Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. 20:56 - Nov 17 with 12438 viewsHadders

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00016fp

Interesting programme presented by our own Clarke Carlisle about racism in football in the 70s and 80s, with quite a lot about Bob Hazell as well as our charming neighbours in blue. Those too young to remember can take it from me: racial abuse in grounds was loud, constant and vicious. In my case, I'm white, but it disgusted me so much, it put me off going for years.
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:00 - Nov 18 with 3344 viewssmegma

Clark Carlisle talking about racism n football in the 70s. He was born in 1979 so better get an expert in eh ??
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:01 - Nov 18 with 3344 viewscaliforniahoop

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 17:39 - Nov 18 by MrSheen

I only started going to games regularly about 1979, but the only large-scale racist chanting I can remember from our fans was in the cup run. Bananas thrown at Cyrille Regis at Highbury and people singing “Spurs are on the way to Auschwitz”. I didn’t understand why it had suddenly happened, maybe success had brought a few old timers out of the woodwork.

I remember that Hazell own goal at West Ham. Me and my friends were too chicken to go in the away end so we were incognito with the home fans. It seemed like everyone was joining in with the song. And Charlton was a huge old slum of a ground. There was a medieval battle going on on that huge weed covered terrace with small bands charging each other waving lumps of wood while the game continued. Plenty of aging skinheads selling National Front News outside. Memorable day out

Now you mention about charlton’s old ground and lumps of concrete, I remember going there in the late 70’? And groups of fans running back and forth around that old stadium, funny the things you forget.
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:19 - Nov 18 with 3330 viewspaulparker

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 12:27 - Nov 18 by BrixtonR

It always winds me up when people go on about how racist Millwall were. As someone who went to Millwall regularly from 83-84 to 87-88 if Rangers weren't playing or I couldn't make an away game. Apart from Luton away (still gutted) I saw every game in the 84-85 cup run… Scum away a particular highlight 3-2 Fash the bash. The thing is Millwall were possibly less racist than Rangers in those days....I shall come to that. Remember Millwall played near New Cross with a large black population. They probably had one of the highest proportion of black geezers in regard to London clubs who watched them in those days. To be fair maybe them us and Arsenal were the most cosmopolitan then. There top boy T was black and they had a lot of Turkish geezers in their firm.

The wannabe racist team in SE London was Charlton with their B-MOB and Zulu song etc. They really were racist. I think because they are a sad trainspotting anorak wearing, joke wrong un club they adopted racism to compensate for their inferiority complex to Millwall. The funny thing is Rangers used to batter them in those days. Fck Chelsea don't ever forget Charlton biggest crowds in 81-82 and 82-83 were against Terry Venables blue and white army NOT against fkin Chelsea. I’m sure we outnumbered the wrong un cnts in 82-83 but both times they got properly run across the East terrace (the only thing big about that sad muggy club) Plus according to my Millwall mate who went with a Charlton mate and was in the sparsely populated away terrace in 82-83 (they bought way less than 1,000) Rangers absolutely destroyed them after the game with sticks hammers and baseball bats. To re-establish there somewhat diminished manhood the BMob had to abuse and racially abuse 14 year olds on the train from Charing Cross and then rob a shop in Blackheath — probably the Childrens section of Pares Footware. Oh and Charlton used to call Rangers firm the Black brigade to get back on topic.

Anyway it makes me laugh when Rangers fans say there was no racism at Rangers the biggest loudest song at the semi final (apart from 'who the fckin hell are you to the scruffy fat ugly WBA mugs) was ‘Whose that up a tree its Cyrille its Cyrille’ By the way I’m not saying our fanbase was racist, people just said racist things its just how it was.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2018 12:06]

Funny you say that mate the only 2 times I’ve heard anything racist was at HQ
The first was in 86 possibly 87 when we played West Ham I think it was the 3-2 game
Leroy Rodenior comes over to the ER to take a quick throw as we were losing, a large group of West Ham were at the front of the stand( our ground was always invaded when we played West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal , spurs) Leroy went to get the ballehen one of them did the monkey gesture in front of him ( ironic he would play for them the season after )
The second when one of our own was calling impey , “chimpey” this bloke was a particular loudmouth who was always getting thrown out for a having a big gob with not much else to back it up , other than that I’ve never heard it at any other ground I’ve been to

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 22:19 - Nov 18 with 3284 viewsBrixtonR

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:19 - Nov 18 by paulparker

Funny you say that mate the only 2 times I’ve heard anything racist was at HQ
The first was in 86 possibly 87 when we played West Ham I think it was the 3-2 game
Leroy Rodenior comes over to the ER to take a quick throw as we were losing, a large group of West Ham were at the front of the stand( our ground was always invaded when we played West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal , spurs) Leroy went to get the ballehen one of them did the monkey gesture in front of him ( ironic he would play for them the season after )
The second when one of our own was calling impey , “chimpey” this bloke was a particular loudmouth who was always getting thrown out for a having a big gob with not much else to back it up , other than that I’ve never heard it at any other ground I’ve been to

Yeah mate i don't think Rangers were that bad at all it's just the way that people always add Millwall to the Chelsea, Leeds and Liverpool/Everton axis.

