Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket World Cup thread. 10:09 - May 21 with 54448 viewsSnipper

Jofra Archer has been named in the squad, and rightly so. He offers genuine pace and he’s still relatively unknown to the other teams. I don’t agree with the omission of David Willey though. I wouldn’t have had Liam Dawson. But hey ho.

This is the first round robin CWC since Australia/New Zealand in 1992. For me, that was the best CWC. Australia were big favourites, but lost their first four games. England are big favourites for this one. Let’s hope we get off to a better start.

Come on England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:10 - Jul 15 with 1839 viewsSnipper

Cricket World Cup thread. on 11:37 - Jul 15 by isawqpratwcity

That's up to you, sunshine, but remember, for all the vaunted braggadocio of the English press pumping up how good England is, never mind the home ground advantage and the minnow-sized opposition, England didn't win the game, nor the tie-breaker: they won on a 'technicality'!

That minnow sized opposition also have the best rugby union team in the world.

Should we not feel good when we beat them.

You’re coming across as a really bitter person fella. Whether you like it or not, you’re bloody English. Just enjoy a World Cup win ffs.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:10 - Jul 15 with 1838 viewsHantsR

That was an exhilarating finish to an absorbing game. I felt great respect for NZ who must have felt a bit like our own oppositon did on 24.05.14, but didn't appear to resort to 'F***ing w***ers or any other insult as far as I can see. Those two extraordinary sixes by Stokes were largely of their own making as they should have been caught out and 2 runs respectively.

I think I felt more relieved than jubilant about the result and restricted myself to a fine red wine rather than champagne - also, that OASIS song has become an ear worm for me!!
Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:19 - Jul 15 with 1808 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:05 - Jul 15 by Snipper

Ok, just say we were awarded 5 runs instead of 6, we’d have needed 2 to draw off the final ball.

Ben Stokes purposely played the last ball into a gap guaranteeing 1 run, but obviously were after 2 runs. If we’d needed 2 runs, he’d have leathered it and we may have won without a super over.

We will never know.

Don't forget Stokes would have been at the other end. Puts a different complexion on things.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:22 - Jul 15 with 1802 viewsElHoop

Ok, just say we were awarded 5 runs instead of 6, we’d have needed 2 to draw off the final ball.

Ben Stokes purposely played the last ball into a gap guaranteeing 1 run, but obviously were after 2 runs. If we’d needed 2 runs, he’d have leathered it and we may have won without a super over.

We will never know.

Rashid seemed a bit annoyed with Stokes when he was run out - I think that he fancied getting the runs himself. If they'd given it as 5, everything would have been different, that's for sure, but you certainly couldn't be sure that the error won the game for us. Anyhow, we won. Amazing - they'll talk about it for as long as they talk about cricket.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:28 - Jul 15 with 1785 viewsSnipper

Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:19 - Jul 15 by isawqpratwcity

Don't forget Stokes would have been at the other end. Puts a different complexion on things.

Erm, we had 2 balls left. Rashid is no mug with the bat. We could well have won with the next ball.

As I said earlier, we’ll never know.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:29 - Jul 15 with 1776 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:10 - Jul 15 by Snipper

You’re coming across as a really bitter person fella. Whether you like it or not, you’re bloody English. Just enjoy a World Cup win ffs.

Of course you should.

So enjoy your World Cup. You won it, it doesn't matter how.

Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:59 - Jul 15 with 1684 viewsthame_hoops

We will never know.

^this 100%

I was surprised it wasn’t hit for 4 as Boult got the Yorker wrong and it ended up being a poor bowl, he got lucky imo
Cricket World Cup thread. on 13:16 - Jul 15 with 1626 viewsLblock

England as a nation are quite small in relation to the rest of the world.

Within this tiny island of ours those who identify as English are also only a portion of the population.

When we win anything I feel we're punching above our weight.

It's only recently really that sport has anything like the level of investment in infrastructure that it should've had.

All that aside.... LOVELY TO BE ONE OF VERY FEW NATIONS THAT WILL EVER WIN A WORLD CUP IN THE THREE BIG SPORTS

Just hope zee Germans don't take up cricket or rugby

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket World Cup thread. on 13:19 - Jul 15 with 1613 viewsfrancisbowles

I would love to have heard what the English skipper said to Archer in the super over. After starting with a wide and then a four shortly after, I thought we were about to blow it through nerves but the bowler, just about, managed to hold it together and we got away with it by the 'skin of our teeth'.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 13:32 - Jul 15 with 1569 viewsessextaxiboy

Cricket World Cup thread. on 12:10 - Jul 15 by Snipper

I am English, living in and supporting England . An epic battle but to be honest , it feels like a draw to me .
The World Cup could have been decided by a streaky four from a misfield in the first over of the day
They should have kept on with the super overs until they had a winner... IMO
Cricket World Cup thread. on 13:45 - Jul 15 with 1533 viewsQPR_John

That's up to you, sunshine, but remember, for all the vaunted braggadocio of the English press pumping up how good England is, never mind the home ground advantage and the minnow-sized opposition, England didn't win the game, nor the tie-breaker: they won on a 'technicality'!

