Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? 02:30 - Nov 19 with 3116 viewsOnlyMe

Leroy Fer.

Burnley's first goal today was important but from the moment they started moving down their left, Fer was the key man. He left his position then got caught ball watching then moved the wrong way as the ball was moved into where he should have been (where the cross that led to the goal came from) and then seemed to stop caring.

If Swansea keep picking him he could well be on to complete his hat-trick of relegations --- and yet some people (on the back of a few decent goals?) still say what a good player he is. Including one friend of mine (no names --- yet) at whom this minor rant is particularly aimed.

But there must be others who have made careers out of somehow fooling managers and public? Suggestions? I could think of a couple of our past players who might fit the bill.

[Post edited 19 Nov 2017 2:32]
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 09:47 - Nov 19 with 3009 viewsEsox_Lucius

Joey Barton all day long, Robbie Savage too.

The grass is always greener.

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 11:11 - Nov 19 with 2943 viewsToast_R

Ji Sun Park, all the balance of a fat man on a tight rope
Granero - fancy dan, the definition of a cold wet night in Barnsley melt
Taarabt... could have been so much more if he wasn't a spoilt brat.
Cisse, scored goals, got sent off a lot and eventually downed tools which is pretty much what he did everywhere he ever went.
Mark Hateley - a w@nker
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 11:54 - Nov 19 with 2911 viewstimcocking

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 09:47 - Nov 19 by Esox_Lucius

Joey Barton all day long, Robbie Savage too.

Not really either of those two. Neither would claim to be particularly good (Joey would, but he'd be lying), and nobody ever thought they were world beaters. They were two good team players though. And both typically gave their all.

Robbie Savage in particular, as indeed he said himself, was never that good but made as much of his ability as he possibly could, which is all you can ask. Don't see he fits this category.
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 14:28 - Nov 19 with 2856 viewsTacticalR

Defending is not Fer's strong suit. This is what I said when he went to Swansea:

'If Swansea are mid-table (or above) then Fer could do well. If Swansea are struggling and he has to defend then we all know he'll have problems.'

Air hostess clique

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 14:39 - Nov 19 with 2844 viewskensalriser

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 11:54 - Nov 19 by timcocking

Not really either of those two. Neither would claim to be particularly good (Joey would, but he'd be lying), and nobody ever thought they were world beaters. They were two good team players though. And both typically gave their all.

Robbie Savage in particular, as indeed he said himself, was never that good but made as much of his ability as he possibly could, which is all you can ask. Don't see he fits this category.

Savage was an adeptly wily player who mastered the art of the wind-up and played up to the boundaries of the rules - his near record number of yellows but only two career reds are testament to that. The archetypal player you hate unless he plays for your team, in which case you think he's brilliant.

Barton's just a special kind of tw@t.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 14:50 - Nov 19 with 2831 viewsHayesender

Daniel Sturridge. He's fooled man city, Chelsea, and Liverpool into making him a very rich man, and also England managers

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 14:53 - Nov 19 with 2826 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Alan Shearer.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 15:10 - Nov 19 with 2816 viewsHayesender

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 14:53 - Nov 19 by PlanetHonneywood

Alan Shearer.

Behave!!!

Login to get fewer ads

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 15:52 - Nov 19 with 2795 viewsWatford_Ranger

Arnautovic. Complete fraud.

Will probably smash one in today now.
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 16:39 - Nov 19 with 2765 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 15:10 - Nov 19 by Hayesender

Behave!!!

I suppose it depends on your definition of ‘con-men’, but he conned many a ref.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 17:15 - Nov 19 with 2732 viewsHayesender

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 16:39 - Nov 19 by PlanetHonneywood

I suppose it depends on your definition of ‘con-men’, but he conned many a ref.

Ah, see what you did there. I make you correct

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 17:27 - Nov 19 with 2714 viewsHayesender

Joe Hart

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 20:06 - Nov 19 with 2640 viewsBrightonhoop

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 14:28 - Nov 19 by TacticalR

Defending is not Fer's strong suit. This is what I said when he went to Swansea:

'If Swansea are mid-table (or above) then Fer could do well. If Swansea are struggling and he has to defend then we all know he'll have problems.'

