Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France 14:48 - Feb 17 with 6098 viewsA40Bosh

We were thinking that we could not afford a foreign holiday this year but at the same time my Mrs does not want me to end up in Cork, moaning as usual about the weather and us only ever leaving the mother-in-laws to go "up to Cork" to walk around the shops.

A mate at work has a private appartment down near the Spanish border near Argeles-Sur-Mer, inland but only 40min drive from lovely beaches and has said that we can use it for the grand sum of €25 to cover electricity cost for two weeks.

Other than pilgrimages to Lourdes many years ago neither of us have ever holidayed "en France" and the idea of driving down on the cheap for 14-16 days appeals.

Does anyone have any recent experience of driving from Calais through France to the extreme edges of the sth east towards Barcelona and how to break up the journey and the sort of places we should try and book or avoid on the way down?

Merci

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 15:16 - Feb 17 with 4791 viewsKonk

Can’t help you with driving advice, but did a bit of travelling round there one Summer, and you’re just up the road from Collioure, which is a lovely little coastal town — went camping there and stayed next to a beautiful cove that was great for swimming. If you want a bigger town for days out/eating etc, then I really liked Perpignan, and if you’re itching for something else, Carcassonne is probably about 1.5 hours from there (?).

Friendly locals and a great part of the world.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 15:31 - Feb 17 with 4751 viewsadhoc_qpr

I've done it once, we basically stayed overnight in a hotel in Calais then went over to Reims for a night and a day (Mrs wanted to go to a Champagne house), then down to Avignon.

It was long but not too bad driving wise, although the motorway tolls add up, so make sure you take that into account.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 15:35 - Feb 17 with 4743 viewsToast_R

My cousin has a holiday place in the Town of Jonzac which is about 100km from Bordeaux in the Cognac region. As a Wedding gift she let my wife and I stay there for a week in 2014. Beautiful place.

We flew Easyjet from Gatwick to Bordeaux and then hired a car for the week. That worked out well, the car hire prices are very reasonable from the Airport if you book online. Sure beats driving from North to South. The roads in France are really great, so easy to drive on but they do enjoy a Toll though.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 15:38 - Feb 17 with 4739 viewshopphoops

I'd avoid Calais if possible, take a boat from Portsmouth to Caen or Le Havre, it'll save the hassle of getting round Paris and give you over 100 miles less driving.

If you get a night ferry you could probably do it in a day, I've just taken a van from Le Havre to Geneva non-stop, it's easy enough if you have company.

Otherwise you could stop a night in the Loire Valley, or in this place, sitting in a tree watching wild boar snuffling about while you eat their cousin for dinner above them.
http://www.lescabanesdechanteclair.com/

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 16:30 - Feb 17 with 4695 viewsMrSheen

I'm not sure if it still exists, but I used to like staying on the way at places out of Alastair Sawday's guide. He has private houses in the country in the middle of nowhere where you are served a dinner and wine by the owners, together with whoever else is staying. It used to be a real highlight of the holiday.

Don't drive down via Lyon on weekends when the Dutch are on the move to Spain and the French to the Cote d'Azur, you won't break 20 mph. And never go into a service station at lunchtime in Summer, its just horrible. Going via Normandy and down the west side of the country was always easier.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 17:24 - Feb 17 with 4640 viewsA40Bosh

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 16:30 - Feb 17 by MrSheen

I'm not sure if it still exists, but I used to like staying on the way at places out of Alastair Sawday's guide. He has private houses in the country in the middle of nowhere where you are served a dinner and wine by the owners, together with whoever else is staying. It used to be a real highlight of the holiday.

Don't drive down via Lyon on weekends when the Dutch are on the move to Spain and the French to the Cote d'Azur, you won't break 20 mph. And never go into a service station at lunchtime in Summer, its just horrible. Going via Normandy and down the west side of the country was always easier.

Great comment guys, thanks
Keep them coming

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 17:29 - Feb 17 with 4629 viewsBoston

You know they speak French there, right?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 17:40 - Feb 17 with 4607 viewsA40Bosh

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 17:29 - Feb 17 by Boston

You know they speak French there, right?

