Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview 22:52 - Feb 25 with 13054 viewsNorthernr

So, yeh, we interviewed Tony Fernandes this week as well. And here it is...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/42132
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 14:40 - Feb 26 with 1792 viewsPinnerPaul

The one that stood out for me was "it won't be 30%" (increase) - hmmmm interesting that all the official bumph says it WILL be?
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 14:49 - Feb 26 with 1777 viewsdaveB

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 14:32 - Feb 26 by QPRDave

Many a times he says winning isn't important.
Well Warnock & Redknapp gave me my best QPR memories ever, does that not mean everything to him?....I'm asking you as you seem to be his "virtual world wife"

I'm more his bit on the side than his wife
[Post edited 26 Feb 2016 14:50]
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 14:59 - Feb 26 with 1746 viewsHunterhoop

Well done, Clive. Good interview, good range of topics covered.

To be fair, my first response on reading that were that his answers were, by and large, good and encouraging....and I say that as a strong critic of him.

However, it's very easy to blame others who are no longer here (which he's doing). It's also easy to say the right things (with hindsight, ironically) when he didn't do the right things at the times (even if it was "difficult").

Ultimately, though, this is what I/we want him to be saying AND doing. The proof will be in the pudding with the latter of those though. Do I have confidence based on his previous actions? No, of course not. But, other than his failure to out rightly renounce his use to Tw*tter, this is surely what we want to hear?

As an aside, one person who clearly gets absolutely panned by TF in that interview, if you even read a little between the lines, is the grand Con Master himself, old 'Arry. Our concerns about what HR wanted to get up to are confirmed by TF, if you believe him.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 15:08 - Feb 26 with 1725 viewsdaveB

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 14:59 - Feb 26 by Hunterhoop

Well done, Clive. Good interview, good range of topics covered.

To be fair, my first response on reading that were that his answers were, by and large, good and encouraging....and I say that as a strong critic of him.

However, it's very easy to blame others who are no longer here (which he's doing). It's also easy to say the right things (with hindsight, ironically) when he didn't do the right things at the times (even if it was "difficult").

Ultimately, though, this is what I/we want him to be saying AND doing. The proof will be in the pudding with the latter of those though. Do I have confidence based on his previous actions? No, of course not. But, other than his failure to out rightly renounce his use to Tw*tter, this is surely what we want to hear?

As an aside, one person who clearly gets absolutely panned by TF in that interview, if you even read a little between the lines, is the grand Con Master himself, old 'Arry. Our concerns about what HR wanted to get up to are confirmed by TF, if you believe him.

He's done the same each time, always the previous fellas fault, all down to Hughes when we went down and Redknapp was flavour of the month then digging Redknapp out when he wanted kids to be played. He is not daft he knows the majority of fans turned on Hughes and Redknapp so is going to have little digs at them now to get us onside. He backed both of them till the very end though. In a years time he'll be making similar comments about JFH and Ferdinand wanting to do the opposite to what he wanted to do.

I find his comments on twitter scary, he does far more good and reaches out to far more people in an interview like this where you can add some context to your comments rather than 140 characters which can be read a million different ways.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 15:27 - Feb 26 with 1664 viewsHunterhoop

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 15:08 - Feb 26 by daveB

He's done the same each time, always the previous fellas fault, all down to Hughes when we went down and Redknapp was flavour of the month then digging Redknapp out when he wanted kids to be played. He is not daft he knows the majority of fans turned on Hughes and Redknapp so is going to have little digs at them now to get us onside. He backed both of them till the very end though. In a years time he'll be making similar comments about JFH and Ferdinand wanting to do the opposite to what he wanted to do.

I find his comments on twitter scary, he does far more good and reaches out to far more people in an interview like this where you can add some context to your comments rather than 140 characters which can be read a million different ways.

Agree with all that, Dave.

Just saying, what he's actually "said" in this interview is what we want. Whether he'll actually do any of it, is a separate matter. Whether he'll be blaming Les and JFH and Ramsey for failing in a few years, is, again, another matter But at least what he's saying is the right stuff (apart from his lack of denouncing Tw*tter). Better than him basically saying he'd done nothing wrong and saying we need to sign some big players to push on, which is sadly what a lot of idiots and children on social media keep saying.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 15:30 - Feb 26 with 1662 viewsdaveB

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 15:27 - Feb 26 by Hunterhoop

Agree with all that, Dave.

