Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I knew money was tight ATM... 12:35 - Oct 16 with 8828 viewsEsox_Lucius

... but this?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45481218

The grass is always greener.

I knew money was tight ATM... on 18:05 - Oct 16 with 2036 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You lot make it too easy for me. This tongue in cheek by the way, before anyone gets stroppy.

'Ban zero hours contracts — so that every worker gets a guaranteed number of hours each week. Legislate to ensure that any employer wishing to recruit labour from abroad does not undercut workers at home — because it causes divisions when one workforce is used against another'

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/fair-deal-work/
[Post edited 16 Oct 2018 18:15]
I knew money was tight ATM... on 18:55 - Oct 16 with 1944 viewsTW_R

I knew money was tight ATM... on 17:44 - Oct 16 by Northernr

1 - The headline bears no relation to the quote. Incentive based contract doesn't mean play for free.

2 - Him and Robinson were our top earners. We're being hammered by FFP. We were never going to be able to get anywhere near the money they were on and as it turned out neither of them were exactly swamped with offers from clubs who could were they?

3 - That said, by all accounts, the German is on a fair whack, which is what Onuoha is alluding to when he says players were being brought in on similar money to what he was on.

4 - The players knew we couldn't/wouldn't match their demands, we knew we couldn't/wouldn't, so there was no point making an offer at all. But Uncle Tony was getting blasted day and night by the baying Twitter morons and their #announcerobinson bullsht so the club made them token gesture offers that they knew they wouldn't accept so they could publicly say "we've made them offers" and turn it back on the players and Robinson couldn't keep saying in interviews "I've had no offer from QPR". It was, like so much sht at our club, a PR move.

5 - I like Onuoha, I think we miss him, but he did very, very well out of us financially. He admits himself in that story that at 31 he was in a position to not have to work if he didn't have to, and I'm sure we'd all take a bit of that sort of "purgatory" if we could.

This post has been edited by an administrator

So for number 3 that's inferring that Ned would know what the BFG (or other new players) were being offered/paid. Or has he just made some assumptions that may or may not be correct?
I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:01 - Oct 16 with 1874 viewsGroveR

I knew money was tight ATM... on 17:44 - Oct 16 by Northernr

1 - The headline bears no relation to the quote. Incentive based contract doesn't mean play for free.

2 - Him and Robinson were our top earners. We're being hammered by FFP. We were never going to be able to get anywhere near the money they were on and as it turned out neither of them were exactly swamped with offers from clubs who could were they?

3 - That said, by all accounts, the German is on a fair whack, which is what Onuoha is alluding to when he says players were being brought in on similar money to what he was on.

4 - The players knew we couldn't/wouldn't match their demands, we knew we couldn't/wouldn't, so there was no point making an offer at all. But Uncle Tony was getting blasted day and night by the baying Twitter morons and their #announcerobinson bullsht so the club made them token gesture offers that they knew they wouldn't accept so they could publicly say "we've made them offers" and turn it back on the players and Robinson couldn't keep saying in interviews "I've had no offer from QPR". It was, like so much sht at our club, a PR move.

5 - I like Onuoha, I think we miss him, but he did very, very well out of us financially. He admits himself in that story that at 31 he was in a position to not have to work if he didn't have to, and I'm sure we'd all take a bit of that sort of "purgatory" if we could.

This post has been edited by an administrator

5 was what prompted my original post and grips my shìt slightly. Isn't he saying "if you're not around the playoffs the money's good, everyone drives on the left and speaks English so why wouldn't you phone it in?"

The out of contract list is interesting as I'm guessing all those players bar Scott Golbourne have just run down £50k+ a week contracts they didn't justify. Haven't a clue won Lacina Traore is though.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:09 - Oct 16 with 1865 viewsbosh67

I'll be honest, it depends what the incentive was but it doesn't reflect well on the club and comes across as insulting.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:11 - Oct 16 with 1862 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:01 - Oct 16 by GroveR

5 was what prompted my original post and grips my shìt slightly. Isn't he saying "if you're not around the playoffs the money's good, everyone drives on the left and speaks English so why wouldn't you phone it in?"

The out of contract list is interesting as I'm guessing all those players bar Scott Golbourne have just run down £50k+ a week contracts they didn't justify. Haven't a clue won Lacina Traore is though.

There was a clip floating round here of Wayne Rooney tracking back about 60 yards and carrying out this immense tackle on a winger while playing for the Denver DIckheads or whichever team he plays for now.

He's a chap I'd imagine could have afforded to retire at 22. You either have it or you haven't.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:39 - Oct 16 with 1824 viewsBlackCrowe

It's such a crap story this.

No company would ask anyone to work for free with any expectation of it happening. Probabkt went along the lines of 'all we can offer you is pay-per-play kind of arrangement but completely understand if that doesn't work for you.

And as others have said, he's earned an absolute fortune by anyone of us mere mortals standards, certainly enough to live a super comfy life without having to work again if he chooses. Unless he's spunked it, in which case that's his problem.

