Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? 22:21 - Sep 5 with 8071 viewsHoopsie

I am keen to know why we can't expand Loftus Road Stadium. I understand the fact that QPR has to "follow" the times and "grow".... why not stay in Loftus Road and expand the ground. A new stadium in a new development will take years to realise, the cost will be immense and success is not guaranteed with well documented new stadiums like Reading, Middlesbrough, Bolton...

Surely it will cost much less buying over land in Ellerslie Road, Loftus Road and the School, than to pay CarGiant and other land owners for acres of contaminated land and to spend even more to develop?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 22:33 - Sep 5 with 6418 viewsJuzzie

It's not as simple as that. Add up the costs for buying up the property, it's a lot. What if people don't want to sell, it takes just one person not to and it all falls apart. There are hundreds of flats in those streets. I'm not sure if CPOs are the same in a residential street compared to an industrial unit.
Then you have building works. The mess. What about right of light as stands will be higher than now. Where will we play while it's all being done? Craven Cottage? Well have to pay rent. That's another few £million.

Also, have you done a stadium tour?

I love LR but having done the tour 18 months ago it's clear it's woefully behind. It would need all four stands replacing.

It's a logistical nightmare.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2014 22:37]
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 22:45 - Sep 5 with 6374 viewszicoshoops

We can't go up, we can't expand on three sides as things currently stand.
The only way is down.
But to create the needed space, we need the land behind the School End.

I know some think we missed our opportunity there, but I disagree.
When the River Rats were sharing with us, there was a problem with Sky and their vehicles blocking up South Africa rd.
If the land behind the School End was available at the time.............A certain Mr Al Fayed would have been very interested in buying us.....lock stock and barrel.

So some might say a missed opportunity..............others, a narrow escape.
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 22:48 - Sep 5 with 6366 viewsGloryHunter

I agree. Buy the school - build them a brand-spanking new state-of-the-art school somewhere nearby - even if it costs a couple of mill. Buy the back gardens of the Ellerslie Road houses - again, a couple of mill in compensation. Knock down the SARd office / shop / changing room complex and rebuild all that stuff at the newly-vacated School End. Simples.
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 22:58 - Sep 5 with 6327 viewsted_hendrix

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 22:48 - Sep 5 by GloryHunter

I agree. Buy the school - build them a brand-spanking new state-of-the-art school somewhere nearby - even if it costs a couple of mill. Buy the back gardens of the Ellerslie Road houses - again, a couple of mill in compensation. Knock down the SARd office / shop / changing room complex and rebuild all that stuff at the newly-vacated School End. Simples.

"I agree. Buy the school - build them a brand-spanking new state-of-the-art school somewhere nearby - even if it costs a couple of mill. "

O.K. well we've just built a brand new state of the art science block for a school at a cost of £5.5 million, that's just a science block not a school, what I'm saying and with all due respect people have to understand a bit more exactly the cost of actually building anything, the actual cost doesn't include the running and maintenance of said building which also has to be factored in.
If you owned a nice football stadium for example you could stand in the middle of the bloody thing for nigh on 13 days out of 14 and the bloody place would be empty/useless and earning and doing sweet fanny adams.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 23:11 - Sep 5 with 6294 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 22:48 - Sep 5 by GloryHunter

That's assuming all 21 or so owners of the gardens want to sell. On top of that, it's not just the flats where the gardens are connected to. The value of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd floor flats would plummet too having a stadium stand two foot away from the back of the houses and the owner of the basement/ground floor flat would lose even more value having no garden. You'd have to compensate approx 100 flats and that'll be more than a couple of million. Again, that's assuming all 100 owners would agree to it.
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 23:19 - Sep 5 with 6268 viewsTheBlob

Can you imagine the local disruption carrying the spoil out of the area and trucking the new materials in?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 00:21 - Sep 6 with 6162 viewsGloryHunter

You're all right. We need to secure the fracking rights too.
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 00:26 - Sep 6 with 6156 viewsNortholt_Rs

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 00:21 - Sep 6 by GloryHunter

You're all right. We need to secure the fracking rights too.

What frucking rights?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 00:26 - Sep 6 with 6156 viewsSomersetHoops

I suspect its to do with a business model where there is money to be made in a major development where the money is in the things that are ancillary to football, like housing, retail units and possibly an hotel. These could be financed by sale of LR or developing it for housing and selling the properties built. Re-designing Loftus Road just doesn't cut it for business reasons, so even if it was possible, it won't happen.

Who's Next?

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 00:39 - Sep 6 with 6138 viewsItalianR

I guess no one has ever heard of a thing called planning permission. It's not just about buying the land, it's also about what you can actually do with that piece of land.
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 00:48 - Sep 6 with 6120 viewsGloryHunter

It's a football ground. It's been a football ground for over 100 years. It would probably be quicker and easier to get planning consent to expand the existing stadium than for the proposed new development at Old Oak Common.

