Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies to Cardiff 20:06 - Jun 25 with 44458 viewsMaggsinho

£4m apparently.

Smithies to Cardiff on 01:35 - Jun 26 with 3111 viewsqueensparker

Surprised it took this long - good luck to Smithies, our best goalie since Seaman IMO. And the best kicker of the ball we've ever had at number one

Warnock is probably one of the only Prem managers who would deign to look at the likes of us/him for a keeper and he's got an absolute bargain.
Smithies to Cardiff on 01:47 - Jun 26 with 3084 viewsnottonyfernandes

Smithies to Cardiff on 01:35 - Jun 26 by queensparker

Surprised it took this long - good luck to Smithies, our best goalie since Seaman IMO. And the best kicker of the ball we've ever had at number one

Warnock is probably one of the only Prem managers who would deign to look at the likes of us/him for a keeper and he's got an absolute bargain.

I agree with this, I love smithies but I’m happy he’s getting a chance in the prem and we’ve got great talent in lumley and Matt Ingram.
Best of luck to him at the next level!
Smithies to Cardiff on 03:26 - Jun 26 with 3046 viewsmylot50years

£4mil if true an absolute joke, and whoever was responsible for putting that clause if it's in his latest contract, needs to be relieved of any future contract dealings as they are clearly incompetent in that department. We really need to get our act together as we are becoming an easy target in our transfer dealings, something that is embarrassing to say the least.
Smithies to Cardiff on 04:30 - Jun 26 with 3017 viewsMatch82

Smithies to Cardiff on 03:26 - Jun 26 by mylot50years

£4mil if true an absolute joke, and whoever was responsible for putting that clause if it's in his latest contract, needs to be relieved of any future contract dealings as they are clearly incompetent in that department. We really need to get our act together as we are becoming an easy target in our transfer dealings, something that is embarrassing to say the least.

Remember a year ago when smithies signed a new contract? What if he only agreed to sign it if we added a clause where he could go to a prem team if they offered £4m?
Smithies to Cardiff on 05:43 - Jun 26 with 2989 viewsdanehoop

The alternative view of course is that whilst we all rate him, that outside of our club he isn’t rated as highly. The market decides price as being what others are prepared to pay, not just what we might believe is fair value.
. We simply don’t know anything about Smithies existing contract or the circumstances around the deal - beyond that we need the money and have a surplus of good keepers. With Hoos in charge of these things I doubt we would have done anything on this without trying to extract the best position available for the club.

Never knowingly understood

Smithies to Cardiff on 06:41 - Jun 26 with 2907 viewsLowerloftLad

how much was smithies signed for ?

But yes Cardiff will be having a good laugh at 4mill they will be going straight back down maybe Huddersfield will come in for him at the last minute

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Smithies to Cardiff on 07:22 - Jun 26 with 2826 viewsenfieldargh

Smithies to Cardiff on 05:43 - Jun 26 by danehoop

The alternative view of course is that whilst we all rate him, that outside of our club he isn’t rated as highly. The market decides price as being what others are prepared to pay, not just what we might believe is fair value.
. We simply don’t know anything about Smithies existing contract or the circumstances around the deal - beyond that we need the money and have a surplus of good keepers. With Hoos in charge of these things I doubt we would have done anything on this without trying to extract the best position available for the club.

Your probably right re release clause.

As a QPR fan since 1967 Ive kind of got used to this type of thing.

They come they go, some leave with a boot up their bottoms some a wave good bye and some sadly like Smithies with a tear in my eye

Future should be bright though with Lumley & Ingram

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Smithies to Cardiff on 07:43 - Jun 26 with 2770 viewsBlue_Castello

Smithies to Cardiff on 04:30 - Jun 26 by Match82

Remember a year ago when smithies signed a new contract? What if he only agreed to sign it if we added a clause where he could go to a prem team if they offered £4m?

Like everyone else we are all guessing what's in Smithies contract, I have to agree that I think it's highly likely the clause does exist and that Smithies himself wanted the option when he signed his contract.

We are all pissed off that we are not getting his true market value, surely he's worth 6-8 in a market where last week Leicester paid circa £20 million for James Maddison. What I am confident with is the fact Lee Hoos is a very good businessman and he would have endeavoured to get the best deal possible, hopefully there's a few add ons in the deal but that may not have been possible depending on the wording of the existing deal.

A real bugger but we all knew it was coming at some stage, let's hope we can use the money wIsely and get a couple of centre halves to strengthen the defence.
Login to get fewer ads

Smithies to Cardiff on 07:48 - Jun 26 with 2746 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Norwich just sold some bloke for a ridiculous sum and there seem to be some eye watering deals just in the Championship these days. So yes, it’s frustrating to learn of a fee of £4m, but given all the variables, it has to be a sell-on clause.

You win some, you lose some and a chance at the Prem; well good luck to him.

But a loss tempered by the depth we have in that department.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Smithies to Cardiff on 08:07 - Jun 26 with 2695 viewsGloucs_R

Is there just a slight possibility that actually it's us that have put the four million number out there. Maybe we don't want other teams increasing the price of their players thinking we have ten million in the bank after selling a goalkeeper..

Poll: Are we staying up?

