Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket World Cup thread. 10:09 - May 21 with 54451 viewsSnipper

Jofra Archer has been named in the squad, and rightly so. He offers genuine pace and he’s still relatively unknown to the other teams. I don’t agree with the omission of David Willey though. I wouldn’t have had Liam Dawson. But hey ho.

This is the first round robin CWC since Australia/New Zealand in 1992. For me, that was the best CWC. Australia were big favourites, but lost their first four games. England are big favourites for this one. Let’s hope we get off to a better start.

Come on England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:06 - Jul 15 with 1643 viewsRangersw12

Cricket World Cup thread. on 08:49 - Jul 15 by isawqpratwcity

Would have been done and dusted by the 30th over without that bloke born in Christchurch.

And?

England is a diverse country and everyone is welcome , I know you Aussies don't like that sort of thing though
Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:12 - Jul 15 with 1627 viewsRangersw12

Still buzzing from yesterday

An amazing achievement , we've been the best one day side for a couple of years now and were the best side in the tournament but to win it by centimetres is pure English as where is the fun in winning by 6 wickets!!

Feel sorry for NZ though saw 2 of their group games and their fans were superb and far better than their neighbours who barely turned up in any numbers
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 9:14]
Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:19 - Jul 15 with 1607 viewsCamberleyR

Would have been done and dusted by the 30th over without that bloke born in Christchurch.

Careful not to choke yourself on those sour grapes. He's been in England since the age of 12 and learnt his cricket here. Would you be acting so pompously if Australia had won it with a match winning performance from Pakistani born Usman Khawaja?

Being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:24 - Jul 15 with 1579 viewsElHoop

Amazing final to a World Cup which never really got going until yesterday - one of the greatest games I've seen in any sport.

15 off 4 seemed impossible in the circumstances and yet somehow Stokes got 14. There's some debate about the 'overthrow' six - Cricinfo are suggesting that it should only have been 5 as the batsmen hadn't crossed when the fielder threw the ball, but the rule itself isn't too clear either. Anyhow it was what it was and we won and that's that. Fantastic for cricket and well done to Sky for letting everyone see it for free. It came home.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:41 - Jul 15 with 1504 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That is some bitter statement.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:44 - Jul 15 with 1496 viewsfrancisbowles

Wow!

1966 4-2 after extra time and that controversial 3rd goal!

2003 20-17 after extra time and that last minute drop goal!

2019 243 each after last ball with those two very fortunate late sixes, then 15-15 after super over and win on boundaries!

When we win a World cup it feels like we have all been on the field, exhausting!
Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:48 - Jul 15 with 1487 viewsSnipper

I know you live in Australia, and cheer Australia on, but as a matter of interest, where were you born?

And how many Pacific Islanders have played for the Australian rugby national team? Don’t get me started on how many have played for the All Blacks.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:56 - Jul 15 with 1450 viewsdaveB

Cricket World Cup thread. on 02:16 - Jul 15 by Kiwi76

Agreed .
But bollix to number of bloody 4’s!
England stuffed us in round robin & think that would’ve been better decider

Thats the rules though, in the group stage net run rate got New Zealand through, if it went on head to head that would have been out
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:58 - Jul 15 with 1443 viewsDorse

What a fantastic world cup! 7 weeks, 48 games and a final that was the most gripping sporting event I have ever seen! Frankly, every player on both teams deserves recognition. I doubt we'll ever see a more closely contested match. I am just glad England won!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:16 - Jul 15 with 1392 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:06 - Jul 15 by Rangersw12

And?

England is a diverse country and everyone is welcome , I know you Aussies don't like that sort of thing though

Wasn't immigration a huge driver of Brexit?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:21 - Jul 15 with 1380 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:19 - Jul 15 by CamberleyR

Careful not to choke yourself on those sour grapes. He's been in England since the age of 12 and learnt his cricket here. Would you be acting so pompously if Australia had won it with a match winning performance from Pakistani born Usman Khawaja?

Being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse.

No, but what if your parents were horses? You might look into his parentage before you use that argument.

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:21 - Jul 15 with 1379 viewsloftboy

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:16 - Jul 15 by isawqpratwcity

No, and we aren’t turning this triumph into a Brexit thread.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:31 - Jul 15 with 1353 viewsrunningman75

I used to watch a lot of cricket in the last century at Lords and on terrestrial television. It was lovely to watch a great game of cricket on Channel 4 and I am sure must have got very good ratings. I like many others thought England would choke again but brilliant match and New Zealand did brilliantly as well. I am sure many of the younger generation not heard of cricket so nice for it to get prime time.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:34 - Jul 15 with 1343 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 09:48 - Jul 15 by Snipper

I know you live in Australia, and cheer Australia on, but as a matter of interest, where were you born?