Yes but he's got no work ethic.

And if Swans are rellegated he'll likely get a contract at one of the promoted sides. He's the classic bottom feeder in the fish tank of football.
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 00:24 - Nov 20 with 2514 viewsOnlyMe

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 14:28 - Nov 19 by TacticalR

He was at fault for Burnley's second goal when he actually had the ball in midfield but gave it away very sloppily and then just waited for Burnley to exploit the turn-over.

Most of the others mentioned have had some success somewhere and at some time in their careers --- But you look at Fer's relegations with Norwich and us (and heading that way with Swansea?) and also that he was a member of the Dutch national side that failed to qualify for the last Euros and the next World Cup and then think how much has been spent on him in transfer fees and wages and then think what has he actually won and ...........
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 02:27 - Nov 20 with 2473 viewstimcocking

Wilshere?
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 09:47 - Nov 21 with 2345 viewstoboboly

Chris Smalling.

Wayne Hennessey.

Serge Aurier.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 09:57 - Nov 21 with 2341 viewsstevec

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 14:39 - Nov 19 by kensalriser

Savage was an adeptly wily player who mastered the art of the wind-up and played up to the boundaries of the rules - his near record number of yellows but only two career reds are testament to that. The archetypal player you hate unless he plays for your team, in which case you think he's brilliant.

Barton's just a special kind of tw@t.

Must admit, my opinion of Savage went right up when he kept an inform Adel in his pocket in what was an inferior Derby side. Had my doubts about AT playing at top level after that.
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 10:28 - Nov 21 with 2325 viewsPeterHucker

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 09:57 - Nov 21 by stevec

Must admit, my opinion of Savage went right up when he kept an inform Adel in his pocket in what was an inferior Derby side. Had my doubts about AT playing at top level after that.

did you actually watch that game against Derby or have you just bought into Savage's own mythology of the match?

In the first half of that match Adel Taarabt ran Derby ragged. Neither Savage or any other Derby midfielder could get near him. We sung Taarabt's too good for you and he really was. I remember Adel had a shot from way out that the keeper tipped over the bar. He also created loads of chances for Helguson and others. Derby were very very lucky to not be 3 or 4 down by half time and that was pretty much all down to Taarabt.

After the match Savage said Taarabt was in his pocket but for most of the match Taarabt had made him look like the below average footballer and total dick that he was, is and always will be.
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 10:31 - Nov 21 with 2321 viewsstevec

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 10:28 - Nov 21 by PeterHucker

did you actually watch that game against Derby or have you just bought into Savage's own mythology of the match?

In the first half of that match Adel Taarabt ran Derby ragged. Neither Savage or any other Derby midfielder could get near him. We sung Taarabt's too good for you and he really was. I remember Adel had a shot from way out that the keeper tipped over the bar. He also created loads of chances for Helguson and others. Derby were very very lucky to not be 3 or 4 down by half time and that was pretty much all down to Taarabt.

After the match Savage said Taarabt was in his pocket but for most of the match Taarabt had made him look like the below average footballer and total dick that he was, is and always will be.

We may be talking about the same match but the one I'm referring to ended 0-0 at LR ?
Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 10:42 - Nov 21 with 2313 viewsingeminate

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 11:54 - Nov 19 by timcocking

Joey Barton did give his all, but he wasn't a good team player.
He could make his legs run all day, but he couldn't control his ego or his temper.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 13:36 - Nov 21 with 2225 viewsR_from_afar

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 10:28 - Nov 21 by PeterHucker

I was at that game and still wince at the wild hack by Savage which nearly snapped Tarbs' shin in half. It wasn't a red but it was nasty.

I certainly agree that Savage has misrepresented what happened that day.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 13:55 - Nov 21 with 2217 viewsPeterHucker

Players who some like --- but are they con-men? on 10:31 - Nov 21 by stevec

We may be talking about the same match but the one I'm referring to ended 0-0 at LR ?

yes that's the one. It was a Monday night game near the end of the season when we got promoted with Warnock.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024