Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies to Cardiff 20:06 - Jun 25 with 44479 viewsMaggsinho

£4m apparently.

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:36 - Jun 27 with 3169 viewsGloryHunter

I agree. Smithies wasn't as good this season as last. When did he last save a penalty?
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:42 - Jun 27 with 3147 viewsterryb

I like Smithies & rate him very highly. Certainly our best since Seaman.

However, I live in Ipswich & know that ALL of their supporters think their 'keeper is far better. The look of amazement on their faces when I say Smithies is the best in the division is a joy to behold. Many don''t even know his name (as I don't the Ipswich man)! They are continually expecting Premier clubs to make an offer of £8 million plus for his services & can't understand why they receive no interest.

I suspect this reaction is mirrored around the country & many Championship 'keepers are better than half of their overpaid/over rated Premier brethren!
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:45 - Jun 27 with 3126 viewsGloucs_R

Personally think McLaren has a harder job this season than Ollie did last. If he is being touted out then so will the likes of Mass, Scowen and Freeman.

Eze out of contract next summer, I cant see him signing a new contract when there is interest from Prem teams who will be able to offer a lot more money.

In fact, this is grim reading....out of contract next summer:

Sylla
Bidwell
Washington
Hall
Pawel Wszolek
Cousins
Baptiste
Furlong
Niko Hämäläinen
Kakay
Olamide Shodipo
Paul Smyth

Poll: Are we staying up?

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:12 - Jun 27 with 3068 viewsBasingstokeR

Łukasz FabiaÅ„ski went from Swansea to West Ham at the beginning of the month for £7m with a year left on his contract (33yrs old, 45 caps for Poland, nearing 200 Prem appearances).

Maybe we're all over-egging Smithies worth but ~£3m with ~£500k add-ons sounds low. Surprising no-one else publically interested yet.

Wonder what kind of sell on Huddersfield have.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 10:14]
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:20 - Jun 27 with 3034 viewsconnell10

So we paid 2 million for him and we may get 3.5 million , so that leaves 1.5 million profit before Huddersfield take their cut. We might if we are lucky end up with a million to put into our transfer kitty! Thats pretty grim.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:22 - Jun 27 with 3032 viewsMarc

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:20 - Jun 27 by connell10

So we paid 2 million for him and we may get 3.5 million , so that leaves 1.5 million profit before Huddersfield take their cut. We might if we are lucky end up with a million to put into our transfer kitty! Thats pretty grim.

Who's to say Huddersfield even get a cut from any deal?
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:23 - Jun 27 with 3022 viewslave16

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:45 - Jun 27 by Gloucs_R

Personally think McLaren has a harder job this season than Ollie did last. If he is being touted out then so will the likes of Mass, Scowen and Freeman.

Eze out of contract next summer, I cant see him signing a new contract when there is interest from Prem teams who will be able to offer a lot more money.

In fact, this is grim reading....out of contract next summer:

Sylla
Bidwell
Washington
Hall
Pawel Wszolek
Cousins
Baptiste
Furlong
Niko Hämäläinen
Kakay
Olamide Shodipo
Paul Smyth

Given all the players out of contract next year I would like to put myself forward I have boots (somewhere) and will play

pluses - am vocal, enthusiastic, have powerful shot, can tackle like a sledgehammer, have great vision (will have after a trip to optalase), will be on a first name basis with refs (may not be through choice), can light up a stadium (literally can flick a switch)

minuses - mid 40s, not the tallest, can trap the ball further than most people can kick it, limited mobility, can hit top row or corner flag with most shots (apart from the air shots), tackling may not always be on time, cannot last more than 5 mins (especially in hot weather so may struggle on hot European nights eg Champions league etc), have dodgy knee and hamstring (insurance may be an issue), have suspect positional sense and like a pint every now and then, diet could also be improved...

awaiting your call Steve.... (bear in mind Ollie did not call me last year, nor jimmy the year before, nor Neil, nor Chris, nor Harry or Sparky (pity that would have been a great pay day) )

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:24 - Jun 27 with 3014 viewsconnell10

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:22 - Jun 27 by Marc

Who's to say Huddersfield even get a cut from any deal?

Being reported in the media they might get something from a sell on clause mate, i hope its B.S. But if it aint thats grim imo.

Login to get fewer ads

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:46 - Jun 27 with 2929 viewsNorthernr

Where are these figures coming from?
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:46 - Jun 27 with 2923 viewsstevec

Smithies to Cardiff on 22:40 - Jun 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

Unpopular QPR opinion alert:

I think Smithies is mustard, but i've often thought there must be a reason he's got to the age of 29 without playing in the Premiership.

Maybe there are deficiencies in his game that non coach like the majority of us hasn't noticed.

Just saying.

We see him each week but it's hard to imagine any other side see him as anything other than a 70 goals a season keeper.

That's unlikely to change at Cardiff either.
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:49 - Jun 27 with 2910 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:46 - Jun 27 by stevec

We see him each week but it's hard to imagine any other side see him as anything other than a 70 goals a season keeper.

That's unlikely to change at Cardiff either.

