Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
17 mill and transfer embargo 08:02 - Jul 27 with 21325 viewsstevec

Read it all in my super soaraway Sun but says QPR have agreed the £42 mill settlement and accept a transfer embargo starting Jan 2019.

What a mess

This post has been edited by an administrator
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:01 - Jul 27 with 2413 viewsNorthernr

17 mill and transfer embargo on 09:42 - Jul 27 by Mytch_QPR

Thanks, Clive.

I know you mentioned an article later today - which will be interesting (in a teeth gritting kind of way), but are we now clear of FFP for the foreseeable future? - as you have mentioned and we're well aware we've continued to operate at a loss, so I'm wondering whether we'll fall foul (albeit in a smaller way) for the next 3 year period. I know that losses up to a certain percentage of turnover are acceptable, so hopefully we're now within these limits.

Current FFP regs are £39m loss over rolling three year periods. First two sets of accounts we lost £11m and £7m which is good, but with reduced parachute payment and no Sterling money the losses in the third set of accounts may well be more than that and put us close to the mark.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:02 - Jul 27 with 2410 views18StoneOfHoop

17 mill and transfer embargo on 09:59 - Jul 27 by Northernr

There's no money to buy players anyway so it makes little difference.

But Sainsbury trying to get over the line a permanent deal, prior to embargo, for loadsamoney seems like bad mad old spending a la Chris Samba from China? How's that possible with these austere conditions?

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sainsbury-s-been-a-long-time-target-says-qpr-bos
[Post edited 27 Jul 2018 14:36]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:03 - Jul 27 with 2403 viewsNorthernr

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:02 - Jul 27 by 18StoneOfHoop

But Sainsbury trying to get over the line a permanent deal, prior to embargo, for loadsamoney seems like bad mad old spending a la Chris Samba from China? How's that possible with these austere conditions?

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sainsbury-s-been-a-long-time-target-says-qpr-bos
[Post edited 27 Jul 2018 14:36]

Who said he's costing loads of money?
Might not be him anyway, they're looking at options.
And it'll be paid for out of the Smithies money.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:03 - Jul 27 with 2397 viewsLythamR

17 mill and transfer embargo on 09:48 - Jul 27 by ElHoop

That may be the case, but you can't add the £20m fine + costs to the £21m loan to equity conversion and say that we've been fined £41m!!!

The clueless rubbish figure of £41m might be double counting or it might be adding the fine to other losses, but it's not a £41m fine ffs!!

well I didnt,
all sorts of outlets are bandying big numbers and calling it fines to make headlines,

"QPR agree 17M fine plus a paper tidy up of existing company deb"
just isnt as sexy as
"QPR in 41m fine shocker"
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:06 - Jul 27 with 2369 viewsElHoop

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:03 - Jul 27 by LythamR

well I didnt,
all sorts of outlets are bandying big numbers and calling it fines to make headlines,

just isnt as sexy as

Well I didn't mean you as in 'you' - I meant you as in the Current Bun and all who sail with it.

But it's not a £41m fine in any shape or form - where's Sean Spicer when you need him?
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:09 - Jul 27 with 2348 viewsMytch_QPR

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:03 - Jul 27 by LythamR

well I didnt,

just isnt as sexy as

As an aside (but talking about accuracy of reporting) did anyone notice the blindingly obvious error in this article?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44861178

Interestingly, the BBC Sport site fails to mention anything about the FFP situation as far as I can see.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2018 10:11]

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:10 - Jul 27 with 2337 viewsMaggsinho

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:06 - Jul 27 by ElHoop

Well I didn't mean you as in 'you' - I meant you as in the Current Bun and all who sail with it.

But it's not a £41m fine in any shape or form - where's Sean Spicer when you need him?

This is why it's a great shame that the use of one, instead of you has fallen out of use.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:11 - Jul 27 with 2322 viewsLythamR

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:06 - Jul 27 by ElHoop

ah ok :)
Login to get fewer ads

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:13 - Jul 27 with 2302 viewsElHoop

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:11 - Jul 27 by LythamR

ah ok :)

You can duck off and all lol.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:13 - Jul 27 with 2297 viewsrobith

17 mill and transfer embargo on 09:53 - Jul 27 by Stanisgod

Glad everyone thinks the transfer embargo is cushy

I don't, but you compare when we've gotten it (essentially 3/4 years afterwards) and it means that unlike other teams who've been strung for their talent and left unable to replace it, we've been able to move those players on and built a more robust (albeit probably lower mid table) squad that's as unlikely to be pillaged.