Still great oppo for Bazza to preach his endless Young Ones Rik drivel. Poor old millionaire Ned on zero hours contract/

So the story is clearly sensationalist but consistent with the BBC becoming more that way by the day to try and get hits in an attempt for relevancy.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:42 - Oct 16 with 1820 viewsBlackCrowe

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:52 - Oct 16 with 1803 viewsjonno

I knew money was tight ATM... on 14:15 - Oct 16 by qprd

I have to imagine this is an overstatement by ned- meaning that if he tore his acl before the season and missed the entire season, he'd make nothing. not sure such a contract would be enforceable as a matter of uk employment law

ned said he was leaving qpr b/c he wanted to be closer to his family in the north. based off this article and the fact that he ended up in bumblef**k usa, its clear his his decision to leave qpr had to do with his wages... not sure how he credible he is on this point

Certainly looks that way. Personally, I never believe footballers or managers who say they want to be somewhere for family reasons because football, by its nature, involves moving around the country or even abroad fairly often. Therefore I never really believed Onuoha's reason for not signing the new contract he was offered. It was far more likely to be because the Club were offering him a realistic salary within its budget which he wasn't prepared to accept, believing he could earn more elsewhere in England, which of course he is quite entitled to do. Doesn't seem to have worked out for him in this instance though. It's fairly obvious the Club would not have asked him to play for nothing - why would they even if it were legally possible which it almost certainly isn't?
Login to get fewer ads

I knew money was tight ATM... on 23:03 - Oct 16 with 1682 viewskensalriser

I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:52 - Oct 16 by jonno

Certainly looks that way. Personally, I never believe footballers or managers who say they want to be somewhere for family reasons because football, by its nature, involves moving around the country or even abroad fairly often. Therefore I never really believed Onuoha's reason for not signing the new contract he was offered. It was far more likely to be because the Club were offering him a realistic salary within its budget which he wasn't prepared to accept, believing he could earn more elsewhere in England, which of course he is quite entitled to do. Doesn't seem to have worked out for him in this instance though. It's fairly obvious the Club would not have asked him to play for nothing - why would they even if it were legally possible which it almost certainly isn't?

What might be credible is if Ned planned to leave all along and when he hadn't had an offer by the start of the season, the club offered to keep him on short term so he could train and keep up his fitness. I said might, it's still a stretch.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 1:29]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

I knew money was tight ATM... on 23:18 - Oct 16 with 1673 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:39 - Oct 16 by BlackCrowe

No company would ask anyone to work for free with any expectation of it happening. Probabkt went along the lines of 'all we can offer you is pay-per-play kind of arrangement but completely understand if that doesn't work for you.

And as others have said, he's earned an absolute fortune by anyone of us mere mortals standards, certainly enough to live a super comfy life without having to work again if he chooses. Unless he's spunked it, in which case that's his problem.

Still great oppo for Bazza to preach his endless Young Ones Rik drivel. Poor old millionaire Ned on zero hours contract/

So the story is clearly sensationalist but consistent with the BBC becoming more that way by the day to try and get hits in an attempt for relevancy.

Keep your knickers on treacle, I did say it was a piss take.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 23:31 - Oct 16 with 1663 viewsHunterhoop

1) the article is clearly BS. Incentivised does not mean play for free. That said it was clearly a lot less.

2) Onouha was widely reported as signing for £50k per week initially. Insane money but less than several others at the time.

3) He took a 50% paycut when he signed his renewal. That was also widely reported. Based on the reporting of his first deal, that’s £25k. Still big money, certainly for us, but for Champ footballers, that is just pretty good money nowadays, which is exactly what he was at this level; pretty good.

4) if you’re asked to take another big cut, you can see why he’d say “no”. Club captain, 230 odd appearances, longest serving player, and Players’ Player of the Year. And if we’re signing someone new on similar money, it’s even more understandable.

Is Leistner as good as Onouha? At the minute? No, nowhere near in my book. But Onouha is 31 soon to be 32. Leistner is younger, and once used to English football, could be as good or better. I can see why the club did what they did. It was probably right for both parties.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 01:11 - Oct 17 with 1614 viewsBoston

Some chatter from Utah, strangely the QPR man was not on board

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

I knew money was tight ATM... on 01:16 - Oct 17 with 1612 viewsBoston

oh, for those who aren't twits, click on the bird to read.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

I knew money was tight ATM... on 08:17 - Oct 17 with 1526 viewsTheChef

I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:39 - Oct 16 by BlackCrowe

BBC.

Relevant.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

I knew money was tight ATM... on 09:12 - Oct 17 with 1475 viewsGroveR

I knew money was tight ATM... on 01:11 - Oct 17 by Boston

Some chatter from Utah, strangely the QPR man was not on board

"He joins a defense that has seven shutouts and a 1.64 goals against average in 28 matches this season."

Bless. I love American soccer talk. It's like someone trying to describe the act of making love but they're only allowed to use a slide rule and the periodic table.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 10:03 - Oct 17 with 1408 viewsLunarJetman

I knew money was tight ATM... on 20:09 - Oct 16 by bosh67

I'll be honest, it depends what the incentive was but it doesn't reflect well on the club and comes across as insulting.

Rather that it reflects on the reality of our situation now that we can't just keep paying big money wages any more....
I knew money was tight ATM... on 11:50 - Oct 19 with 1159 viewsDorse

I knew money was tight ATM... on 09:12 - Oct 17 by GroveR

"He joins a defense that has seven shutouts and a 1.64 goals against average in 28 matches this season."

Bless. I love American soccer talk. It's like someone trying to describe the act of making love but they're only allowed to use a slide rule and the periodic table.

'Real Salty Pond FC announces the recruitification of defensive end Needa Manure. He joins Chet Gundercrust (nose tackle) and Huck Bench-Press Jr (running back) in the defensive special team for the road trip to the Ocelot Spungoes in the Conference West Central League Regular Season Round XVI'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024