Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPRPOD 09:59 - Sep 20 with 7194 viewsichbinnaughty

Listened this morning.
What worries me is that JFH comes across as very inflexible, tactically.
He makes the point that Chery has been our best player, and as such is harder to drop than others.
However, not once did he talk about trying different systems with different personnel - which would be more suited to exploit other teams in other ways - and in the process, this would indirectly allow other players the opportunity to shine like Chery has.
He doesn't want to play a 4-4-2 because that would mean either putting Chery out wide, or dropping him. And he says that if Chery plays out wide, then he's not so good defensively, so the opposing full back would be told to run at him, put him under pressure, and expose his defensive shortcomings.
SO DROP HIM if the game/opposition requires it.
Get Polter and Sylla up front in a two; and hit them with balls from out wide - and if that means dropping Chery sometimes, so be it.
QPRPOD on 13:16 - Sep 20 with 1799 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 12:57 - Sep 20 by ozranger

I've listened to it today and I must say I am, with others, a little concerned. The comment about Chery having to move to a wing if we go to 4-4-2 raises, for me at least, an interesting question. That is, why do we require two defensive midfields? This is what JFH believes, based on his answering to the questions. If we were to play one only and a diamond midfield, as do many teams, then Chery can be on the top. Strangely, this would also allow us to have a tighter midfield with the wingers drawn in. However, it also relies on two full-backs working up the wings.. something we are struggling to have. Perhaps Luongo would fit into this mould better, given he is the leading tackler of the team - that is, he could defend as well when required.

If you do want two defensive-style midfielders, then get two box-to-box players, like Luongo when he is not sick and, perhaps Cousins.

think you sort of answered your own question as to why not a diamond midfield as we don't really have the full backs to play that way so you'd fix one problem by having more forwards on the pitch as well as Cherry and create another one in having no width
QPRPOD on 13:28 - Sep 20 with 1777 viewsEssex_Ranger

Surely there is a way (particularly at home) where you can play 2 up top and still have Chery in behind like JFH insists we have to have.

If we are shipping goals anyway then why not sacrifice a defensive mid and replace with a striker? 4-1-3-2?

I'm sure someone like Luongo or Cousins can cover the ground as a 1 in front of the back 4 and when defending the extra striker can drop in to have a 4-1-4-1 and give us the width.
QPRPOD on 13:31 - Sep 20 with 1767 viewsbob566

stick with it folks. It was always going to be a long hard season. A lot of players gone and a lot of new ones in.

The team was never going to click straight away.

Could be two more years of this before JFH gets us ticking.
QPRPOD on 13:45 - Sep 20 with 1739 viewsFredManRave

QPRPOD on 10:36 - Sep 20 by Toast_R

I thought the same as you pretty much. Do you get the feeling JFH is winging it a bit?

He also comes across as a very serious individual. Unlike a Warnock or Holloway - there's seems to be no element of charisma to his personality either. That maybe for a number of reasons for the purpose of this podcast but I do wonder if he is the same with the players when they're together.

I want him to do well for our sake and for his, but having listened to the whole interview - I'm probably more worried then I was.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 10:36]

Aside from the tactics and formations aspects which I'll leave to those better informed to disect the above the above is pretty much what I took away from the Podcast.

At least, so far, this thread has been about debate with nobody mentioning the S word just highlighting issues that could still be rectified or improved on.

A with the overwhelming majority on here and I'd gues the fanbase I want nothing more than JFH to do well and hope that he's given a few more months at least to put his plans and ideas into action.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 13:47]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

QPRPOD on 13:58 - Sep 20 with 1709 viewsDesertBoot

Apart from the Leeds game, it's been duil football with a very long wait for the first threat on the opponents goal. JFH's comments on Washington were strange - he's been chasing long balls ever since he arrived here.
Sylla needs crosses - again odd as are wide men, Shadipo apart, aren't putting in crosses as they're having to cut inside all the time.
No sure the excuses about injuries and new signings. Every club has injuries and new signings - maybe we'll know more tomorrow night how the new faces will do here.

