Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan Rickman RIP 12:44 - Jan 14 with 11669 viewsJuzzie

Another one gone. Great actor who starting acting quite late on.

http://gu.com/p/4fym5/fb
Alan Rickman RIP on 16:42 - Jan 14 with 3563 viewsDeepcutHoop

Alan Rickman RIP on 16:41 - Jan 14 by TacticalR

That's what this forum is all about.

*nods sagely*
Alan Rickman RIP on 17:04 - Jan 14 with 3533 viewsRangersDave

He so upstaged Costner in prince of thieves that 20-30 minutes of him was cut from the movie, apparently because it was a Costner vehicle and dear Kevin didn't like being second fiddle.

Accordingly there is around 20 minutes more of dear departed Alan in the special edition Prince of Thieves release.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Alan Rickman RIP on 17:43 - Jan 14 with 3487 viewsJigsore

desperately sad. Alan Rickman was a supremely talent bloke, he could have me laughing with a single line

one of my favourites from Galaxy Quest

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Alan Rickman RIP on 17:51 - Jan 14 with 3475 viewspaesanu

Alan Rickman RIP on 14:01 - Jan 14 by TacticalR

Very good!

"He won't be joining us for the rest of his life" - legendary badguy delivery

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Alan Rickman RIP on 19:42 - Jan 14 with 3404 viewsMonahoop

Alan Rickman RIP on 13:40 - Jan 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Didn't like his acting but he seemed a very decent sort.

RIP.

Played the part well of Eamon De Valera in Micheal Collins. A great actor with a rather sinister look about him. RIP

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Alan Rickman RIP on 21:08 - Jan 14 with 3335 viewsbosh67

RIP to another great talent lost.

69 is becoming the new 27.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Alan Rickman RIP on 21:55 - Jan 14 with 3288 viewswombat

Alan Rickman RIP on 15:32 - Jan 14 by exiled_dictator

plus he absolutely blew that ponce kevin costner out of the water in robin hood.
a truly honourable man, who kept his private life out of hello and ok magazine, so he was alright in my books.

my kids are crying due to his snape legacy.

rip.

Remember reading an article about Rickmansworth role in prince of thieves , they had to tony down his part as he was stealing the film from Kevin Costner and Costner was scared he would be shown up

He was a brilliant actor RIP

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Alan Rickman RIP on 23:19 - Jan 14 with 3229 viewsA40Bosh

I think you need to tony down your auto correct mate
[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 23:21]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Login to get fewer ads

Alan Rickman RIP on 23:27 - Jan 14 with 3216 viewsHollowayRanger

not a fan still a shame wish we could all get say 80

anyone else 69 1.bowie 2. rickman 3.???? theygo in three's!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Alan Rickman RIP on 23:43 - Jan 14 with 3199 viewsE17hoop

Alan Rickman RIP on 23:27 - Jan 14 by HollowayRanger

not a fan still a shame wish we could all get say 80

anyone else 69 1.bowie 2. rickman 3.???? theygo in three's!

Donald Trump is 69.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Alan Rickman RIP on 23:55 - Jan 14 with 3191 viewsPunteR

One of the best villains ever in one of my favorite films. RIP

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Alan Rickman RIP on 07:56 - Jan 15 with 3151 viewsade_qpr

Alan Rickman RIP on 23:55 - Jan 14 by PunteR

One of the best villains ever in one of my favorite films. RIP

In my top eleven films of all time and he was a big part of it.
RIP

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Alan Rickman RIP on 08:25 - Jan 15 with 3138 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alan Rickman RIP on 19:42 - Jan 14 by Monahoop

Played the part well of Eamon De Valera in Micheal Collins. A great actor with a rather sinister look about him. RIP

I'd forgotten that. That script and Rickman's cold, arch portrayal changed Ireland's perception of De Valera from reverence to disdain. I've never see art change life so profoundly before or after. It was astonishing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Alan Rickman RIP on 08:33 - Jan 15 with 3135 viewsisawqpratwcity

Alan Rickman RIP on 08:25 - Jan 15 by BrianMcCarthy

I'd forgotten that. That script and Rickman's cold, arch portrayal changed Ireland's perception of De Valera from reverence to disdain. I've never see art change life so profoundly before or after. It was astonishing.

