Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don't understand putting a reserve team out 10:15 - Aug 23 with 3593 viewsBlackCrowe

The first team has done well so far so it seems pretty obvious to me to

a) keep that team gelled and build the understanding
b) give yourself the best chance of winning, to keep the solid momentum building on the pitch
c) don't p!ss the paying fans off - the match costs more than £10 when you add in travel and sustenance.

I could stomach a couple of changes to give game time to bench warmers, byt please don't tell me it's to give players a rest, the season's just started and they're probably still not 100% match fit.

Pathetic. I will not be returning to an EFL cup match again unless we should reach the latter stages (ho ho) and field pretty much a first team.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 10:27 - Aug 23 with 2741 viewsparker64

Watch Holloway's interview. He explains his thinking. Shame he mentions the dreaded "bonus" word.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 10:29 - Aug 23 with 2732 viewsdaveB

I thought it was more the way the team was set up that was the problem rather than the number of changes, the team on paper wasn't that bad but to play them in a 4-4-2 with full backs pushed high up the pitch was hanging them out to dry
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 10:45 - Aug 23 with 2686 viewsthemodfather

come on , expecting fit, young, well patd pro's to play 2 games in a few days??
seriously, there was no leader in the team and i can;t name one player who might care as bircham, gallen and cook did!
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:05 - Aug 23 with 2632 viewsblacky200

While I share the frustrations I do understand that if we had picked up a couple of injuries to important players in a "nothing" game then Ollie would of been slaughtered on here. Remember the uproar when Faurlin did his knee in similar circumstances. I think supporters now need to understand that cup competitions are now regarded as "Bonus" games and the club is not going to take them seriously. So if you go expect a second string.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:11 - Aug 23 with 2620 viewssmegma

That wasn't the reserve team. Only Chair and Baptiste have played for the reserves this season.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:16 - Aug 23 with 2611 viewsstevec

Kind of pleased Holloway did put out a reserve 11. There's no football combination these days so gives second string a rare chance to play competitive football. Also gives us the chance to see the gap between first and second eleven.

Turned out to be a timely reminder why these players let us down previously, and sadly still hoodwinking some support on the basis they played quite well after going 3-0 down. This is the problem, they can't compete at 0-0, they are not good or strong enough. When the oppo are out of sight and ease up, miraculously they look a little better.

No good blaming Holloway, most of that team will never be good enough, he knows it and most of us now know it.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:30 - Aug 23 with 2566 viewskensalriser

Blaming the players is a mug's game. It's like painting the outside of your house with interior emulsion and then blaming the paint when it all peels off six months later.

You can't throw a team together that consists of players lacking match fitness and/or not in the first team who have never played together as a unit before and expect to get a result. We were set up to fail.

I don't know why we're even having this conversation though. This has happened nearly every year for what, 20 years?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:32 - Aug 23 with 2564 viewsBrightonhoop

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:05 - Aug 23 by blacky200

While I share the frustrations I do understand that if we had picked up a couple of injuries to important players in a "nothing" game then Ollie would of been slaughtered on here. Remember the uproar when Faurlin did his knee in similar circumstances. I think supporters now need to understand that cup competitions are now regarded as "Bonus" games and the club is not going to take them seriously. So if you go expect a second string.

Not at home to Brentford though.
Login to get fewer ads

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:51 - Aug 23 with 2518 viewsstevec

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:30 - Aug 23 by kensalriser

Blaming the players is a mug's game. It's like painting the outside of your house with interior emulsion and then blaming the paint when it all peels off six months later.

You can't throw a team together that consists of players lacking match fitness and/or not in the first team who have never played together as a unit before and expect to get a result. We were set up to fail.

I don't know why we're even having this conversation though. This has happened nearly every year for what, 20 years?

Well how come Brentford reserves 'managed to come together' ?
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:57 - Aug 23 with 2502 viewsfrancisbowles

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:51 - Aug 23 by stevec

Well how come Brentford reserves 'managed to come together' ?

I don't think it was their reserves. I think it was first teamers and new signings, the latter of which obviously wanted to play for a first team place which must be up for grabs after their poor start.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 11:57]
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:06 - Aug 23 with 2473 viewslave16

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:32 - Aug 23 by Brightonhoop

all the reserves who played will at some stage play first team football this year... would have liked a cup run - given we may have only got another game or so I dont understand all the reserves being put out... should have put out first team..... try to win the match

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:28 - Aug 23 with 2430 viewsJuzzie

I thought the starting XI was OK. It's not a reserve team but more a case of fringe squad players. Certainly good enough not to get tonked 4-1 at home.

It was only my third game in a under a year due to family reasons not being able to go so a lot of the players I'm not used to seeing in the flesh any more.

The back 4 looked like strangers. Baptise kept getting pulled out to the left because the left back, Robinson, was too high up the pitch so this left gaps where Baptiste should have been.

Baptiste got skinned on a number of occasions including the first time which resulted in the OG. I thought he couldn't keep up with the pace of the opposition but seemed much better in the second half and was able to match them.

Why couldn't Robinson himself see this and drop back into a more traditional left back slot? Maybe he's been told to be a wing back but it was obvious it wasn't working after the OG.

Midfield offered no protection at all to the defence that was clearly creaky.

