Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
steven gerrard 20:47 - Jun 19 with 6231 viewsQPR1882

FCKING BOTTLE MERCHANT
steven gerrard on 06:27 - Jun 20 with 1196 viewsSnipper

steven gerrard on 03:38 - Jun 20 by SonofNorfolt

Would rather Lee Cattermole than Henderson.
Honest.

The last play England had before the second goal was when Henderson picked the ball up to the right of the Uruguayan penalty area after the defender slipped and left him in acres of space. He could have and should have ran into the area and maybe got a shot in. Instead he stood still with the ball for what seemed like an eternity, and then just put a very lazy cross in far too close to the keeper. They then scored from the keepers clearance.

Henderson is no international class player. The same could be said for a few good others too.
steven gerrard on 06:54 - Jun 20 with 1175 viewsAunt_Nelly

steven gerrard on 22:09 - Jun 19 by Hunterhoop

Their second goal was not Gerrard's fault. Jeez, you ever played football at any level? You even watched it live before?!

He's goes up for a competitive header in the middle and doesn't get it quite right and it skims off his head. It happens.

The issue was the two centre halves defending that long punt as badly as you can.

1) Jagielka, if you let your man go to the punt and don't follow him, then you must drop and drop quickly, not stand in no man's land. Make the decision earlier.
2) Cahill, you're marking the ONLY player on the pitch any flick on (off Gerrard or not) can go to. Just track him. Absolute basics. Just track him. WHY would you stop?! What are you doing?!

Honestly, Gerrard's involvement is minor. Even with his flick on there should be no danger. Piss poor from our centre halves.

Truth.

LFW never fails to surprise me. How can so many people spend so much time watching and talking about football and still know so little about the game? Astonishing.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 7:19]
steven gerrard on 07:11 - Jun 20 with 1152 viewsBasingstokeR

steven gerrard on 01:33 - Jun 20 by AgedR

He sat a bit too deep generally and couldn't impact the game in the way he might of.

However, to blame him for the defeat is unfair and to blame him him for the second goal shows a complete lack of understanding of the basic fundamentals of the game (I'm afraid you're on the wrong site).

He made a decent challenge, which he won, all be it it glanced off his head towards his defenders. Unfortunately, they both were ball watching and consequently neither went man to man or cover (sweeping). Add to that the fact that Hart went down too early (the shot went in the middle of the goal) and we conceded.

Gerard has been the outstanding English player of his generation and has represented his club, country and community with complete dignity.

He is past his best, but to decry him shows an utter ignorance and disrespect for the game.

"Outstanding English player of his generation" it's probably true and there's something quite sad about that.
steven gerrard on 07:15 - Jun 20 with 1147 viewsPunteR

Honest.

Sums up this thread.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

steven gerrard on 08:06 - Jun 20 with 1102 viewsPhildo

Honest.

I agree. Not that LC is any good at all but he would have a bit of the old warrior dog in him which average England sides used to have even when they lacked ability.

Re the Gerard thing he is partly culpable for both goals but obviously the defenders more so. It was 2 on 6 for the first goal for gods sake.

He is however more culpable for England failing to win and move forward. It was back to hot potato stuff with no one showing from the off. He is supposed to be the captain and a ballplayer and you are looking for someone to lead? I think the whole tema looked beaten from the start with a couple of exceptions.

And dont mention Sturridges one footedness- i went and boughgt a paper one one point while he was adjusting the ball back on to the correct peg...
steven gerrard on 08:26 - Jun 20 with 1073 viewsElHoop

steven gerrard on 22:09 - Jun 19 by Hunterhoop

Their second goal was not Gerrard's fault. Jeez, you ever played football at any level? You even watched it live before?!

He's goes up for a competitive header in the middle and doesn't get it quite right and it skims off his head. It happens.

The issue was the two centre halves defending that long punt as badly as you can.

1) Jagielka, if you let your man go to the punt and don't follow him, then you must drop and drop quickly, not stand in no man's land. Make the decision earlier.
2) Cahill, you're marking the ONLY player on the pitch any flick on (off Gerrard or not) can go to. Just track him. Absolute basics. Just track him. WHY would you stop?! What are you doing?!

Honestly, Gerrard's involvement is minor. Even with his flick on there should be no danger. Piss poor from our centre halves.

Yes you are spot on there - no way should a header that far out, when under pressure, be to blame for a goal. The centre backs are supposed to be ready for anything - they weren't. That's all they've got to do, be there and do the job.
steven gerrard on 08:35 - Jun 20 with 1064 viewsBasingstokeR

The Uruguay manager Tabarez has explained he targeted Gerrard. Worked.
steven gerrard on 08:58 - Jun 20 with 1024 viewsDANRANGER

Gerrard was disappointing however he needed a shout for the 2nd goal as he had no need to go for it and having done that Cahill should have been close to Suarez.

