Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Tweets 06:33 - Feb 21 with 14298 viewsPinnerR

Tony Fernandes ‏@tonyfernandes 4h
It's a big few weeks for QPR. Time for Harry and the boys to stand up and be counted. As owners we have done all that was asked.
Tony Tweets on 19:56 - Feb 21 with 1563 viewsJigsore

Tony Tweets on 13:49 - Feb 21 by 08olesen

I think bringing back Warnock as a mediator between the two is the best plan. He always said he eventually wanted to do that role somewhere, why not now at QPR. I think the next couple of games are crucial, but Harry should be given the whole season to get us up or keep us here. The buck stops with him. This squad has had enough changes this season.

5 step plan

1. Get us up with the squad and manager we have now, easier said than done but we have the players and the manager so no excuses.

2. Hire Malkey and shift off the old planks who are out of contract.

3. Bring in young hungary players like Rhodes Ings and Hughes (very difficult). Wont break the bank and use Remy money.

4. Financially stabalise in prem

5. Allianz Areana tuesday night in 2018

If Carlsburg did football clubs......

Hungary players? resigning buzsaky is a bit much don't you think

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Tony Tweets on 20:04 - Feb 21 with 1553 viewsbarbicanranger

Tony Tweets on 19:36 - Feb 21 by YorkRanger

This view is too narrow Neil IMO. I agree the timing of the tweet may be unhelpful but he will be looking on undoubtedly hugely frustrated (like most of us) that the significant investment that has been made is not reaping the rewards it should (see Jeff's excellent post on another thread re the underwhelming football we are experiencing).

The buck may ultimately stop with TF but the responsibility of HR before that point is reached is significant and currently falling well short of where it should

I agree.

Something I wanted to post on this thread having read all the way through it and I think adds another perspective to this debate follows on nicely from your point York.

I remember a Warnock quote after getting us promoted saying that Flavio said to him in passing but in all seriousness "what about Hulse? you may have got us promoted but you wasted money on Hulse". That comment beggars belief when a) he got us promoted on a shoe string and b) he made some great signings at the right time - Mackie and then Walker on loan. Anyway, that's beside the point - my point is it shows you how much an owner can and is entitled to assess each and every signing a manager makes.

I have heard similar stories at other clubs where the owners are tight in assessing every singing a manager makes. And I guess this post goes in favour of Tony but he does give his managers space to work in. Tony wanted to sign young hungry players with something to prove but he clearly acquiesced with Redknapp and let him sign older players, he gave his manager scope to operate in a do what he wanted and I applaud him for that.

But with that has to go success and the signings have to work out and I know there have been some successes such as Dunne, but the others such as Niko, who was clearly signed to be our stellar player hasn't. So the point is; one of the key assessments of the success of a manager has to be his signings and if you give him freedom, as he asks for, then the manager has to be prepared to stand by his decisions if those signings don't work out. Not defer it up to the owner. Yes there is a wider strategy point with Fernandes that I agree with Neil but I don't think you can say the buck stops with him Neil (sorry mate).
[Post edited 21 Feb 2014 20:09]
Tony Tweets on 20:06 - Feb 21 with 1546 viewsDoughnut

High time for Arry to Pull his finger out and get this lot into gear!!! TF's done his part, will Honest-Arry?????????
Tony Tweets on 20:44 - Feb 21 with 1483 viewsPunteR

I havnt got a problem with his tweet,its fair enough. I'd like to think he has told this to Rednapp face to face though. Would seem a bit half arsed if he hasn't.
It also gives the impression that TF is not sorting anything out for next season,which is a worry. Football business doesn't stop mid February.

Nice to see a couple of posters using this thread to slate Taraabt fans.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Tony Tweets on 21:09 - Feb 21 with 1434 viewsFDC

Tony Tweets on 19:34 - Feb 21 by barbicanranger

this is where it all went wrong. should have taken our medicine gone down. come back stronger following season with warnock and tony still sat with his powder dry.