Freeman coming made a big difference but I thought Mackie & Smith didn't have much of an impact.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:36 - Aug 23 with 2421 viewsShunter

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:11 - Aug 23 by smegma

That wasn't the reserve team. Only Chair and Baptiste have played for the reserves this season.

agree, that wasn't our reserve team, they are part of our 1st team squad which is clearly not strong enough on last nights performance.

What we have learned is don't sell Smithies.

Agree with DaveB, full backs pushed up to far, especially Robinson which left Babtiste
having to cover and be roasted time and time again by a flying bee, which left Caulker exposed, which is not an excuse for Caulker because he was so f-ing bad last night.

Impressed with Chair though, the only positive of a very bad night

Now we hear that Perch will be out "for a number of months" with a dislocated knee cap,
full marks to the guy for not coming off again Hull
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:40 - Aug 23 with 2410 viewsPinnerPaul

But everyone does it.

Cardiff City and Ipswich (To PL oppo though) lost 100% records last night.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:44 - Aug 23 with 2395 viewsswitchingcode

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 11:57 - Aug 23 by francisbowles

I don't think it was their reserves. I think it was first teamers and new signings, the latter of which obviously wanted to play for a first team place which must be up for grabs after their poor start.

2 B team players involved plus had 8 first team starters not included in the match squad.Poor start yes with results but seen every game and we are playing well ask any of the sides fans who we have played.Last night where the worse stats from any game we have played so far this season regarding shots on /off target and possession I don't give a toss about this cup but glad we got a win to give us a boost of confidence for the more important game on Saturday.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:51 - Aug 23 with 2365 viewsStanisgod

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:44 - Aug 23 by switchingcode

2 B team players involved plus had 8 first team starters not included in the match squad.Poor start yes with results but seen every game and we are playing well ask any of the sides fans who we have played.Last night where the worse stats from any game we have played so far this season regarding shots on /off target and possession I don't give a toss about this cup but glad we got a win to give us a boost of confidence for the more important game on Saturday.

Thought the boy Clarke was superb. Pace, brain, passing ability etc. Is he a regular ?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 13:05 - Aug 23 with 2331 viewstoboboly

It was their reserves. A Brentford mate took one look at the line-up pre-game and almost cried. Reckoned we would destroy them.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 13:10 - Aug 23 with 2321 viewsAntti_Heinola

Didn't go to this game. the only League Cup game I've been to in years is the Sunderland one last season. And I won't be going any time soon. Why should I take it seriously if QPR don't? This result was close to inevitable because of the way we've treated it (and games with Brentford recently) for years.
Total waste of time and I can't waste money on games treated like training matches.
It's stupid, because a good cup run, even just three wins or something, helps generate momentum, gives fans something to enjoy. Us getting to say, the quarters, is eminently possible, and really won't affect our season that adversely.
I do agree with squad rotation - it's necessary - but it has to be in sensible moderation. Had we made just 3 or 4 changes, instead of the ludicrous 10, we could have won.

Bare bones.

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 13:17 - Aug 23 with 2292 viewsDesertBoot

This is Brentford, let's a have a go at actually winning the game. Not one player, apart from when Freeman came on, looked like they could actually have a positive effect on the game.
Chair did his best and put in a real shift but those around him were abject - bar the final ten minutes of the first half.
When Freeman came on we improved but what was the point of bringing on Mackie for Wsolek who was started to get into the game. Olly got it completely wrong and it was embarrassing.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 13:20 - Aug 23 with 2279 viewsBushRanger82

Can you imagine how different our history would have been, had someone like Holloway been manager in 1966/67?
There would have been no history making day out at Wembley for QPR fans.
And Rodney Marsh would never have bagged a record 44 goals for the club, as Holloway would never have played him in a league cup game.
Sometimes I really hate the way the modern game has gone.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 13:36 - Aug 23 with 2233 viewsblacky200

Even at home to Brentford.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 13:45 - Aug 23 with 2198 viewsDejR_vu

And this is the issue.

I don't disagree with changes, but 10 of them? A few I would accept as sensible management, giving some players an opportunity to impress / stake a claim. But changing the whole team, of course you're asking for trouble. Especially when you're playing a side that you know are decent, who have had a bad start and will be using the game to try and kick-start their season.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 14:13 - Aug 23 with 2163 viewsswitchingcode

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:51 - Aug 23 by Stanisgod

Thought the boy Clarke was superb. Pace, brain, passing ability etc. Is he a regular ?

No,hadn't even made the bench for most games,agree with you.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 14:19 - Aug 23 with 2149 viewsswitchingcode

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 13:05 - Aug 23 by toboboly

It was their reserves. A Brentford mate took one look at the line-up pre-game and almost cried. Reckoned we would destroy them.

We dont have reserves we have a B team which is made up of mainly under 21s.That was still a strong starting line up by us which proves we have a stronger squad than you.When I saw your line up 10 changes against ours I was confident of a win not sure what that Bees mate of yours was on about.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 14:20 - Aug 23 with 2142 viewssimmo

I couldn't give a toss if it's Brentford, I never really see this as a derby tbh, always quite liked Brentford. They seem to care much more about making this a big rivalry, same with Fulham.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024