The thing about Millwall from what Lblock said and the poster who mentioned 2013-2014 is that nowadays the younger lads maybe do act racist.
I think it's because of them trying to live up to the unfounded acusations from the old days and the fact that cos of white flight and the yuppie incursion of Bermondsey the Millwall area starts at Eltham and then goes out to Dartford/ Rochester etc via Welling Bexleyheath which have a very different demographic to Bermonsey/New Cross even back in the day.

Was the Chimpey bloke in the loft ? I think I remrember him and the abuse he used to give Leroy as well ? If it was him To be fair by about 1986 he got shouted down most of the time
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 22:23]
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 23:00 - Nov 18 with 3252 viewsCiderwithRsie

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:00 - Nov 18 by smegma

Clark Carlisle talking about racism n football in the 70s. He was born in 1979 so better get an expert in eh ??

He presented the programme, the people actually talking about it were the likes of Bob Hazell and Paul Mortimer. Maybe more 80s than 70s but they were there alright.
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 23:01 - Nov 18 with 3252 viewsdistortR

last time i heard concerted racist behaviour was at sheff wed in the 3-1 promotion winning game. I was in their end, and it was shocking because, well, i figured that as a mass, people had matured out of that by then. Furlong got vile abuse, didn't react, didn't let it get to him, rammed it back down their throats with his superb goal. I hold him in such high esteem.

edit - to add to BrixtonR's comments about villifying opposition fans, our lot used to sometimes drink with a few of the Chelsea Independent lot, a good bunch who confronted racism at the bridge at no inconsiderable risk to themselves.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 23:06]
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 00:12 - Nov 19 with 3216 viewscaliforniahoop

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 23:01 - Nov 18 by distortR

last time i heard concerted racist behaviour was at sheff wed in the 3-1 promotion winning game. I was in their end, and it was shocking because, well, i figured that as a mass, people had matured out of that by then. Furlong got vile abuse, didn't react, didn't let it get to him, rammed it back down their throats with his superb goal. I hold him in such high esteem.

edit - to add to BrixtonR's comments about villifying opposition fans, our lot used to sometimes drink with a few of the Chelsea Independent lot, a good bunch who confronted racism at the bridge at no inconsiderable risk to themselves.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 23:06]

Respect to them!
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 00:27 - Nov 19 with 3211 viewsBoston

a/ I’m afraid to say Mona had hearing problems in the 70’s
b/ Yes, we turned Charlton over on a number of occasions.
c/ Never found Millwall to be particularly racist.
d/ We’re the finest football team the world has ever seen.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 12:47 - Nov 19 with 3058 viewsManinBlack

It wasn't just about colour as I recall the 1982 cup final replay and our fans singing, "He's just a Scottish jew" at Steve Archibald. There was a neutral Scot standing nearby who went ballistic and started chanting for Spurs which was rather brave in the middle of R's fans.
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 13:00 - Nov 19 with 3051 viewstraininvain

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 08:42 - Nov 18 by californiahoop

Agreed, I nearly stopped going QPR as a kid, we had no black players and as you pointed out, some of the stuff coming from our own wasn’t pleasant, some of these scum bags are still at LR or their offspring are!

Which probably explains the Drogba song from a few years ago.
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 18:24 - Nov 19 with 2874 viewsingeminate

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 13:56 - Nov 18 by charmr

Agreed about the West Ham game, it was so intense and literally everyone. I was on the side with my Dad who stopped taking me to away games after that. A close second was at SB whenLangley scored.

Went to Leeds away on the train and on the way home a local having digs about the colour of my friend with me. Ugliest thing I’ve witnessed. Steve just said he was a bit used to it. We were literally just sitting on the train at Leeds station on our way home. The day we lost 6-1.

Extra brainless as no doubt he’d been cheering every one of Brian Deane’s 4 goals.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2018 18:29]

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 18:03 - Nov 20 with 2668 viewsMonahoop

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 00:27 - Nov 19 by Boston

a/ I’m afraid to say Mona had hearing problems in the 70’s
b/ Yes, we turned Charlton over on a number of occasions.
c/ Never found Millwall to be particularly racist.
d/ We’re the finest football team the world has ever seen.

Nothing wrong with my audio radars back in the day. Bit dodgy now though, but this is probably more to do with selective hearing than general deterioration. That happens has you a you get older especially with us blokes!

Honestly Boston, I never heard much if any racial remarks from R's fans back then, but a good bit from some visiting teams. I went to a lot of games with a black Caribbean mate who followed the R's. Never did I hear a bad word, not even from the hard core mob then on the Loft terraces. Always quite civil...to a point, compared to some teams fans and they need no introduction from me. I'm quite sad to read from others on this forum just how racist a lot of our fans were in the 70's 80's and 90's. Mob rule and all that I suppose. Could be I was more tuned into watching the games than programming in to some other Herberts in the stands, deranged opinions and views.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:45 - Nov 20 with 2576 viewsqprxtc

Two moments with Rangers stick out for me.

