Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Tweets 06:33 - Feb 21 with 14294 viewsPinnerR

Tony Fernandes ‏@tonyfernandes 4h
It's a big few weeks for QPR. Time for Harry and the boys to stand up and be counted. As owners we have done all that was asked.
Tony Tweets on 12:20 - Feb 21 with 1697 viewsdanehoop

Tony Tweets on 12:14 - Feb 21 by BrianMcCarthy

True, but my happiness might be compromised. I mean I've seen pictures an' all, and no offence, and each to their own... but....Christ, what have I started....

Wont long before me learned colleague the 'Droid will appear and demand death and destruction upon thee as an abomination before God.

Or perhaps not.

Never knowingly understood

Tony Tweets on 12:21 - Feb 21 with 1693 viewsdolcelatte

Tony Tweets on 11:09 - Feb 21 by QPR442

Hardly a thread goes by without someone mentioning Adel.

What does that tell you?

That people refuse to come to terms with the fact he doesn't want to play for us at this level?

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Tony Tweets on 12:22 - Feb 21 with 1689 viewsadhoc_qpr

Tony Tweets on 12:12 - Feb 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree with Neil and also think that there should be someone on the Board or representing the Board who understands football and can work for the club's long-term future, matching it against the short-term concerns and wishes of the manager, who is almost certainly required by pressure of fans, media and sometimes by the express terms of his contract to concentrate on instant results for the first team.

I agree with this approach.

Fans always want managers to plan for the future, but most managers these days are lucky to last 2 seasons - so it's not surprising that they aren't too bothered about thinking about the medium/long term vs short term measures.
Tony Tweets on 12:25 - Feb 21 with 1673 viewsAntti_Heinola

Tony Tweets on 11:48 - Feb 21 by Neil_SI

Totally.

Robert Green, Richard Dunne, Clint Hill, Andy Johnson, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermaine Jenas, Joey Barton, Aaron Hughes, Karl Henry, Luke Young, Bobby Zamora, Yossi Benayoun, Gary O'Neill, Brian Murphy, Kevin Doyle and Benoit Assou Ekotto (birthday next month) are all 30 or over.

That's sixteen players, which is astonishing, and then you've Niko Krancjar at 29 and 30 in the summer, along with Julio Cesar and Ji-Sung Park who are past 30 too. Eighteen or nineteen players overall, it's unbelievable.

Obviously a large chunk of them are also out of contract in the summer, so expect plenty of changes either way yet again. The risks associated with all of this whatever the division is high.

We badly need somebody on the shop floor running the show, who's around to look after QPR 24/7, day in, day out, and who understands football and most importantly, understands the club, from a boardroom/director level.

Can't agree Neil, sorry.

People keep blaming Tony for sanctioning signings. They - particularly you - also say 'he knows nothing about football'. I'm not really sure what that means exactly, and I'm not sure why the average fan thinks he knows more about football than TF, unless he knows TF quite well - plus, in my experience, and as any forum proves, most fans haven't got the first clue about the game overall (i include myself in this).

So then the argument comes in - 'well, we need a football man running things, because TF doesn't understand football.' OK, so are we demanding a sporting director? And if we get a sporting director, how will that sit with Harry? And what iof the fabled sporting director gets it wrong too? Then what? A manager to manage him as he manages the manager?

If not, and as TF 'knows nothing about football' what is he supposed to do when his resident expert, the man with 50 years in the game, says he needs these players and bleats in the press when he doesn't get them? What is he supposed to do when Hughes wants to build his side? People slag off Bosingwa, but he had been superb for Chelsea in the Champions league only 2 months before we signed him. How is that TF's fault?

I'm not saying he's blameless, but there's a hell of a lot of guff spoken about him, what he knows, what he doesn't know. 'He doesn't know anything - he should trust football people; Don't trust football people! Use your own judgement!'

Bare bones.

Tony Tweets on 12:26 - Feb 21 with 1672 viewsGruntfuttock

Nutshell!
Tony Tweets on 12:28 - Feb 21 with 1662 viewsAntti_Heinola

Tony Tweets on 12:08 - Feb 21 by baz_qpr

Dont think Warnock was premature, we had lost something like 8 on the bounce, the team were not responding he'd bought absolute shite in the previous window, threw out what got us up in the first place, and we were in the next transfer window.
When Hughes took over in the first game he put out the oldest average age team ever to play in the championship, so nothing has changed from Warnock to Hughes to Redknapp we've shifted some older players and brought in some more, we brought in some younger players they were no successful and shifted on again.

Balance has been wrong for 3-4 years prior to TF and with all three managers.

no, we should have stuck with warnock and taken relegation, if it came, and rebuilt more sensibly with a new manager in the summer. IMO.

Bare bones.

Tony Tweets on 12:29 - Feb 21 with 1659 viewsDaiHo0p

If you don't win the next two games you're sacked.

