Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messi's penalty 07:31 - Feb 15 with 13582 viewspaesanu

Since when has this been legal??

https://streamable.com/62m2

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Messi's penalty on 09:56 - Feb 15 with 2742 viewsQPR_John

Messi's penalty on 09:50 - Feb 15 by kingsburyR

The angle behind the goal shows he was a good yard inside when the ball was struck!

Missed that did not watch the video long enough

Another point under the old interpretation would Messi not have been off side when the goal was scored
[Post edited 15 Feb 2016 9:57]
Messi's penalty on 10:18 - Feb 15 with 2697 viewsJamie

Messi's penalty on 08:58 - Feb 15 by kingsburyR

Because of the circumstance.

Would they have done that against Real at 1-1???

Playing a poor team and rubbing it in!!!

Of course they wouldnt. But then they wouldn't have tried it at 1-1 last night either...

If they were 5-0 up against Real then you can bet Messi would try it, especially at the Bernabeu.
Messi's penalty on 10:18 - Feb 15 with 2697 viewspaesanu

Just saw this comment on the Guardian site..

If Manchester United tried that penalty, Rooney would pass to Martial, who'd then pass it to Carrick, then on to Smalling and back to De Gea.
...and then De Gea would lump it up to fellaini who would foul the defender giving the opposition a freekick.

Messi's penalty on 10:25 - Feb 15 with 2686 viewsPunteR

It actually makes the penalty harder to take Imo. Overcomplicates .

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Messi's penalty on 10:57 - Feb 15 with 2663 viewsdaveB

I thought it was brilliant

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/10167820/lionel-messi-and-luis-suar
[Post edited 15 Feb 2016 10:58]
Messi's penalty on 11:03 - Feb 15 with 2645 viewsPinnerPaul

Messi's penalty on 09:51 - Feb 15 by QPR_John

This does not make sense

a team-mate of the player taking the kick infringes the Laws of the Game:
the referee allows the kick to be taken
if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken
if the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and the match is restarted with an indirect free kick to the defending team from the place where the infringement occurred

Am I reading it wrong but it seems to say that if you miss, the infringement by your side is punished whereas if you score, while not given the goal, you can try again

You're right in a sense John, but that's really there for when ball rebounds and is back in play. for instance if ball hits post and kicker touches it again - referee will give FK to the defending team.
Messi's penalty on 11:05 - Feb 15 with 2641 viewsPinnerPaul

Messi's penalty on 09:56 - Feb 15 by QPR_John

Missed that did not watch the video long enough

Another point under the old interpretation would Messi not have been off side when the goal was scored
[Post edited 15 Feb 2016 9:57]

Only under very old interpretation, he's not in any way interfering with play when Suarez scores.
Messi's penalty on 11:24 - Feb 15 with 2607 viewsQPR_John

Messi's penalty on 11:05 - Feb 15 by PinnerPaul

Only under very old interpretation, he's not in any way interfering with play when Suarez scores.

In the six yard box a few feet from the keeper but modern times i suppose
Login to get fewer ads

Messi's penalty on 12:34 - Feb 15 with 2540 viewskropotkin41

Messi's penalty on 09:12 - Feb 15 by paulparker

Who cares?

That Spanish league isn't football , its like the Harlem Globetrotters playing exhibition games every week , where's the competition ?? the greed of Barca & Real have killed a once good league where you had Valencia , Deportivo, Sevilla all competing for the title, some of those leagues used to go right to the wire
yes Messi & Suarez are class, but you are essentially watching testimonial football , its dull as dishwater
id rather watch Aberdeen vs Dundee TBH

I agree that the Spanish league is boring, but to say you'd rather watch Aberdeen v Dundee!! I mean, come on! I actually watched that by accident in the pub the other week and it was dire. I seriously could not believe that this was the team second in the SPL. Not a word of a lie, I have seen better footballing spectacles at Carmarthen Town than that.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Messi's penalty on 13:52 - Feb 15 with 2490 viewswombat

Messi's penalty on 08:30 - Feb 15 by johncharles

How about a penalty shoot out ? Is that a different kind of penalty ? Should we have penalty A and Penalty B ?

long as the ball goes forward not sideways its legal, and no you cant do the same thing in a penalty shoot out as its one player against the goal keeper

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Messi's penalty on 14:02 - Feb 15 with 2468 viewsheadhoops

plus the fact in a penalty shoot out the player coming on too the ball would have to run from the halfway line - naturally thats when we would try it.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Messi's penalty on 14:02 - Feb 15 with 2468 viewspaulparker

Messi's penalty on 12:34 - Feb 15 by kropotkin41

I agree that the Spanish league is boring, but to say you'd rather watch Aberdeen v Dundee!! I mean, come on! I actually watched that by accident in the pub the other week and it was dire. I seriously could not believe that this was the team second in the SPL. Not a word of a lie, I have seen better footballing spectacles at Carmarthen Town than that.

perhaps im a saddo but if im at home and its West ham vs Villa on one channel & Aberdeen vs Celtic on the other I would watch the Scottish game
I quite like some of the Scottish teams the Heart vs Hibs games was very good last weekend
yes the standard isn't brilliant but give me a bit of honesty, a few young players and a few over the hill players , hard tackles, muddy pitches etc it beats this Harlem globetrotters /fifa generation crap we are sitting through now as football fans

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Messi's penalty on 14:08 - Feb 15 with 2460 viewsJuzzie

Messi's penalty on 08:12 - Feb 15 by QPR_John

When was it not legal. A penalty is a direct free kick.