Definitely. The irony of Tony's Premiership-now-at-all-costs approach each and every season that he's been here is that had he allowed Warnock to fail and rebuild we would have had the benefit of three seasons worth of planning and shaping of the squad, and, with less results-now-or-else pressure no doubt money would have been spent far, far more wisely. Players that have come and gone would presumably have had more time to bed in and benefit from coaching. We would generally be in a much better position to take on the premiership as a result.

Benefit of hind-sight in some ways of course, but on the other hand QPR as a club has been managed like a circus since Briatore was here, and to be honest TF has hardly brought stability and wisdom.
Tony Tweets on 22:57 - Feb 21 with 1335 viewsAntti_Heinola

Tony Tweets on 13:37 - Feb 21 by WeaverQPR

Who exactly at the club is our Gary Monk/Tim Sherwood?

Oh God, it's Marc Bir... oh.

Bare bones.

Tony Tweets on 22:58 - Feb 21 with 1335 viewsAntti_Heinola

Tony Tweets on 13:52 - Feb 21 by WeaverQPR

Not sure Warnock would come back and work for TF.

Trust me, he would.

Bare bones.

Tony Tweets on 23:01 - Feb 21 with 1329 viewsAntti_Heinola

Tony Tweets on 14:24 - Feb 21 by daveB

Francis did this role before and under his watch we spent the budget on the likes of Sammy Koejoe and loan players whilst shutting the academy down, great player and top manager 20 years ago and as a coach with the kids he's a good shout but no thank you to a director of football role

dave, please stop trotting out this stuff. Koejoe cost about £300k and was not a terrible player - not a good signing, but worth a go. Francis had no money at all, the club was f***ed, and it was nothing to do with him. He came in a long time after Wright's cash had been all used up. I don;t think he was out trying to convince the club to get rid of the academy. He was trying to do what was best under horrendous constraints. Your constant digs at him are ill-informed and bang out of order.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Tony Tweets on 23:13 - Feb 21 with 1308 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 12:04 - Feb 21 by THEBUSH

Whether you like Harry Redknapp or not, he's one of the most experienced football people around, if he can't give advice to TF, who can ?

As far as I can see, HR is the football manager of QPR, not only the first team coach !!
[Post edited 21 Feb 2014 12:05]

I guess that's where we have a different view on what a football club needs — for me a club needs more than just a football manager to run the football operations of an entire club — something that Redknapp has shown little to no interest in doing throughout his career — so none of the current predicament we find ourselves in, in terms of squad re-shaping comes as a surprise.

I didn't think Redknapp was the right appointment for a club like QPR in the first place — but he's an excellent manager and there's no doubt about that. He's experienced and knows what he's doing.

But I do think we are in a situation where a lot of foundations need to be laid and laid properly — a visionary is needed, but there's not too many of them around. Just look at Sir Alex Ferguson as a prime example of someone who ran an entire club from top to bottom, but when the time was right, as it evolved and grew, he delegated that responsibility to others who were capable so he could then oversee and focus more time and energy on first-team matters. But the philosophy and attention to detail was planted early and followed through.
Tony Tweets on 23:15 - Feb 21 with 1305 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 12:22 - Feb 21 by adhoc_qpr

I agree with this approach.

Fans always want managers to plan for the future, but most managers these days are lucky to last 2 seasons - so it's not surprising that they aren't too bothered about thinking about the medium/long term vs short term measures.

Absolutely — the average tenure for a manager in this country is very low. But someone therefore within the club needs to have a handle on the football operations with the necessary experience and who isn't going to be in a position where it's a revolving door every season or every other season.

You don't want to leave that solely to a person who is regularly going to be replaced. It's just asking for trouble.
Tony Tweets on 23:17 - Feb 21 with 1304 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 12:25 - Feb 21 by Antti_Heinola

Can't agree Neil, sorry.