Fairly or not (in your opinion)?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Alan Rickman RIP on 09:24 - Jan 15 with 3104 viewsPommyhoop

Alan Rickman RIP on 17:04 - Jan 14 by RangersDave

He so upstaged Costner in prince of thieves that 20-30 minutes of him was cut from the movie, apparently because it was a Costner vehicle and dear Kevin didn't like being second fiddle.

Accordingly there is around 20 minutes more of dear departed Alan in the special edition Prince of Thieves release.

Good old Alan was just upholding the tradition that when Hollywood needs someone to act the villain rather than just be a square jawed silent hero type, contact the English dear boy..
He was a fine actor RIP...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Alan Rickman RIP on 13:18 - Jan 15 with 2869 viewspaesanu

Just reminded his witty introduction in Dogma

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Alan Rickman RIP on 10:18 - Jan 16 with 2816 viewsBrianMcCarthy

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/15/harry-potter-generation-ala

"For the Potter generation, Alan Rickman’s death marks the end of childhood"

This is precisely the type of faux-woe grief junkieism that has me shaking my head. For some, it seems to have replaced respect and perspective.

The end of childhood? Give me a break. War ends childhood. The kids in my life, thankfully, would register an actor's passing and then carry on playing.

Alan Rickman RIP on 10:39 - Jan 16 with 2801 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alan Rickman RIP on 08:33 - Jan 15 by isawqpratwcity

Fairly or not (in your opinion)?

Great question.

I would have to say that it was unfair in balance, but that was not Rickman's fault. He had Irish roots and was believed to have studied the role deeply but no-one could be expected to get a grip on the complexities of the Collins-De Valera relationship in months, maybe not even years. The script was not his.

I have, I would suggest humbly, read on the subject more than most, and I have no doubt that Dev's decision not to travel to London as part of the negotiating team led directly to the Civil War. The repercussions were catastrophic, creating as it did two factions even before the talks began.

However, no-one knows a man's mind, and Dev left no reliable writings that explained his thoughts or motivations. In glorifying Collins, perhaps justifiably or perhaps not, the scriptwriters simultaneously buried Dev's reputation. They committed the cardinal sin of ascribing motive, I felt, and in doing so made Dev a cartoon villain.

Crucially, also, the film implies that Dev was implicated in Collins' death and may even have enticed him to Beal na mBlath in West Cork on the pretence of peace talks so that he might be ambushed. The truth is quite the opposite: on the very day that Collins died Dev argued that Collins should not be ambushed as his successor, should Collins die, might be less approachable.

I remember watching the film for the first time and seeing it end with Dev's little-known quote blazoned across the screen:-

"It is my considered opinion that in the fullness of time history will record the greatness of Michael Collins; and it will be recorded at my expense."

...and knowing that they had buried Dev's reputation in one (possibly unintentional) blow. Taken out of context it seemed to suggest that De Valera was being charged with his death. I grew up idolising Collins as most boys did in West Cork, but I felt then and I feel now that this did Dev an awful injustice.

Alan Rickman RIP on 10:58 - Jan 16 with 2790 viewsisawqpratwcity

Alan Rickman RIP on 10:39 - Jan 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Great question.

I would have to say that it was unfair in balance, but that was not Rickman's fault. He had Irish roots and was believed to have studied the role deeply but no-one could be expected to get a grip on the complexities of the Collins-De Valera relationship in months, maybe not even years. The script was not his.

I have, I would suggest humbly, read on the subject more than most, and I have no doubt that Dev's decision not to travel to London as part of the negotiating team led directly to the Civil War. The repercussions were catastrophic, creating as it did two factions even before the talks began.

However, no-one knows a man's mind, and Dev left no reliable writings that explained his thoughts or motivations. In glorifying Collins, perhaps justifiably or perhaps not, the scriptwriters simultaneously buried Dev's reputation. They committed the cardinal sin of ascribing motive, I felt, and in doing so made Dev a cartoon villain.

