Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The half moon in bleeding putney 23:17 - Feb 2 with 2647 viewsqprxtc

On a. Bus on the way home from a glouirius night with Terry Chambers and the E-XTC band.

F ucking bloody brilliant. Shouted myself hoarse like a pony.

Stupidly bleeding happy. Went arse over tot on the way out.

Can’t control a bleeding football team and all the bollocks associated but I can f ucking sing obscure XTC z sides.

Good bless f ucking living.

It begins at the hop.

Love you all 🍻🍻🍻🍻❤️❤️
The half moon in bleeding putney on 23:45 - Feb 2 with 2583 viewsBlackCrowe

It's still a great venue, was there a couple of weeks ago. Since lockdown i'm discovering/rediscovering the amazing small venues London has... Went to the 100 Club on Friday to see Nine Below Zero....exceptional night, with a hangover to match the next morning. 4-0 at HQ fixed that though.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The half moon in bleeding putney on 23:48 - Feb 2 with 2578 viewsqueensparker

I’m going to see a Smiths tribute band of all things there next week as my dyed in the wool raver mate has belatedly discovered depressing 80s indie jangle in his late 40s and bought a bunch of us tickets.

So starved of fun in the last two years I can’t bloody wait
The half moon in bleeding putney on 23:53 - Feb 2 with 2567 viewsHayesender

The half moon in bleeding putney on 23:48 - Feb 2 by queensparker

I’m going to see a Smiths tribute band of all things there next week as my dyed in the wool raver mate has belatedly discovered depressing 80s indie jangle in his late 40s and bought a bunch of us tickets.

So starved of fun in the last two years I can’t bloody wait

If that's the Smyths they are bloody brilliant

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The half moon in bleeding putney on 01:02 - Feb 3 with 2488 viewsBoston

You'll find Der Schmied's have a lot of fans on Luftwaffeforwords.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The half moon in bleeding putney on 08:11 - Feb 3 with 2289 viewsstevec

Excellent venue, last there in Jan 20, saw a band called malice, terrible name, excellent Jam tribute band.

When I say excellent venue, think I caught Covid there before Covid had officially hit these shores. Something like 250-300 people rammed in a large black box, singing shoulder to shoulder and not a window or air vent in sight, had a very rough February though would probably do it all again.
The half moon in bleeding putney on 13:01 - Feb 3 with 2013 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Good venue.

My favourite tiny one is the 'Black Heart' Camden. Not a place for those with tinnitus and the beer is marvellous.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The half moon in bleeding putney on 13:26 - Feb 3 with 1962 viewsstowmarketrange

I was going to see James Walsh from Starsailor at the Half Moon on Monday,but I didn’t a chance to get down there.
Also a shout for the Waterfront in Norwich for good small venues.
The half moon in bleeding putney on 18:10 - Feb 5 with 1686 viewsPeterHucker

A story that's a bit more cheerful to break up the post-FA Cup knockout moping......

I'm not in the band now because I left when I moved out of London but I was a founder member of The Smyths.
Simon (bassplayer) and me played in bands together for years and on the tube home from a Morrissey show at Brixton Academy in 2002 we decided to form The Smyths. Played our first gigs in 2003 and since I left the lineup has remained exactly the same. One of the longest serving tribute bands on the circuit.

One of our early gigs was at Half Moon in Putney in early 2004.
I'd heard that Kevin Gallen was a bit of a Smiths fan so I gave a flyer to QPR community bloke Andy Evans and asked him to pass it on to Kevin.
To my surprise he actually turned up with his brother (I think Joe not Steve).
After the gig I had quite a long chat with the man with the Magic Hat. He was a little bit drunk and at one point I asked him about training the next day (it was a Sunday night) and he told me it was non-alcoholic beer! Hmmm.
I wanted to ask him lots of questions about QPR and the promotion challenge (this was during the season that we ended up going up at Hillsborough)
He kept changing the subject away from QPR and wanting to talk music.
I remember he got suddenly very serious when I asked if he thought we were going to get promoted. He was absolutely convinced that we would and talked very well about how losing the playoffs had hurt them all and all the players just knew that they had to work a bit harder this year to make sure they got automatic promotion. It turned out he was right.

He was QPR captain at the time and I tried to make the other bandmembers understand just how much of a big deal it was that he'd come to our gig. Simon and Graham (singer) are both massive Arsenal fans so I told them that it was like Patrick Vieira had come to watch us.
Following on from that we had actual ex members of The Smiths come to our gigs, we co-headlined gigs with the late great Frank Sidebottom and we met Smiths producer & QPR fan Stephen Street (what a lovely man he is by the way) , toured around Europe etc
Since I left they've just kept getting more successful, played Glastonbury many times, toured Australia, even been on Come Dine With Me FFS.

But for me nothing was ever going to top that night in the Half Moon looking up from my guitar to see 2 Gallen brothers in the crowd with their arms around each others shoulders belting out the words "and if a double decker bus crashes into us"
Login to get fewer ads

The half moon in bleeding putney on 19:16 - Feb 5 with 1575 viewsPunteR

The half moon in bleeding putney on 18:10 - Feb 5 by PeterHucker

A story that's a bit more cheerful to break up the post-FA Cup knockout moping......

I'm not in the band now because I left when I moved out of London but I was a founder member of The Smyths.
Simon (bassplayer) and me played in bands together for years and on the tube home from a Morrissey show at Brixton Academy in 2002 we decided to form The Smyths. Played our first gigs in 2003 and since I left the lineup has remained exactly the same. One of the longest serving tribute bands on the circuit.