And how many Pacific Islanders have played for the Australian rugby national team? Don’t get me started on how many have played for the All Blacks.

I don't support Australia in all things. I wanted NZ to win yesterday because of my time there and I like to see sides punching above their weight. Never mind the various arguments I keep throwing in, I just believe to decide the game on the number of boundaries was just ridiculous, but them's the rules.

Hammersmith General Hospital. And I lived in the largest Pacific Islander city in the world: Auckland.

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:37 - Jul 15 with 1334 viewsCamberleyR

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:21 - Jul 15 by isawqpratwcity

No, but what if your parents were horses? You might look into his parentage before you use that argument.

So what? His parents are both Kiwis as Khawaja's are Pakistani. The fact is that Stokes hadn't picked up a cricket bat until he moved here at age 12. New Zealand had absolutely NO part in his cricket upbringing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/10345278/England

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:40 - Jul 15 with 1321 viewsBlackCrowe

Superb tweet.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:51 - Jul 15 with 1279 viewsRangersw12

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:16 - Jul 15 by isawqpratwcity

I don’t know ask the 17 million who voted out

One thing though with backward views like yours I’m glad your 1000,s of miles away just embarrassed you “support” the same club as me

Try not to choke on your sour grapes.....
Cricket World Cup thread. on 11:02 - Jul 15 with 1257 viewsjohnhoop

I expect, as for a lot of people, that was the single most exhilarating and exciting climax to any sporting event that I have ever witnessed. When the final run-out happened I felt ecstatic that we’d won but then immensely sorry for the Kiwis who certainly didn’t deserve to lose.
One thing that puzzled me though was the masses of empty seats you could see at Lords, for an occasion that many people would have been desperate to be able to witness live. Would this simply be because of people who’d bought tickets expecting their own national team would be in the final, and when they weren’t didn’t bother to turn up?
Cricket World Cup thread. on 11:37 - Jul 15 with 1199 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:51 - Jul 15 by Rangersw12

I don’t know ask the 17 million who voted out

One thing though with backward views like yours I’m glad your 1000,s of miles away just embarrassed you “support” the same club as me

Try not to choke on your sour grapes.....

That's up to you, sunshine, but remember, for all the vaunted braggadocio of the English press pumping up how good England is, never mind the home ground advantage and the minnow-sized opposition, England didn't win the game, nor the tie-breaker: they won on a 'technicality'!

Cricket World Cup thread. on 11:47 - Jul 15 with 1169 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:37 - Jul 15 by CamberleyR

So what? His parents are both Kiwis as Khawaja's are Pakistani. The fact is that Stokes hadn't picked up a cricket bat until he moved here at age 12. New Zealand had absolutely NO part in his cricket upbringing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/10345278/England

Fact? [Your emphasis]

Show me where it says "hadn't picked up a cricket bat until he moved here at age 12. New Zealand had absolutely NO part in his cricket upbringing."

The story seems to grow with your retelling.

Cricket World Cup thread. on 11:56 - Jul 15 with 1149 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:21 - Jul 15 by loftboy

No, and we aren’t turning this triumph into a Brexit thread.

'Course it was, Loftboy. Sleazebag Farage morphed effortlessly from UKIP because it was largely the same agenda.

I'm happy to leave Brexit out, though, but I wouldn't describe yesterday as a 'triumph', more a technical advantage when everything else was tied (except the number of wickets taken).

Cricket World Cup thread. on 11:58 - Jul 15 with 1143 viewsElHoop

Here's the latest on that extra run:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27194046/umpires-made-error-judgement-aw
Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:03 - Jul 15 with 1126 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 11:58 - Jul 15 by ElHoop

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27194046/umpires-made-error-judgement-aw

Thanks for posting that.

Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:05 - Jul 15 with 1120 viewsSnipper

Ok, just say we were awarded 5 runs instead of 6, we’d have needed 2 to draw off the final ball.

Ben Stokes purposely played the last ball into a gap guaranteeing 1 run, but obviously were after 2 runs. If we’d needed 2 runs, he’d have leathered it and we may have won without a super over.

We will never know.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:08 - Jul 15 with 1108 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Fascinating.
We can only speculate on what would have happened next though.

But we know what the records show at least.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024