Remember what happened to Fulham - they ended up moving back to Craven Cottage.
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 00:57 - Sep 6 with 6109 viewsKaos_Agent

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 22:45 - Sep 5 by zicoshoops

We can't go up, we can't expand on three sides as things currently stand.
The only way is down.
But to create the needed space, we need the land behind the School End.

I know some think we missed our opportunity there, but I disagree.
When the River Rats were sharing with us, there was a problem with Sky and their vehicles blocking up South Africa rd.
If the land behind the School End was available at the time.............A certain Mr Al Fayed would have been very interested in buying us.....lock stock and barrel.

So some might say a missed opportunity..............others, a narrow escape.

Why not consider going down? Would require some creative geotechnical design solutions but maybe not insurmountable. Many new stadiums are sunken by design and have good sightlines from any angle or elevation.

"Then it has all been in vain. The fellowship has failed." "Not if we hold true to each other."

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 01:20 - Sep 6 with 6085 viewsBrianMcCarthy

There isn't enough space between the stands and the pitch for the pitch to be sunk. If it were to be sunk at least two of the stands, one main and one end, would have to be moved back. It would require exactly the same amount of space as if we built upwards, I'm afraid.

I'm against the present move as it has not been explained to us how big the new stadium would be, how much our seats will cost and even whether we will own it. Having said that, I don't see the point of pretending that expansion of Loftus Road is feasible, as, sadly, I don't believe that it is.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 01:55 - Sep 6 with 6063 viewsPunteR

It crossed my mind as well. I went to the preseason game against PAOK and sat in SA stand for the first time in years. I thought I was getting good seats,front row near center line but had to endure not being able to see the school end goal as a massive steel post was in the way,equivalent of my 6 year old standing in front of the tv for the duration of a match!.
I think a redesign with modern ideas is possible . I'm sure another 5k- 10k seats could be built in with modern facilities and no restricted views. London is crammed in with buildings all shapes and sizes.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 05:56 - Sep 6 with 5997 viewsHoopsie

The Estadio do Bessa of Boavista FC has a capacity about 30,000. On google, it doesn't look much bigger than Loftus Road. With a little expansion in terms of area, i believe we can achieve up to 35,000.

Granted the neighbouring residential properties may pose a problem, but it is not impossible. Perhaps a relocation to the future Old Oak residential estates may be an incentive :)

I quite like going down (no not relegation!), have the pitch sunken in, this may overcome planning height restrictions. stadium lights can be incorporated into the roof, pylon floodlights a thing of the past?

I am not convinced about a stadium refurbishment creating logistic and transport nightmare, does it mean there will be no major development/redevelopment in innner london because you are gonna to upset surrounding residents/stalkholders? major cities do this all the time.

I quite like the present site (only been to Loftus Road once, all the way from down under) and i think we should keep the roots there.

Old Oak is unknown territory and maybe one that will be a long way away. I know we can develop stadium, entertainment areas, housing, but not forget you got to invest in infrastructure as well, buy land and then build, it all cost money.

New Loftus Road stadium can also integrate entertainment areas like cineplex, gym, pubs and also apartments that can be designed into Ellerslie and Loftus Road frontage. There is potential, I wonder we have actually look deeply into the issue and examine all avenues?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 07:41 - Sep 6 with 5932 viewsKerryE

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 05:56 - Sep 6 by Hoopsie

The Estadio do Bessa of Boavista FC has a capacity about 30,000. On google, it doesn't look much bigger than Loftus Road. With a little expansion in terms of area, i believe we can achieve up to 35,000.

Granted the neighbouring residential properties may pose a problem, but it is not impossible. Perhaps a relocation to the future Old Oak residential estates may be an incentive :)

I quite like going down (no not relegation!), have the pitch sunken in, this may overcome planning height restrictions. stadium lights can be incorporated into the roof, pylon floodlights a thing of the past?

I am not convinced about a stadium refurbishment creating logistic and transport nightmare, does it mean there will be no major development/redevelopment in innner london because you are gonna to upset surrounding residents/stalkholders? major cities do this all the time.

I quite like the present site (only been to Loftus Road once, all the way from down under) and i think we should keep the roots there.

Old Oak is unknown territory and maybe one that will be a long way away. I know we can develop stadium, entertainment areas, housing, but not forget you got to invest in infrastructure as well, buy land and then build, it all cost money.

New Loftus Road stadium can also integrate entertainment areas like cineplex, gym, pubs and also apartments that can be designed into Ellerslie and Loftus Road frontage. There is potential, I wonder we have actually look deeply into the issue and examine all avenues?

Could we build over the top of South Africa Road, traffic goes under bit like at Aston Villa. Obviously planning etc not straightforward.
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 07:49 - Sep 6 with 5916 viewsYorkRanger

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 07:41 - Sep 6 by KerryE

Could we build over the top of South Africa Road, traffic goes under bit like at Aston Villa. Obviously planning etc not straightforward.

