Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No1 No1 18:59 - Feb 22 with 2336 viewsMyke

Phil Parkes got me thinking who is the favourite QPR keeper of the last 50 years? Springett, Parkes, Roberts, Hucker (my 2nd fav), Harper, Seaman, Day, Stejskal, Green (err...) or Smithies - probably left out a few too.
No1 No1 on 10:25 - Feb 23 with 778 viewspaulparker

No1 No1 on 23:39 - Feb 22 by loftboy

Stekskals debut was away at Leeds (wegerle goal) let two in in ten minutes and looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights, once strachan missed his penalty he grew into the game.

your right Loftboy , sorry Norwich was his home debut
we made Lee Power look like Lionel messi that day

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

No1 No1 on 11:04 - Feb 23 with 739 viewsHollowayRanger

hucker
seamen
day
camp
smithers

are my favourites

if I had to pick one to defend my goal it would be seamen

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

No1 No1 on 11:09 - Feb 23 with 728 viewsfrancisbowles

No1 No1 on 11:04 - Feb 23 by HollowayRanger

hucker
seamen
day
camp
smithers

are my favourites

if I had to pick one to defend my goal it would be seamen

Really, the first thing I think of is Nayim, Ronaldinho and Gazza's semi final

Thankfully all after he took the 'eight pieces of silver'. Lol!
No1 No1 on 11:20 - Feb 23 with 718 viewsCamberleyR

No1 No1 on 11:09 - Feb 23 by francisbowles

Really, the first thing I think of is Nayim, Ronaldinho and Gazza's semi final

Thankfully all after he took the 'eight pieces of silver'. Lol!

Not forgetting Brian Moore's
"He’s gonna flip one now, He’s gonna flip one, HE’S GONNA FLIP ONE! AND IT’S IN!"
commentary as Ronald Koeman helped to knock England out of the 1994 WC plus....
John Barnes flipping one into the top corner at the School End in the 1990 FA Cup QF.....

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

No1 No1 on 11:31 - Feb 23 with 700 viewsHendonHoop

For me it will have to be, Paddy Kenny, Ron Springett and Phil Parkes.
No1 No1 on 11:34 - Feb 23 with 697 viewsdistortR

No1 No1 on 19:53 - Feb 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Too young to remember Parkes objectively, though he was a hero of mine.

So - Seaman, then Stejskal. Smithies is very close to Stejskal, very close

I think Smithies reminds me a lot of Seaman in that his positioning is excellent so most of his saves tend to be one-on-ones where the ball hits his body. It's not as spectacular as the type of goalie who acrobatically saves with his gloves while staying on the line eg Grobelaar but it's better goalkeeping.

Hard to remember from memory but I will try and rank the three of them:-

1) Positioning - Seaman, Smithies, Stejskal
2) Handling - Stejskal, Seaman, Smithies
3) One-on-ones - Seaman, Smithies, Stejskal
4) Shot-stopping in close - Stejskal, Seaman, Smithies
5) Agility/refelexes/rebounds - Seaman, Stejskal, Smithies
6) Aerial - Seaman, Smithies, Stejskal
7) Distribution - Smithies, Stejskal, Seaman
8) Organising - Seaman, Smithies, Stejskal
9) Set-pieces - Smithies, Stejskal, Seaman

Work a bit slow, Brian?

No1 No1 on 11:40 - Feb 23 with 676 viewsAntti_Heinola

In terms of favourite, for me Chris Day takes it. Too young for Parkesey sadly.
In terms of best - Seaman, but Smithies is getting there (in terms of how good they were while playing for us).

Bare bones.

No1 No1 on 11:43 - Feb 23 with 671 viewssmegma

Lee Camp made one of the best debuts you may ever see. Those at Hartlepool that day will never forget. Considering he was picked up on the M1 and met his colleagues on the coach journey makes it even more incredible.
Login to get fewer ads

No1 No1 on 11:59 - Feb 23 with 650 viewsstonebridgers

Seamen was probably the best but became the Judas with the move. I remember singing Lets all do the Seaman and flapping arms around at Highbury. Very amusing.

What about John Burridge complete nutcase.

My favourite is Peter Hucker

Stonebridgers

No1 No1 on 12:01 - Feb 23 with 650 viewsMyke

Jeepers just realised all the keeper s I did leave out. How could I forget my compatriot Kenny? I liked Jones too. Another favourite when I was a teenager that I forgot to mention was John 'Budgie' Burridge. That man was still incredibly agile into his 40's - a great entertainer. I deliberately said favourite instead of best with is subjective. (So is favourite but in an obvious way if you know what I mean) Keep them coming, some great memories here
No1 No1 on 12:49 - Feb 23 with 614 viewsElHoop

Parkes was the best for me but we've had some excellent ones. Hard to think of another position where we've been quite so strong on a consistent basis.