Mais oui d'accord

Login to get fewer ads

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 17:48 - Feb 17 with 4592 viewsRamseyR

You could also take a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao in northern Spain, and then drive across the Pyrenees, taking in maybe Pamplona on the way.

If coming from the north, another vote from me for Carcasonne in SE France. Cracking place to spend a day or two. Also close by is the Gorges de Galamus if you like stunning roads/scenery.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 17:49 - Feb 17 with 4593 viewsHantsR

I've often driven in France and go from Pompey (only 30 mins from chez moi) to Caen or Le Havre. Otherwise St Malo is an interesting and attractive place to stay if you want to go that route.

Brittany Ferries now do a cheap 'no frills' service that they took over from DFDS. I always go overnight en route to France and you disembark quite early so can get quite a long way down France - e.g. Dordogne by early afternoon. Recommend looking at Chambres d'hote for any overnight stay.

Remember there are some odd rules about driving in France apart from driving on the right (or is it left?) You are supposed to have a high-vis jacket, spare light bulbs and a breathalyser kit - apart from the usual red triangle etc. Sorry if this is telling granny, eggs etc., but you also need to adapt your headlights with a patch you get from Halfords. This caused me and the ford garage much head-scratching because my car has adaptive headlights that are best fixed by taking the headlamp off and switching them with a manual lever from left to right - in the end I read that this wasn't necessary.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 17:56 - Feb 17 with 4573 viewschris1969

We regularly do this trip to campsites in the area and doing it again in July. Calais - Paris - Clemont Ferrand is the quickest but you have to time it right. Hit Paris around 7pm one year and it was a nightmare. We have family nr Poitiers so we stop off there to break the journey.

Calais - Rouen - Tours

I suggest an early start and getting as far past Paris as possible with an overnight stop. Most of the Motels have ajoining restaurant chains. The long boat crossings save a few miles but add time and cost more than any savings on fuel.

Lovely part of rustic France with fantastic beaches, wine and food.

If you PM me more than happy to answer any questions.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 19:34 - Feb 17 with 4500 viewsBrightonhoop

Two things, as mentioned above Dover-Calais is a nightmare go via Newhaven or Pompey instead. If you must drive through France.

I would take the ferry to Santander/Bilbao in northern Spain simply because petrol in France is very expensive, and by the time you have factored in Tolls, accomodation and the Gendarme trying to fleece you of your holiday cash before you reach your destination (yes but your flourescent jacket has not got a flourescent jacket has it?! 250 Euros sil vou plais) you might as well bolt your costs down on the Bilbao 24 hour boater and get on the lash early doors.

When you get off in Spain, fill up with petrol, it is about 30% cheaper than France, buy fags if you smoke at 4 euros a pack, and stock up with vino in any supermarket for around 3 euros a bottle.

Then, there is a beautiful drive north over the Pyrenees that takes you through an almost abandoned border posting that consists of a rotten wooden shack and two petrol pumps, you only know you've crossed the boarder because the language on the road signs changes and go to your destination that way.

The costs aren't that different, saves putting the miles on the car, all the aggro and risks of fines etc etc and puts you slap bang into the Basque country bordering France. I will try and find that route for you over the Pyrenees, it is something to behold, like one of lifes must do's. As others have mentioned Avignon is a bit special, and Barcelona is worth a visit, as is Figueres for the Dali museum and Girona too north of Barcelona.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 19:58 - Feb 17 with 4469 viewsNorthernr

Parents have a place halfway between Biaritz and San Seb. Given the tolls on the roads and petrol I'd say fly and rent. We've flown to Biaritz, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Dax and Perpignan either for that or for rugby league and you can get flight for 30 quid and car hire relatively cheaply v v easily.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 20:50 - Feb 17 with 4417 viewsYorkRanger

Did a few keycamp holidays a few years back around the Vendee and Biarritz. Always got the fastcraft from Portsmouth to Caen or Le Havre. Crossed in about 2.5 hours and easy access to drive down through the west of France
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 21:25 - Feb 17 with 4376 viewschris1969

Factor in about 100 Euro e/w in tolls and it's under £1 a litre right now.