Wish I could be like David Watts

QPRPOD on 14:00 - Sep 20 with 1704 viewsMonkey_Roots

QPRPOD on 12:42 - Sep 20 by DejR_vu

Bit of an overreaction. Where are the calls to get someone else in on this thread? Just a few posters discussing the podcast. It is a forum.

I realise that this is a forum.

Look at the other threads — names already being touted about.

This thread just happened to be where the vein popped.
QPRPOD on 14:03 - Sep 20 with 1703 viewsMonkey_Roots

QPRPOD on 12:39 - Sep 20 by ichbinnaughty

Again, in the words of Finney on the podcast, "is rebuilding a byword for 'putting up with shyte'?"??

Like it or not, this squad has had money spent on it, it also has one or two legacy members from our spending days. We SHOULD be better than we are.

In response to your question, and Finney's... to an extent, yes it is.

You can't just draw a line in the sand and from then on it changes, there has to be that uncomfortable period where you are a bit inconsistent, at times shite, and at times decent. I think thats a fair assessment of our season so far.
QPRPOD on 14:41 - Sep 20 with 1645 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 13:28 - Sep 20 by Essex_Ranger

Surely there is a way (particularly at home) where you can play 2 up top and still have Chery in behind like JFH insists we have to have.

If we are shipping goals anyway then why not sacrifice a defensive mid and replace with a striker? 4-1-3-2?

I'm sure someone like Luongo or Cousins can cover the ground as a 1 in front of the back 4 and when defending the extra striker can drop in to have a 4-1-4-1 and give us the width.

I don't think he was saying Cherry has to play regardless he was more saying that he is playing well so he deserves his place and to get the best out of him this is the way to play
Login to get fewer ads

QPRPOD on 14:42 - Sep 20 with 1641 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 14:03 - Sep 20 by Monkey_Roots

In response to your question, and Finney's... to an extent, yes it is.

You can't just draw a line in the sand and from then on it changes, there has to be that uncomfortable period where you are a bit inconsistent, at times shite, and at times decent. I think thats a fair assessment of our season so far.

And that was never going to be accepted despite the loud calls for exactly this to happen when redknapp was throwing money around at more and more loans to keep the wins coming
QPRPOD on 14:55 - Sep 20 with 1617 viewsichbinnaughty

QPRPOD on 14:42 - Sep 20 by daveB

And that was never going to be accepted despite the loud calls for exactly this to happen when redknapp was throwing money around at more and more loans to keep the wins coming

For me the fundamental question is
"With the squad we have, having had a full pre season, and with the entire set up we have in place at the club now (this includes players, coaching staff, chief executive, director of football........though I have to acknolwdge the not-great training ground we have), should we as fans expect to have a highly capable, fit, very competitive team to be proud of, and have aspirations of challenging the top 6?"
And for me the answer is yes. We should.
I don't like the implied culture of accepting what we've seen over the last month.

Yes we ballsed it up, but his club has had the benefits & inputs of three years in the Premier League over the past 7 years.
Therefore we should expect to see the positive effects of this on the pitch, in our performances, and in the sentiments expressed by those responsible for driving our club forward.
And I know plenty of people will take exception with this view but that's what I think so there we have it.
QPRPOD on 15:26 - Sep 20 with 1551 viewsMonkey_Roots

QPRPOD on 14:55 - Sep 20 by ichbinnaughty

"With the squad we have, having had a full pre season, and with the entire set up we have in place at the club now (this includes players, coaching staff, chief executive, director of football........though I have to acknolwdge the not-great training ground we have), should we as fans expect to have a highly capable, fit, very competitive team to be proud of, and have aspirations of challenging the top 6?"
I don't like the implied culture of accepting what we've seen over the last month.

Yes we ballsed it up, but his club has had the benefits & inputs of three years in the Premier League over the past 7 years.
Therefore we should expect to see the positive effects of this on the pitch, in our performances, and in the sentiments expressed by those responsible for driving our club forward.
And I know plenty of people will take exception with this view but that's what I think so there we have it.