People keep blaming Tony for sanctioning signings. They - particularly you - also say 'he knows nothing about football'. I'm not really sure what that means exactly, and I'm not sure why the average fan thinks he knows more about football than TF, unless he knows TF quite well - plus, in my experience, and as any forum proves, most fans haven't got the first clue about the game overall (i include myself in this).

So then the argument comes in - 'well, we need a football man running things, because TF doesn't understand football.' OK, so are we demanding a sporting director? And if we get a sporting director, how will that sit with Harry? And what iof the fabled sporting director gets it wrong too? Then what? A manager to manage him as he manages the manager?

If not, and as TF 'knows nothing about football' what is he supposed to do when his resident expert, the man with 50 years in the game, says he needs these players and bleats in the press when he doesn't get them? What is he supposed to do when Hughes wants to build his side? People slag off Bosingwa, but he had been superb for Chelsea in the Champions league only 2 months before we signed him. How is that TF's fault?

I'm not saying he's blameless, but there's a hell of a lot of guff spoken about him, what he knows, what he doesn't know. 'He doesn't know anything - he should trust football people; Don't trust football people! Use your own judgement!'

I've never said he knows "nothing" about football, I've just said he doesn't know enough. He will have learned a lot from his experiences, but he's jumped right in at the deep end, and it's far from being enough in my opinion.

Remember the post I made from here?
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/100951/1212205/ok-

That's why — it's a bigger picture of how a football club could and should be run, and in the past, we did many of those things better than we've done now, and we did a lot of those things when we were absolutely strapped for cash too. It can be done, skills pay the bills.

Who cares about Harry and what sits well with him? The football club has to look after itself first and find and know its identity — then everything else will take care of itself properly and hopefully you wouldn't end up in a situation where something doesn't sit well with someone. If that happens, then you've not recruited properly enough in terms of the philsophy and structure you want at the club.

The club needs to work on its core identity. I've seen Fernandes saying lots of things — such as an investment in youth and young and hungry players, that if it takes a few years to rebuild, etc, etc. It's all talk, if that were true, we wouldn't have 16-18 players 29-30 years and over right now.

I just find it all smoke and mirrors and a lot of hot air. The small gains often seem fractured, or even at odds with the little structure that's in place — Dellatore signing and Redknapp knowing next to nothing about him — the PR alone surrounding that was a disaster. Would you even let a manager do that if you ran your club properly?

You've kinda hit the nail on the head and answered some of your own questions with those problems. Fernandes identified Rednapp — he should know what Redknapp was like and what kind of man he was in for and what he was going to get from it. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't care so long as we get back to the Premier League?

They've had various little games played out publicly in the media — Redknapp is the master of it and more experienced, but Fernandes holds the keys at the end of the day — he can get rid of him if he wants — but he's going to have to pay for it — and probably an awful lot as well seeing as I doubt Redknapp came cheap in the first place.
Tony Tweets on 23:18 - Feb 21 with 1303 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 12:44 - Feb 21 by London_Pride

Agree 100% with Neil (although not prepared to marry him).

Tony's BIG mstake has ben to appoint a CEO who knows nothng about football Phil Beard and have no one on the Board to challenge Warnock, Hughes or Redknapp, all of whom have (understandably) only ever cared about short term. Hnece all the loan playrs and old players. There's no one at Loftus Road who is thinking beyond the current season.

It's pretty much this in terms of a CEO — we've got good businessmen in there who are skilled in other walks of life, but not football. For me, this shows, it's as clear as night and day.

It's nothing personal for me — football and QPR come first. I want the best.

Shame about the no-go with the marriage proposal. One's not too bad mind. :D
Tony Tweets on 23:19 - Feb 21 with 1302 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 13:27 - Feb 21 by daveB

I can see what Neil is saying but I'm not sure a football person is always the answer, we've had those running the club before in Berlin, Francis and paladini and it was all about the short term under those anyway Possibly the best run clubs are run by what you would call non football peopler such as at Southampton, Swansea and West Brom. Whether we like it or not football is a short term game, all the best plans in the world mean nothing if your star player you've spent years bringing through breaks his leg or buggers off to another club.

