Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Clement 04:05 - Feb 11 with 3292 viewsjc_hoops

I know there have been a few threads on here regarding him. I was chatting to a madDerby mate of mine and he said (although he is well peved at losing him) that he had heard he had been up to no good. Now what that exactly means I'm not sure as I don't think he has any more info on it, whether it was a romantic interlude or a bit of a monitory thing? I wondered whether anyone on here had heard any grapevine rumours on this situation?
Paul Clement on 08:12 - Feb 11 with 3141 viewsDorse

Up to no good? Probably scrumping. Or loitering. Maybe even making a nuisance of himself with some other boys.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Paul Clement on 09:37 - Feb 11 with 3032 viewsMick_S

Maybe he's not very good with sheep?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8591664/Britains-worst-s

Sorry about the advert!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Paul Clement on 10:23 - Feb 11 with 2967 viewstimcocking

The Derby chairman gave an interview, a couple of points in which I found interesting.

The gist of it was something along the lines of 'it's all well and good having plenty of points in the league table, but results aren't everything, i don't want promotion this year which Paul is striving for, I want the club developed properly from the bottom up so we're in a strong position in a year or two, which he isn't doing...'
Paul Clement on 10:31 - Feb 11 with 2946 viewsToast_R

Paul Clement on 10:23 - Feb 11 by timcocking

The Derby chairman gave an interview, a couple of points in which I found interesting.

The gist of it was something along the lines of 'it's all well and good having plenty of points in the league table, but results aren't everything, i don't want promotion this year which Paul is striving for, I want the club developed properly from the bottom up so we're in a strong position in a year or two, which he isn't doing...'

Someone give him Mike Riggs number...
Paul Clement on 11:40 - Feb 11 with 2850 viewsJuzzie

Paul Clement on 10:23 - Feb 11 by timcocking

How dare Paul Clement try and get his team promoted.......
Paul Clement on 11:43 - Feb 11 with 2837 viewsdaveB

You can't spend 15-20 million on new players then moan that the manager is only worried about promotion. Of course he is that what you brought him to the club for. Was the same with us and Redknapp. If you are serious about not wanting to go up and building over time then spending big on Bradley Johnson was a daft idea.
Paul Clement on 11:56 - Feb 11 with 2785 viewsTacticalR

Paul Clement on 10:31 - Feb 11 by Toast_R

Someone give him Mike Riggs number...

Exactly. Rigg can produce plans 'in the right way' for up and coming clubs.

Air hostess clique

Paul Clement on 11:57 - Feb 11 with 2783 viewsNorthernr

Paul Clement on 11:43 - Feb 11 by daveB

You can't spend 15-20 million on new players then moan that the manager is only worried about promotion. Of course he is that what you brought him to the club for. Was the same with us and Redknapp. If you are serious about not wanting to go up and building over time then spending big on Bradley Johnson was a daft idea.

What the chairman says is all well and good, and it's something I've written about plenty - if you artifically inflate your club into the Premier league without the foundations, infrastructure etc to back it up you just end up chasing your tail trying to compete while you're up there and, despite the money, end up in more debt than you went up.

However, Derby have spent £25m this year. If they don't go up they will surely be under an embargo pretty damn quickly.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Clement on 12:23 - Feb 11 with 2703 viewsBostonR

You just know they are going to make the play-off final and get beaten!
Paul Clement on 12:39 - Feb 11 with 2653 viewsdaveB

Paul Clement on 12:23 - Feb 11 by BostonR

You just know they are going to make the play-off final and get beaten!

Bobby Zamora again, last minute
Paul Clement on 12:46 - Feb 11 with 2614 viewsJuzzie

Paul Clement on 11:57 - Feb 11 by Northernr

What the chairman says is all well and good, and it's something I've written about plenty - if you artifically inflate your club into the Premier league without the foundations, infrastructure etc to back it up you just end up chasing your tail trying to compete while you're up there and, despite the money, end up in more debt than you went up.

However, Derby have spent £25m this year. If they don't go up they will surely be under an embargo pretty damn quickly.