Just saying, what he's actually "said" in this interview is what we want. Whether he'll actually do any of it, is a separate matter. Whether he'll be blaming Les and JFH and Ramsey for failing in a few years, is, again, another matter But at least what he's saying is the right stuff (apart from his lack of denouncing Tw*tter). Better than him basically saying he'd done nothing wrong and saying we need to sign some big players to push on, which is sadly what a lot of idiots and children on social media keep saying.

I agree it's a great interview and he says all the right things but I'm at the heard it all before stage with him now and will believe it when i see a shovel go in the ground at Warren Farm
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:02 - Feb 26 with 1607 viewsloftus77

Thanks very much for this, Clive. Top interview and well-timed.

I think it kind of confirms what most of us think — Tony’s heart appears to be in the right place on Rangers and he has re-iterated that he and the board are here for the long-term which has to be a good thing.

Might have been worth trying to pin him down even more on what success would look like to him in, say, 5 years time. Also, it would have been good to get something specific about if/when FFP will lead to a transfer embargo, which I think concerns some of us next season.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:08 - Feb 26 with 1587 viewsPinnerPaul

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:02 - Feb 26 by loftus77

Thanks very much for this, Clive. Top interview and well-timed.

I think it kind of confirms what most of us think — Tony’s heart appears to be in the right place on Rangers and he has re-iterated that he and the board are here for the long-term which has to be a good thing.

Might have been worth trying to pin him down even more on what success would look like to him in, say, 5 years time. Also, it would have been good to get something specific about if/when FFP will lead to a transfer embargo, which I think concerns some of us next season.

Thought he had answered that or we can work out?

For 13/14 if found "guilty" transfer embargo would be immediate I would have thought.

This season's accounts not out until this time next year at earliest so no transfer embargo re this season if we fail FFP, which he denies we will - until at least summer 17.
Login to get fewer ads

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:22 - Feb 26 with 1565 viewsqprphil

If you employ a proven manager at any level, ( football related or not ) you take his advice, especially if it is something you are not able to do yourself. They all told him the same story, and he listened every time, spending millions in the process. He is the best thing that has happened at QPR, all you moaners, and anti TF fans just think where we might be today. The man is trying his hardest to make a success of this club, is there anyone else at this point in time, I doubt it.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:25 - Feb 26 with 1559 viewsdaveB

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:22 - Feb 26 by qprphil

If you employ a proven manager at any level, ( football related or not ) you take his advice, especially if it is something you are not able to do yourself. They all told him the same story, and he listened every time, spending millions in the process. He is the best thing that has happened at QPR, all you moaners, and anti TF fans just think where we might be today. The man is trying his hardest to make a success of this club, is there anyone else at this point in time, I doubt it.

I'm not anti Tony Fernandes but where would we be without him? Well if he made made the opposite decision to every decision he's made since he came to the club I think we'd be an established premier league club now
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:27 - Feb 26 with 1550 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I lost confidence in this bloke years ago, so unless told otherwise, may I assume he's trotting out the same old Tony Pony i.e. lessons learned, infrastructure is getting into place, belief in those he's appointed and we're on a much better footing now than at any stage since Adam ate the apple?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:27 - Feb 26 with 1548 viewsPinnerPaul

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:25 - Feb 26 by daveB

I'm not anti Tony Fernandes but where would we be without him? Well if he made made the opposite decision to every decision he's made since he came to the club I think we'd be an established premier league club now

Interesting theory - what exactly is the "opposite" to a Mark Hughes!
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:28 - Feb 26 with 1541 viewsqprphil

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:25 - Feb 26 by daveB

So if you were the employer Dave, are you saying you wouldn't have listened to those very experienced managers.?
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:35 - Feb 26 with 1525 viewsdaveB

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:28 - Feb 26 by qprphil

So if you were the employer Dave, are you saying you wouldn't have listened to those very experienced managers.?