Personally I think the main changes we should make is getting more QPR people involved with the club to give us a sense of identity and celebrate our history make the club more than just somehwere that pays well. I'd be pushing to give players in their 30's like Hill, Derry etc the support to take coaching badges and even pay for former players to do them so they can come and work for the club and develop into top coaches.

Yeah you've perhaps described it better than I. More people involved who understand football and the club — that's essentially what I'm saying, so pretty much agree with you.
Tony Tweets on 23:19 - Feb 21 with 1302 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 13:37 - Feb 21 by WeaverQPR

Who exactly at the club is our Gary Monk/Tim Sherwood?

I don't know, but the longer this goes on, the harder it will be for us to find that kind of person.
Tony Tweets on 23:21 - Feb 21 with 1300 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 13:49 - Feb 21 by Hunterhoop

I don't actually agree completely with Neil here.

I absolutely agree that tweeting is no way to communicate anything important, certainly not a message to your direct report and the wider team you lead. That's crass. It's unnecessary public. So what if some numpties are badgering him on twitter, ignore it. He's a busy man, it shouldn't be hard!

Nevertheless, the content and tone of the message is spot on (albeit it should have been delivered personally to HR).

TF has backed HR far more than many would and far more than he should. He made it very clear the type of players (note, not the specific players) he wanted to see HR bring in. However, with a few exceptions, HR has simply not done this. He has done his own thing. Yes, TF has not let HR spend loads of dosh on buying players, but there salaries and are an increase to our costs. TF has even let him loan in 8 players. This loan figures EXCLUDES Hughes and Benayoun who are on 6 month perm deals (and at the back end of their careers).

TF gave him £10m in the summer to buy players. When 'Arry has wanted to bring in loan after loan, TF has said yes. When Arry has wanted to bring in more coaches to support his back room team (which is pretty bloody large), TF has said yes. When HR wanted experience over youth and hunger, TF conceded. When 'Arry didn't want to take Adel back, TF agree to loan him out again.

He has done all that was asked apart from give HR the keys to the kingdom to buy players from other clubs for whatever he wants, which would have been madness to do in our circumstancess.

Given the manner of performances in recent weeks, coupled with the obvious situation we find ourselves in where HR doesn't know his best system or team, despite all the players (signed and loaned) he's brought in, and given that we're slipping down the top 6 at prtesent, I don't think it's unreasonable for TF to demand HR and the boys step up.

Frankly it's completely right that he lays that challenge at HR's feet. I know HR is as keen to embrace accountability as he is a full tax audit, but he does need to take responsibility and be held accountable. It's his job to manage the team. It's what he's paid handsomely for and it's only right that his boss challenges him to improve things.

I think we agree on most of it really — was in a rush earlier to responding rather quickly before needing to head out.

I do not agree that Fernandes hasn't let Redknapp spend loads of dosh — £10m is insane? What other club in the Championship is splashing out that and then some on wages? It's been a massive overkill (and a nice luxury for us to have) and once again we've not really seen value for money.

I think the amount of investment and craziness in the market by us over the last few years or so has really altered our perspective on these kind of things.

Fernandes has also played a role in some of the signings since he's been here as well, but for whatever reason, a lot of the time the manager's are taking sole blame (and that's not to say they're not blameless in some of this, they are)... but it's as shared responsibility and Fernandes can always say no and not sign on the dotted line. But there you have it in a nutshell, the lack of experience, the lack of knowledge, perhaps also there is an ego there in terms of image and acquiring targets to being worried about fan opinion of him...all these things can lead a man to doing something he shouldn't — and he's done a lot of that since he's been here.