Smithies hasn't conceded 70 goals in any of his three seasons here so I'd be surprised if anybody saw him as that.
Smithies to Cardiff on 10:57 - Jun 27 with 2851 viewsRBlock

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:46 - Jun 27 by Northernr

"Sky Sports News sources understand..."
Smithies to Cardiff on 11:00 - Jun 27 with 2837 viewsstevec

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:49 - Jun 27 by Northernr

Smithies hasn't conceded 70 goals in any of his three seasons here so I'd be surprised if anybody saw him as that.

You're right, he did miss a few games but goals per game etc probably takes us around that mark.

Agree, he's one of the best 5 or 6 keepers we've had over the years but I see keepers week in and week out in this league and can't see much of a difference between them and their premier counterparts.

In the end, that's circa £4m we've got to spend than we had a week ago and we've far weaker areas than the keeper spot.
Smithies to Cardiff on 11:24 - Jun 27 with 2765 viewshopphoops

I wish him well in Div.1, he deserves his chance; and happy with the club's dealings, £4m should give us something to play with and still massage the books.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Smithies to Cardiff on 11:38 - Jun 27 with 2712 viewsGloucs_R

£900k is what I have heard we paid for him

Smithies to Cardiff on 11:46 - Jun 27 with 2686 viewsHooped_Pullie

Sad to see Alex go (medical today at Cardiff, apparently) but he was not as crucial last season as he had been the season before (albeit still an excellent keeper) and Lumley and Ingram are both very good too. Plus, I'd say we'll be signing another Championship-level stopper to join the mix, even if it's just someone competent who's out of contract elsewhere.

More concerned at the moment that we need at least half a dozen experienced pros at this level to plug the gaps left by all the departures - I hope the Penrice effect kicks in (finally) and we see some bodies coming through the door soon. It would be a grave error to try and step up yet more kids to fill the holes - we have a talented bunch of youngsters right now, but they need to be supported by experience. At the lower end of expectations, I'd settle for a few more Baptiste-type players.
Smithies to Cardiff on 12:45 - Jun 27 with 2538 viewsLongsufferingR

Anybody near the Cardiff medical centre atm that can set the fire alarms off?
Smithies to Cardiff on 13:00 - Jun 27 with 2483 viewsconnell10

Smithies to Cardiff on 10:46 - Jun 27 by Northernr

From your friends in the media mate!

Smithies to Cardiff on 13:05 - Jun 27 with 2458 viewsGloucs_R

Smithies to Cardiff on 11:46 - Jun 27 by Hooped_Pullie

Sad to see Alex go (medical today at Cardiff, apparently) but he was not as crucial last season as he had been the season before (albeit still an excellent keeper) and Lumley and Ingram are both very good too. Plus, I'd say we'll be signing another Championship-level stopper to join the mix, even if it's just someone competent who's out of contract elsewhere.

More concerned at the moment that we need at least half a dozen experienced pros at this level to plug the gaps left by all the departures - I hope the Penrice effect kicks in (finally) and we see some bodies coming through the door soon. It would be a grave error to try and step up yet more kids to fill the holes - we have a talented bunch of youngsters right now, but they need to be supported by experience. At the lower end of expectations, I'd settle for a few more Baptiste-type players.

We have 3 keepers:
Lumley and Ingram will fight for number 1 jersey
Dieng, who is highly rated too, will be 3rd choice.

Another keeper is not what we need.

I can see the number 1 jersey switching all year. Both good but prone to the odd error. Now is their time though.

Smithies to Cardiff on 13:07 - Jun 27 with 2448 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

No Smithies in the pre season tour...

[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 13:10]
Smithies to Cardiff on 14:39 - Jun 27 with 2227 viewsrsonist

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-want-derby-county-forward-and-two-defend

WLS confirming £3m rising to £4m.
Smithies to Cardiff on 14:42 - Jun 27 with 2209 viewsFDC

Smithies to Cardiff on 14:39 - Jun 27 by rsonist

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-want-derby-county-forward-and-two-defend

WLS confirming £3m rising to £4m.

If, as reported elsewhere, this is rising to 4m on condition of Cardiff staying up, it's really quite a poor return imo.
Smithies to Cardiff on 14:44 - Jun 27 with 2206 viewsGloucs_R

Smithies to Cardiff on 13:07 - Jun 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

No Smithies in the pre season tour...

[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 13:10]

who is Charlie Ownes?

Anyone seen Giles Philips play?

You look at that squad and you think...fuk, going to be a hard season.

Just how many midfielders do we have???

Smithies to Cardiff on 14:48 - Jun 27 with 2195 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Cardiff on 14:42 - Jun 27 by FDC

If, as reported elsewhere, this is rising to 4m on condition of Cardiff staying up, it's really quite a poor return imo.

Believe what you're supposed to say is "it's three times what we paid, we've got our Rangers back" and/or "hurr durr we're the good guys".
Smithies to Cardiff on 15:11 - Jun 27 with 2096 viewsdanehoop

Smithies to Cardiff on 14:48 - Jun 27 by rsonist

Believe what you're supposed to say is "it's three times what we paid, we've got our Rangers back" and/or "hurr durr we're the good guys".

Or, this is what FFP has done to us and we overvalue our own players.

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024