Fair enuff, I don't think Harry brings anything to the party.
Tony Tweets on 12:29 - Feb 21 with 1659 viewsWeaverQPR

Bit late to tell HR to buck his ideas up when you have allowed him to sign so many players,the squad is lopsided and lacking quality where it counts.
Somebody should of put a stop to some of the signings, esp the midfielders.
I think TF is weak and gets swayed too easily by HR,Media,Fans etc. On the field i don't see what direction he wants us to go in.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2014 12:33]

@WeavQPR

Login to get fewer ads

Tony Tweets on 12:44 - Feb 21 with 1606 viewsLondon_Pride

Agree 100% with Neil (although not prepared to marry him).

Tony's BIG mstake has ben to appoint a CEO who knows nothng about football Phil Beard and have no one on the Board to challenge Warnock, Hughes or Redknapp, all of whom have (understandably) only ever cared about short term. Hnece all the loan playrs and old players. There's no one at Loftus Road who is thinking beyond the current season.
Tony Tweets on 12:48 - Feb 21 with 1599 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tony Tweets on 12:18 - Feb 21 by TacticalR

Didn't he get away with a crucifixion?

He did, but Jesus copped it!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tony Tweets on 12:57 - Feb 21 with 1564 viewsJAPRANGERS

Tony Tweets on 12:08 - Feb 21 by danehoop

Brian,

I think you'll find that Neil being male is no longer an impediment for your proposal..

Ha ha. Thought that was Holloway's department??
Tony Tweets on 12:59 - Feb 21 with 1552 viewsJAPRANGERS

Tony Tweets on 12:29 - Feb 21 by DaiHo0p

If you don't win the next two games you're sacked.

Fair enuff, I don't think Harry brings anything to the party.

I'm sure TF is getting pissed off and worried. He's chucked in tons of cash and HR has brought dross to the club and he sees promotion just slipping away week after week.
Tony Tweets on 13:03 - Feb 21 with 1542 viewsR_from_afar

Tony Tweets on 07:42 - Feb 21 by hoopdog

Show some of this yoo c-- ---ts
[Post edited 21 Feb 2014 7:49]

LOL

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Tony Tweets on 13:03 - Feb 21 with 1542 viewsR_from_afar

Tony Tweets on 06:35 - Feb 21 by Watford_Ranger

As owners they've done considerably more than was asked. Fernandes is blameless for me if we don't go up.

+1

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Tony Tweets on 13:07 - Feb 21 with 1529 viewsWeaverQPR

Tony Tweets on 06:35 - Feb 21 by Watford_Ranger

As owners they've done considerably more than was asked. Fernandes is blameless for me if we don't go up.

It would also be the second consecutive year of failure under his stewardship. Nice bloke so we will let him off!
[Post edited 21 Feb 2014 13:08]

@WeavQPR

Tony Tweets on 13:08 - Feb 21 with 1527 viewsR_from_afar

Tony Tweets on 09:55 - Feb 21 by QPR442

oh s##t cue the conspiracy theorists!!!

'what did Tony mean by that....eerm could want to sell up and scrap all the money and plans for new training ground/stadium which he will make money on'?
or
'That sounds bad'

He really is a media whore

Better that than some reclusive, secretive owner with whom it is impossible to communicate, eh?

RFA

Tony Tweets on 13:12 - Feb 21 with 1518 viewsJamie

A week ago there was a long thread about whether TF being so quiet meant he was walking away. Now he's tweeted again, there's a long thread dissecting every word of it.
Tony Tweets on 13:15 - Feb 21 with 1510 viewsR_from_afar

Tony Tweets on 12:21 - Feb 21 by dolcelatte

That people refuse to come to terms with the fact he doesn't want to play for us at this level?

+1

Spot on. The ship has sailed as far as Taarabt is concerned. He was not up for it. Move on.

RFA

Tony Tweets on 13:27 - Feb 21 with 1473 viewsdaveB

I can see what Neil is saying but I'm not sure a football person is always the answer, we've had those running the club before in Berlin, Francis and paladini and it was all about the short term under those anyway Possibly the best run clubs are run by what you would call non football peopler such as at Southampton, Swansea and West Brom. Whether we like it or not football is a short term game, all the best plans in the world mean nothing if your star player you've spent years bringing through breaks his leg or buggers off to another club.

Personally I think the main changes we should make is getting more QPR people involved with the club to give us a sense of identity and celebrate our history make the club more than just somehwere that pays well. I'd be pushing to give players in their 30's like Hill, Derry etc the support to take coaching badges and even pay for former players to do them so they can come and work for the club and develop into top coaches.
Tony Tweets on 13:30 - Feb 21 with 1465 viewsFredManRave

Tony Tweets on 11:34 - Feb 21 by Neil_SI

I agree with that.

I think this is another PR move — or someone who is back in the same place he's found himself before and not learning from his past mistakes or the lessons he needs to.

Fernandes doesn't know a lot about football, yet he's already onto his third manager in his short reign and most likely will be onto his fourth in the nearish future.

All he has proven to date is that money talks, and that any sign of trouble, he'll panic and press the red button as he did with Neil Warnock, which was premature, and then Mark Hughes, albeit with Hughes he gave him a little more time as he was his man, before eventually conceding.

I've always found him easy to read. The way he openly *thought* about what to do with Warnock on Twitter before getting rid of him was disgusting, but then, after being so active on Twitter after signing Hughes, he then became very silent just prior to Hughes' removal, which was also poor form, albeit better than publicly making comments on the situation.