The problem is it's not just the capacity that needs addressing. The whole infrastructure is now substandard. Leg room, concourse size, toilets, catering, corporate facilities.

As much as I'd like to stay, the negotiations to get the surrounding land required to make the job feasible would make Old Oak Common look like a piece of cake.

TF is no fool. You can can bet they looked at this long and hard.

To New Queens Park it is
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 07:56 - Sep 6 with 5907 viewsDWQPR

If you google earth LR and then measure the dimensions you will realise that the club is hamstrung and not even the purchase of the school site by Chris Wright many years ago would have solved the problem we have. Getting a stadium close to 20,000 on that site is an incredible feat, and then most sit squashed. It is a 20th century solution in a 21st century world. Fact is that the owners need more out of a stadium and the only way to do this is to make it multi-functional. Why do you think that the Russian wanted Battersea Power Station. He could expand Stamford Bridge by knocking the hotel down, don't forget that the ground used to have a dog track round it so the footprint is much larger. Rangers need a bigger stadium and additional revenue not only to survive in the PL but to survive full stop, and this is exemplified by the mess we got ourselves in during the Paladini years, average players cost a lot nowadays and if the revenue isn't there then the only way is down and eventual bankruptcy.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 08:25 - Sep 6 with 5864 viewsbosh67

I think we should keep Loftus Road and develop it into the club's training ground/academy centre, with apartments and a football museum. Keep the pitch, keep about 6-8,000 seats so you can watch academy matches and open training sessions, and still have Loftus Road as a spiritual ground and academy centre. Keeps the club alive in its original home for the community and the fans.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 08:44 - Sep 6 with 5838 viewsTheBlob

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 01:20 - Sep 6 by BrianMcCarthy

There isn't enough space between the stands and the pitch for the pitch to be sunk. If it were to be sunk at least two of the stands, one main and one end, would have to be moved back. It would require exactly the same amount of space as if we built upwards, I'm afraid.

I'm against the present move as it has not been explained to us how big the new stadium would be, how much our seats will cost and even whether we will own it. Having said that, I don't see the point of pretending that expansion of Loftus Road is feasible, as, sadly, I don't believe that it is.

Was pondering that as well,if you increase the rake of the terracing it might just work but it'd be like the north face of the Eiger.Also there's the water table to consider?Isn't London slowly drowning because companies aren't taking sufficient water out of the aquifer - breweries in particular?If we'd bought the school end and a few houses we could have turned the pitch 90 degrees.
Sadly it's a tired old place and it's going to crumble at some stage.Can't keep putting the building equivalents of sticking plasters on it forever.Major surgery needed.

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 08:54 - Sep 6 with 5818 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 08:25 - Sep 6 by bosh67

I think we should keep Loftus Road and develop it into the club's training ground/academy centre, with apartments and a football museum. Keep the pitch, keep about 6-8,000 seats so you can watch academy matches and open training sessions, and still have Loftus Road as a spiritual ground and academy centre. Keeps the club alive in its original home for the community and the fans.

Great idea. We would still need an academy/training ground, though, as one pitch isn't enough for that job. Also, doubt that any owners would pass up on the sale value of Loftus Road. What a lovely idea, though.

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 08:57 - Sep 6 with 5807 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 07:49 - Sep 6 by YorkRanger

The problem is it's not just the capacity that needs addressing. The whole infrastructure is now substandard. Leg room, concourse size, toilets, catering, corporate facilities.

As much as I'd like to stay, the negotiations to get the surrounding land required to make the job feasible would make Old Oak Common look like a piece of cake.

TF is no fool. You can can bet they looked at this long and hard.

To New Queens Park it is

As I said in another post I don't think it's feasible. However I don't think Fernandes & Co would've looked at it in a lets-make-it-happen kind of way, in fact I doubt they would have looked at it at all, their heads being turned by the many billions to be made in Old Oak's vast project.

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 09:05 - Sep 6 with 5796 viewsQPunkR

As I've suggested before, we could always build over SA Rd like they did with the train tracks at Lansdowne Rd. It'd raise the capacity of that stand considerably at the very least and wouldn't block more light from the estate opposite as they'd still have their patch of green grass (which no-one uses) between the road and their gaffs.

QPR - "shit but local"

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 09:13 - Sep 6 with 5780 viewsToast_R

The seats are too close together, in 1994 the club must have employed a batch of Umper Lumpers to fit all the seats.
Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 09:15 - Sep 6 with 5775 viewsTheBlob

Loftus Road - why move and not stay? on 09:05 - Sep 6 by QPunkR

As I've suggested before, we could always build over SA Rd like they did with the train tracks at Lansdowne Rd. It'd raise the capacity of that stand considerably at the very least and wouldn't block more light from the estate opposite as they'd still have their patch of green grass (which no-one uses) between the road and their gaffs.

I was going to suggest that in the move the pitch round 90 degrees idea.Imagine the size of the stands you could achieve.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024