Overall though the midfield is poor. They sit too deep on the defence and offer very few options. Also, Roy has got it all wrong with Rooney. He moves him left and Sterling has a great game but as Rooney didn't decides to move him back and then Sterling games affected. Rooney was OK last night but I agree with the point that he doesn't play the 10 role as it should be. He is a centre forward dropping off and it needs to be a midfielder in their who can show for the ball and move us up the pitch linking with all around him.

Roy had a chance to change things and failed. It sums it up when your attacking left sided player is only in the team because he works hard and tracks back!! Yeah because that's what we need. Lallana had to play and will definitely push his deal through as had he played for Liverpool/United he would have started.

very disappointing but expected I guess.
Login to get fewer ads

steven gerrard on 09:22 - Jun 20 with 987 viewsBlackCrowe

I think some of the comments are unfair on Gerrard. Think he 's been an excellent servant to the game and always appears to give it everything. If he's not unto it anymore, which he probably isn't, then it's not his fault he was picked, it's Hodgson's. Bit like building the team around and indulging fckng Rooney last night when he's a shadow of the player he was 2 or 3 years ago.

I thought Hodgson was different, but alas no - when the pressure's we revert to type and avoid bold decisions and attacking football.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

steven gerrard on 13:25 - Jun 20 with 940 viewsR_from_afar

steven gerrard on 22:57 - Jun 19 by TW_R

Agreed. 4 very poor goals conceded so far. I guess Hodgson didn't watch the play-off final. That's how you f*cking defend.

Spot on, you defend like dogs, as a team.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

steven gerrard on 13:37 - Jun 20 with 912 viewssimmo

Agree with Hunter for 2nd goal, but 1st goal he lost his 50/50, shortly before he got shrugged off by Suarez after letting the ball bounce from a cleared set piece. He then did what he did for Liverpool v Chelsea after the slip and try to rectify the situation by himself, wild shooting and hollywood passes. Very poor game.

Also, I think Cahill and Jags were less at fault for the first goal than Johnson, who is fcking awful. If he does his job and attempts a challenge on Cavani, the pass doesnt even get to Suarez. He had 2 players behind him too, if he had any intelligence at all he would know that he could afford to commit to a challenge and have the players covering if he wasn't successful. Instead he chose the worst option possible, which is to stand off Cavani and let him do whatever the fck he wanted - like wait for his strike partner to make a run.

Johnson, Gerrard, Rooney were the most experienced players out there, and they all had poor games.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

steven gerrard on 13:39 - Jun 20 with 910 viewsEastR

steven gerrard on 06:54 - Jun 20 by Aunt_Nelly

Truth.

LFW never fails to surprise me. How can so many people spend so much time watching and talking about football and still know so little about the game? Astonishing.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 7:19]

It's not just posters on forums like this is seem to suffer from 'cluelessitis'

Here's Phil 'Chief Football Writer for the BBC' Mc Nulty's assessment of a couple of performances from last night :

Glen Johnson: "Redeemed...performance with a perfect cross for Wayne Rooney's equaliser." Perfect cross?? The ball shot out with a deflection from a tackle FFS

Gary Cahill: "Solid if unspectacular". Try positionally naive, with spectacular lack of awareness for both goals.

Experts, huh?

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

steven gerrard on 13:44 - Jun 20 with 906 viewsbob566

irish fan in peace. Unlucky last night guys. Was gerrard all that bad and worthy of all this vitriol. You were up against a good team in high humidity who are used to those conditions.

Personally I though welbeck was the worst player on the pitch. Cahill fecked up for the second goal but you were high up and pressing at that stage. I actually thought cahill cleared alot of crosses and played all right. Jags was far worse than him but cahill maybe its the scum thing seems to be copping a bit more flak on the thread.

As for rooney you can blame sir alec and moyes for wasting him on the wing for two years. There's a good player in there. Just been dicked about by club and country for years now.
steven gerrard on 13:47 - Jun 20 with 903 viewsRangersDave

Don't also forget the 'thumper' case at Southport night club

The staff said it was him

The public said it was him

The assailant said it was him

He admits to being there at that time

The CCTV coverage shows it's him giving GBH to a chap

It goes to court in Liverpool........a scouse selected court, naturally, pleads not guilty and he gets let off. Lol

Gerrard can do no wrong, so how dare you say he can, you'll burn in hell for that!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 13:47]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

steven gerrard on 13:48 - Jun 20 with 899 viewstoboboly

steven gerrard on 22:31 - Jun 19 by Hunterhoop

Agree. Gerrard wasn't bad, but he failed to dominate the midfield like we needed him to. He definitely disappointed.

But the back 4 were atrocious defensively on several occasions.

And, I know he scored, but I felt Rooney was the problem today. He was far too static and too slow in the no. 10 role and he wasn't finding space to receive the ball to feet and have space to turn like Sterling did against Italy. Yes, Uruguay defended better, but I really thought Sterling did a far more PROACTIVE job at no. 10 and I think Rooney's lack of movement and finding of space was the main reason we couldn't play through the middle. The players then kept looking for Sterling out wide but Uruguay doubled up on him and had the touchline to help.