This time — he's once again tweeting from afar — he's not even referring to QPR as "us', or "ours", etc, like he's done plenty of times in the past... he refers to us simply as "for QPR", and it makes me feel like he's trying to absolve himself of blame.

It's no way to run a football club. The buck stops with him, end of story.

Bingo.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Tony Tweets on 13:34 - Feb 21 with 1454 viewsPinnerPaul

Tony Tweets on 13:12 - Feb 21 by Jamie

A week ago there was a long thread about whether TF being so quiet meant he was walking away. Now he's tweeted again, there's a long thread dissecting every word of it.

Tony Tweets on 13:37 - Feb 21 with 1443 viewsWeaverQPR

Tony Tweets on 13:27 - Feb 21 by daveB

I can see what Neil is saying but I'm not sure a football person is always the answer, we've had those running the club before in Berlin, Francis and paladini and it was all about the short term under those anyway Possibly the best run clubs are run by what you would call non football peopler such as at Southampton, Swansea and West Brom. Whether we like it or not football is a short term game, all the best plans in the world mean nothing if your star player you've spent years bringing through breaks his leg or buggers off to another club.

Personally I think the main changes we should make is getting more QPR people involved with the club to give us a sense of identity and celebrate our history make the club more than just somehwere that pays well. I'd be pushing to give players in their 30's like Hill, Derry etc the support to take coaching badges and even pay for former players to do them so they can come and work for the club and develop into top coaches.

Who exactly at the club is our Gary Monk/Tim Sherwood?

@WeavQPR

Tony Tweets on 13:43 - Feb 21 with 1429 viewsToast_R

Tony Tweets on 12:28 - Feb 21 by Antti_Heinola

no, we should have stuck with warnock and taken relegation, if it came, and rebuilt more sensibly with a new manager in the summer. IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

He didn't buy that much guff in the first window either once the takeover had gone through.
The guff he did buy were due to his hand being tied and there were no guarantees the takeover would be completed by end of August

Bothroyd - No one complained he'd had a good season for Cardiff
Peroni - Free but granted a bit odd but was getting Desperate.
Gabbidon Free and again desperate for players
Dyer - Free and better then nothing

What he wanted but wasn't allowed to get due to no money/ signed for another club by the time he did

Routledge
Graham
Mackail Smith

What he got with what was left on the table

SWP - Come on, no one thought his form would nose dive forever..
Barton - Everyone believed he was a God at first especially because he called Lampard a fat prick one time.
Young - Experienced and still decent enough for a newly promoted team

Compare that to what Hughes brought in, who was allowed to buy his targets over two transfer windows..

Would 100% rather have NW in charge right now.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2014 13:46]
Tony Tweets on 13:45 - Feb 21 with 1423 viewshoof_hearted

Tony Tweets on 13:37 - Feb 21 by WeaverQPR

Who exactly at the club is our Gary Monk/Tim Sherwood?

Gerry Francis to over see. He's shown he's not interested in day to day management any more so no threat to the manager but just a good advisor to all parties. Intelligent and knows football from all angles.

End of (for me) but somehow feels unlikely that H would enjoy it!
Tony Tweets on 13:49 - Feb 21 with 1412 viewsHunterhoop

I don't actually agree completely with Neil here.

I absolutely agree that tweeting is no way to communicate anything important, certainly not a message to your direct report and the wider team you lead. That's crass. It's unnecessary public. So what if some numpties are badgering him on twitter, ignore it. He's a busy man, it shouldn't be hard!

Nevertheless, the content and tone of the message is spot on (albeit it should have been delivered personally to HR).

TF has backed HR far more than many would and far more than he should. He made it very clear the type of players (note, not the specific players) he wanted to see HR bring in. However, with a few exceptions, HR has simply not done this. He has done his own thing. Yes, TF has not let HR spend loads of dosh on buying players, but there salaries and are an increase to our costs. TF has even let him loan in 8 players. This loan figures EXCLUDES Hughes and Benayoun who are on 6 month perm deals (and at the back end of their careers).

TF gave him £10m in the summer to buy players. When 'Arry has wanted to bring in loan after loan, TF has said yes. When Arry has wanted to bring in more coaches to support his back room team (which is pretty bloody large), TF has said yes. When HR wanted experience over youth and hunger, TF conceded. When 'Arry didn't want to take Adel back, TF agree to loan him out again.

He has done all that was asked apart from give HR the keys to the kingdom to buy players from other clubs for whatever he wants, which would have been madness to do in our circumstancess.

Given the manner of performances in recent weeks, coupled with the obvious situation we find ourselves in where HR doesn't know his best system or team, despite all the players (signed and loaned) he's brought in, and given that we're slipping down the top 6 at prtesent, I don't think it's unreasonable for TF to demand HR and the boys step up.

Frankly it's completely right that he lays that challenge at HR's feet. I know HR is as keen to embrace accountability as he is a full tax audit, but he does need to take responsibility and be held accountable. It's his job to manage the team. It's what he's paid handsomely for and it's only right that his boss challenges him to improve things.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024