Also, I've not mentioned anything about the situation with Redknapp. Of course he needs a kick up the arse and of course he should be getting more out of the squad. It's stating the obvious.
Tony Tweets on 23:22 - Feb 21 with 1297 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 16:20 - Feb 21 by stansleftfoot

Clint Hill, Richard Dunne, Gary O'Neil are the Harry Redknapps of the next generation. I don't agree with Neil, Football is all about opinion, some peoples opinion carry, in spite, of never getting results, Harry Redknapp runs the football club, not TF/PB/AB, our performances are down to Harry and the Players, TF pays the bills. There are very few real professionals in Football, they are limited to doctors, physio's, lawyers, most others are licensed by trade organisations, ref's, coaches. Their technical skills are limited and are based on theory, or opinion. Most of these pro's are unsuccessful in their chosen jobs, some win competitions, most never do. Good opinions win matches.
Tony Fernandes told us he would communicate by Tweet, and he's doing that. If it acts as a reminder to Harry Redknapp to step up, all well and good. It is PR! Talking to the Public!
If hidden somewhere in the tweet is a verbal warning of the sack, that's for Harry Redknapp to recognise and deal with.
Harry Redknapp is at the tiller here, why should anybody else be taking the blame, he bought Phillips and Austin, he failed with Hooper, he stated he wanted premiership experience to push for safety or promotion. Results have gone his way from Sheffield Wednesday onwards until he's come across better prepared, fitter, younger, more commited sides, 1.2 Points per game against the top 11, 2.53 ppg against the bottom 12.
Tony tweets are a good thing, there is no hidden agenda, Harry Redknapp and his hand picked squad's season will be measured against the next 16 games!
The idiom in use here is simple, it declares that time is running out, Harry and the players have had support from the businessmen behind the Club and they now have an opportunity to have their performance measured. I know that's my opinion, it's Kranjcar's and many other's, I would hope it's most supporters otherwise they have completely missed something.
Some might dislike the way it's delivered but it's now a fact that's totally correct.
Harry should be good enough, the fixture list gives QPR a slight advantage, we play two of our nearest competitors, the board have given Harry Redknapp (on his request) one of Englands great young talents until the season ends. Opinion is one thing, Results over the length of the season are true measure of Football, it won't be long now!
Tony Fernandes is showing that he recognises that he shares exactly the same opinion that I do! CoyRrrrrs!

Absolutely fair play mate — you're entitled to your opinion and point of view. I don't necessarily agree with that point of view, I think there is a bigger picture in play and often the decisions, direction and leadership from the top can have a massive impact right the way through any club.

But you're certainly right, we'll know one way of another soon and over the next 6-18 months, we'll really find out.
Tony Tweets on 23:24 - Feb 21 with 1296 viewsNeil_SI

Tony Tweets on 16:24 - Feb 21 by wombat

the boards put here money where there mouths are from day one
why shouldn't they ramp the pressure on esp with us being in a pretty false postion all season so far . and now starting to fall away a bit I the last few matches.

Tf wants promotion this seson we have 14 players out of contract come june
stay in the chamopionship harry goes we rebuild hopefully with younger players few old heads and give it a go with the hope some of the championship players are good enough to step up to the prem

go up this seaso 14 players out of contract getid rebuild properly fo the prem with younger better playerswho will be hopefully good enough to keep us there

There's no doubt about that — they've put in a load of money that's fair to say and spent wildly. It's only natural they're concerned about not seeing a return on their investment.

But they've wasted a lot of that money themselves because they've been so stupid and naive.

