Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holloway’s latest thoughts 10:21 - Apr 13 with 7895 viewsBromleyHoop

It has been reported a couple of times now in West London Sport that Holloway intends to pick Mackie @nd Perch before the end of the season purely so that they get the chance to say goodbye (and vice versa) to the fans. Maybe Mackie can be substituted off at a pre arranged minute during the game and a guard of honour formed to rapturous applause and tears all round.

Regardless of what you think of Mackie or a Perch as players and their service to the club, picking players solely to give them the opportunity to say goodbye is cringeworthy and Terryesque.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 10:26 - Apr 13 with 5959 viewsTheChef

Mackie arguably yes, I can go with that just about.

Who actually cares about Perch? He's been a total liability. I might wave him goodbye, but with a two-fingered variety.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 10:42 - Apr 13 with 5899 viewsRs_Holy

The worst example of this had to be the game at Man City (2015) which resulted in a total shellacking and relegation.
Ramsey was manager and what did he do to minimise the impact of this awful day on the long suffering QPR away support?
Thats right, he brought on Wrong Shite Phillips as a late substitute so he could get a standing ovation from the city fans!... Incredible.
Hell I want to give a Mackie a send off! He deserves it so I say let him play last game of the season.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2018 10:43]
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 10:45 - Apr 13 with 5887 viewsAntti_Heinola

Perch has mainly been unfairly maligned. Worth remembering he's been out all season because he effed his knee up playing on through a bad injury so we didn't go down to 10 men in a game he ultimately helped us take 3 points from. not sure why we have to be quite so nasty about every player who didn't score 40 goals a season for 10 years.

The OP is a bit unfair - 2 years ago people went mental when the club didn't tell us that ale and Clint were leaving prior to the last game because we didn't get chance to say goodbye properly. I know these two aren't loved ones to the extent those two were, but still. It's not going to hurt anyone.

Edit: the SWP thing at City was, however, unforgivable. Agreed!
[Post edited 13 Apr 2018 10:59]

Bare bones.

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:03 - Apr 13 with 5821 viewsDeepcutHoop

Holloway has literally no chance does he?

Getting a kicking from QPR fans whatever he does, and now getting stick for a decison that a website says he might make in the future, even when it seems like a totally harmless gesture at worst.
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:15 - Apr 13 with 5769 viewsMytch_QPR

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:03 - Apr 13 by DeepcutHoop

Holloway has literally no chance does he?

Getting a kicking from QPR fans whatever he does, and now getting stick for a decison that a website says he might make in the future, even when it seems like a totally harmless gesture at worst.

Agreed.

We're going to finish on more points than last season and we've cleared a lot of the dead wood out.

Let the guy get on and manage how he sees fit. As Clive has said, no big names are going to come in on our 'budget' and in Ollie ('Holly' - TF) we have someone who cares about the club.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:24 - Apr 13 with 5734 viewsBromleyHoop

I’m not interested in what you regard as a harmless gesture. I’m interested in putting out our best team to win a football match. It doesn’t matter if it’s the last game of the season or not. If Holloway picks people just do they get the opportunity to get a cheer off the fans then I think it sends out the wrong message to the other players; if the Manager’s poncing about with selection based on non footballing criteria then why should they be bothered.

If they want to do something for departing players then do something on the pitch after the game with an interview and short speech type thing. What HollowY is suggesting is something that Captain, Racist, bellend did and should not be allowed anywhere near our club.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:29 - Apr 13 with 5713 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Smells like confirmation bias to me.

We had a manager who played a CB up front once in the last game of the season (that we lost) so they could hit their appearance bonus. Not a peep.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2018 11:31]
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:29 - Apr 13 with 5711 viewsOldPedro

Maybe Holloway intends putting them in the matchday squad as wouldn't have thought they will be fit enough to start.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:35 - Apr 13 with 5691 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Blimey damned if he does, damned if he doesn't eh?
I like our club at the moment. I like that the players give a $hit, I like that we do loads of great stuff in the community and I like the things like the tribute to Ray the other night.
I have no problem in Ollie giving someone like Mackie a run out to say goodbye to the club and fans he loves and has been a good servant to. I don't think it is cringeworthy in the least. We don't see enough loyalty in the game now so why not at least acknowledge it like this.
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:37 - Apr 13 with 5681 viewsTheChef

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 10:45 - Apr 13 by Antti_Heinola

Perch has mainly been unfairly maligned. Worth remembering he's been out all season because he effed his knee up playing on through a bad injury so we didn't go down to 10 men in a game he ultimately helped us take 3 points from. not sure why we have to be quite so nasty about every player who didn't score 40 goals a season for 10 years.

The OP is a bit unfair - 2 years ago people went mental when the club didn't tell us that ale and Clint were leaving prior to the last game because we didn't get chance to say goodbye properly. I know these two aren't loved ones to the extent those two were, but still. It's not going to hurt anyone.

Seriously Antti, I could count Perch's decent games on one hand, and whenever he did play his demeanour suggested he wasn't that bothered, while at the same time normally managing one tackle/assault per game that the ref might deem a straight red card offence.

Furlong is such an improvement on him.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:46 - Apr 13 with 5634 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:24 - Apr 13 by BromleyHoop

I’m not interested in what you regard as a harmless gesture. I’m interested in putting out our best team to win a football match. It doesn’t matter if it’s the last game of the season or not. If Holloway picks people just do they get the opportunity to get a cheer off the fans then I think it sends out the wrong message to the other players; if the Manager’s poncing about with selection based on non footballing criteria then why should they be bothered.