I wouldn't have hired them to start with. If the plan all along was to build an academy, sign from lower leagues etc then I'd have hired a manager who would want to do that.

Hiring Redknapp and then moaning that he wouldn't bring kids through and just wanted to spend on big names is hilarious, like hiring a gardener and moaning that he never washed your car
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:36 - Feb 26 with 1524 viewsdaveB

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:27 - Feb 26 by PinnerPaul

Interesting theory - what exactly is the "opposite" to a Mark Hughes!

not sacking Warnock
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 17:31 - Feb 26 with 1468 viewsBrightonhoop

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 08:31 - Feb 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Ill be hone - I didn't bother watching his Sky interview, and I haven't bothered commenting on his latest pitiful tweets. But I had to read this as I knew you'd ask the questions that needed to be asked, Clive.

And you didn't disappoint.

I desperately want Fernandes & Co. to succeed here. Not because I adore them, but because if they fail our very best scenario is a sale to God knows who, the likely scenario is that we are sold wither in debt or stripped of assets such as Loftus Road. So there isn't a single fibre of my being that wants them to struggle.

So I take no joy in asking these two questions -

1) if Fernandes can't or won't see that his 'promotion is everything' outburst so destabilised the entire club, then aren't we looking at a man who probably won't change because primarily he fails the to see the need to change?

2) Seeing as both men had visions of taking an underperforming club, improving its infrastructure, making millions/billions for the club and themselves, and - just as importantly - keeping their individual profiles as high as the club's, am I wrong in thinking of Fernandes and being reminded of Ken Bates?

On the first point Brian yes, probably, I doubt TF sees the need to change, and if he did wouldn't admit to it anyway lol We're all boys stuck in mens bodies.

On the second point, Fernandes has his faults, as we all do, but Ken Bates was an 'orrible little knut no doubt born of the devils spawn and owned the biggest knut Club in world history ever.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 17:52 - Feb 26 with 1454 viewsBrightonhoop

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 13:54 - Feb 26 by PinnerPaul

If I can offer some constructive criticism - you DID repeat several questions or asked about the same subject in a slightly different way.

The training ground questions near the end are identical and he had already mentioned it earlier in the interview in any case.

The now infamous "promotion" quote doesn't bother me as much as you and others, maybe that's just me ,but did it need 4 questions on that subject?

FFP - he said we were compliant this season, then you asked again?

Agree wth what others have said about him repeating himself from previous interviews but that's because maybe people keep asking the same questions?

Don't want to sound churlish and very good that you got an interview at all.

Cheers

I dont think it was churlish or a point laboured, it's an interview tactic to head off a thorny subject by mentioning it first in a different context to take the wind out of an interviewers direction.
The point was that TF had made a point of not raising expectations, painting a picture of consolidation and making the right noises but then went hell for leather about possibilities for promotion that from a supporters view point left Chris Ramsey out to hang. How the fck? And with what? In which direction are we travelling a infinitum etc etc.

Looking back, as TF also does as a tactic I hate, using the cheesy old 'hindsight' comment/tactic, TF is right, if he had not said we were capable and should try, especially with a £90 Mil prize money, supporters would have slaughtered him too and players would wonder wtf they had signed up to.

The real point is and remains leave Twitter alone, it's a heap of shyte going nowhere and drags users into sewers and swamps they were never meant to be.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 18:26 - Feb 26 with 1428 viewsqprphil

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:35 - Feb 26 by daveB

I wouldn't have hired them to start with. If the plan all along was to build an academy, sign from lower leagues etc then I'd have hired a manager who would want to do that.

Hiring Redknapp and then moaning that he wouldn't bring kids through and just wanted to spend on big names is hilarious, like hiring a gardener and moaning that he never washed your car

The plan Tony had, and the plan the others had were totally different. He was probably persuaded by each of them to trust them, and why not, there credentials were good. If we had Jose, or Ferguson, LVG, Bilic, Keoman, the list is endless. I am not saying they wouldn't have got it right, what I am saying is, he would have trusted there judgement. I saw no reason to trust that with Warnock, but Hughes and Redknapp, why not. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, there was not much moaning at the start of that season when Hughes was signing all those players, people were revelling at it. I know we didn't, but we could have finished in the top five, then everyone would be saying what a masterstroke that was signing them players. I do get your points though Dave, I just try to look at the bigger picture, mistakes were made all over the place, but none were set in stone to fail.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 18:34 - Feb 26 with 1420 viewsterryb

Thanks very much Clive.

