Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. 23:04 - Jan 14 with 19374 viewsBromleyHoop

https://t.co/8t6fl2kJwp

Hopefully the above link works. It’s from a BBC podcast on Welsh football.

There’s a very interesting insight from Danny Gabbidon about his time at Crystal Palace working under Ian Holloway during his short time as manager there. Listen between. 12.20 and 19.10.

Gabbidon also doesn’t have great things to say about Mark Hughes when they were both at QPR. Listen from 24.10.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2018 23:21]

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 11:45 - Jan 17 with 2776 viewsTHEBUSH

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 10:45 - Jan 17 by SomersetHoops

Holloway cares about QPR.
Of recent incoming managers I can name some that didn't.
Hughes
Redknapp
Hasselebaink

Probably several others.

Do we really want another one like them? Because that is what we would get, although any manager with a rising reputation would not want to come to QPR unless they were from divisions below us and see it a a step towards improving there career.

Of course Holloway is not perfect, but he does care and sometimes when things aren't working out he tries something different. That is a risk he takes in the search for something that works and when it doesn't work out he is an idiot and when it does he is lucky to some and a genius to others. All he is doing is managing a difficult situation.

Since Holloway took over there have been so many constraints on what he can do in terms of bringing in players or trying to offload players we can no longer afford. He has had to manage this while building team spirit and getting the players to play with the same commitment he has and I think in that respect he is doing a good job and deserves our support.

I can´t disagree with any of this post.

I will add I like most of the players he has brought in.

IMO Holloway understands what type of player is needed in the Championship, especially under our financial restrictions.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 12:20 - Jan 17 with 2738 viewsWestbourneR

Yeah I'll take it as a plus that Holloway has a links and strength of feeling for the club - however I think it's a long way off being very important.

The vast majority of successful managers have no prior connection with club they manage.

If we're going to focus on employing people who have supported or played for QPR then we're severely limiting our options.

Eg. JFH - i don't think he was a great manager but I don't think his lack of passion for QPR was an issue.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:00 - Jan 17 with 2693 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 12:20 - Jan 17 by WestbourneR

Yeah I'll take it as a plus that Holloway has a links and strength of feeling for the club - however I think it's a long way off being very important.

The vast majority of successful managers have no prior connection with club they manage.

If we're going to focus on employing people who have supported or played for QPR then we're severely limiting our options.

Eg. JFH - i don't think he was a great manager but I don't think his lack of passion for QPR was an issue.

Yeh I'm inclined to agree. I think the hunger for it at QPR was born out of having first Hughes, who basically used the club to try and be bertie big bollox and employ all his mates, and then Redknapp, who so obviously didn't give a single sht about what he was doing.

While it may not be a pre-requisite for a manager, it is important to have people around your club who have the club at heart and QPR suffered in part for ripping that out during the Paladini, Briatore and early Fernandes years. You need those sorts of people behind the scenes, in the youth academy, in the back office, IMO, but not necessarily in the dugout like you say.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:20 - Jan 17 with 2666 viewsWestbourneR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:00 - Jan 17 by Northernr

Yeh I'm inclined to agree. I think the hunger for it at QPR was born out of having first Hughes, who basically used the club to try and be bertie big bollox and employ all his mates, and then Redknapp, who so obviously didn't give a single sht about what he was doing.

While it may not be a pre-requisite for a manager, it is important to have people around your club who have the club at heart and QPR suffered in part for ripping that out during the Paladini, Briatore and early Fernandes years. You need those sorts of people behind the scenes, in the youth academy, in the back office, IMO, but not necessarily in the dugout like you say.

Good point. QPR people in the club management positions has been a big improvement.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:42 - Jan 17 with 2636 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:20 - Jan 17 by WestbourneR

Good point. QPR people in the club management positions has been a big improvement.

Agree with all this - as a caveat: Venables, Francis, Holloway: three managers who achieved a level of success with us over the last 40 years. All Ex-QPR players. Before that, Jago, Les Allen. It's been the outsiders who have been poorest, with Warnock the exception.
'it's a local club for local people, Tubbs'.

However, totally agree with you Westbourne on this issue. A plus, but not necessary at all.

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:41 - Jan 17 with 2579 viewsJigsore

does someone mind telling me how Danny Gabbidon became the man who 'epitomises everything wrong with modern football'

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:41 - Jan 17 with 2579 viewsdaveB

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:42 - Jan 17 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with all this - as a caveat: Venables, Francis, Holloway: three managers who achieved a level of success with us over the last 40 years. All Ex-QPR players. Before that, Jago, Les Allen. It's been the outsiders who have been poorest, with Warnock the exception.
'it's a local club for local people, Tubbs'.

However, totally agree with you Westbourne on this issue. A plus, but not necessary at all.

I think it helps with managers as well as players that when they come to QPR it's a club they want to be at rather than something beneath them with half an eye on the next step.

Even for Warnock it was a big opportunity for him and he was pleased to be here, you never got that sense from Hughes, Redknapp or even Hasselbaink.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:58 - Jan 17 with 2559 viewsEastR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:41 - Jan 17 by daveB

I think it helps with managers as well as players that when they come to QPR it's a club they want to be at rather than something beneath them with half an eye on the next step.

Even for Warnock it was a big opportunity for him and he was pleased to be here, you never got that sense from Hughes, Redknapp or even Hasselbaink.

