Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grounds for concern — Column 17:25 - Dec 14 with 4109 viewsNorthernr

Following the recent resolutions of the cases against Reading and Derby, our resident financial expert Simon Dorset has kindly analysed...

- what went wrong
- what punishments could have been reached
- what punishments were settled on
- why

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/56514
Grounds for concern — Column on 18:09 - Dec 14 with 3911 viewsR_from_afar

Fascinating but at the same time, terrifying. A salutary lesson for any owners tempted to adopt a do or die, mortgage the future type approach to getting into the Premiership.

Thanks for the forensic level of detail

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Grounds for concern — Column on 19:17 - Dec 14 with 3693 viewsterryb

What surprised me was that Reading made less profit from the sale of the stadium & training ground than Birmingham did for the sale of St Andrews.

Their Chinese owners couldn't have realised the true value of football grounds!
Grounds for concern — Column on 22:47 - Dec 14 with 3258 viewsted_hendrix

Grounds for concern — Column on 19:17 - Dec 14 by terryb

What surprised me was that Reading made less profit from the sale of the stadium & training ground than Birmingham did for the sale of St Andrews.

Their Chinese owners couldn't have realised the true value of football grounds!

The Madejski Stadium Isnt exactly in a great location and never was, having worked substantially on It over the years I have never seen the marketing suites full, I've been to so many meetings there and there's always spare and empty boxes to be had.
The surrounding area has various long time empty brand new office blocks, Monday through till Friday the only cars parked at the stadium were either players or players agents cars. might have changed now but I doubt it very much.
The stadium has zero facilities within average walking distance, It is so in the wrong place, If and when we get a new stadium It is critical that we get It right (stating the bleeding obvious).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Grounds for concern — Column on 08:43 - Dec 15 with 2891 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks Simon. A really great explanation that, hopefully, we all should be able to understand.

Might be an idea for the fans of Derby and Reading to be given a copy. Indeed, fans of all clubs should be made more aware of the potential difficulties their clubs can get into.

It's good to see that selling the ground etc is now, again, not permitted under the rules. However, for some it is bolting the stable door etc. It was madness to include it when P&S replaced FFP.

Villa were extremely fortunate. Their run in to get to the play offs and then to win them was the best we have seen in the Championship over many seasons.
Grounds for concern — Column on 08:45 - Dec 15 with 2886 viewsnix

17 out of the 26 Reading squad are out of contract at the end of the season (subject to any automatic contract extensions). Good in one way as it'll get some presumably expensive salaries off the wage bill, eg Scott Dann. But will also mean the loss of a key player, John Swift, and a massive rebuilding.

Anyone who moans about Lee Hoos should be forced to read this article ten times.

Thanks a lot Simon. Really interesting.
Grounds for concern — Column on 09:47 - Dec 15 with 2771 viewsBlue_Castello

Grounds for concern — Column on 08:45 - Dec 15 by nix

17 out of the 26 Reading squad are out of contract at the end of the season (subject to any automatic contract extensions). Good in one way as it'll get some presumably expensive salaries off the wage bill, eg Scott Dann. But will also mean the loss of a key player, John Swift, and a massive rebuilding.

Anyone who moans about Lee Hoos should be forced to read this article ten times.

Absolutely since Hoos has arrived the club has been transformed from a basket case back to the club we grew up with and love, it's taken a number of seasons but we now have a more sensible wage bill and a strategy for future seasons as he openly says that he does future projections when working with the accounts.....
Grounds for concern — Column on 13:56 - Dec 15 with 2443 viewsPinnerPaul

Interesting to note that the top 13 worse turnover to wages figures I posted yesterday were all clubs that are currently in the Championship.
Grounds for concern — Column on 08:04 - Dec 16 with 1761 viewsSimonD

Grounds for concern — Column on 08:45 - Dec 15 by nix

I think it is also important to laud Les Ferdinand's role in our turnaround. He completely changed the club's values and culture. Without his efforts we would not have enjoyed watching Eze at QPR, we wouldn't currently be enjoying the likes of Chair and Willock and wouldn't be such an attractive club for young talent to come to. Without his hard work Lee Hoos' task in turning around our finances would probably have been impossible.
Login to get fewer ads

Grounds for concern — Column on 10:22 - Dec 16 with 1628 viewsnix

Grounds for concern — Column on 08:04 - Dec 16 by SimonD

I think it is also important to laud Les Ferdinand's role in our turnaround. He completely changed the club's values and culture. Without his efforts we would not have enjoyed watching Eze at QPR, we wouldn't currently be enjoying the likes of Chair and Willock and wouldn't be such an attractive club for young talent to come to. Without his hard work Lee Hoos' task in turning around our finances would probably have been impossible.

Yes I agree with all that. There are a lot of people involved in this (Chris Ramsey, also a notable name). Les has clearly worked tirelessly for the club and it's awful when you (less often, thankfully, these days) hear him and others being slagged off.

And yes the enjoyment we've all had seeing those young players develop and play such lovely football, and how important that is in attracting new, young talent.
Grounds for concern — Column on 20:28 - Dec 17 with 823 viewsDWQPR

Just spend an afternoon on with a good friend of mine whose sister is the partner of Chris Ramsey. Gave me a bit of an insight on the strategy adopted by the club going forward and it sounds very positive.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024