Ultimately, though, we've lost both games because we can't defend. We don't do the basics and both Cahill and Jagielka simply aren't good enough. Everything else is secondary.

Jesus, two intelligent posts in one thread? Careful Hunter, your cards have been marked.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

steven gerrard on 22:34 - Jun 21 with 824 viewskarl

Not going to assess the players performances but with the OP calling Gerard a bottle merchant it has to be said his absence from any media interviews both after the game and now days later does suggest it's true. He's never off the microphone when things are good, fair play to Rooney today as he has been subject to plenty jibes but he put himself up there to be grilled but where was the captain?
steven gerrard on 23:07 - Jun 21 with 795 viewsdaveB

steven gerrard on 22:34 - Jun 21 by karl

Not going to assess the players performances but with the OP calling Gerard a bottle merchant it has to be said his absence from any media interviews both after the game and now days later does suggest it's true. He's never off the microphone when things are good, fair play to Rooney today as he has been subject to plenty jibes but he put himself up there to be grilled but where was the captain?

Gerrard is going to retire from England and I think Rooney is the next captain which is why he was there today. Gerrard is facing the press tomorrow.

Problem with Gerrard is the same with most England players, we never play to their strengths. For years Gerrard was brilliant alongside someone like Alonso or Hamman who sat deep and let him go forward. We could and should have played him and Scholes together but instead played Scholes left and Lampard next to him so he had to change his game and never played as well for England. Was exactly the same problem for Lampard as well.

I don't think he has recovered from that slip against Chelsea, it's been a dreadful few weeks for him and a real shame to see his career end like this when it should have been so different
steven gerrard on 23:20 - Jun 21 with 785 viewskarl

steven gerrard on 23:07 - Jun 21 by daveB

Gerrard is going to retire from England and I think Rooney is the next captain which is why he was there today. Gerrard is facing the press tomorrow.

Problem with Gerrard is the same with most England players, we never play to their strengths. For years Gerrard was brilliant alongside someone like Alonso or Hamman who sat deep and let him go forward. We could and should have played him and Scholes together but instead played Scholes left and Lampard next to him so he had to change his game and never played as well for England. Was exactly the same problem for Lampard as well.

I don't think he has recovered from that slip against Chelsea, it's been a dreadful few weeks for him and a real shame to see his career end like this when it should have been so different

That's a reasonable argument for missing the press conferences but Jagielka and Hodgson faced the tv after the game and I would want my captain to face up after a result like that.
Imo making Rooney captain falls into a similar cycle in that he may well be acceptable for a qualifying campaign but in two years time will he have the quality to lead a team of England's stature to a finals? I don't know who should be captain but I wouldn't choose him for that reason
steven gerrard on 23:30 - Jun 21 with 778 viewsdaveB

Rooney is the biggest name and thats how we pick captains in England. Personally I wouldn't have a full time captain so that no ones place in the team is safe, just pick a captain from the 11 who start. this country is far too obsessed with who the captain is
steven gerrard on 23:43 - Jun 21 with 769 viewskarl

steven gerrard on 23:30 - Jun 21 by daveB

Rooney is the biggest name and thats how we pick captains in England. Personally I wouldn't have a full time captain so that no ones place in the team is safe, just pick a captain from the 11 who start. this country is far too obsessed with who the captain is

Yes that's the problem, making someone bulletproof just hasn't worked but also managers have to be strong and Hodgson appears weak in front of press pressure and seems to prefer to fail with the setup they clamour for rather than stick his neck out and back his instinct.
I suppose Hoddle would have been the last of that mould? I see he never distanced himself totally from the job!
Any idea why he has never taken/been offered a good league job?
steven gerrard on 23:53 - Jun 21 with 760 viewsTacticalR

But don't we need a captain figure to come on after the game and make excuses? Having said that, I for one am tired of the same old excuses and would like to see someone who can provide us with new and interesting excuses.

Air hostess clique

steven gerrard on 00:16 - Jun 22 with 741 viewskarl

steven gerrard on 23:53 - Jun 21 by TacticalR

But don't we need a captain figure to come on after the game and make excuses? Having said that, I for one am tired of the same old excuses and would like to see someone who can provide us with new and interesting excuses.

Haha that's true TR, can't have your cake and eat it! However Gerard loves being captain when he's winning and in the context of the op I would say he is a bottle merchant for not facing the media.
It is in our UK psyche to have that leader though
steven gerrard on 10:06 - Jun 22 with 662 viewsdaveB

steven gerrard on 23:43 - Jun 21 by karl

Yes that's the problem, making someone bulletproof just hasn't worked but also managers have to be strong and Hodgson appears weak in front of press pressure and seems to prefer to fail with the setup they clamour for rather than stick his neck out and back his instinct.
I suppose Hoddle would have been the last of that mould? I see he never distanced himself totally from the job!
Any idea why he has never taken/been offered a good league job?

Hoddle is vastly over rated imo, Venables laid all the foundations for his 1998 team and he only beat Tunisia and Columbia in it, any half decent sides we played beat us same as every other World Cup
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024