Perhaps I missed anyone else raising the quoted 30% increase in ST prices if not renewed by the end of March.

Why was this quoted by the club if TF is correct in stating that this will never happen? It seemed a very strange reply to me. Is he saying that he wasn't aware that the club had told us this would be the case, or is he intimating that they have realised their mistake?

I'm pleased that this will be discussed with supporters. Let's hope that they listen properly!
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 19:45 - Feb 26 with 1363 viewsAddinall

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 16:22 - Feb 26 by qprphil

Thank goodness there is one positive response on here.If I've missed one or two from earlier I apologise.If I were the person interviewed, and read most of the stuff on here,I wouldn't bother again

I'm not on twitter.Surely if you don't like his comments the simple thing is either not bother
reading them or ignore them.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 21:55 - Feb 26 with 1291 viewsDorse

Great interview but we still have no idea about his favourite cheese, views on flat-roofed pubs or favourite Frankie Knuckles track.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 22:37 - Feb 26 with 1263 viewsIngham

Yeah, great thread, excellent interview by Clive, and quality posts from Neil, FredMan, Brian and others too numerous to mention.

Puzzling though.

At QPR, when we need a quality manager, or quality players, why is it the case that we just get someone who knows nothing about them, but who has any number of OPINIONS about these things? I know lawyers aren't exactly popular, but nonetheless, if you feel you need one, do you hire a qualified member of the profession? Someone with a track record of doing this kind of work? And an indemnity fund behind him so if he screws it up, HE'S out of pocket (or his insurers are). Not you.

Or do you get someone isn't a lawyer, but merely dislikes them.

The world is full of people who don't like them. Just as the world is full of people with opinions about football. We have tens of thousands of them supporting QPR. Those thousands of supporters can do the opinions. There are far more of them, their combined intelligence, understanding of the game, and of QPR, is many millions of times that of any member of any 'Board of Directors', and their views don't cripple the Club if they're found to be inadequate, uninformed, misconceived.

If the Club has a leaky tap, why does it end up, not with a plumber, who knows how to fix it, but someone who has no idea how to do so, but who spends YEARS telling us how difficult it has all been for HIM. How the Club just doesn't have enough money, when what is needed is a householder with the nous to turn the water off at the mains until SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN turns up who knows how to FIX THE PROBLEM.

No doubt the lack of money has something to do with all these leaky taps. And all the people doing legal and accounting and other work who, naturally, have no qualifications or experience.

Maybe that is the logic of it. The Club gets people who are adept at CREATING chaos, because what is GENERATED by the chaos is actually OWNED by the people who create it. Whether it is in the form of debt, or, if the latest story is to be believed, in the form of shares, which, while they will be a liability to the Club if the next owner must spend vast sums acquiring them, remain an ASSET to the outgoing Owner looking to sell them on.

Perhaps if the CLUB were to get something for ITSELF out of all these people, then things might be different. Will QPR own the new ground? Will their be enormous profits, which QPR will also own? Sponsorship, which will all come to QPR? If not, why? Why should we believe Fernandes REPRESENTS QPR if QPR is never the beneficiary of what he does?

Do his lawyers charge him for legal advice they give themselves, while taking for themselves benefits or profits that may result from the advice they're charging him for?

We hear this kind of thing all the time. This time everyone can be trusted. This time they're here until things are all sorted out. So this time, the tap won't just go on drip, drip, dripping. Flooding the place. Rotting the fabric.

While we go on hearing, week in week out, how difficult it is to run a Club which is underwater.

If we have the right people, and he knows that - he doesn't seem too sure himself, I notice - why all the excuses? Why not a triumphant roll-call of success, benefits and money accruing to the Club? Why does the process of getting things right always look so indistinguishable from getting them wrong again?

