Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe Standing 11:13 - Nov 17 with 2517 viewsQPR1234

Good Morning,

I am currently in my final year at University and am working on my Dissertation which in part is about Safe Standing.

I wondered if anyone had any opinions/thoughts they might be able to share on the Safe Standing areas at Loftus Road?

Have they made any difference to the atmosphere?
Have people deliberately moved to be in/out of the Safe Standing areas?
Do the rails feel too high/too low?

Any other thoughts would be most welcome- Thank You.
Safe Standing on 11:20 - Nov 17 with 2489 viewsGaryBannister86

I wondered if anyone had any opinions/thoughts they might be able to share on the Safe Standing areas at Loftus Road?

Yes

In my view, yes, but not everyone agrees (hello DaveB!) and it is hard to tell as we have barely won a game / scored a goal down that end since they have been put in.

Yes, me and my son deliberately moved in from seats and much prefer it.

No - all works very well.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 11:21]
Safe Standing on 11:35 - Nov 17 with 2421 viewsJuzzie

I've been there three times (all last season);

Have they made any difference to the atmosphere? - I felt it improved things

Have people deliberately moved to be in/out of the Safe Standing areas? - I haven't but can't comment for others

Do the rails feel too high/too low? - no, just about right and had no negative impact on my 8 year old either.
Safe Standing on 11:57 - Nov 17 with 2359 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Use an online survey app!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Safe Standing on 01:01 - Nov 18 with 2116 viewsstainrods_elbow

What's your thesis about it?

I would start with critiquing the very idea of 'safe', which is a pappy and politically engineered pseudo-concept. Standing was always (mostly) safe - the only thing that stopped it being so was cageing fans in like animals. I want to bring back 'unsafe' standing, like that amazing f*ck off terrace down the side of The (old) Valley. It's a bit like when people start on about 'safe sex' - as if anything about sex is remotely safe.

I hate the modern world.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 1:01]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Safe Standing on 08:38 - Nov 18 with 2039 viewsThe_Beast1976

Safe Standing on 01:01 - Nov 18 by stainrods_elbow

I would start with critiquing the very idea of 'safe', which is a pappy and politically engineered pseudo-concept. Standing was always (mostly) safe - the only thing that stopped it being so was cageing fans in like animals. I want to bring back 'unsafe' standing, like that amazing f*ck off terrace down the side of The (old) Valley. It's a bit like when people start on about 'safe sex' - as if anything about sex is remotely safe.

I hate the modern world.

Ditto
Safe Standing on 09:40 - Nov 18 with 2002 viewsWatford_Ranger

Safe Standing on 01:01 - Nov 18 by stainrods_elbow

I hate the modern world.

Yeah Griffin Park and London Road were great when packed. We’d still lose but a more fun loss. Something to look grimly forward to in L1 perhaps if there are old terraces still in that league. Maybe we could have a small section in every ground where you’re crammed in, piss into a hole at half time and the police wade into you with truncheons for no apparent reason.

I like the LL standing but my dad doesn’t so go in there only occasionally. It feels loud when you’re in there but the acoustics of the Matrade Megadome as always are poor.

I did my thesis on some of the economics behind football. Was complete nonsense but I enjoyed it and scraped a 2.1.
Safe Standing on 10:25 - Nov 18 with 1961 viewsGaryBannister86

Safe Standing on 09:40 - Nov 18 by Watford_Ranger

Yeah Griffin Park and London Road were great when packed. We’d still lose but a more fun loss. Something to look grimly forward to in L1 perhaps if there are old terraces still in that league. Maybe we could have a small section in every ground where you’re crammed in, piss into a hole at half time and the police wade into you with truncheons for no apparent reason.

I like the LL standing but my dad doesn’t so go in there only occasionally. It feels loud when you’re in there but the acoustics of the Matrade Megadome as always are poor.

I did my thesis on some of the economics behind football. Was complete nonsense but I enjoyed it and scraped a 2.1.

I think people do have rose-tinted memories of the old terracing. Yes, you couldn't beat a packed terrace celebration (my favs - Reading away (Spencer), Brentford away (Bircham), but in some places the conditions and facilities were abysmal.

When I was a student I went to the Dell with a Villa mate when Villa were top of the league in the mid 90s under Big Fat Ron. Pay on the day, packed in and my god it was crushed. So dangerous.

There's no way in the modern world that could continue.

