2621 viewsted_hendrix

Colin Bell ? one of the best midfielders I've ever seen, not wearing a QPR shirt that is.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:41 - Oct 12 with 2609 viewsCamberleyR

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:28 - Oct 12 by Discodroids

Colin Bell And Gerry!. Brutal.

i Still Maintain that '82 world cup squad was our strongest ever.

A fit keegan, brooking and regis would have made all the difference.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 19:29]

Had the FA had the balls to appoint Cloughie in December 1977 as they should have done rather than Mr Safe, Ron Greenwood, who hadn't even been a day to day club manager for three and a half years, then I reckon we would have gone a hell of a lot closer in the two finals tournaments we went to when he was manager, especially the '82 World Cup.

I've always believed those five years he was in charge were a bit of a waste. Even with three World Cup winners in West Ham's team he never got them higher than sixth and they usually were lower half strugglers.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 19:44]

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:42 - Oct 12 with 2608 viewsDiscodroids

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 08:56 - Oct 13 with 2402 viewsTheChef

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 19:41 - Oct 12 by CamberleyR

Had the FA had the balls to appoint Cloughie in December 1977 as they should have done rather than Mr Safe, Ron Greenwood, who hadn't even been a day to day club manager for three and a half years, then I reckon we would have gone a hell of a lot closer in the two finals tournaments we went to when he was manager, especially the '82 World Cup.

I've always believed those five years he was in charge were a bit of a waste. Even with three World Cup winners in West Ham's team he never got them higher than sixth and they usually were lower half strugglers.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 19:44]

There's a really good book about the England '82 team, also with plenty of back story about the 70s and our failure to qualify for the 1974 and 1978 World Cups. Definitely worth a read.

https://footballpink.net/book-review-out-of-the-shadows-the-story-of-the-1982-en

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 10:03 - Oct 13 with 2352 viewsMrSheen

Some great ad boards, Gola, B&I Ferries, the Brotherhood of Man. Can't say I remember Geordie Home Brew though.

I only read recently that Ron Greenwood was from Perivale. Brentford junior rather than QPR.
Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:01 - Oct 14 with 2130 viewsClive_Anderson

Love watching this sort of thing, even the way the players controlled and moved with the ball was totally different. It's almost like a different sport now.

Where on earth is that stadium? Looks like something from the 1930s. Did they crack open the White City stadium again especially for this game?
Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:27 - Oct 14 with 2107 viewsCamberleyR

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:01 - Oct 14 by Clive_Anderson

Love watching this sort of thing, even the way the players controlled and moved with the ball was totally different. It's almost like a different sport now.

Where on earth is that stadium? Looks like something from the 1930s. Did they crack open the White City stadium again especially for this game?

It was the John F Kennedy stadium in Philadelphia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_Stadium_%28Philadelphia%29?wprov=s

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 22:05 - Oct 14 with 2000 viewsLazyFan

Francis is captaining England with Keegan, Brooking and Clemance in that team. And also going through the oppo midfield and playing like he's an attacker. That's how good he was. The best player to ever play for the hoops, better than Bowles or Marsh in my view.

I recall a story that one time Francis showed the QPR team he was managing with I think Langley in it, a tape of how he played in midfield to inspire them to play the same way and Langers said "but boss we cannot do that".

zzzzzzzzzz

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 09:21 - Oct 15 with 1896 viewsMrSheen

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:27 - Oct 14 by CamberleyR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_Stadium_%28Philadelphia%29?wprov=s

Brilliant. Hosted Live Aid and NASCAR.
Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 15:07 - Oct 15 with 1819 viewsBoston

Best game in that tournament was England v Italy. The boys in blue were two nil up at the half, England scored three times in the second to take the win. Think Mike Channing netted, must go look.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 15:08]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 16:37 - Oct 15 with 1786 viewsCamberleyR

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 15:07 - Oct 15 by Boston

Best game in that tournament was England v Italy. The boys in blue were two nil up at the half, England scored three times in the second to take the win. Think Mike Channing netted, must go look.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 15:08]

That first half was Jimmy Rimmer's entire international career. You remember correctly that Mick Channon scored Bos, he actually got two and Phil 'Pinocchio' Thompson got the other.

https://www.englandstats.com/matches.php?mid=502

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 17:01 - Oct 15 with 1768 viewsClive_Anderson

Team America v Revie's England 1976. Gerry Francis. on 18:27 - Oct 14 by CamberleyR

Nice one....they don't make them like that anymore:

Built in 1926 so I wasn't far out.

Sadly demolished now like most of the old iconic stadiums such as Wembley, Maracana and the Estadio Da Luz.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024