I'd heard that Kevin Gallen was a bit of a Smiths fan so I gave a flyer to QPR community bloke Andy Evans and asked him to pass it on to Kevin.
After the gig I had quite a long chat with the man with the Magic Hat. He was a little bit drunk and at one point I asked him about training the next day (it was a Sunday night) and he told me it was non-alcoholic beer! Hmmm.
I wanted to ask him lots of questions about QPR and the promotion challenge (this was during the season that we ended up going up at Hillsborough)
I remember he got suddenly very serious when I asked if he thought we were going to get promoted. He was absolutely convinced that we would and talked very well about how losing the playoffs had hurt them all and all the players just knew that they had to work a bit harder this year to make sure they got automatic promotion. It turned out he was right.

He was QPR captain at the time and I tried to make the other bandmembers understand just how much of a big deal it was that he'd come to our gig. Simon and Graham (singer) are both massive Arsenal fans so I told them that it was like Patrick Vieira had come to watch us.
Following on from that we had actual ex members of The Smiths come to our gigs, we co-headlined gigs with the late great Frank Sidebottom and we met Smiths producer & QPR fan Stephen Street (what a lovely man he is by the way) , toured around Europe etc
Since I left they've just kept getting more successful, played Glastonbury many times, toured Australia, even been on Come Dine With Me FFS.

But for me nothing was ever going to top that night in the Half Moon looking up from my guitar to see 2 Gallen brothers in the crowd with their arms around each others shoulders belting out the words "and if a double decker bus crashes into us"

Great story , nice one mate.

I havnt been to the Half moon for years but the venue used to be my dads go to place to see live music. Ive got a bit of a soft spot for that pub, even though i got kicked out of there once.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 19:18]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The half moon in bleeding putney on 20:29 - Feb 5 with 1472 viewsBlackCrowe

Also in the past few months been to Nells in W Kensington to see Nick Lowe and to the Blues Kitchen in Brixton to see some amazing session musicians performing Led Zep IV on it's anniversary. All flipping sensational in their own way.

Every overseas person i know living over here waxes about our live scene. Blessed with music in London, we are.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 21:01]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The half moon in bleeding putney on 21:19 - Feb 5 with 1410 viewsBoston

The half moon in bleeding putney on 20:29 - Feb 5 by BlackCrowe

Also in the past few months been to Nells in W Kensington to see Nick Lowe and to the Blues Kitchen in Brixton to see some amazing session musicians performing Led Zep IV on it's anniversary. All flipping sensational in their own way.

Every overseas person i know living over here waxes about our live scene. Blessed with music in London, we are.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 21:01]

Blimey, they think it's good now, tell 'em what it was like in the 70/80's, Sounds or NME had a list of gigs for that week that would take a half an hour to read!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The half moon in bleeding putney on 22:39 - Feb 5 with 1355 viewscolinallcars

Yes, I used to go from the late 60s onwards - lots of good bluesy bands and the redoubtable Young's Special when it was brewed in Wandsworth.
Into the 80s and the Balham Alligators and Danny Adler were really good.
A special mensh for Telephone Bill and the Smooth Operators and a band that broke up after one appearance - Le Quintette D'alcoholique.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 22:40]
The half moon in bleeding putney on 09:22 - Feb 6 with 1242 viewsthame_hoops

I only recently found out about this place, after my mum told me that her dad used to drink there (my grandad) and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I think I mentioned it on another post recently about Pubs. For the older fans, does anyone remember a singer called Ralph McTell? Apparently this was his local and he was really good friends with my grandad. Whenever he was touring the world, he would send my grandad a postcard c/o the Halfmoon Pub. My mum still has all these postcards, from cities all over the world, they are really cool. I took a photo of one and tweeted Ralph, but his account isn’t very active, I even sent it to an email on his website, but nobody got back to me, which I thought was a shame. Next time I am in town, I think I will drop in again.
The half moon in bleeding putney on 10:30 - Feb 6 with 1212 viewsqueensparker

The half moon in bleeding putney on 18:10 - Feb 5 by PeterHucker

Superb mate - looking forward to the gig on Thursday!
The half moon in bleeding putney on 11:45 - Feb 6 with 1159 viewsSonofpugwash

Nice to see the gig is still going.
Went to see Free there,only their second gig on the road after the Blue Horizon Club Battersea.Bunch of 16/17 year olds they were clad in fur coats,hippy girlfriends.Loads of people turning up at the door thinking it was a "free" night.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

The half moon in bleeding putney on 21:26 - Feb 6 with 1037 viewswood_hoop

Just catching up with the board threads and its amazing some of the memories that are brought back, used to go Half Moon fifty years ago, fcuck knows who I see there was so stoned most of the time ,lucky if I remembered my name.

The Greyhound in Fulham Palace Rd was another I frequented, pften used to get a lift to King Sounds in Kings Cross if they where playing another gig there after after midnight.

Happy days indeed.....
The half moon in bleeding putney on 23:37 - Feb 10 with 816 viewsqueensparker

Just bumping this after seeing The Smyths at the said Half Moon - fair play PeterHucker they were fkin brilliant. If you still see your old bandmates pass on my regards what a band. Not easy to do The Smiths well and they really pull it off. Full of 14 year old angst
The half moon in bleeding putney on 23:48 - Feb 10 with 806 viewsPeterHucker

The half moon in bleeding putney on 23:37 - Feb 10 by queensparker

Just bumping this after seeing The Smyths at the said Half Moon - fair play PeterHucker they were fkin brilliant. If you still see your old bandmates pass on my regards what a band. Not easy to do The Smiths well and they really pull it off. Full of 14 year old angst

I will pass that on, cheers!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024