Seems to me what the Chairmen is saying publicly is very different to what they really think.

You don't spend £25m+ and not want promotion knowing you'll get FFP'd if you don't go up.... do you?
Paul Clement on 13:31 - Feb 11 with 2480 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Agreed, there is something not quite right there.
We may never find out what the real reason he was sacked is but I am guessing it isn't that.
Paul Clement on 13:38 - Feb 11 with 2455 viewsstevec

Probably because he lost the dressing room when the Chairman came in shouting the odds.
Paul Clement on 13:41 - Feb 11 with 2436 viewsQPR_Jim

That's the most likely outcome if we get promoted but it doesn't have to lead to spending. What's wrong with going up spending little and getting relegated with a big pot of cash to then build up your foundations.
Paul Clement on 13:46 - Feb 11 with 2412 viewsJonDoeman

Pearson is getting lined up. Got to think he'll get more out of that squad than Clement was .

It Is What It Is !!

Paul Clement on 13:49 - Feb 11 with 2391 viewshoof_hearted

I met him a few weeks ago. He seemed a fairly quiet, thoughtful man. I think he is much better suited to his coaching roles than being the ruthless bastard manager. Ramsey-esque.
Paul Clement on 13:52 - Feb 11 with 2382 viewsToast_R

Paul Clement on 13:41 - Feb 11 by QPR_Jim

That's the most likely outcome if we get promoted but it doesn't have to lead to spending. What's wrong with going up spending little and getting relegated with a big pot of cash to then build up your foundations.

Good in theory but their fans have already suffered one humiliating Premier league campaign when they went up last time. The fans wouldn't stand for it and the board would have that crazy idea once they've seen the cash on offer, that they might somehow be able to stay there, sack the manager and panic buy a load of mercs. Sound familiar?
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 13:53]
Paul Clement on 13:56 - Feb 11 with 2360 viewsQPR_Jim

Paul Clement on 13:52 - Feb 11 by Toast_R

Good in theory but their fans have already suffered one humiliating Premier league campaign when they went up last time. The fans wouldn't stand for it and the board would have that crazy idea once they've seen the cash on offer, that they might somehow be able to stay there, sack the manager and panic buy a load of mercs. Sound familiar?

I know that's what we would do, but it's not the only way. It used to be quite common for clubs to yo-yo for a few years before establishing themselves in the top flight.
Paul Clement on 14:03 - Feb 11 with 2338 viewsJuzzie

Paul Clement on 13:41 - Feb 11 by QPR_Jim

That could be the best of intentions but once you're in the PL, suddenly things change.

Look at Bournemouth, I don't think anyone would begrudge them spending little and coming straight down and using the money to lay future foundations in the ground, training, youth etc. yet they spent fairly big in January, around 4th or 5th highest spenders. Two players costing £7m and £9m, That says to me they plan to stay up. If they do, they'll have to spend big again and again.... and that's when you suddenly realise you can't afford to get relegated.

Newcastle spent £24m on 2 players (one from relegation rivals Swansea), the two biggest signing#s in January. Sunderland got in 5 players. Norwich got in 7 players (the most), once costing £8.5 and sold a player also to relegation rivals Bournemouth(?!)

They're all banking on staying up but someone's CFO is going to be standing on the window ledge come the end of May.

[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 14:09]
Paul Clement on 14:07 - Feb 11 with 2310 viewsSimonJames

Paul Clement on 13:52 - Feb 11 by Toast_R

I can't see there being another pig's trough of money like the PL's £5.1BN in the future. (Countries like China, Germany, Italy and Spain will all be wanting to grab a bigger share of the broadcasting revenues.)
So even if you get promoted, spend very little trying to stay up, and then get relegated, you are trousering so much wedge for future initiatives (new facilities, players, etc.) that it's got to be worth it (from a business perspective if not a fans one).

100% of people who drink water will die.

Paul Clement on 14:36 - Feb 11 with 2232 viewsTacticalR

If the manager accidentally gets them into the play-offs couldn't MM simply donate the place to a more needy team?

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024