Sure, but you're not taking into account players form, injuries, confidence, a new playing style, a influx of money into other teams, and of course a team like Newcastle, and a league that is arguably one the most challenging in world football.

The intended playing style you could argue has been there since the very first day of pre-season, but thats not something that is going to embed itself overnight.

I think its right to expect more, but its going to rocky for a while, and this is something almost all of us unanimously accepted. I think its also worth having a quick sanity check to see where we were at this time last year, and the things we wanted for our club back then:

Sensible wage structure
Sensible signings
Investment in youth
A playing style
Attractive football
Our identity back
Stability
Competition for places

I see ticks against almost every single one of those points (feel free to add your own), but against all of these things there should be that little asterisk... *results may vary.
QPRPOD on 15:47 - Sep 20 with 1521 viewskensalriser

The amount of cynicism here is staggering. As is the sense of entitlement.

Seems that a lot of people still haven't grasped the fact that the squad is weaker than it was in August 2015. We've signed Championship and League 1 players for the most part and lost several key players to the Premier League (yeah, Phillips and Fer were lazy and shit but somehow they're playing a division up).

Where does the notion come from that we should be challenging for the top 6? And fck all this comparison with Huddersfield. There's always one outlier every season that comes out of nowhere to challenge (it was us 2010/11). How about comparing us with Derby instead?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

QPRPOD on 15:49 - Sep 20 with 1518 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 14:55 - Sep 20 by ichbinnaughty

We had no real benefits from the prem, we blew all the money and more spending it on making arseholes rich. The consequence of that is we have gone back to where we were in 2007 starting the 4 year plan again. The hope is we do it right this time and don't build a club with no foundations again

I think with the squad we have if we avoid injuries to key players and the new players settle quickly we should finish in the top half but so far that hasn't been the case.

Ariel was injured pre season so hasn't started a league game yet when I think he would have been first choice. Yenni looked promising at first but the death of his father obviously going to have a massive affect when moving to a new country so I wouldn't expect to see the best of him for a while. The Polish winger came on at 2-0 down last week so impossible to know if he is any good whilst Sylla hasn't had a start yet either but has looked promising. We've also had Lynch out injured who I think would improve us at the back.

I think it's very hard to judge how good or bad we are until these players settle and we get to see if they improve the team or not. I just look at the changes we've made and think it will take a while to see the best of this squad and wouldn't expect to see them at their best before the second half of the season so it's important to pick up points and not sucked into trouble before then. My theory is that is why JFH is so safety first which worked quite well in August picking up points but safe to say it's been less successful this month.

Of course the manner of the Newcastle defeat has ended a lot of peoples patience and I can understand that and means we need a very quick reaction and signs of improvement in the next week. That Fulham game in 10 days is going to go a long way to deciding the short term fate of JFH whether anyone likes it or not.

Long term though whether it is JFH as manager or someone else I don't think we are going to see the best of this squad for a while
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 15:50]
QPRPOD on 17:31 - Sep 20 with 1418 viewsichbinnaughty

QPRPOD on 15:49 - Sep 20 by daveB

We had no real benefits from the prem, we blew all the money and more spending it on making arseholes rich. The consequence of that is we have gone back to where we were in 2007 starting the 4 year plan again. The hope is we do it right this time and don't build a club with no foundations again

I think with the squad we have if we avoid injuries to key players and the new players settle quickly we should finish in the top half but so far that hasn't been the case.

Ariel was injured pre season so hasn't started a league game yet when I think he would have been first choice. Yenni looked promising at first but the death of his father obviously going to have a massive affect when moving to a new country so I wouldn't expect to see the best of him for a while. The Polish winger came on at 2-0 down last week so impossible to know if he is any good whilst Sylla hasn't had a start yet either but has looked promising. We've also had Lynch out injured who I think would improve us at the back.