Woods and Seaman were both young when they came to us and went on to greater things. I think that Woods was the Forest keeper when they signed Shilton so he wasn't going to get a game, although I seem to recall Shilton being cup tied so Woods was their League Cup keeper for one season. I've a feeling that Venables didn't really fancy him and Hucker took over and Woods went to Norwich, but it's a long time ago now and i might be wrong. Smithies is probably the best young keeper we've had since Woods and Seaman.
No1 No1 on 12:56 - Feb 23 with 600 viewsCamberleyR

No1 No1 on 12:49 - Feb 23 by ElHoop

Parkes was the best for me but we've had some excellent ones. Hard to think of another position where we've been quite so strong on a consistent basis.

Woods and Seaman were both young when they came to us and went on to greater things. I think that Woods was the Forest keeper when they signed Shilton so he wasn't going to get a game, although I seem to recall Shilton being cup tied so Woods was their League Cup keeper for one season. I've a feeling that Venables didn't really fancy him and Hucker took over and Woods went to Norwich, but it's a long time ago now and i might be wrong. Smithies is probably the best young keeper we've had since Woods and Seaman.

Venables replaced Woods with Burridge when he took over and proceeded to sign most of the Crystal Palace first team. Burridge kept his place until Hucker got his chance in the FA Cup third round tie against Middlesbrough at LR in January 1982 (through injury? I can't remember). Burridge was never keen on playing on the Omniturf anyway.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2017 12:57]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

No1 No1 on 13:05 - Feb 23 with 581 viewsElHoop

No1 No1 on 12:56 - Feb 23 by CamberleyR

Venables replaced Woods with Burridge when he took over and proceeded to sign most of the Crystal Palace first team. Burridge kept his place until Hucker got his chance in the FA Cup third round tie against Middlesbrough at LR in January 1982 (through injury? I can't remember). Burridge was never keen on playing on the Omniturf anyway.

Yes you're right of course - it was Burridge after Woods and then Hucker.

Woods must have been one of our worst 'reject' decisions in retrospect although he was very young at the time.
No1 No1 on 13:10 - Feb 23 with 569 viewsAntti_Heinola

No1 No1 on 12:56 - Feb 23 by CamberleyR

Yeah Burridge is scathing about the pitch in his book. But he also probably asked for a raise after 6 months and then flounced off, which he seemed to do at every club he was at. Pretty much fell out with every manager he played for, except Venners. He'd sign for a second div side who might go up on a 3 year deal, then when they went up demand a massive pay hike. In his own book he details this same story time and again.

Also, a really weird bit in the book where he gets run over and almost dies in Oman. He says it was deliberate, and he knows ho did it, someone very well known, but he cant go public.

Extremely odd man. Discovered Ali Al Habsi too.

Bare bones.

No1 No1 on 14:51 - Feb 23 with 530 viewsBoston

Favourite ....Parkes.
Best....Parkes.
Not only was he formidable in goal, owning the local sports shop and being naturally good natured will take some beating.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

No1 No1 on 14:58 - Feb 23 with 429 viewsnightwish

Phil Parkes
No1 No1 on 15:03 - Feb 23 with 422 viewsquickpassrotter

Favourite: Phil Parkes
Best: Phil Parkes

Second favourite: Peter Hucker
Second Best: David Seaman
No1 No1 on 15:22 - Feb 23 with 399 viewsBucksRanger

1. Phil Parkes
2. Alex Smithies
3. Lee Camp
No1 No1 on 15:39 - Feb 23 with 386 viewstraininvain

No1 No1 on 15:22 - Feb 23 by BucksRanger

1. Phil Parkes
2. Alex Smithies
3. Lee Camp

Lee Camp ahead of Seaman, Stesjkal, Kenny etc!? Have a word.

I'm quite surprised Kenny hasn't been given a few more mentions. Think he set a new club record for clean sheets the season we won the league.
No1 No1 on 18:07 - Feb 23 with 352 viewskomradkirk

A man of my age would have to go for Parkes.

Daisy had some great moments.that save in the Oldham play off.I fancied him to save a few pens in the play off final in Cardiff Doh.

Lets hope Smithies tops the lot in time.
No1 No1 on 20:04 - Feb 23 with 306 viewsTripleR

Phil Parkes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024