Crucially, also, the film implies that Dev was implicated in Collins' death and may even have enticed him to Beal na mBlath in West Cork on the pretence of peace talks so that he might be ambushed. The truth is quite the opposite: on the very day that Collins died Dev argued that Collins should not be ambushed as his successor, should Collins die, might be less approachable.

I remember watching the film for the first time and seeing it end with Dev's little-known quote blazoned across the screen:-

"It is my considered opinion that in the fullness of time history will record the greatness of Michael Collins; and it will be recorded at my expense."

...and knowing that they had buried Dev's reputation in one (possibly unintentional) blow. Taken out of context it seemed to suggest that De Valera was being charged with his death. I grew up idolising Collins as most boys did in West Cork, but I felt then and I feel now that this did Dev an awful injustice.

And a great answer, thank you.

It is interesting that it had such a strong effect on an Irish audience. Actually, it's downright disturbing.

Alan Rickman RIP on 11:13 - Jan 16 with 2775 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alan Rickman RIP on 10:58 - Jan 16 by isawqpratwcity

And a great answer, thank you.

It is interesting that it had such a strong effect on an Irish audience. Actually, it's downright disturbing.

Thanks.

Very disturbing, you're right.

I think the main reason that it had such a profound effect was that the information hit a relative vacuum.

Just as civil war is likely follow a revolution for independence, it seems from what I can gather that silence almost always follows civil war. I was born less than fifty years after the Irish Civil War and I was taught very little about it. I'm glad to say that tings have changed now, but in my time it was glossed over in school. Similarly, my grandparents and their generation rarely spoke about it. How could you when every story involved a brother, sister or neighbour who was on the other side? Most of the characters in the local and national war were alive. Information was buried deep as a necessity. So too were feelings.

Jordan's film, therefore, was painted on a blank canvas for many people, hence its massive impact on the reputation of both Collins and De Valera.

Alan Rickman RIP on 12:06 - Jan 16 with 2755 viewsisawqpratwcity

Alan Rickman RIP on 11:13 - Jan 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks.

Very disturbing, you're right.

I think the main reason that it had such a profound effect was that the information hit a relative vacuum.

Just as civil war is likely follow a revolution for independence, it seems from what I can gather that silence almost always follows civil war. I was born less than fifty years after the Irish Civil War and I was taught very little about it. I'm glad to say that tings have changed now, but in my time it was glossed over in school. Similarly, my grandparents and their generation rarely spoke about it. How could you when every story involved a brother, sister or neighbour who was on the other side? Most of the characters in the local and national war were alive. Information was buried deep as a necessity. So too were feelings.

Jordan's film, therefore, was painted on a blank canvas for many people, hence its massive impact on the reputation of both Collins and De Valera.

I would like to say how interesting the observation is of silence following civil war (very), but I'm too eager, champing at the bit to pull you up on saying "tings"!

Never complain again about lazy comedic Irish stereotypes!

Alan Rickman RIP on 12:20 - Jan 16 with 2743 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alan Rickman RIP on 12:06 - Jan 16 by isawqpratwcity

I would like to say how interesting the observation is of silence following civil war (very), but I'm too eager, champing at the bit to pull you up on saying "tings"!

Never complain again about lazy comedic Irish stereotypes!

Ha! I'm not even editing that!

I was in a pub in Archway once and a godawful oul' Irish lad was going through his threadbare repertoire for a threadbare crowd. This came on, and to my delight he couldn't pronounce his 'th's. I caught it on the first 'TINGS', and it got funnier, and funnier, and funnier...I was helpless by the end, could hardly breathe...

Alan Rickman RIP on 12:35 - Jan 16 with 2724 viewsPommyhoop

Alan Rickman RIP on 09:24 - Jan 15 by Pommyhoop

Good old Alan was just upholding the tradition that when Hollywood needs someone to act the villain rather than just be a square jawed silent hero type, contact the English dear boy..
He was a fine actor RIP...

Just watched Selma .Loved it .Top film. Who did they get for arch villain governer Wallace?.- Timmy Roth.
Who did they get for villain no2 who came good at the end Pres L.B.J - the fella from The Full Monty.
Sheeeeeeeeeet . we even got the hero Dr King.. David Oyetokunbo Oyelowo.
Hollywood ? We shit it..

3.51 onwards if you're pressed..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024