A penalty is a direct free kick but doesn't mean it has to be, you can pass to someone first.
Messi's penalty on 14:40 - Feb 15 with 2431 viewswombat

Messi's penalty on 14:08 - Feb 15 by Juzzie

A penalty is a direct free kick but doesn't mean it has to be, you can pass to someone first.

if you watch the replay im sure jaws is already in the box when messi hits the ball so penalty shouldnt have stood anyway due to him being in the box when the balls hit.
its in no more bad sportsman ship than john gregroy beckoning in the birmingham players as he put the ball slowly other the line many moons ago

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Messi's penalty on 14:46 - Feb 15 with 2423 viewsQPR_John

Messi's penalty on 14:08 - Feb 15 by Juzzie

I know that is what I said
Messi's penalty on 14:56 - Feb 15 with 2184 viewsJuzzie

Messi's penalty on 14:46 - Feb 15 by QPR_John

I know that is what I said

I know. I was just adding to your comment that you also have the option to pass.

Personally , for a penalty I think it's just taking the piss and disrespectful to the opposition.
Messi's penalty on 16:54 - Feb 15 with 2132 viewspaesanu

Messi's penalty on 14:02 - Feb 15 by headhoops

plus the fact in a penalty shoot out the player coming on too the ball would have to run from the halfway line - naturally thats when we would try it.

So in a penalty shootout, there's an FA law where all other players must stand behind the halfway line?

If not, then it could be sudden death, and you have your team-mate next to you... and you can bluff the keeper whether you'tr going to shoot it or pass it.

Messi's penalty on 16:59 - Feb 15 with 2128 viewsstonebridgers

Are the rules not different for a penalty shoot out other wise if the keeper saves it why does the penalty kick taker not score from the rebound.

Stonebridgers

Messi's penalty on 17:28 - Feb 15 with 2106 viewsjonno

Messi's penalty on 16:59 - Feb 15 by stonebridgers

Are the rules not different for a penalty shoot out other wise if the keeper saves it why does the penalty kick taker not score from the rebound.

Yes they are, and anyway penalties in a shootout are not given for an offence.
Messi's penalty on 19:46 - Feb 15 with 2051 viewspaesanu

Messi's penalty on 16:59 - Feb 15 by stonebridgers

Makes sense

Messi's penalty on 20:30 - Feb 15 with 2010 viewsNorthernr

Messi's penalty on 08:34 - Feb 15 by bosh67

Can you imagine us trying that?

There'd be a death toll
Messi's penalty on 21:02 - Feb 15 with 1977 viewsbillericaydicky

Messi's penalty on 08:34 - Feb 15 by bosh67

Can you imagine us trying that?

'Penalty to Rangers...up steps Junior Hoilett who taps it sideways to the on-rushing Seb Polter who's first touch stabs the ball out of play for a goal kick...'
Messi's penalty on 21:04 - Feb 15 with 1974 viewsClive_Anderson

"Since when has this been legal?? "

I assume you're referring to the commentary. Sounds like me after 10 pints, except the Geordie bit.

Agree with PaulParker (as usual) that the Spanish league is becoming a walkover for the top 2-3 teams. Barcelona and Real Madrid finished with +89 and +80 goal difference last season. Even Celtic only managed +67 last time.

Same deal in Portugal the top three win every week and supporters of former decent sized teams just don't bother turning up at all anymore. There's more away supporters than home by about 4:1 when the big teams turn up these days.
Messi's penalty on 23:41 - Feb 15 with 1902 viewslondonscottish

Messi's penalty on 10:18 - Feb 15 by paesanu

Just saw this comment on the Guardian site..

If Manchester United tried that penalty, Rooney would pass to Martial, who'd then pass it to Carrick, then on to Smalling and back to De Gea.
...and then De Gea would lump it up to fellaini who would foul the defender giving the opposition a freekick.

Excellent

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Messi's penalty on 08:27 - Feb 16 with 1865 viewsElHoop

Messi's penalty on 09:12 - Feb 15 by paulparker

Who cares?

That Spanish league isn't football , its like the Harlem Globetrotters playing exhibition games every week , where's the competition ?? the greed of Barca & Real have killed a once good league where you had Valencia , Deportivo, Sevilla all competing for the title, some of those leagues used to go right to the wire
yes Messi & Suarez are class, but you are essentially watching testimonial football , its dull as dishwater
id rather watch Aberdeen vs Dundee TBH

Yeah but come on, they've pretty much given up bullfighting. Somebody else has to get massacred in the name of entertainment - Barca and Real are the new toreadors. A stupid looking penalty is just a wave of the cape in a different direction.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024