Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messi's penalty 07:31 - Feb 15 with 13586 viewspaesanu

Since when has this been legal??

https://streamable.com/62m2

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Messi's penalty on 09:23 - Feb 16 with 2219 viewsjohncharles

The only way to defend this Messi/Suarez kind of penalty is to mark the opposition players really tightly. Very difficult not to commit a foul especially with Suarez, who finds it almost impossible to stand up once he's in the box at best of times. Does the ref give another penalty ? I mean like two penalties ?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2016 10:33]

Strong and stable my arse.

Messi's penalty on 10:31 - Feb 16 with 2196 viewsPinnerPaul

Messi's penalty on 16:54 - Feb 15 by paesanu

So in a penalty shootout, there's an FA law where all other players must stand behind the halfway line?

If not, then it could be sudden death, and you have your team-mate next to you... and you can bluff the keeper whether you'tr going to shoot it or pass it.

Yes this is in the laws re penalty "shoot outs"

- All players, except the player taking the kick and the two goalkeepers,
must remain within the centre circle
Messi's penalty on 10:37 - Feb 16 with 2191 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've watched Barca for a long, long time and I love watching them but there's no denying that the Spanish authorities made a huge mistake when they allowed both Barca and Real to negotiate individual TV deals. Predictably, they received exorbitant income. Predictably, the other teams received a pittance.

Add that to the fact that both clubs (as well as Bilbao and Ossasuna) are granted massive tax breaks as they are socios and therefore not companies and you're beginning to see how the scales are tipped. Throw in Real's sweetheart deal to sell their training ground to the Spanish government for €480m and a crystal-clear picture emerges.

Barca are the best team of my lifetime reinventing themselves yet again at the moment. Watching them and Real in La Liga, however, is computer game stuff - marvellously entertaining but not to be confused with reality.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Messi's penalty on 15:31 - Feb 16 with 2111 viewsBoston

Barcelona and Real Madrid are the poster boys for corrupt corporate European football. These government approved thieves have virtually destroyed Spanish football and are the benchmarks for the appalling financial stitch up being orchestrated by FIFA. across the rest of the continent.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Messi's penalty on 20:37 - Feb 16 with 2041 viewstraininvain

Messi's penalty on 10:37 - Feb 16 by BrianMcCarthy

I've watched Barca for a long, long time and I love watching them but there's no denying that the Spanish authorities made a huge mistake when they allowed both Barca and Real to negotiate individual TV deals. Predictably, they received exorbitant income. Predictably, the other teams received a pittance.

Add that to the fact that both clubs (as well as Bilbao and Ossasuna) are granted massive tax breaks as they are socios and therefore not companies and you're beginning to see how the scales are tipped. Throw in Real's sweetheart deal to sell their training ground to the Spanish government for €480m and a crystal-clear picture emerges.

Barca are the best team of my lifetime reinventing themselves yet again at the moment. Watching them and Real in La Liga, however, is computer game stuff - marvellously entertaining but not to be confused with reality.

What about watching them in the Champions League last season?

When Messi destroyed Bayern in the semis followed by Suarez & Neymar dealing with Juventus in the final.
Messi's penalty on 20:43 - Feb 16 with 2030 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Messi's penalty on 20:37 - Feb 16 by traininvain

When Messi destroyed Bayern in the semis followed by Suarez & Neymar dealing with Juventus in the final.

Different story, absolutely. That's what makes them the best team of my lifetime - four finals and four wins in ten years, scintillating football as well.

Messi's penalty on 01:05 - Feb 17 with 1992 viewsBrazilNutR

I really can't fathom the idea that this penalty incident is considered as bad sportsmanship, when they played the game well within the laws of the game. It was no cheating in any way.
By the same principals, soon players will be getting grief for doing tricks, and unsportsmanlike stepovers.. Absolute nonsense.
Messi's penalty on 03:37 - Feb 17 with 1975 viewsFredManRave

Messi's penalty on 01:05 - Feb 17 by BrazilNutR

I really can't fathom the idea that this penalty incident is considered as bad sportsmanship, when they played the game well within the laws of the game. It was no cheating in any way.
By the same principals, soon players will be getting grief for doing tricks, and unsportsmanlike stepovers.. Absolute nonsense.

Agree NutR. The players and manager of Celta Vigo have all said that no offense was taken from the penalty. It was a rare moment of quality (Henry proved that it's not as easy as it looks ) something different, unusual, a break from the norm yet some people choose to be offended themselves by it. Each to their own obviously but why is it any different from the penalty chip?! And as you mention I read recently that Neymar has been getting "grief" for his rainbow tricks and suchlike. Did Messi get grief or was accused of unsportsmanship when he scored one of the best free kicks keeping the ball low knowing that the wall would jump.