No they won under the rules of the competition.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 13:45 - Jul 15 with 1529 viewsSnipper

Cricket World Cup thread. on 13:32 - Jul 15 by essextaxiboy

I am English, living in and supporting England . An epic battle but to be honest , it feels like a draw to me .
The World Cup could have been decided by a streaky four from a misfield in the first over of the day
They should have kept on with the super overs until they had a winner... IMO

In a way I agree, but the rules of the tournament, drawn up by the ICC, state that in the event of a super over being drawn, the team with the most boundaries win.

The England and Wales cricket board didn’t draw up the rules. I certainly don’t feel guilty about the way we won it.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 13:47 - Jul 15 with 1519 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket World Cup thread. on 11:02 - Jul 15 by johnhoop

I expect, as for a lot of people, that was the single most exhilarating and exciting climax to any sporting event that I have ever witnessed. When the final run-out happened I felt ecstatic that we’d won but then immensely sorry for the Kiwis who certainly didn’t deserve to lose.
One thing that puzzled me though was the masses of empty seats you could see at Lords, for an occasion that many people would have been desperate to be able to witness live. Would this simply be because of people who’d bought tickets expecting their own national team would be in the final, and when they weren’t didn’t bother to turn up?

There were a lot of fans of other countries who bought tickets for the final amongst their other games in the tournament,mostly Indian fans,who chose not to go to the final because their countries weren’t there.
But not every England or kiwi could or would pay the silly prices they were being offered at.There we’re loads of touts outside the station yesterday,as there always is for major events.
There was talk of tickets being £2000,which is 1 hell of a mark up.

But there were a lot of Indians who did use their tickets for the game,and it made it a great atmosphere.I was sat next to a indian brother and sister from Dubai who waved my England flag more than I did,and had the best day ever,they told me.

The iccb need to sort out the ticket arrangements for future tournaments in order to have a greater mixture of fans at games instead of being like this one.But the face value price of my ticket in the grand stand was £295,so that won’t help to get people through the gates either.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 14:10]
Cricket World Cup thread. on 14:02 - Jul 15 with 1461 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Another hole in the England failures myth....

Most anglophone / commonwealth countries have Football / Cricket / Rugby as their three main sports (in differing order)

Only one country has won the World Cup of all three.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 14:03 - Jul 15 with 1454 viewsqprd

Cricket World Cup thread. on 13:47 - Jul 15 by stowmarketrange

There were a lot of fans of other countries who bought tickets for the final amongst their other games in the tournament,mostly Indian fans,who chose not to go to the final because their countries weren’t there.
But not every England or kiwi could or would pay the silly prices they were being offered at.There we’re loads of touts outside the station yesterday,as there always is for major events.
There was talk of tickets being £2000,which is 1 hell of a mark up.

But there were a lot of Indians who did use their tickets for the game,and it made it a great atmosphere.I was sat next to a indian brother and sister from Dubai who waved my England flag more than I did,and had the best day ever,they told me.

The iccb need to sort out the ticket arrangements for future tournaments in order to have a greater mixture of fans at games instead of being like this one.But the face value price of my ticket in the grand stand was £295,so that won’t help to get people through the gates either.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 14:10]

So long as there is a secondary market, there is no way to stop this (other than holding the world cup in pakistan, where indians effectively cannot travel).

my uncle flew from texas for the pakistan match and then flew back for the edgbaston semi (we guessed wrong). my dad flew in from thousands of miles away for the semi. at the semifinal, my dad, just by sheer coincidence, bumped into his cousins husband, a work colleague and a family friend.... this was for an england-australia match and all of them live over 3000 miles away

there are 1 billion cricket mad indians, and quite a few of the ones in north america and some in india have a lot of money to burn.

before india was eliminated, the lowest secondary market price for the final was 4000 quid. once india were knocked out, ticket prices went below 1000
Cricket World Cup thread. on 14:06 - Jul 15 with 1433 viewsJamesB1979