If we had only spent loads of money on a training ground, youth infrastructure and the scouting set-up, etc... then I'd be over the moon. Still waiting on many of those things to come to fruition of course, but those are the most important things for me, way more than the current squad, current manager or even current division.
Tony Tweets on 02:04 - Feb 22 with 1205 viewsHooparoo

I think the performance and reaction of the players to TF's "message" will be very informative. We might see a reaction in support of Harry which will tell us what the players think. If not, I think it may be goodbye Harry soon.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Tony Tweets on 08:17 - Feb 22 with 1146 viewsPommyhoop

Where we are now obviously starts with the way Tango and Cash left us with zero time to prepare for the Prem. Panic buys ensued and weve been panicking ever since.
My List of blame /culpability for where we are ( I mean if we fail to go up)
1. Hughes
2. Redknapp
3. Warnock
4.Fernandes

I cant see how Tony can be blamed where he has done all that is asked from a 'dream' foreign billionaire owner.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Tony Tweets on 08:17 - Feb 22 with 1146 viewsPunteR

Agree with Neil 100%.
My previous post was about that isolated tweet,but its the bigger picture and Neil hit the nail on the head.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Tony Tweets on 10:05 - Feb 22 with 1097 viewswood_hoop

Tony Tweets on 12:18 - Feb 21 by WeaverQPR

But Redknapps got an agenda he is the manager, of course he wants more players bigger budget etc etc. You need someone there to say 'No Harry'.
Theres more to backing a manager then just letting him sign everyman and his dog.
HR done a very good job, January transfer window and last 2 games all look abit messy.

Never quite understood why a manager has to have a bottomless pit of money and scores of players to be able to succeed...

In the real world I like many other managers have the responsibilty to my Directors to run my department successfully and keep them financially viable, maybe I am fortunate but my MD gives me a pretty free hand, as my expertise in my field is far greater than his, but that does not mean he would let me 'pull his pants down' without a massive fallout, namely my job is as much on the line as many other managers, maybe not so quite shortermism as a football manager but then the compensation packages don't get any where near theirs either.

Everthing in my department is under my control, hiring, firing, training etc, from the lowest to the highest skilled,its my job to ensure that the skill levels and performance are maintained to a high level and a good programme in place to ensure that improvements are a continous feature.

HR is in control of his department, he should have things in place when things go 'tits up', he has not had to work on limited financil backing, only within reason it seems to me, getting fed up of hearing how great a job he has done but how he was handicapped by what the previous incumbent had left him, good managers turn things around, its why they are there, but do so in a way that leaves a legacy of continous improvements, all I can see that HR has done is paper over a few cracks, been extremly lucky so far, but the wheels are now really wobbling and it looks like his 'sticking plaster' style of management is being to turn round and bite him on the ars*.
Tony Tweets on 10:20 - Feb 22 with 1084 viewsPommyhoop

Tony Tweets on 10:05 - Feb 22 by wood_hoop

Never quite understood why a manager has to have a bottomless pit of money and scores of players to be able to succeed...

In the real world I like many other managers have the responsibilty to my Directors to run my department successfully and keep them financially viable, maybe I am fortunate but my MD gives me a pretty free hand, as my expertise in my field is far greater than his, but that does not mean he would let me 'pull his pants down' without a massive fallout, namely my job is as much on the line as many other managers, maybe not so quite shortermism as a football manager but then the compensation packages don't get any where near theirs either.

Everthing in my department is under my control, hiring, firing, training etc, from the lowest to the highest skilled,its my job to ensure that the skill levels and performance are maintained to a high level and a good programme in place to ensure that improvements are a continous feature.

HR is in control of his department, he should have things in place when things go 'tits up', he has not had to work on limited financil backing, only within reason it seems to me, getting fed up of hearing how great a job he has done but how he was handicapped by what the previous incumbent had left him, good managers turn things around, its why they are there, but do so in a way that leaves a legacy of continous improvements, all I can see that HR has done is paper over a few cracks, been extremly lucky so far, but the wheels are now really wobbling and it looks like his 'sticking plaster' style of management is being to turn round and bite him on the ars*.

Bang on,my friend..
I remember arguing in the early days of H's employment here that he isnt that great a manager more of a fella who loves to buy/aquire players to form a team .And I remember saying forget his 'wonder season' at Spuds ,our situation is more like Southampton.
The same people who ridiculed me back then are now blaming TF for aquiring a 'short term ' manager like Harry Redknapp..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024