Smithies to Cardiff on 08:34 - Jun 26 with 2620 viewsRs_Holy

Good luck to him, he's been a model pro whilst at QPR. I find it hard to dislike Cardiff whilst Neil Warnock is manager. Hopefully Shteve gets most of the money and we can get a couple of bargains ourselves.
Smithies to Cardiff on 08:39 - Jun 26 with 2607 viewsjonno

Smithies to Cardiff on 04:30 - Jun 26 by Match82

Which is almost certainly what happened.
Smithies to Cardiff on 08:42 - Jun 26 with 2598 viewsjonno

Smithies to Cardiff on 22:36 - Jun 25 by Antti_Heinola

I would've said he has to be £6m absolute minimum if there's no release clause. He's English, and with Brexit looming I don't think anyone realises yet how valuable that will be. Cheapo foreign imports a thing of the past. He's a great keeper at a good age who rarely makes mistakes. £4m a steal if true (although four times what we bought him for) - but we'll never know, because as always with Rangers it'll be undisclosed.

What makes you think Brexit will make any difference to transfer dealings, or foreign players coming into the UK?
Smithies to Cardiff on 08:42 - Jun 26 with 2597 viewsdublinr

Sad news if true.

But selling players from positions where we are strong makes sense and should allow us to buy players in positions where we are weak. If we replace him with a cb with anything like his talent we'll have done well in the end.

As for the price, for some reason other fans/scouts etc don't rate him the way we do. I think other premiership fans reaction to the news will be on the lines of 'smithies from QPR? What a joke. They are definitely going down.'

But I reckon, and hope, that he'll prove them wrong.

Smithies to Cardiff on 08:54 - Jun 26 with 2552 viewsrobith

Been saying for a while that whilst we know he's good, he isn't really recognised outside of the club and as such fear we'd been dramatically over estimating his value.

People cite the Pickford fee but he'd been Sunderlands best player for a whole season in the prem.
Smithies to Cardiff on 08:57 - Jun 26 with 2543 viewsjohnhoop

Would it not be a good idea if the club made it public if such a release clause existed, so that if it did, supporters would know that there was nothing the club could do about it? I guess if there was no release clause they’d probably be better off saying nothing.
Smithies to Cardiff on 08:58 - Jun 26 with 2534 viewssmegma

Smithies to Cardiff on 22:25 - Jun 25 by mcqpr10

Gutted to see him go especially for so little. Lumley and Ingram not in his level yet but bags of potential.

Have to sell these days. Would prefer smithies than eze.

Smithies doesn't play upfront.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:05 - Jun 26 with 2513 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Very disappointing and a little worrying but £4m to go towards the underpinning of the club.

On a more positive note. Look what happened to the last team that sold Alex Smithies!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:06 - Jun 26 with 2502 viewssmegma

Come on Dane, you're far too sensible. You're supposed to make things up on here, add 2+ 2 and come up with 417. Speculate, start a rumour, hazard a guess but don't come on here and talk sense.

Down with the board, get rid of Evil Les and Lee Hoos.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:10 - Jun 26 with 2483 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Cardiff on 03:26 - Jun 26 by mylot50years

Did it occur to you before setting sail on that rant that perhaps the only reason Smithies signed the contract extension in the first place, the contract extension that meant we're not now losing him for nothing, is because they agreed a relatively low release fee? If indeed said fee exists, which you have no idea on while calling for people to lose their jobs.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:16 - Jun 26 with 2461 viewsloftus77

Look on the bright side - it removes Lampard's big mug from the top story on our BBC page.

That's the best I can do I'm afraid...
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:26 - Jun 26 with 2410 views1MoreBrightonR

anyone care to post a list of the most expensive championship goalkeepers? other than Pickford, who was from a Prem team who just got relegated, i bet £4 million puts Smithies near the top.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:26 - Jun 26 with 2409 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Cardiff on 22:13 - Jun 25 by TW_R

Unless, as has already been said above, there is a £4 million buy-out clause in his contract. Not really negligent is it?

The thing you’re missing is he didn’t sign for us to develop. He signed thinking we were going to push for promotion.

If there is a trigger (which does make sense and would explain the original surprisingly generous contract extension, though it is just Bosh speculation at this point) then yes obviously there's little we can do. Not particularly great work setting the fee so low all the same the way the market's been going though I'd still say.

I don't really see what Smithies' expectations have to do with it, unless he's threatening to go on strike or whatever. We have only one strategy available to us, which is to maximise revenue from our assets.

Although the fee smarts (agree with the £6m absolute minimum valuation above FWIW) I do think Smithies leaving was inevitable, probably necessary in fact, and not the end of the world. There is the argument that the longer we kept him the more our other keepers development stunts and therefore value deprecates. Furthermore if the £4m in hand allows us the breathing space and leverage to resist and negotiate bids for Eze, Freeman, Smyth further down the line then we could double, even triple the perceived difference lost in this transfer.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:27 - Jun 26 with 2405 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:16 - Jun 26 by loftus77

Look on the bright side - it removes Lampard's big mug from the top story on our BBC page.

That's the best I can do I'm afraid...

Well we do need to be buying low and selling for profit to move on and progress, so it's a positive that we actually now have players people want to buy as opposed to players sitting until the end of their contracts or being paid off. So that's a positive. But £4m is peanuts for him. It's what I thought we'd get, given his lack of Premier League experience and his position, but it's pitiful in the current market.
Smithies to Cardiff on 09:27 - Jun 26 with 2404 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Cardiff on 09:26 - Jun 26 by 1MoreBrightonR

anyone care to post a list of the most expensive championship goalkeepers? other than Pickford, who was from a Prem team who just got relegated, i bet £4 million puts Smithies near the top.

Think Darren Randolph was bought for more last summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024