I think it's very hard to judge how good or bad we are until these players settle and we get to see if they improve the team or not. I just look at the changes we've made and think it will take a while to see the best of this squad and wouldn't expect to see them at their best before the second half of the season so it's important to pick up points and not sucked into trouble before then. My theory is that is why JFH is so safety first which worked quite well in August picking up points but safe to say it's been less successful this month.

Of course the manner of the Newcastle defeat has ended a lot of peoples patience and I can understand that and means we need a very quick reaction and signs of improvement in the next week. That Fulham game in 10 days is going to go a long way to deciding the short term fate of JFH whether anyone likes it or not.

Long term though whether it is JFH as manager or someone else I don't think we are going to see the best of this squad for a while
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 15:50]

Lots of sense in here Dave, fair enough for another viewpoint on everything.

I would disagree with this though
"...we have gone back to where we were in 2007 starting the 4 year plan again"

In 2007 we were a mere shadow on the footballing world having been languishing in the third tier for a few years only a short time prior to that. Our profile, and recent players were reflective of that.
In 2016 both are significantly higher and as such should feed expectations, targets, etc. Without adjusting your aspirations and challenging oneself, one will only ever go backwards. And that's what I don't want us to do.

Fair point on the relative embryonic squad of players though, which you are right, HAS been disrupted by injuries and bereavement, and there are a few foreign lads to settle.

But Bidwell, Caulker, Cousins and Washington don't have that problem. And not Lynch either to a big degree.
QPRPOD on 17:38 - Sep 20 with 1408 viewsstevec

Looking at the midfield JFH has at his disposal I'm struggling to understand how he thinks it will suddenly move to a higher level.

Haven't seen this Ariel bloke yet, maybe he's the key, but I have seen more than enough of Luongo, Cousins, Henry, the other Polish lad and the French geezer to know these players are not suddenly going to come good in any form of 5 man midfield.

I wonder if JFH has had a look at the players he's got, the lack of funding and has decided a years pay and a P45 may be his best way out.
QPRPOD on 17:39 - Sep 20 with 1274 viewsPunteR

QPRPOD on 17:31 - Sep 20 by ichbinnaughty

In 2007 we were a mere shadow on the footballing world having been languishing in the third tier for a few years only a short time prior to that. Our profile, and recent players were reflective of that.
In 2016 both are significantly higher and as such should feed expectations, targets, etc. Without adjusting your aspirations and challenging oneself, one will only ever go backwards. And that's what I don't want us to do.

Fair point on the relative embryonic squad of players though, which you are right, HAS been disrupted by injuries and bereavement, and there are a few foreign lads to settle.

But Bidwell, Caulker, Cousins and Washington don't have that problem. And not Lynch either to a big degree.

Washington has stepped up a level which he's obviously struggling with. Lynch has been injured.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

QPRPOD on 17:47 - Sep 20 with 1260 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 17:31 - Sep 20 by ichbinnaughty

Any player moving to a new club will face a settling in period, Cousins was relegated last season so is not coming full of confidence. I'm not looking for excuses just showing it's not black and white that it should all click from day one. We should be better than we have shown in the last 3 games but I think we showed in the first 5/6 games we are not the shambles we have looked in the last week.

I think 2007 we were starting on a journey to get to the Prem and starting from scratch really. We did it eventually but had no youth set up to fall back on, no scouting network and no training ground. We did it by spending and eventually stumbled across the right manager and team but was never going to bring lasting success. That promotion year under Warnock the wheels came off well before the end of the season and we fell over the line plus needing half a new squad in January to keep us going. Always in a position where 6 new players were needed every transfer window just to stand still.

We bought our way up again under Redknapp but again had no infrastructure etc to fall back on so when we went back down it was back to square one again.

We have had a taste of the Prem but came back down last year in a position where the spending has stopped and we are sort of living within our means in the championship with no training ground, not much of a youth set up and needing to build a scouting network which is what I mean by being back where we started in 2007. We've made pretty good progress on the infrastructure in the last year but none of that stuff is very sexy and likely to get anyone off their seats and is still a long way from being what is required.