Do TF's employees and advisers go on telling him how wonderful everything will be for him, despite his never deriving any of the promised benefits from their work or their advice?

And does HE swallow all that? Or does he INSIST on getting what he pays for. If that is how he runs his businesses, maybe we shouldn't be surprised that our Champions League place and the world class talent required to achieve it hasn't quite arrived in the post yet, and Amazon haven't delivered the 45,000 fans to fill the wonder-ground which we were supposed to have by now.

Is that abandoned? Are we to believe the promises of a better tomorrow because the last lot of promises didn't come true?

When, exactly, WILL anyone feel OBLIGED to deliver? More to the point, what are the sanctions if they don't?

And when will our supporters get THEIR money back?

If previous regimes had known what they were talking about, they would have told us that it was almost certain the Club would get nothing. It would be very unlikely that anything they did would be of any value to QPR, although they would get big payoffs themselves when they sold up. It was unlikely QPR would end up owning anything, while they themselves remained wealthy and owned THEIR homes and other assets.

If we're scaling down our operations, why not be realistic? He can leave a little hypothetical window that says anything impressive is vanishingly unlikely to happen, but why don't the supporters go on pumping money into the Club just on the off chance that it might?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2016 22:58]
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:21 - Feb 26 with 1225 viewsMatch82

Thanks Clive, a fascinating interview.
I don't dout that his heart is in the right place or that he is better equipped today than he was 4 years ago, which hopefully bodes well for the future.

The twitter thing is bizarre. It's impossible to communicate about a delicate and nuanced issue in 140 characters and it constantly amazes me when people are surprised that what they say is overblown or taken out of context regardless of how innocent or well meaning the sentiment was. For someone as prevalent a user of twitter as TF is, perhaps not giving people the opportunity to do so would be the prudent move. Not to mention the terrifying prospect of TF believing that people who respond to his tweets are representative of QPR fans overall or even the broader population in general.
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:52 - Feb 26 with 1204 viewsBrightonhoop

Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 23:21 - Feb 26 by Match82

Thanks Clive, a fascinating interview.
I don't dout that his heart is in the right place or that he is better equipped today than he was 4 years ago, which hopefully bodes well for the future.

The twitter thing is bizarre. It's impossible to communicate about a delicate and nuanced issue in 140 characters and it constantly amazes me when people are surprised that what they say is overblown or taken out of context regardless of how innocent or well meaning the sentiment was. For someone as prevalent a user of twitter as TF is, perhaps not giving people the opportunity to do so would be the prudent move. Not to mention the terrifying prospect of TF believing that people who respond to his tweets are representative of QPR fans overall or even the broader population in general.

Exactly. Twit is already redundant and floundering in the shallows.

TF needs to trust in communication channels that offer more than 140 characters. I think the world is ready for it....
Tweets, training grounds and tickets - Tony Fernandes interview on 00:11 - Feb 27 with 1196 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great interview Clive, nice one.
Find some of the comments about TF - waffle, heard it all before etc - a little unfair. I assume this is a faithful transcription, so it's a conversation - of course there will be waffle, and even someone like TF knows he should choose his words carefully.
He seems pretty realistic about the fact a lot of mistakes have been made, but I find having a go at him for 'allowing' the signing of Bosingwa a little unfair. I didn't want him, but Hughes had just kept us up. He was a free. Two of his last few games for Chelsea had been playing out of position in central defence, and they resulted in wins over Barca and then in the CL Final. It's not unreasonable to think he might have been ok for a hopefully lower mid table club like ourselves. And as many have said, Hughes has done fine everywhere else. Big mistakes made at the beginning of that season, but we were just months from a time where we castigated an owner for interfering with a manager, congratulated Amit on not doing it, then in retrospect castigated TF for not interfering enough. I think he made a lot of mistakes, we signed way too many players and I said that at the time, but I didn't hear too many fans going mad that summer - a lot of people got wise after the event and then have a go at TF for 'not understanding football.'

Anyway. Great thread. Hopefully JFH will still be here in 3 years, we'll have that training ground and have a hungry, hard working, entertaining side. Ha ha.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024