First was start of 85/86 when we had just bought Leroy. Not sure if it was the Ipswich game at the start but it was a sunny afternoon and I was in the middle of the Loft. Leroy I think had come on as a sub and when he got the ball this bloke in sunglasses had a bit of a fit, started shouting ‘The only reason I follow you Rangers is cause you have no blacks’.

There’s a bit of a moments silince when, to tbeir credit, the middle of the Loft start singing ‘Who’s the w@nker in the shades’

Not sure what happened to him but did t hear him again.

The next was New Years Day 1991 up at Bramall Lane. On the terrace and Sheff U get a corner and Brian Deane is by the post near the Rangers fans when three of four blokes start giving it the monkey chant. Deane hears it and starts giving it back to them, he’s pretty peed off.

I’d seen those blokes before and since and never heard them do it bar then.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 21:47]
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 22:01 - Nov 20 with 2560 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:45 - Nov 20 by qprxtc

Two moments with Rangers stick out for me.

First was start of 85/86 when we had just bought Leroy. Not sure if it was the Ipswich game at the start but it was a sunny afternoon and I was in the middle of the Loft. Leroy I think had come on as a sub and when he got the ball this bloke in sunglasses had a bit of a fit, started shouting ‘The only reason I follow you Rangers is cause you have no blacks’.

There’s a bit of a moments silince when, to tbeir credit, the middle of the Loft start singing ‘Who’s the w@nker in the shades’

Not sure what happened to him but did t hear him again.

The next was New Years Day 1991 up at Bramall Lane. On the terrace and Sheff U get a corner and Brian Deane is by the post near the Rangers fans when three of four blokes start giving it the monkey chant. Deane hears it and starts giving it back to them, he’s pretty peed off.

I’d seen those blokes before and since and never heard them do it bar then.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 21:47]

I was at that Sheff. Utd. game with the usual travelling freinds, xtc, and Deane was getting booed for, well for being Deane. We saw Deane do the monkey chants and everyone 'round our bit of the terrace went mad at him because we thought he'd imagined it and was unfairly labelling us racists. Disappointed to learn, many years later, that Rangers fans did actually make monkey noises. Only a few of them, I suppose, but still disappointing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 22:10 - Nov 20 with 2556 viewsqprxtc

Yeah, it was a bit of a shock Brian as those fellas never came across like that. We all do or have done things we regret and I hope for them that’s one of them.
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 00:11 - Nov 21 with 2477 viewsBoston

Anyway to get back to the monkee noises...I’m still waiting for them to come to my town, hey hey.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2018 0:22]

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 13:56 - Nov 21 with 2366 viewsplasmahoop

Some of the worst racist stuff I saw was at Gillingham. I lived there for a few years in the 90 s/early 2000s, and they played Sheffield Wednesday in the cup. Loads of monkey noises aimed at des walker and other chants and he looked really upset. A few years later though they had a better team with a few black players. Iffy onoura got a load of racist abuse from one guy and he got decked by other members of the crowd, so that was progress I suppose!
I did enjoy our 1 nil win there though in 2001, gave me braggi g rights at work for a while!
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 15:50 - Nov 21 with 2312 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:00 - Nov 18 by smegma

Mary Beard talking about classical Roman society in the BC60s. She was born in 1955 so better get an expert in eh ??
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 20:20 - Nov 21 with 2196 viewsBoston

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 13:56 - Nov 21 by plasmahoop

Some of the worst racist stuff I saw was at Gillingham. I lived there for a few years in the 90 s/early 2000s, and they played Sheffield Wednesday in the cup. Loads of monkey noises aimed at des walker and other chants and he looked really upset. A few years later though they had a better team with a few black players. Iffy onoura got a load of racist abuse from one guy and he got decked by other members of the crowd, so that was progress I suppose!
I did enjoy our 1 nil win there though in 2001, gave me braggi g rights at work for a while!

Great night that, packed like sardines on the terrace and then the late goal, what a racket we made on the way home.

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 20:22 - Dec 2 with 1946 viewsaston_hoop

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham/tottenham-fan-arrested-for-t

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 20:43 - Dec 2 with 1920 viewssmegma

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 20:22 - Dec 2 by aston_hoop

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham/tottenham-fan-arrested-for-t

The headline isn't true as much as the act is disgusting.
The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 20:50 - Dec 2 with 1909 viewsaston_hoop

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 20:43 - Dec 2 by smegma

The headline isn't true as much as the act is disgusting.

why, what actually happened?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 21:58 - Dec 2 with 1852 viewsBoston

The good old days: monkey noises and bananas. on 20:50 - Dec 2 by aston_hoop

why, what actually happened?

Spurs fan tried to make Gooner slip up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024