It's going to take time and a lot of hard work to get back up and I'm sure we'll go through a few managers and a lot of players before it happens but the key for me is when we go back we do so with some hope of being a club able to build and stay in the prem rather than go up make prats of ourselves and start again.
QPRPOD on 17:48 - Sep 20 with 1255 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 17:38 - Sep 20 by stevec

Looking at the midfield JFH has at his disposal I'm struggling to understand how he thinks it will suddenly move to a higher level.

Haven't seen this Ariel bloke yet, maybe he's the key, but I have seen more than enough of Luongo, Cousins, Henry, the other Polish lad and the French geezer to know these players are not suddenly going to come good in any form of 5 man midfield.

I wonder if JFH has had a look at the players he's got, the lack of funding and has decided a years pay and a P45 may be his best way out.

how have you seen enough of the Polish winger, He only played an hour last Tuesday and we rarely got out of our own half to see what he could do
QPRPOD on 20:10 - Sep 20 with 1114 viewsJogo

Just listened to the podcast. Oh dear oh dear. Not prepared to change a losing formation because he's afraid another formation won't accommodate Chery? Very naive. Yes Chery has been our best player so far this season...but surely the good of the team comes before the good of any one individual. Very very poor from JFH. Sorry to say we are well and truly up a creek without a paddle with this fella in charge.
QPRPOD on 20:39 - Sep 20 with 1092 viewsMonkey_Roots

QPRPOD on 20:10 - Sep 20 by Jogo

Just listened to the podcast. Oh dear oh dear. Not prepared to change a losing formation because he's afraid another formation won't accommodate Chery? Very naive. Yes Chery has been our best player so far this season...but surely the good of the team comes before the good of any one individual. Very very poor from JFH. Sorry to say we are well and truly up a creek without a paddle with this fella in charge.

I love it when a fan calls an ex top international professional footballer, coach and manager naive, as if he were an old pro chuckling away with some other old gnarled ex footballing cronies...
QPRPOD on 20:47 - Sep 20 with 1079 viewsJogo

QPRPOD on 20:39 - Sep 20 by Monkey_Roots

I love it when a fan calls an ex top international professional footballer, coach and manager naive, as if he were an old pro chuckling away with some other old gnarled ex footballing cronies...

Happy to oblige. In truth the first part of your comment was legible, however the second part was a bit psychedelic. I'm sure it sounded good in your head at the time though.
QPRPOD on 01:23 - Sep 21 with 962 viewsNorthernr

QPRPOD on 20:39 - Sep 20 by Monkey_Roots

Shhhhhh, the experts are talking.
QPRPOD on 01:26 - Sep 21 with 959 viewsNorthernr

QPRPOD on 17:38 - Sep 20 by stevec

If you've seen enough of the "other Polish lad" I can only assume you're an enthusiastic attender of Hellas Verona matches because he's only been in the UK for 10 days and played 60 minutes for us so far.

It's this sort of fcking bollox that makes us look like every other spoilt, screeching, no-nothing, never-attending fan base that rings 606 to talk to robbie cnting Savage.
QPRPOD on 05:35 - Sep 21 with 913 viewsLadbrokeR

QPRPOD on 14:41 - Sep 20 by daveB

I don't think he was saying Cherry has to play regardless he was more saying that he is playing well so he deserves his place and to get the best out of him this is the way to play

he certainly said that other people are ahead of Sandro in terms of contention. He must be playing bad then.
QPRPOD on 07:18 - Sep 21 with 880 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 05:35 - Sep 21 by LadbrokeR

he certainly said that other people are ahead of Sandro in terms of contention. He must be playing bad then.

Quite right as well, Sandro has been awful for QPR and made it clear he didn't want to play for the club anymore so should be nowhere near the team imo. Time to give others a chance rather than do what we did last year and assume because Fer and Sandro are paid a lot that means they will be any good
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024