Reading posts like this make the enjoyment of winning the World Cup even better! Keep them coming!
Cricket World Cup thread. on 14:07 - Jul 15 with 1430 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Cricket World Cup thread. on 14:03 - Jul 15 by qprd

So long as there is a secondary market, there is no way to stop this (other than holding the world cup in pakistan, where indians effectively cannot travel).

my uncle flew from texas for the pakistan match and then flew back for the edgbaston semi (we guessed wrong). my dad flew in from thousands of miles away for the semi. at the semifinal, my dad, just by sheer coincidence, bumped into his cousins husband, a work colleague and a family friend.... this was for an england-australia match and all of them live over 3000 miles away

there are 1 billion cricket mad indians, and quite a few of the ones in north america and some in india have a lot of money to burn.

before india was eliminated, the lowest secondary market price for the final was 4000 quid. once india were knocked out, ticket prices went below 1000

Ahhh globalisation. Don’t you just love it!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 14:11 - Jul 15 with 1417 viewsMick_S

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48989489

This is fantastic.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 14:39 - Jul 15 with 1362 viewsSnipper

Cricket World Cup thread. on 14:11 - Jul 15 by Mick_S

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48989489

This is fantastic.

Brilliant 👏👏
Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:03 - Jul 15 with 1327 viewseasthertsr

Which captain lifted the trophy? Talk about bitter, the greatest cricket final ever played, with both teams an absolute credit to their countries, unbearable tension and apparently won on a 'technicality'. Actually it was won as part of the playing conditions that every team knew about before the start of the tournament. Lastly my moment of the tournament was when Roy hit his third six in a row (this one a hundred and one metres) off crybaby Smith!
Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:09 - Jul 15 with 1309 viewsTonto

many times are you allowed to watch either Roy hitting those sixes off Smith or that run out on the last ball of the super over before it becomes "too many"?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:19 - Jul 15 with 1288 viewsCamberleyR

Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:03 - Jul 15 by easthertsr

Which captain lifted the trophy? Talk about bitter, the greatest cricket final ever played, with both teams an absolute credit to their countries, unbearable tension and apparently won on a 'technicality'. Actually it was won as part of the playing conditions that every team knew about before the start of the tournament. Lastly my moment of the tournament was when Roy hit his third six in a row (this one a hundred and one metres) off crybaby Smith!

Precisely. As much as i'mabittersadgitatwcity won't admit it,

In the record books it'll say:

2019 Cricket World Cup: Winners - England

It won't say:

2019 Cricket World Cup: Winners - England *
* won on a 'technicality'

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:27 - Jul 15 with 1256 viewsthame_hoops

Well overall we finished above NZ in the table, beat them at Durham already, had a better NRR than them overall so Id say we were deserved winners over the whole tournament. Also NZ qualified on NRR over Pakistan so you could say they qualified for the semis on a technicality...by your logic
Cricket World Cup thread. on 16:02 - Jul 15 with 1183 viewsqprd

England are the best team in the world. There's no team that bats as deep as them, bowls as deep as them, fields so well.

Australia had no middle order and only 3 good bowling options
India had a weak middle over, no tail and only 5 guys who can bowl at all
New Zealand are a glorified county cricket club with the bat with 1 world class player, 1 former great and a bunch of rubbish batsmen

England have jos buttler batting 6th ffs. everyone in their tail bar mark wood can bat. they have 7 good bowling options. i mean, FFS, really good ODI players like moeen ali and hales didnt even make this team. and sam curran, who is an absolute superstar, is waiting in the wings

england got lucky ystd. but theres no question theyre the worlds number 1 (and im not an england fan)
Cricket World Cup thread. on 16:02 - Jul 15 with 1181 viewsisawqpratwcity

Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:19 - Jul 15 by CamberleyR

Precisely. As much as i'mabittersadgitatwcity won't admit it,

In the record books it'll say:

2019 Cricket World Cup: Winners - England

It won't say:

2019 Cricket World Cup: Winners - England *
* won on a 'technicality'

That's absolutely right. England won the 2019 World Cup.

They didn't win the final. They didn't win the super over tie-breaker. They did score more boundaries in the final (somehow this equates with some runs being worth more than others) so this technically means they won.

They also benefited from the umpire's mistake in the last over that credited them with an extra run and incorrectly left the form batsman rather than the newly introduced tail-ender on strike with just two balls left.

What could possibly be wrong with winning like that? Celebrate it! All that stuff about England being the best in the world must be true, mustn't it? They clearly 'beat' New Zealand, didn't they?

Ben Stokes signals that he 'accidentally' just scored a six (in case the umpire might draw a different conclusion).
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 16:05]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024