It's gonna be bloody tough, but it's a much better situation than say Blackburn or Forest got imo
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:14 - Jul 27 with 2294 viewsstevec

17 mill and transfer embargo on 09:02 - Jul 27 by DejR_vu

Good to finally have a resolution.

Not convinced having the fine payable over 10 years is necessarily a good thing. Think it could be quite a cross to bear given what the ABC loan did to us. This way it will become a liability on the balance sheet so that, to me, is death by a thousand cuts as we can barely survive now with parachute money and no £1.7m annual liability. If the club is sold, it will be taken in to account in the sale price but the cub's effectively worthless as an asset to the owners anyway given the external debt so this won't make any difference to the value they would receive i.e. Once the debt exceeds the value of the club it doesn't make any difference if the debt is £100 more or £100m more, it becomes worthless as an asset either way. This is not the same as the owners covering the debt unless they inject the full amount now and place the funds in ESCROW to meet future liabilities as they become due.

That's about right.

Also, if the club is sold I assume the portion of the £17m owed will still be the football clubs debt. Not quite how TF sold it to us at the end of last season interview.

I'm loving how some people seem made up that the club now has an extra £17m of debt to see off and the added bonus of not having the tiresome issue of searching for players from the start of next year.

RE-FÚCKING-SULT.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:16 - Jul 27 with 2259 viewsdaveB

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:14 - Jul 27 by stevec

That's about right.

Also, if the club is sold I assume the portion of the £17m owed will still be the football clubs debt. Not quite how TF sold it to us at the end of last season interview.

I'm loving how some people seem made up that the club now has an extra £17m of debt to see off and the added bonus of not having the tiresome issue of searching for players from the start of next year.

RE-FÚCKING-SULT.

all relative though, 17 million paid over 10 years is better than 41 million paid now

It's not great by any stretch but we broke the rules so were always going to get some kind of fine
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:18 - Jul 27 with 2241 viewsNorthernr

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:14 - Jul 27 by stevec

That's about right.

RE-FÚCKING-SULT.

Did you think we were just going to get a slap on the wrist?
It's was a flagrant, disgusting breach of the rules.
Also it doesn't saddle the club with debt if they continue to convert the money owed to them into equity.

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:25 - Jul 27 with 2179 viewsterryb

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:01 - Jul 27 by Northernr

Current FFP regs are £39m loss over rolling three year periods. First two sets of accounts we lost £11m and £7m which is good, but with reduced parachute payment and no Sterling money the losses in the third set of accounts may well be more than that and put us close to the mark.

Thanks for this post Clive.

What supporters need to understand is that IF the loss for last season was circas £15 million (a figure I plucked from thin air & just as an illustration) that would give us a combined loss of £23 million going into this season. Thus we would need to keep the loss for 2018/19 to less than £16 million to stay within FFP. If the loss for 2017/18 was £20 million, we would have a target of a loss less than £11 million to make!

Therefore, we still have no money to spend on transfers & need to cut costs a lot more!

IMO our owners have come out of this dispute a lot more favourably than they deserved.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:25 - Jul 27 with 2177 viewsloftus77

Thanks to Clive and others.

I don't want to be niave here but this sounds like bluddy good news - or at least as good as it could possibly be under the circs - if these stories are confirmed in the upcoming press release.

Yes, £17m is a hit, but should not hurt us too much over a 10 year period. And an embargo for Jan 2019 as probably no bad thing (when has a 'non-embargo' in Jan ever helped us in reality??) if McClaren can do some smart business next month (Aug). Have to wonder whether that embargo includes emergency loans in Jan if winter injuries cripple us - I suspect not.

Have to say well done to Tony, Les and Lee at thi sstage if this is all true. Bottom line is we knowingly broke the rules - we were always going to get something. This seems like the least worst outcome.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2018 10:28]
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:30 - Jul 27 with 2117 viewsstevec

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:25 - Jul 27 by loftus77

I don't want to be niave here but this sounds like bluddy good news - or at least as good as it could possibly be under the circs - if these stories are confirmed in the upcoming press release.

