Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Always be closing - Preview 13:17 - Sep 2 with 3320 viewsNorthernr

Early train to Swansea today so early preview-ish - here's our typically grumpy transfer window assessment.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58466
Always be closing - Preview on 13:36 - Sep 2 with 3212 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Great stuff as always and yes the money flying around the PL while regular families are struggling is atrocious .Not sure how those clubs expect their fans to keep coming when food,fuel and costs increase but TV money is all thats required.
QPR kept our stars so that in itself is a bonus so hopefully we can win 3 times in a week now that would be magic.
Always be closing - Preview on 14:09 - Sep 2 with 3091 viewsaston_hoop

Always be closing - Preview on 13:36 - Sep 2 by CLAREMAN1995

Great stuff as always and yes the money flying around the PL while regular families are struggling is atrocious .Not sure how those clubs expect their fans to keep coming when food,fuel and costs increase but TV money is all thats required.
QPR kept our stars so that in itself is a bonus so hopefully we can win 3 times in a week now that would be magic.

Even the money flying around the PL is mad compared to our level

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Always be closing - Preview on 14:11 - Sep 2 with 3082 viewsNorthernr

Always be closing - Preview on 14:09 - Sep 2 by aston_hoop

Even the money flying around the PL is mad compared to our level

Like I say, that Championship clubs buying Championship players for money from each other is decimated post pandemic. It barely exists at all. Where it does, it's almost all for £1m or less.
Always be closing - Preview on 14:40 - Sep 2 with 2982 viewsPhildo

I think the top six lost combined about half a billion due to covid - which is not much compared to their revenue- with wages perhaps it cost them one signing. For everyone else much much tougher.
Always be closing - Preview on 15:01 - Sep 2 with 2888 viewsqprd

A lot of criticism of Forest (and rightfully so), but if you look at the size of our squad on Wikipedia, ours is actually larger than theirs.

It really begs the question, what the hell is Les Ferdinand doing other than sleeping at the wheel.

Changing mangers does lead to mass turnover of players, so its unsurprising that we have a bloated squad- but just look at the last match, where the following senior players (ie, close to 100 appearances) didnt even make the subs bench: Shodipo, Hamalainen, Bonne and Thomas (or maybe he's injured). Add in all the injured players: Amos, Clarke-Salter and Richards. And then, to top that off, we also added the Villa midfielder to the mix.

We obviously need to have some buffer for injuries, but you can almost field an entire XI of senior pros who won't make the playing squad on any given matchday. That's pretty shocking mismanagement for a team that allegedly is trying to run a sustainable model.

Players like Shodipo, Thomas, etc should've been moved on, either on loan or on a permanent to free up wages and reduce the squad size. There clearly is a market for guys like Shodipo and Masterson on loan, so I struggle to understand why we've kept them on to rot in the reserves.

Its also pretty sad that we've not managed to send more of our young players out on loan- Bettache, Gubbins, Drewe, Mahoney, Walsh, etc will also play meaningless U21 football. Is there no appetite for any of these players in League 2? With teams allowed 5 subs, its much more likely that they'd see some playing time.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 15:02]
Always be closing - Preview on 15:27 - Sep 2 with 2798 viewsNorthernr

Always be closing - Preview on 15:01 - Sep 2 by qprd

A lot of criticism of Forest (and rightfully so), but if you look at the size of our squad on Wikipedia, ours is actually larger than theirs.

It really begs the question, what the hell is Les Ferdinand doing other than sleeping at the wheel.

Changing mangers does lead to mass turnover of players, so its unsurprising that we have a bloated squad- but just look at the last match, where the following senior players (ie, close to 100 appearances) didnt even make the subs bench: Shodipo, Hamalainen, Bonne and Thomas (or maybe he's injured). Add in all the injured players: Amos, Clarke-Salter and Richards. And then, to top that off, we also added the Villa midfielder to the mix.

We obviously need to have some buffer for injuries, but you can almost field an entire XI of senior pros who won't make the playing squad on any given matchday. That's pretty shocking mismanagement for a team that allegedly is trying to run a sustainable model.