Some people get offended by this penalty just as some people look for negatives in Leicesters achievements in the last 12 months or do likewise with Harry Kane and what he's achieved for Spurs in the last 18 months.

Again, each to their own but I'm just surprised to read sometimes, bearing in mind all that's wrong with football these days, how some people choose or look for the negative over the positive.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

Messi's penalty on 09:33 - Feb 17 with 1938 viewspaulparker

Messi's penalty on 20:37 - Feb 16 by traininvain

They are good players and a good team, but the CL is designed for clubs like Barca to go through to the knockouts, they had to play 2 decent teams last year on the way to winning it and Juventus were hardly world beaters
I wonder how far they would get if it was back to the old way of random draws and two legged ties , they wouldn't have won the thing 4 times that's for sure

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Messi's penalty on 12:06 - Feb 17 with 1907 viewsGaryT

Messi's penalty on 21:02 - Feb 15 by billericaydicky

'Penalty to Rangers...up steps Junior Hoilett who taps it sideways to the on-rushing Seb Polter who's first touch stabs the ball out of play for a goal kick...'

Surely you mean out for a throw in?
Messi's penalty on 13:09 - Feb 17 with 1881 viewstraininvain

Messi's penalty on 09:33 - Feb 17 by paulparker

They are good players and a good team, but the CL is designed for clubs like Barca to go through to the knockouts, they had to play 2 decent teams last year on the way to winning it and Juventus were hardly world beaters
I wonder how far they would get if it was back to the old way of random draws and two legged ties , they wouldn't have won the thing 4 times that's for sure

In the last year they've coasted to winning La Liga, Champions League, World Club Cup etc.

In the process they regularly beat the likes of Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus etc.

I'm struggling to see what more they would need to do to prove they are the best team in the world by a country mile.

Suarez (pretty much alone) nearly won the Premiership for Liverpool. Barca have him, Neymar & Messi. Not to mention a host of World Cup & European Championship winners. They would absolutely p1ss the Premiership & any other league in the world.
Messi's penalty on 13:17 - Feb 17 with 1877 viewsMatch82

Messi's penalty on 01:05 - Feb 17 by BrazilNutR

Funny you say that, that's exactly what's been happening. Neymar had been getting a lot of grief for it recently
http://www.101greatgoals.com/top-stories/neymar-tried-a-rainbow-flick-athletic-b
[Post edited 17 Feb 2016 13:19]
Messi's penalty on 15:01 - Feb 17 with 1824 viewspaulparker

Messi's penalty on 13:09 - Feb 17 by traininvain

In the last year they've coasted to winning La Liga, Champions League, World Club Cup etc.

In the process they regularly beat the likes of Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus etc.

I'm struggling to see what more they would need to do to prove they are the best team in the world by a country mile.

Suarez (pretty much alone) nearly won the Premiership for Liverpool. Barca have him, Neymar & Messi. Not to mention a host of World Cup & European Championship winners. They would absolutely p1ss the Premiership & any other league in the world.

not saying they are not a good team and that the players are not good players but all they have to do is beat Real two games a year to make sure they win the Spanish league , the CL is designed so they get into the last 16 like last year when the only completion they had was Bayern , then they had to face Juve who had that team played 20 years ago would never have got near a champions league final
the World club cup is a joke and is the equivalent of winning the charity shield
as for winning the prem they may well do, but p1ss it they wouldn't

im sorry but I don't agree we are living in this golden era of football,
its p1ss easy for teams like Real, Barca, City, PSG to win things now ,football now is made for the money clubs , that's why Messi sticking 3 past a hapless celta defence doesn't make me reach for the tissues

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Messi's penalty on 15:23 - Feb 17 with 1805 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Messi's penalty on 15:01 - Feb 17 by paulparker

not saying they are not a good team and that the players are not good players but all they have to do is beat Real two games a year to make sure they win the Spanish league , the CL is designed so they get into the last 16 like last year when the only completion they had was Bayern , then they had to face Juve who had that team played 20 years ago would never have got near a champions league final
the World club cup is a joke and is the equivalent of winning the charity shield

its p1ss easy for teams like Real, Barca, City, PSG to win things now ,football now is made for the money clubs , that's why Messi sticking 3 past a hapless celta defence doesn't make me reach for the tissues

I think there's a lot in what you say but I'm in no doubt that Barca from 2004-2016 are miles better than anything for decades before. In the list of European club winners only Ajax and Milan (briefly) would come close. The best English tea of my lifetime were Liverpool 87-88 and their glory was brief and fleeting and they never got a chance at the European Cup. Other English EC winners of my lifetime like Forest, Liverpool and Villa were pedestrian and monotonous by comparison.