Tip - You will not appreciate France on the toll roads but come off at Carcassonne and take the A roads for final part of journey. Also Petrol is 15p more expensive on Paege so fill up in towns if possible.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 22:21 - Feb 17 with 4319 viewsA40Bosh

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 21:25 - Feb 17 by chris1969

Factor in about 100 Euro e/w in tolls and it's under £1 a litre right now.

Tip - You will not appreciate France on the toll roads but come off at Carcassonne and take the A roads for final part of journey. Also Petrol is 15p more expensive on Paege so fill up in towns if possible.

Cheers Chris.

reading all the comments and other websites, and bearing in mind we are being given a private residence for free for as long as we want it, I think it is going to work out cheaper for a family of 5 (the 3 girls are all teens now) if we take our own car as we will probably end up taking our own sheets and towels as well as luggage.

Will probably look to come in on the Eurotunnel and then head towards Rouen and then by pass Paris to the west and head down toward Chartres and then Clermont Ferrand (it would be nice to say you have driven over the tallest bridge in the world at Millau) and then head south eastwards to Perpignan which is the nearest City to where we have the offer of staying.

Just got to work out where to stay on route and balance cost vs not staying in a totally souless concrete motorway hotel and the same on the way back up. Don't even mind if we can get good deals taking 2 days via the scenic routes with two stoppovers.

No decisions made yet so any more advice gratefully accepted - always amazes me the amount of non Rangers related info you can get on here from everyone!!!

Thanks everyone.

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 22:51 - Feb 17 with 4287 viewslondonscottish

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 22:21 - Feb 17 by A40Bosh

Cheers Chris.

reading all the comments and other websites, and bearing in mind we are being given a private residence for free for as long as we want it, I think it is going to work out cheaper for a family of 5 (the 3 girls are all teens now) if we take our own car as we will probably end up taking our own sheets and towels as well as luggage.

Will probably look to come in on the Eurotunnel and then head towards Rouen and then by pass Paris to the west and head down toward Chartres and then Clermont Ferrand (it would be nice to say you have driven over the tallest bridge in the world at Millau) and then head south eastwards to Perpignan which is the nearest City to where we have the offer of staying.

Just got to work out where to stay on route and balance cost vs not staying in a totally souless concrete motorway hotel and the same on the way back up. Don't even mind if we can get good deals taking 2 days via the scenic routes with two stoppovers.

No decisions made yet so any more advice gratefully accepted - always amazes me the amount of non Rangers related info you can get on here from everyone!!!

Thanks everyone.

Hi mate, I've done the drive loads and have also flown planty. Horses for courses but driving is fine if you break the journey half way.

Have you thought about Air BnB - lots of decent options to choose from there.

FWIW I'd also recommend the autoroutes. Unless it's one of the big August weekends you can make good progress on them (85-90 all day long) with minimal hassle.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 23:03 - Feb 17 with 4277 viewsderbyhoop

I've got a place halfway between Poitiers and Limoges. We always go Portsmouth - Caen on the overnight route, having tried most of the other cross Channel routes. You have to book a cabin but, if you can get 6-7 hours sleep, it may be a lot easier to drive the French side in 1 day, especially if you have 2 drivers.

What it costs you on the ferry has to be balanced against the extra distance and cost of driving from Calais. It depends where you live in the UK but, as a guide, Derby - house works out at 450 miles, whereas Dover Calais would be nearer 700. And you'll save on the peage tolls. Something else re Motorway tolls, is to have a look at Liber-T who do a tag, allowing you to get through without scrabbling around for coins and/or cards.

Others have suggested flights but, in the Summer holidays that may prove expensive if you have to pay for 5 adults. There will be many options.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 23:40 - Feb 17 with 4248 viewsMrSheen

Cheers Chris.

Thanks everyone.

Good plan to go from Calais via Rouen, that motorway is empty and you can scream down there in less time than it would take to go by Le Havre. Don't go by Cherbourg, it's a long crossing and you'll think you're never getting off that peninsula.