Players like Shodipo, Thomas, etc should've been moved on, either on loan or on a permanent to free up wages and reduce the squad size. There clearly is a market for guys like Shodipo and Masterson on loan, so I struggle to understand why we've kept them on to rot in the reserves.

Its also pretty sad that we've not managed to send more of our young players out on loan- Bettache, Gubbins, Drewe, Mahoney, Walsh, etc will also play meaningless U21 football. Is there no appetite for any of these players in League 2? With teams allowed 5 subs, its much more likely that they'd see some playing time.

Not much to disagree with there mate. There are some players who’ve been kept here, contracts renewed, on the off chance, well into their 20s, long after they’ve shown they’re not going to be good enough. Hall was v quick to say they’ve graduated 30 players to the first team when I interviewed him - great line, big number, and of course some Eze and Chair headlines. But dig into that 30 and the vast majority are like this.
Always be closing - Preview on 16:00 - Sep 2 with 2670 viewsRangersw12

Just a warning I've been to Swansea 3 times and seen us lose 4-0, 3-0 and 3-1 and I'm going tomorrow 😬
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 16:02]
Always be closing - Preview on 16:25 - Sep 2 with 2581 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I reckon that's a record broken for most swear words?
And quite right too. And well deserved.

On the subject of loans for some of our younger players, is the loan window closed for loans out to lower-league teams?

Wiki has our squad size as 30. Allowing for the fact that you need a certain amount of players around to keep up the quality of training, that does seem high by maybe four or five. In previous seasons we had loans out for fringe players. Can we expect the same, or is that it until January.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Always be closing - Preview on 17:08 - Sep 2 with 2441 viewsterryb

Always be closing - Preview on 16:25 - Sep 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I reckon that's a record broken for most swear words?
And quite right too. And well deserved.

On the subject of loans for some of our younger players, is the loan window closed for loans out to lower-league teams?

Wiki has our squad size as 30. Allowing for the fact that you need a certain amount of players around to keep up the quality of training, that does seem high by maybe four or five. In previous seasons we had loans out for fringe players. Can we expect the same, or is that it until January.

I think you may be able to still loan out players to the National League & below, but I'm almost sure that it is closed for EFL clubs to sign players.

I doubt that the club would have stopped loan deals for Bettache and others if there had been any genuine interest in them. Clive stated that we couldn't afford the loan fee for Archer (quite rightly), but perhaps we are asking too much for our players as well?
Always be closing - Preview on 20:36 - Sep 2 with 2037 viewsQPRMendoza

Great read as always Clive. I am not unhappy with the signing of Balogun. For me he brings a lot to the club. Much like Ryan Nelsen did.
Always be closing - Preview on 21:41 - Sep 2 with 1889 viewsNorthernr

Always be closing - Preview on 20:36 - Sep 2 by QPRMendoza

Great read as always Clive. I am not unhappy with the signing of Balogun. For me he brings a lot to the club. Much like Ryan Nelsen did.

It’s usually a good sign that I think it’s a bad signing. I thought it of Nelsen.
Always be closing - Preview on 22:05 - Sep 2 with 1838 viewsderbyhoop

Always be closing - Preview on 15:27 - Sep 2 by Northernr

Not much to disagree with there mate. There are some players who’ve been kept here, contracts renewed, on the off chance, well into their 20s, long after they’ve shown they’re not going to be good enough. Hall was v quick to say they’ve graduated 30 players to the first team when I interviewed him - great line, big number, and of course some Eze and Chair headlines. But dig into that 30 and the vast majority are like this.

If there was a downside to our transfer window it's that too many those we are trying to develop did NOT go out on loan. Gubbins, Drewe and 1bof the young keepers should be getting League experience. Not National League, either.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Always be closing - Preview on 22:07 - Sep 2 with 1828 viewsvanrrrr

Great read….

God I hope Dykes scores . Shut some people up , possibly.
Always be closing - Preview on 13:57 - Sep 3 with 1085 viewskensalriser

Always be closing - Preview on 15:01 - Sep 2 by qprd

Maybe the demand for those players on loan isn't as great as we think it should be. My suspicion is that players who have already been out on loan two, three times without making much progress aren't going to be at the top of shopping lists.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024