Safe standing is an excellent start, I'm sure they can find a way to get a little bit more of the old experience whilst still keeping it as safe.
Safe Standing on 11:25 - Nov 18 with 1921 viewsThe_Beast1976

Safe Standing on 10:25 - Nov 18 by GaryBannister86

I think people do have rose-tinted memories of the old terracing. Yes, you couldn't beat a packed terrace celebration (my favs - Reading away (Spencer), Brentford away (Bircham), but in some places the conditions and facilities were abysmal.

When I was a student I went to the Dell with a Villa mate when Villa were top of the league in the mid 90s under Big Fat Ron. Pay on the day, packed in and my god it was crushed. So dangerous.

Safe standing is an excellent start, I'm sure they can find a way to get a little bit more of the old experience whilst still keeping it as safe.

Life is full of danger. Bring back terraces
Login to get fewer ads

Safe Standing on 11:41 - Nov 18 with 1907 viewsPaddyhoops

It’s excellent apart from the my two neighbours who bring their six foot six mate to stand with them. Not ideal.
Safe Standing on 13:13 - Nov 18 with 1851 viewsNorthernr

Safe Standing on 11:25 - Nov 18 by The_Beast1976

Life is full of danger. Bring back terraces

As said above, it wasn't terraces that were dangerous, it was fences.

There's been some really good new grounds built in rugby league over the past 20 years with huge terraces - Warrington's runs the full length of the pitch down the side - but apparently if you put one in a football ground everybody will explode into a thousand pieces.

I'd have our terracing in every bit of the ground we could. Solves the leg room problem.
Safe Standing on 14:02 - Nov 18 with 1802 viewsthame_hoops

Safe Standing on 11:41 - Nov 18 by Paddyhoops

It’s excellent apart from the my two neighbours who bring their six foot six mate to stand with them. Not ideal.

Haha as someone who is 6’4’’ the people behind me kept making comments and it made me uncomfortable that I’d ruined their view. In the old days you could just move on or I’d stand at the back
Safe Standing on 14:52 - Nov 18 with 1760 viewsBoston

Safe Standing on 10:25 - Nov 18 by GaryBannister86

My recollection of the Dell was that is was always tight. The concourses were as narrow as Loftus Rd.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Safe Standing on 15:39 - Nov 18 with 1725 viewspaulhoop2

There are a load of terraces in l1 so will be good to sample them next season !

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Safe Standing on 17:37 - Nov 18 with 1675 viewsJuzzie

Fences were definitely the problem, not the terraces, but the FL got the opportunity they needed to go all-seater knowing there was going to be little opposition.

Get old style terraces back, no pay-on-the day so tickets have to be bought and terrace capacity can then be capped (no more Liverpool on Boxing Day in the 80’s, that was ‘fun’!

So… the Loft back to old style terracing and the paddock as rail seating?
Safe Standing on 22:35 - Nov 18 with 1571 viewsGloryHunter

Safe Standing on 13:13 - Nov 18 by Northernr

As said above, it wasn't terraces that were dangerous, it was fences.

There's been some really good new grounds built in rugby league over the past 20 years with huge terraces - Warrington's runs the full length of the pitch down the side - but apparently if you put one in a football ground everybody will explode into a thousand pieces.

I'd have our terracing in every bit of the ground we could. Solves the leg room problem.

There was also a common problem with bent turnstile operators. I went with a Spurs mate to see them play Liverpool the season John Barnes signed for them from Watford. There was massive interest in the match and you could pay at the turnstiles. We were in a paddock that was crushingly full. The crush seemed to come at us in waves - you'd get crushed and then there'd be a relief, and then it would come again. And there were still people pushing to get in from the back. I have never been so genuinely scared in a crowd. I'm a big bloke, and I was picked up off my feet. Two years later came Hillsborough. I think with numbered seats or numbered safe standing places that couldn't have happened.

[Edit] Sorry, should have read Juzzie's post (above) first.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 22:39]
Safe Standing on 09:21 - Nov 19 with 1480 viewslondonscottish

Yes. Where I used sit, the atmosphere was dead before. And the place could be half empty, especially on s a school night. Now it's much more raucous.

Yes. I got my seats in that area specifically because of the rumour that they were the most likely to be converted to standing.

Rails are just fine

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Safe Standing on 16:07 - Nov 20 with 1304 viewsQPR1234

Thanks for the comments everyone. Please keep them coming!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024