If they want to do something for departing players then do something on the pitch after the game with an interview and short speech type thing. What HollowY is suggesting is something that Captain, Racist, bellend did and should not be allowed anywhere near our club.

I actually think it sends out a message that we care about players who care about the club.
That is a good message.
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:56 - Apr 13 with 5598 viewskensalriser

Well, I for one am comforted that now we're safely mid-table with four games to go, we can still find a stick to beat the manager and/or the club with before the season's out. Wouldn't like them to think we're actually happy with anything.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:02 - Apr 13 with 5580 viewsRs_Holy

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:46 - Apr 13 by CroydonCaptJack

I actually think it sends out a message that we care about players who care about the club.
That is a good message.

Agree... Mackie deserves a good send off... At the very least bring him on with 10 minutes to play?
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:05 - Apr 13 with 5564 viewssmegma

I want to win every game irrespective of whether we're safe already. So put out the strongest team.
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:15 - Apr 13 with 5516 viewsTHEBUSH

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:46 - Apr 13 by CroydonCaptJack

That is a good message.

Agree, I´m sure Ian Holloway knows what players to give a decent send off to.

Likewise he´ll know what players who couldn´t give a toss about our club, and therefore they can just go.
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:17 - Apr 13 with 5509 viewsNW5Hoop

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 10:45 - Apr 13 by Antti_Heinola

Didn't he do the damage in a terrible tackle that resulted in three players down, two of them ours? It was in front of me in the West Paddock, and I remember thinking: There goes Perch with his psychotically late tackling again.
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:29 - Apr 13 with 5459 viewsdaveB

Club can't win, still being slated for not giving Clint Hill a bit farewell now getting stick for letting Mackie say goodbye in the last home game
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:32 - Apr 13 with 5437 viewspaulparker

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:29 - Apr 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

Smells like confirmation bias to me.

We had a manager who played a CB up front once in the last game of the season (that we lost) so they could hit their appearance bonus. Not a peep.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2018 11:31]

TBF he had won us a league title and that player was Shittu a proper loyal servant to the club , Warnock could have played himself up top that day for all I care

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:35 - Apr 13 with 5424 viewsdaveB

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 10:26 - Apr 13 by TheChef

Mackie arguably yes, I can go with that just about.

Who actually cares about Perch? He's been a total liability. I might wave him goodbye, but with a two-fingered variety.

Perch has been a good experienced pro around the dressing room, several of the young players like Furlong have spoken about how much help Perch has given them
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:38 - Apr 13 with 5409 viewsbosh67

Perch did go through a phase of making Chopper Harris look a bit soft but he was arguably, until the horrendous knee injury that he somehow heroically limped through, one of our best performing players at the time. No lack of effort or just picking up a pay cheque. Certainly hard working and we seemed to miss the fact that he was a pretty decent centre back until it was too late.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:44 - Apr 13 with 5392 viewsphilc

I can see why Ian has suggested this and I would like to give Mackie a good send off, but then sometimes I feel we can be too sentimental, and if he is prepared to put out a weakened side it would be better to give the younger players the opportunity, especially if they are going to have a role next year.

I also think that giving Mackie the extra year was a mistake, both with the budget and potentially preventing the playing of a younger player, with a future at the club.
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:48 - Apr 13 with 5372 viewsAntti_Heinola

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:37 - Apr 13 by TheChef

Seriously Antti, I could count Perch's decent games on one hand, and whenever he did play his demeanour suggested he wasn't that bothered, while at the same time normally managing one tackle/assault per game that the ref might deem a straight red card offence.

Furlong is such an improvement on him.

Absolutely, and I want Furlong in every time and think he should have been in earlier and agree with much of that. But...

'whenever he did play his demeanour suggested he wasn't that bothered'

come on. He had some bad games, but to say he wasn't bothered is very harsh.

Absolutely play our best team, but with everything assured I have zero problem seeing Mackie play some role in our final game if fully fit. Perch may have to play anyway - Lynch out, Ned suspended for 2 more games. Wouldn't take much for him to have to play. Just don't think it's really worth getting too worked up about. As dave b says, the youngsters often talk about Perch being a good influence behind the scenes and I think most fans don't know how valuable that can be. Brett Angell was er, not good, for us, but actually if you speak to Ollie or any of the team around that time, he was really good in the dressing room, really helped the players. Not saying it was worth having him for that, but these things do add up.

Bare bones.

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:50 - Apr 13 with 5362 viewsR_from_afar

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 11:24 - Apr 13 by BromleyHoop

But it isn't the same as what happened with Terry because as far as we can tell, there is no plan for a vomit-inducing pre-arranged halt and guard of honour.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:51 - Apr 13 with 5360 viewsMatch82

Seems like an overreaction to me. For all you know he might be thinking to make him a sub and bring him on in the 89th minute.
Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:53 - Apr 13 with 5356 viewsdaveB

Holloway’s latest thoughts on 12:44 - Apr 13 by philc

I can see why Ian has suggested this and I would like to give Mackie a good send off, but then sometimes I feel we can be too sentimental, and if he is prepared to put out a weakened side it would be better to give the younger players the opportunity, especially if they are going to have a role next year.

I also think that giving Mackie the extra year was a mistake, both with the budget and potentially preventing the playing of a younger player, with a future at the club.

Not sure the younger players were ready back in August, Mackie started the season really well and helped to give us a good start and ensure we've never been in a position where we are in trouble. He's also an excellent professional in the dressing room to help the younger players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024