One of the frustrations of rural France is that it has the reputation as the home of gastronomie, but a lot of towns don't seem to have any restaurants left at all, leaving you in a tearing panic to make the next place on the road before the universal closing time of 1.30 (or 1.20, if they think they've earned enough that day). If you want lunch, stop early, and accept that it might not be the greatest experience of your life - though you might be lucky. You can see that economic hard times have bitten there for a long time by the lack of purchasing power (restaurants have to offer poor 4-course menus for e12 rather than two decent courses for e15) and services in big areas of la France Profonde. Different story on the coast.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 00:17 - Feb 18 with 4226 viewsHooparoo

My brother has a unit in Bordeaux so we've stayed there several times. Known for world class wines of course but there is so much more to the city than wine. Rue St Catherine is Europe's longest shopping street and the waterfront markets are the best I've seen anywhere in the world. The Bordeaux Tourist office is very good and they can give you info on the entire area.

If you get to enjoy dinner there try "Brasserie Bordelaise" for a good value example of traditional southern French dishes. For a drink - "Bar au Vin" is right across the road from the tourist office where you can try a huge selection of wines from the region including the classic Grand Crus for a reasonable price.

Hope you have a great time. Bon voyage! 🍷

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 00:18 - Feb 18 with 4225 viewschris1969

Folkestone - Calais Eurotunnel book early for around £150 rtn. Pretty amazing journey when no delays but obviously need to factor in busy periods. DO NOT TRAVEL on the 2nd weekend in Aug. Been stuck in 5hr jams before and watched french families have lunch on the roadside and play a game of boules without the car moving a foot/30cms.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 00:53 - Feb 18 with 4213 viewsPunteR

Interesting thread.
We're travelling to Dordogne in the summer, via ferry from Dover to Calais then driving the rest,stopping at Le Mans halfway at a BB
Staying at Eurocamp. Looking forward to it.
I couldn't believe some of the ferry prices though. We looked at leaving from Portsmouth and travelling through the night but was working out about £600-£700.
The ferry to Calais is the cheapest option(£160 return) even with the BB.
The other shocker about holidays in France is you have to wear Budgie smugglers if your going swimming in the pool. Speedos it is then.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 06:17 - Feb 18 with 4163 viewsstinkydad

Cheers Chris.

Thanks everyone.

I drove almost this exact journey about 18 months ago. Eurotunnel and Calais were just fine. We stayed overnight once only in Rouen.

I found this website to be very useful in planning the journey - http://about-france.com/index.htm
It shows how to avoid a lot of the tolls with minimal delays.

I also registered with Sanef and ordered a tag for my car. This allows you to just drive straight through the toll gates and you get charged for the journey at a later date. There is a small extra cost for this but I found it totally worth it for the convenience.

We completed the return journey in a single day but we shared the driving so it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't recommend it if you are the sole driver.
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 07:54 - Feb 18 with 4103 viewsGaryT

Calais - Rouen - Chartres - Clermont Ferrand - Perpignan is the route to go having researched it and done it a few times (and recommended by lorry drivers). Like Paris, avoid Rouen at 7pm, total gridlock but other than that, plain sailing on fairly empty motorways.

If you are crossing the Pyrenees in winter you'll need to take some snow chains with you but even in January, the roads are kept nice and clear. Keep the high viz jacket in the glove box, getting out of the car to fetch it from the boot can get you fined...for not wearing a high viz jacket. Gotta love the French police.

Can't help on places to stay as I tend to shoot through in a day to Barcelona.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 7:56]
Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 08:39 - Feb 18 with 4060 viewslondonscottish

Non-QPR: Driving to the very South of France on 00:53 - Feb 18 by PunteR

Interesting thread.
We're travelling to Dordogne in the summer, via ferry from Dover to Calais then driving the rest,stopping at Le Mans halfway at a BB
Staying at Eurocamp. Looking forward to it.
I couldn't believe some of the ferry prices though. We looked at leaving from Portsmouth and travelling through the night but was working out about £600-£700.
The ferry to Calais is the cheapest option(£160 return) even with the BB.
The other shocker about holidays in France is you have to wear Budgie smugglers if your going swimming in the pool. Speedos it is then.

You can get away with short swimming shorts.

It's the surf short/cargo pants thing they don't like for some reason I don't really understand.

Although it's spreading - last year I was told off in the Willesden Sports Centre for the same thing.

Odd when surfers get to wear them in 80 foot waves in the Atlantic.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024