I think you're right that the CL is uncompetitive during the group stages in particular, but then again I remember that a lot of the EC two-leg games were against rank poor oppo. Overall, it's my belief that the standard is much higher now but that TV and sponsorship money has unbalanced the scales towards the bigger clubs. Only Barca have rammed that unfair advantage home.

Messi's penalty on 15:35 - Feb 17 with 1788 viewstraininvain

Messi's penalty on 15:01 - Feb 17 by paulparker

Fair enough but can't help wonder who they would have to beat or what would they have to win for people to consider them a great team?

Btw, Real Madrid aren't even 2nd in La Liga at the moment. Athletico Madrid have outperformed them over the last few seasons.
Messi's penalty on 15:45 - Feb 17 with 1786 viewspaulparker

Messi's penalty on 15:23 - Feb 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I think there's a lot in what you say but I'm in no doubt that Barca from 2004-2016 are miles better than anything for decades before. In the list of European club winners only Ajax and Milan (briefly) would come close. The best English tea of my lifetime were Liverpool 87-88 and their glory was brief and fleeting and they never got a chance at the European Cup. Other English EC winners of my lifetime like Forest, Liverpool and Villa were pedestrian and monotonous by comparison.

I think you're right that the CL is uncompetitive during the group stages in particular, but then again I remember that a lot of the EC two-leg games were against rank poor oppo. Overall, it's my belief that the standard is much higher now but that TV and sponsorship money has unbalanced the scales towards the bigger clubs. Only Barca have rammed that unfair advantage home.

Messi is a good player and Barca are a good team Bri no doubt about it , the problem is they play in an exhibition league now, how many tough games do Barca play in a year 5 maybe 6 , IMHO you cannot compare them to the AC Milan team of the late eighties the Italian league then was the league to win , you had Napoli, Juve, Inter, Lazio, Roma , sampdoria all just behind them packed with great players , then you had the likes of red star, Marseille, Barca , Bayern, PSV, all in the old European cup
the big clubs then didn't always have the best players like now , football was tougher and 89-90 was probably the last great era of European football

going back to your point about the best English team you have seen the Liverpool team of 87/88 was good and it would have been interesting to see them in the European cup at the time I think they would have had a belting game against Milan then , but for me the Everton 85, man Utd 99-2001 and Arsenal team of 1998-2004 were the best teams ive seen in this country , still its all about opinions Bri

Messi's penalty on 16:39 - Feb 17 with 1763 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Messi's penalty on 15:45 - Feb 17 by paulparker

Messi is a good player and Barca are a good team Bri no doubt about it , the problem is they play in an exhibition league now, how many tough games do Barca play in a year 5 maybe 6 , IMHO you cannot compare them to the AC Milan team of the late eighties the Italian league then was the league to win , you had Napoli, Juve, Inter, Lazio, Roma , sampdoria all just behind them packed with great players , then you had the likes of red star, Marseille, Barca , Bayern, PSV, all in the old European cup
the big clubs then didn't always have the best players like now , football was tougher and 89-90 was probably the last great era of European football

going back to your point about the best English team you have seen the Liverpool team of 87/88 was good and it would have been interesting to see them in the European cup at the time I think they would have had a belting game against Milan then , but for me the Everton 85, man Utd 99-2001 and Arsenal team of 1998-2004 were the best teams ive seen in this country , still its all about opinions Bri

I agree completely, PP, about La Liga. What's more, it allows Barca to come into the CL rested.

Agree too about Milan and the tough league they had. That was a great era in Serie A. Of the other teams you mentioned, I think they were all good too, but - as you say - players were spread out so it was harder for a club to gather a great squad.

All fair points, PP.

Messi's penalty on 18:52 - Feb 21 with 1684 viewsterryb

Messi's penalty on 11:05 - Feb 15 by PinnerPaul

Only under very old interpretation, he's not in any way interfering with play when Suarez scores.

Only heard about this penalty today! I always wanted to take one like this but I couldn't get a team mate to agree to it!

Under the "old laws" he shouldn't have been offside as he should have been behind the ball. Very poor from Messi if he got goalside!

For those that mention that Suarez was in the area I have two questions.

1) When was the last time you saw a penalty taken without any players encroaching?

2) How many defenders were also in the penalty area?
[Post edited 21 Feb 2016 19:02]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024