Two of those last three couldn’t give a flying fcuk
And the other one couldn’t believe his luck

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:09 - Jan 17 with 2535 viewspaulparker

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 10:45 - Jan 17 by SomersetHoops

Holloway cares about QPR.
Of recent incoming managers I can name some that didn't.
Hughes
Redknapp
Hasselebaink

Probably several others.

Do we really want another one like them? Because that is what we would get, although any manager with a rising reputation would not want to come to QPR unless they were from divisions below us and see it a a step towards improving there career.

Of course Holloway is not perfect, but he does care and sometimes when things aren't working out he tries something different. That is a risk he takes in the search for something that works and when it doesn't work out he is an idiot and when it does he is lucky to some and a genius to others. All he is doing is managing a difficult situation.

Since Holloway took over there have been so many constraints on what he can do in terms of bringing in players or trying to offload players we can no longer afford. He has had to manage this while building team spirit and getting the players to play with the same commitment he has and I think in that respect he is doing a good job and deserves our support.

I think JFH cared , for him it should have been a platform to go onto bigger things managing us but we know the reasons why it didn't work out he was to defensive and was to loyal to certain players and the 4-2-3-1 system
but at least he introduced Shodipo to the first team and for a while we had a very exciting youngster on our books who we could have flogged ala lookman at Everton

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:33 - Jan 17 with 2510 viewsOnlyMe

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 18:15 - Jan 16 by PinnerPaul

Tony F has said owners will pay the fine.

We know the fine has been levied & that we are appealing

FL have also said they will 'work with our member club' once it is finally resolved - which to me means that will not want us to go bust because of it - which - see first point above - we won't!

We seem to many to be behaving like a club that is utterly skint --- Sell what we can, whenever we can and replace with youngsters from within. No options.

And if that IS how it is then we might as well accept our future as a League One club that sometimes has seasons as a make-up-the-numbers Championship club.

While I've always supported the idea of a new stadium, a club of the kind we would be looking at becoming would need a fairly basic stadium primarily designed for money-raising away from football just to pay for itself with nothing much for the football side. And as for a new training ground --- would we be hiring it out to other clubs? The idea, I thought, was to get top (or at least very good) quality facilities to help in attracting top (or at least very good) quality players. Currently it looks like we're not really going to be looking to attract ANY players that are anything above average?

I'm saying "looks like" because I can't (don't want to) believe in the reality of the scenario(s) I've set out --- which means something else is going on and we're not being told? If any FFP punishment is effectively sorted why are we not looking forward instead of looking like a club with its head down trying to hang on as if we were a Barnet or Orient (just as examples).

Given all that, I can see (if not actually understand or agree with) what some "fans"--- mostly of the more intellectually-challenged type --- are getting their nappies tangled over.
(No subject) (n/t) on 16:38 - Jan 17 with 2471 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:33 - Jan 17 by OnlyMe

We seem to many to be behaving like a club that is utterly skint --- Sell what we can, whenever we can and replace with youngsters from within. No options.

And if that IS how it is then we might as well accept our future as a League One club that sometimes has seasons as a make-up-the-numbers Championship club.

While I've always supported the idea of a new stadium, a club of the kind we would be looking at becoming would need a fairly basic stadium primarily designed for money-raising away from football just to pay for itself with nothing much for the football side. And as for a new training ground --- would we be hiring it out to other clubs? The idea, I thought, was to get top (or at least very good) quality facilities to help in attracting top (or at least very good) quality players. Currently it looks like we're not really going to be looking to attract ANY players that are anything above average?

I'm saying "looks like" because I can't (don't want to) believe in the reality of the scenario(s) I've set out --- which means something else is going on and we're not being told? If any FFP punishment is effectively sorted why are we not looking forward instead of looking like a club with its head down trying to hang on as if we were a Barnet or Orient (just as examples).

Given all that, I can see (if not actually understand or agree with) what some "fans"--- mostly of the more intellectually-challenged type --- are getting their nappies tangled over.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 16:42 - Jan 17 with 2465 viewsdaveB

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:33 - Jan 17 by OnlyMe

I think that reality is what the club have to go through for the next few years but doesn't mean it will be forever and I reckon we'll be in a better position to challenge at the top end of this division if we go through this and stick with it
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 19:05 - Jan 17 with 2414 viewskensalriser

The FFP debacle is far from sorted, that's why we're doing what we're doing.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:51 - Jan 18 with 2252 viewsTGRRRSSS

I think nobody's mentioned Hughes because actually as a manager he#s achieved far less than Holloway, yet somehow managed to walk into successive jobs in the Premier League, despite being poor in most of them by and large with the exception of his time at Blackburn.

I don't think fans of Man City, Fulham QPR or Stoke would ever want him back.

Even now his power ful media an d Agent connections mean he'll probably be in line for another PL job by next season you'd imagine.

He would never drop a division, he doesnt do relegation..

As for Gabbidon wasn't he overweight and generally injured when at Rangers?
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:25 - Jan 18 with 2222 viewsWestbourneR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:51 - Jan 18 by TGRRRSSS

I think nobody's mentioned Hughes because actually as a manager he#s achieved far less than Holloway, yet somehow managed to walk into successive jobs in the Premier League, despite being poor in most of them by and large with the exception of his time at Blackburn.

I don't think fans of Man City, Fulham QPR or Stoke would ever want him back.

Even now his power ful media an d Agent connections mean he'll probably be in line for another PL job by next season you'd imagine.

He would never drop a division, he doesnt do relegation..

As for Gabbidon wasn't he overweight and generally injured when at Rangers?

Gabbidon was talking about Ollie at Palace. His form and weight at Rangers isn't relevant.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024