Yes, £17m is a hit, but should not hurt us too much over a 10 year period. And an embargo for Jan 2019 as probably no bad thing (when has a 'non-embargo' in Jan ever helped us in reality??) if McClaren can do some smart business next month (Aug). Have to wonder whether that embargo includes emergency loans in Jan if winter injuries cripple us - I suspect not.

Have to say well done to Tony, Les and Lee at thi sstage if this is all true. Bottom line is we knowingly broke the rules - we were always going to get something. This seems like the least worst outcome.

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:33 - Jul 27 with 2091 viewsJamesB1979

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:18 - Jul 27 by Northernr

Did you think we were just going to get a slap on the wrist?
It's was a flagrant, disgusting breach of the rules.
Also it doesn't saddle the club with debt if they continue to convert the money owed to them into equity.

They don’t even have to convert their loans. Shareholder loans are debt purely from accounting perspective. In reality it’s just gives the shareholder who put money in ranking ahead of his other shareholders.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:34 - Jul 27 with 2077 viewsMaggsinho

Good explainer from Dave here:

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-qpr-ffp-questions-answered#.W1rlNlx

Edit, wrong link.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2018 10:35]
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:37 - Jul 27 with 2037 viewsIrish_Hoop

It's worth remembering that the shareholder loans that have been capitalised carried a very high rate of interest which, without checking the figures, I would guess amounted to a bigger annual cost than the £1.7m we need to pay the EFL every year. Seems like a really good financial outcome to me.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:38 - Jul 27 with 2023 viewsElHoop

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:25 - Jul 27 by loftus77

I'd be interested to know how exaactly this £17m is being treated by the owners. Accounting convention would dictate that we have to write it off now as an expense. The settlement over ten years is just 'terms of payment' - nothing to do with the write off of the expense. So have they been asked to put up the money 'up front' via this loan conversion? I would assume so. So in that respect it's all dealt with.

However, they'll have to pay over £1.7m every year and there's no obligation to convert loans for other reasons into capital (ie to cover ordinary footballing losses). So will they try to get that £1.7m out of normal trading (they'll obviously fail to achieve that most seasons unless we get promoted) and will it affect how we go about rebuilding the club from now on?

Ideally they just take the hit and move forward the way that we've been doing in the last few years. If the fine further reduces our capacity to move forward then that would be sad - we're restricted enough as it is.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:39 - Jul 27 with 2013 viewsrichranger

I'm guessing Smithies, Ned, Robinson and Perch were amongst are highest earners - so- the wage bill should come down quite a bit.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:42 - Jul 27 with 1985 viewsonlyrinmoray

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:00 - Jul 27 by daveB

Outstanding from the Sun here, got the fine wrong and the season it is for wrong. Apart from that spot on

Why does anyone with half a brain buy the Sun is it for the pictures? BTW what does the Football League do with the money clubs pay in fines?
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:44 - Jul 27 with 1972 viewsMaggsinho

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:42 - Jul 27 by onlyrinmoray

Why does anyone with half a brain buy the Sun is it for the pictures? BTW what does the Football League do with the money clubs pay in fines?

It gets donated to charity.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:46 - Jul 27 with 1961 viewsSnipper

So in reality, the best we can ever hope for now supporting our club, is being a mid to lower table Championship club.

FFP severally restricts what we can do, while clubs with bigger gates/revenue, get bigger, we stagnate.

If it wasn’t for the piss up with mates before and after the games, I’d jack it all in.
17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:51 - Jul 27 with 1899 viewsBostonR

17 mill and transfer embargo on 10:46 - Jul 27 by Snipper

So in reality, the best we can ever hope for now supporting our club, is being a mid to lower table Championship club.

FFP severally restricts what we can do, while clubs with bigger gates/revenue, get bigger, we stagnate.

If it wasn’t for the piss up with mates before and after the games, I’d jack it all in.

No. If the club stays in the Championship this season there is nothing to stop the owners throwing the dice again and doing a Wolves next season.

Let's be honest, the sums of money on FFP are chicken-feed for the owners. I am not advocating that approach, but given their long-term commitment to the club and future plans, staying in the Championship does not cut it. Interesting times ahead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024